Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The Powerscourt distillery have launched Ferncullen 18 year old single malt today. Noel Sweeney is the master distiller and they are using old Cooley stock which he would have distilled during his time at Cooley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Has anyone tried the trio pack of whiskies in Lidl?

Pretty sure it's the ones in this link https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/lidl-toasts-world-whisky-day-trio-new-single-malt-whiskies/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the trio pack of whiskies in Lidl?

Pretty sure it's the ones in this link https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/lidl-toasts-world-whisky-day-trio-new-single-malt-whiskies/

Yes it in in stores now for €10.

The Speyside is lovely, wasn't mad on the Islay.
    Disclaimer I usually prefer Speyside to Islay but even given that I thought the Islay wasn't of same quality.

Still to try the Highlands one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cazale wrote:
    Anybody pick up the 12 year old Irish single malt in Aldi. It's getting ok reviews but at €25 a bottle it might be worth a punt. Interestingly it's produced in Ireland but bottled in Scotland.

Sold out in both my local Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi. Now that winter approaches and I'm old I feel it's time to embrace the odd dram of whiskey.

I'm a fan of Jameson and gingerale (is that like Pernod and Lilt to experts???? :o) when I'm out, but not at home. Normally I'd have wine or a couple of G&T's..

I'm thinking Friday, kids in bed, fire lit, reading a book or browsing online... relaxing. (wife's pregnant so I'm on my own on the alcohol). Should I mix it with something? should I have it with ice? What bottle should I buy? I tried Cognacs but their too strong for me and the bottles are lying there with one glass gone!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hi. Now that winter approaches and I'm old I feel it's time to embrace the odd dram of whiskey.

I'm a fan of Jameson and gingerale (is that like Pernod and Lilt to experts???? :o) when I'm out, but not at home. Normally I'd have wine or a couple of G&T's..

I'm thinking Friday, kids in bed, fire lit, reading a book or browsing online... relaxing. (wife's pregnant so I'm on my own on the alcohol). Should I mix it with something? should I have it with ice? What bottle should I buy? I tried Cognacs but their too strong for me and the bottles are lying there with one glass gone!

Thanks.

You should have it whatever way you like it. Drinking whiskey straight isnt everyones cup of tea. If you like ginger ale in your whiskey then theres nothing wrong with that, but I would advise you not to mix premium whiskey with anything as you wont get what makes the whiskey premium by diluting it with anything other than a very VERY small amount of water.

When I started out drinking whiskey I found that taking very small sips of the whiskey helped me to appreciate the complex flavours in the drink. So small that a 30ml measure might last me 30-40mins of drinking time.

If I were you id pick up a Midleton single pot still miniature pack. Theyre about 40 euro in most offlicenses. It contains some of the best whiskeys this country has to offer. Itll give you a taste of the upper premium whiskeys on offer. If thats a bit much you could try the teeling holy trinity miniature pack.

Im not aware of any Scotch miniature packs that you can buy in a local off license or that of Bourbon.

Hogzy wrote:
    Im not aware of any Scotch miniature packs that you can buy in a local off license or that of Bourbon.

Lidl have a scotch miniature set for €10 at the moment. Aldi have a Bushmills one for the same price.

Random mention of 25 year old Ardbeg Lord of the Isles tonight on Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

John_Rambo wrote: »

Thanks.

I am a recent whiskey beginner myself. Only started drinking it about 4 months. Came from the same approach as yourself, time to start enjoying whiskey as I mature in years.

I personally started on a bottle of Jameson with the idea of getting used to drinking whiskey, sipping it and enjoying the aromas and taste. Kept it simple and cheap for the start. I did this for a while then have personally moved onto the stout cask mates and am now enjoying a bottle of black barrel West cork distillery.

That's the way I approached it and it's really worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nice one gang.

I found a few bottles of Jameson in the attic. I'll get sipping tonight.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    Sold out in both my local Aldi.

The Irish 12yo has been restocked onto shelves in my local Aldi D3 so worth bringing the leaflet to the counter - might be in store room. Hopefully it wasnt a once off delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Looking to buy an Xmas bottle for a friend who has recently been involved in a "bog" related project so thinking of a peat filtered whiskey (Connemara) or whisky (Laphroaig) as my budget is sub €50.

Anything else i should be considering, especially Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Tonight I have cracked open a bottle Irishman 12yr old single malt.

Their Founders Edition is better though.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to buy an Xmas bottle for a friend who has recently been involved in a "bog" related project so thinking of a peat filtered whiskey (Connemara) or whisky (Laphroaig) as my budget is sub €50.

I don't think you'll get Laphroaig for sub 50 unless you go up north. and it beats Connemara every time.

Dunville's three kings peated cask is definitely worth considering too as a peat related Irish option. I don't really rate Connemara at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hi all,

There are currently no other Irish peated whiskeys available (edit - the post above proves me wrong there!). They aren't peat-filtered btw; its part of the malting process involving peat smoke (if done conventionally).

A favourite strong, but not insanely peated whisky on here is Talisker which is 46 in O'Briens right now. Laphroig is dearer and I've seen it put frequent whisk(e)y drinkers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I don't think you'll get Laphroaig for sub 50 unless you go up north. and it beats Connemara every time.

It beats Connemara alright. And yes, you need to go north alright. Ballycastle to be precise. And then take the ferry straight to Islay.

Well worth it though ;)

Issue is just that one usually comes back with a crate of bottles ... opposed to one bottle.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Enjoying a bottle of Blenders Dog at the minute, between in store offers and vouchers I picked up a bottle from Dunnes for €40...very nice and lovely caramel hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

no expert but the aldi 12 yo was all over the shelf in my lical aldi on thursday. circa 30 bottles. 1 left today.

no expert but the aldi 12 yo was all over the shelf in my lical aldi on thursday. circa 30 bottles. 1 left today.

Was that the Tipperary Watershed single malt? Saw some in my Aldi today. It's selling for €39.99. Looks interesting, very pale. Good value/interesting buy or not?

Was that the Tipperary Watershed single malt? Saw some in my Aldi today. It's selling for €39.99. Looks interesting, very pale. Good value/interesting buy or not?

No this one for €25:
    https://www.aldi.ie/12-year-old-irish-malt-whiskey/p/021636328122601

12-Year-Old-Irish-Malt-Whiskey.jpg?o=9PbA2hi%40cqE6Z5VlH2NZ4XORsioj&V=n8ao&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Guys,

What are we getting in for xmas?

I've got.....

Redbreast CS
    Laphroaig 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Method and Madness Single Grain
    Writers Tears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nice. What's your preference between the Laphroaig and Ardbeg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anybody tried the Irish Reserve 12 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

would love to get a bottle of Uigeadail for Christmas at a decent price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anybody tried the Irish Reserve 12 yet?
    I tried it and thought it pretty decent, though I'm not really a single malt fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Wailin wrote: »

Hey, i've no preference as yet. I haven't tried either. I had a bottle of bowmore 12 recently which i loved so i thought these two would be a natural progression....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

picachu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

What are we getting in for xmas?

I've got.....

Redbreast CS
    Laphroaig 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Method and Madness Single Grain
    Writers Tears

Nice selection. Don't know much about M&M so please post your thoughts when you get to it.

So far I've got:

Tamnavulin Speyside Sherry Cask
    Talisker 10
    Jameson BB
    Writer's Tears - was just given a bottle, first time, pleasantly surprised. you wouldn't think such a smooth whiskey could be so complex. lovely stuff

Was on the line over a Redbreast 12. Happened to gift a bottle recently and was reminded sometimes it hits me as middling and other times amazing. Still on the fence if it's worth a repurchase but haven't tried the CS yet.
    Wailin wrote: »

My thoughts are Ardbeg is a more refined and nuanced in it's complexity. Laphroaig is an out of control ape escaped it's enclosure. Dark, wicked, fun in a bottle.
    would love to get a bottle of Uigeadail for Christmas at a decent price.

I was recently in the states and picked up a bottle for my time there as I'm a big fan is Islay in general and this was on my bucket list. I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be and I had a whole bottle to think about it over 10 days. I liked the whisky exchange summary is honey, malt, fruit cake, and meat! I always describe the 10 as a peaty, smoky punch in the face. The CS a one-two. So I think the Uigeadail is meant to be the upper-cut and it is indeed big, oily, with christmas cake and treacle. Lots of good elements which together somehow didn't manage to add up more than the sum of it's parts. Overall, it wasn't as appealing as the 10 or a Talisker 10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My Christmas choices consist of the following:

Greenspot
    Yellowspot
    Redspot
    Redbreast 12
    Redbreast 12 CS
    Redbreast Dream Cask 20 PX
    Dingle Single Malt B4
    Dingle Single Pot Still B2
    Teeling Single Grain
    Teeling Single Pot Still B1
    Teeling Stout Cask
    Midleton Barry Crocket 2017
    Powers Johns Lane
    Connemara Peated Single Malt
    Jameson 18 year Limited Reserve
    Jameson Crested

Aberlour 12
    Talisker 10
    Highland Park 12

Woodford Reserve
    Bulliet Rye
    Bulliet
    Makers Mark

:pac:

odyssey06 wrote: »

Two bottles of the 12 year old reserve arrived into my local Aldi in Sandyford this morning.

There's one left if you're quick :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Been a while since I posted int his thread but I'm looking for ideas. I'm owed a bottle from my Dad for a favour I done for him a while back and he knows nothing at all about Whisky (hates the stuff haha) and said to me just pick what I want and he'll get it.

I was gonna tell him to pick up a Woodford as its my go to (along with Slane) but have been thinking of something different? anyone have any ideas? lets say €50/€70 mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement