Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

You can get some great whiskey within that range - I would personally consider Green or Yellow Spot (Yellow is on sale in O'Brians now for €70) or Redbreast 12 which you can always pick up for €60ish.

Whiskey is subjective, very much each to there own but I have yet to hear of anyone disliking the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

If you would go for the upper limit at 70 the Green Spot Leoville Barton is one of the best Irish whiskeys going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I was gonna tell him to pick up a Woodford as its my go to (along with Slane) but have been thinking of something different? anyone have any ideas? lets say €50/€70 mark.

Go for a greenspot, yellow spot or redbreast

If you fancy a scotch try a speyside like a cardhu or aberlour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Looks like Dingle are about to release yet another 'special' whiskey. :rolleyes: Almost fed up of them at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Some good suggestions... Think I'll roll with Yellow Spot maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Some good suggestions... Think I'll roll with Yellow Spot maybe!

I think Yellowspot has the edge on Redbreast given that it's not chill filtered and bottled at 46%

If it's within 5 or 10 euros extra i'd go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I've a single ticket for Whiskey Live tomorrow (Friday 18:00 to 21:30) for sale at face value as work commitments are going to get in the way for me this time. PM me if interested (mods hope thats okay to mention here).

Update: ticket sold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Writers' Tears Copper Pot Marsala Cask...

Sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Roe & Co cask strength (59%) in O'Briens for €58.

Any thoughts? I haven't tried a cask strength whiskey before so looking for a good value entry point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I opened a Glenfiddich 18yr old, that I had on the shelf for a while tonight. Bought it in Tesco in the UK during the summer non the less.

It is quite pleasant.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Picked up the 12yr Irish reserve in Aldi.

It's a lovely drop, and for €25... I'll be back for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl have a triple sampler of the Ben Brachan Single Malts, tenner for 3x50ml - all in tubes like full size bottles.

They're all acceptable if not earth-shattering.

If you don't drink Scotch and want a crash course on styles this is the way to go tbh.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mikeecho wrote: »

Picked one up in one of the Tralee stores earlier. Plenty of stock on the shelf. Think I'll crack it open now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Bought the Aldi 12 year old, anyone know what distillery it came from?

Only challenge now is to get it in out of the car without the wife seeing it and nagging me about it. Apologies, before she gives me some constructive criticism on the fact that I already probably have 20 bottles of whiskey in the house. Wish me luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Bought the Aldi 12 year old, anyone know what distillery it came from?

Only challenge now is to get it in out of the car without the wife seeing it and nagging me about it. Apologies, before she gives me some constructive criticism on the fact that I already probably have 20 bottles of whiskey in the house. Wish me luck.

Bushmills would be a good guess, their 26yo a few years ago was a bushmills production.... hope the 12yo is better, the 26yo should probably have been taken out of the barrel a few years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Must pick up a bottle of that 12 year old, saw it in the shop but wasn't sure. Packaging doesn't do it any favours, a proper 12 vibe off it.

Anyone know if Dunnes have any deals on at the minute? I'm hoping to pick up one of their €25 off €100 vouchers in the paper tomorrow and put it to use at the weekend for two decent bottles, have a bottle of Green Spot that I love but sip sparingly so might go for another one and something else, Powers Johns Lane or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Bushmills would be a good guess, their 26yo a few years ago was a bushmills production.... hope the 12yo is better, the 26yo should probably have been taken out of the barrel a few years earlier

Yeah it's bushmills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Cazale wrote: »
    Yeah it's bushmills.

Still have a bottle of their 26yo....and bought the 12yo just there...I'm thinking it'll be quite like their Black Bush... anybody got tasting notes yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well, successfully smuggled the bottle into the house past the wife! Did a stock check, 2 bottles of whiskey now with some duplicates of my favourites.

On a whiskey related note anyone know the cheapest place to get Glencairn crystal cut glasses? Cheapest I can find is Masters of Malt at £19.95 plus £3.95 delivery to Parcel Motel. Looking to get two for the brother for Christmas, tempted to get a pair as well myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Must pick up a bottle of that 12 year old, saw it in the shop but wasn't sure. Packaging doesn't do it any favours, a proper 12 vibe off it.

Anyone know if Dunnes have any deals on at the minute? I'm hoping to pick up one of their €25 off €100 vouchers in the paper tomorrow and put it to use at the weekend for two decent bottles, have a bottle of Green Spot that I love but sip sparingly so might go for another one and something else, Powers Johns Lane or something like that.

Proper 12 is Bushmills whiskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Still have a bottle of their 26yo....and bought the 12yo just there...I'm thinking it'll be quite like their Black Bush... anybody got tasting notes yet?

No, didn't think it was like Black Bush. More like the Bushmills 10 year old but lighter, honeyed, dellicate, super smooth.

Good writeup here:
    https://westmeathwhiskeyworld.wordpress.com/2019/11/12/irish-reserve-12-year-old-single-malt-40/

Bonus review of the LIDL Ben Bracken scotch taster set from same site:
    https://westmeathwhiskeyworld.wordpress.com/2019/11/14/ben-bracken-triple-pack-single-malts-40/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Had a significant birthday recently and received a bottle of 12 year old Loch Lomond whisky. It's goes down very well indeed and is a good antidote to the colds and viruses doing the rounds at the moment.

Prior to that, I consumed a lovely bottle of Talisker Storm which is distilled on the Isle of Skye. I visited the Talisker distillery there a few years back and it's a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Am rarely in Lidl so browsed by and saw 2 bottles of Ben Bracken Speyside left so picked one up. Just enjoying it now and examining the label trying determine if it is sherry barrel matured but it doesn't say. Not a bad drop by any means: smooth yet robust, honey, a little nuttiness, lots of fruit, spice finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

54and56 wrote: »
    Roe & Co cask strength (59%) in O'Briens for €58.

Any thoughts? I haven't tried a cask strength whiskey before so looking for a good value entry point.

Got the chance to try this at Whiskey Live at the weekend and was really impressed. Very fruity with lots of pear and then you get a slow warm punch from 59%. I tasted this after having tried Middleton 2019 very rare and a redbreast sonny molloy and in my opinion it's just as smooth as those two which is high praise. Shocked its going for €58 in obriens, I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

mikeecho wrote: »

Would it be wiser going for this over the 8yr Queen Margot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Hello there, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question for the more season whisky drinkers as I'd still consider myself an amateur.

I have tried Jameson very rare and I really liked so I was thinking of purchasing a bottle of it for Christmas. However, I was also thinking that I could buy 3 bottles of "decent/good" whisky for around €60 a bottle. I have my eye on Redbreast 12 as it's €55 in O 'Briens at the moment. Just wondering what whiskys people would recommend if I went for the 3 bottles option or should I just splash the cash on the Midleton very rare. I usually drink Jameson and I've tried black barrel, crested, Cask-mates stout and I liked them all if that's any help. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hello there, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question for the more season whisky drinkers as I'd still consider myself an amateur.
    I have tried Jameson very rare and I really liked so I was thinking of purchasing a bottle of it for Christmas. However, I was also thinking that I could buy 3 bottles of "decent/good" whisky for around €60 a bottle. I have my eye on Redbreast 12 as it's €55 in O 'Briens at the moment. Just wondering what whiskys people would recommend if I went for the 3 bottles option or should I just splash the cash on the Midleton very rare. I usually drink Jameson and I've tried black barrel, crested, Cask-mates stout and I liked them all if that's any help. Thanks:D

Before you splash the cash, maybe pickup this miniature set. It's available in some OBriens and Dunnes.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/single-pot-still-gift-4-x-50ml-10860.html

It includes:
    * Redbreast 12 year old
    * Green Spot
    * Midleton Barry Crockett
    * Powers John's Lane

You sometimes see miniature sets for Writers Tears, that is a nice drop too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cormo87 wrote: »
    Got the chance to try this at Whiskey Live at the weekend and was really impressed. Very fruity with lots of pear and then you get a slow warm punch from 59%. I tasted this after having tried Middleton 2019 very rare and a redbreast sonny molloy and in my opinion it's just as smooth as those two which is high praise. Shocked its going for €58 in obriens, I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle.

Just snagged one of the last few Roe&Co cask strength O'Brien's had online - got a Teeling's Poitin as well just for the craic, €29.70/500mL - and a Black Bush for €25 to get the free delivery... Happy Xmas to me :)

PS - got a Caskmates Stout recently for €25 and at that price it's really good. I wasn't mad about the IPA one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Drumshanbo distillery who are behind gunpowder Irish gin have released their first whiskey in the last few days. 12,000 bottles at €80 a bottle. Distilled by themselves so not bushmills/cooley stock like other first releases. Some places like Celtic whiskey shop have already sold out their initial allocation. Description below.

The Drumshanbo inaugural release is a triple distilled Single Pot Still with a mash bill of malted Irish barley, un-malted Irish barley and Irish Barra oats matured in a combination of Kentucky Bourbon barrels and Oloroso Sherry casks. This limited expression contains whiskey from the first ever cask distilled at the Shed Distillery in Leitrim on 21st December 2014 and has incredible rich flavours of pot spice, dried fruits and figgy pudding. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement