Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jake - 01/02 March - High Winds West Coast & Widespread Snow Risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Snowing now in Blessington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

First time this winter I can hear the wind through the monitor in the baby's room. We were supposed to be bringing students on a 5k. Safe to say that's probably not going to happen!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

marno21 wrote: »
    Massive thunder here in Castletroy, Limerick.

Whole house shook

Yeah it woke me in the city centre. The most amazing series of claps. Windows on outside of building rattled and our front door on the inside of the building shook.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet falling here (in Dublin 16). 1.8c atm. Can see a good dusting of snow on the Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

No wind or snow here in Cork this morning so its strange reading all the posts from other areas.Its actually a nice morning here...I presume that will change later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looks like the BBC forecast had it right for the Wicklow Mountains anyway.

There was some evidence around the cars of snow overnight, but woke up to rain which was going between rain and snow then (just about enough to try and slush up the higher bits of the r755 between Roundwood and the sugarloaf).

Didn't have the visibility to make a guess on the snowline.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

dry bright and calm in East galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Total whiteout driving across south Laois this morning, then bright sunny skies in Carlow. Wind gusts very strong this morning, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as winter storms go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy sleet in West Clare almost turning to Wet Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

North county Dublin got hit just after 6am by one of the most intense squalls I can remember. Local reports of a tree down on the Hearse Rd in Donabate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Rain and gusty cold wind in Louth 1c:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Sunny, Cold and breezy in South Dublin. Heard on the radio reports of snow in Tallaght about half an hour ago but mainly clear skies hear near Rathcoole. Some snow on the hills, but gone green again half way down and on the lower slopes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big squally rain/ sleet shower just went through here near Tralee gusting to 77 kph, Suns out now.

Plenty of gusts overnight in the 80's, highest 85.3 kph at 5.03

7mm of Precipitation

I see Mace Head got a gust of 133 kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Heard the wind before I went asleep about midnight. Woke up to clear skies and a nice day.

Where's my snow Kermit? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Omagh co Tyrone just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Heard the wind before I went asleep about midnight. Woke up to clear skies and a nice day.

Where's my snow Kermit? ;)

Wasn't it a rough enough winter without the thoughts of snow now,its spring like weather we should be hoping for from now on

Im a bit confused as to which thread you talk about snow in now
    I'd assumed the spring one was specifically for people wanting spring???

Anyhow, this post is about Thursday into Friday,I'll put it here, mods moved it twice into the spring thread unless I'm going doddery
    But yeah move it wherever but perhaps the spring weather thread should be renamed to 'delayed winter,where is spring' given the outlook?

If you're on high ground Thursday night in the Midlands and east into Friday morning it currently looks good for rain turning to snow and it should settle in higher sub urbs of Dublin for example depending on height and when it turns
    Hard to say where as it will start as a lot of rain,but the snow line could drop to Ballinteer maybe Dundrum/Goatstown or Docharch's area
    Perhaps at a push even down to lepordstown

Same in Wicklow west of the M11 but not exclusively
    You could see snow in the glen of the Downs on the morning commute for example
    Higher vilages from Roundwood, through Annamoe down to Rathdrum and Tinahely could see a lot of settling snow

The East Midlands eg Kildare Carlow up into meath and Louth should also see this though it will vary
    Thats what Im thinking now, it could downgrade or upgrade
    I think it deserves a thread
    If someone creates one,please move this one over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

fepper wrote: »
    Wasn't it a rough enough winter without the thoughts of snow now,its spring like weather we should be hoping for from now on
    ........ almost springlike here, 6.5c and rising.

you know its not snowing in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

If you're on high ground Thursday night in the Midlands and east into Friday morning it currently looks good for rain turning to snow and it should settle in higher sub urbs of Dublin for example depending on height and when it turns
    Hard to say where as it will start as a lot of rain,but the snow line could drop to Ballinteer maybe Dundrum/Goatstown or Docharch's area
    Perhaps at a push even down to lepordstown

Going by your post, this Friday's event could be an amazingly knife edge situation - if your thoughts verify, the difference between lying snow and a slushy mess could be down to a few 10's of metres.....ie: 2 adjacent areas in south Dublin could potentially have completely different weather conditions.

No matter what the outcome, this is proper exciting edge of your seat chat.

There, I've jinxed it!

highdef wrote: »
    Going by your post, this Friday's event could be an amazingly knife edge situation - if your thoughts verify, the difference between lying snow and a slushy mess could be down to a few 10's of metres.....ie: 2 adjacent areas in south Dublin could potentially have completely different weather conditions.

No matter what the outcome, this is proper exciting edge of your seat chat.

There, I've jinxed it!

Aye,Ive often seen sticking snow in Goatstown Dundrum but rain mixed snow in UCD
    Its that tight
    We'll see,the rain band first and then let's see if it engages enough cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Jasus, that was the worst night for a long while! Scary stuff. East Clare had all that thunder/lightening before Limerick - must have been about 11pm when I fell off the sofa with the first bang (or rather, lengthy explosion sounding like the next village was blowing up). Son came running out of his room to see if the rest of the house had fallen down! Is there any more like that predicted? Never heard the like of it except in Italy in a summer storm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as I expected the snow didnt happen, but the wind last night especially around 6am was unreal, woke everyone up and rain bashing against the windows for most of the night as well. Much dryer and sunnier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had a few snowflakes last night then the wind came and mildened everything up westside

Very howley wind

We need calm

Strong winds bring Atlantic muck

Friday is last chance saloon

As an aside you can often judge the weather for yourself just by checking out sat24

Yesterday people were saying widespread snow which there was some of but the sat showed showers swinging west east after they reached ni.

Also the storm kind of embedded itself in the wintry flow thereby scattering around any major snowfall potential like a child having a major lego kicking tantrum going to bed

Both really happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Highest gusts last night which are subject to QC

Mace Hd: 72 knots
    Valentia: 62 knots

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Highest gusts last night which are subject to QC

Mace Hd: 72 knots
    Valentia: 62 knots

I had to get up around 5am to open the vent on the front of the house as it was vibrating during the higher sustained gusts. First time that has happened in 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Aye,Ive often seen sticking snow in Goatstown Dundrum but rain mixed snow in UCD
    Its that tight
    We'll see,the rain band first and then let's see if it engages enough cold
    Last winter there was one evening (end of Jan I think) of snow that this was exactly the case. I left Clonskeagh in wintry mix and it was sticking by Goatstown and around Mount Merrion and it was mayhem at the M50 junctions and roundabouts at Leaopardstown/ Beacon (luckily I baled to the lower road by then).

If the weather gods are listening - I'm ok with Friday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Can anyone inform me about Friday what's it supposed to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I didn't record snow but I recorded graupel and a mix of quick on and off downpours. Strong winds up to 70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Well this what MetCheck.com is saying for me here in Aylesbury, Tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Can anyone inform me about Friday what's it supposed to be like

From Met Eireann:

"TOMORROW NIGHT: Becoming dry for a time as winds ease and clear spells develop. However later in the night a few wintry showers are likely - most of these affecting Ulster, coastal counties of the west and southwest; moving into northern and eastern parts of Leinster towards morning. Very cold with a sharp frost as well as some icy stretches. Lowest temperatures of 0 to minus 3 degrees Celsius, in light westerly breezes.

FRIDAY: Feeling raw, with brisk northerly winds feeding down a mix of sunshine and wintry showers. Showers of sleet and snow in parts to begin, with the eastern half of the country seeing most of these. Becoming mostly dry in the afternoon, with well scattered rain showers. However eastern fringes will remain at risk of further wintry falls, as the band of precipitation pulls away eastwards into the Irish Sea. Highest temperatures will range just 4 to 7 degrees Celsius, with an added wind chill, coldest across eastern areas. A slight to sharp frost will set in after dark as skies clear and winds ease. "

You can also try MT. Craniums forecast which is stickied on the weather forum.

Anyone else have information on the snow risk on Thurs night and Friday?

Advertisement