Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jake - 01/02 March - High Winds West Coast & Widespread Snow Risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 5pm TAF gives temporary snow showers at Dublin, Knock and Belfast airports overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

dewpoint down to -1 at Donegal airport now. i do like the weather advisory from met eireann, gives a nice picture to the "ordinary" person for whats in store

Weather Advisory for Coastal fringes of the north, west and south.
    Details of Storm Jake
    A depression in the Atlantic to the south of Iceland will track eastwards to the North of Ireland tonight and become complex. A small low pressure centre or trough is expected to cross northern parts of Ireland and will sustain a very strong core of winds over the southern two thirds of the country, producing a storm force gradient in western and southern sea areas and an orange status wind warning has been issued for coastal counties of the north, west and south

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That is some Wintry forecast for tonight from MetEireann Tonight

Showers will continue tonight and will merge to longer spells of rain, sleet and snow overnight. Accumulations likely, the most over the northern half of the country and over hills and mountains in all areas. Some hail and thunder also with gale force and squally westerly winds, stormy in coastal areas of the west and southwest. Lowest temperatures between zero or minus 1 and plus 3 degrees, risk of icy stretches in sheltered areas most especially in the east and north.
    More

Area of low pressure tracking well off the North Coast but the strongest winds in the Southern two thirds. Could be some big gusts in those squally showers.

2IDTWhO.png?1

Very wet here overnight and increasing blustery showers this evening with 11.8mm now in the gauge. Bite in the wind at 6.7C, 10 min avg wind speed 23 kph , gust 50 kph here near Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Those showers coming in off the Atlantic look pretty hefty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavy hail and sleet shower here in Galway...unusual for a storm to be coming down from the north-west tonight should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

patneve2 wrote: »
    Those showers coming in off the Atlantic look pretty hefty

Sitting here in Donegal Town watching radar too. Heaviest looking radar showers I've seen in a while. Remains to be seen how the travel over land. I'll keep ye posted. Should be hear soon.

Intense hail here in Castlebar!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Galway / Clare getting the strongest winds around 4.00/5.00 and peaking a couple of hours later in Kerry. Looks like plenty of strong wind making it well inland in Southern counties for a time early morning.

4maTUsT.png

eejnuy1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Here's hoping we get to see a bit of the 'white gold' tonight Doc ;)

FSRHadT.png?1

Some recent Spherics too...

LTRKuUT.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

For someone who doesn't have the vaguest understanding of all this is there any snow likely for Carlow/the South East?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It seems that the high wind to the south will draw down cold air with snow and ice to the northern half of the county overnight.

I doubt the South East will see much.

That radar image on the previous page gives a much better idea as to the intensity of the showers that new met eireann radar is useless now

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Heavy snow shower hear at the moment near knock airport. Starting to stick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Hooter23 wrote: »
    That radar image on the previous page gives a much better idea as to the intensity of the showers that new met eireann radar is useless now

I notice ME use a different radar colour code on the RTE forecast (utilising the yellow & red) to the one used on their website which as Hooter23 states, is quite useless with too many similar colours, making the rainfall density near impossible to read. I emailed them about this, but got no reply. :(

Northern Counties getting a fair pasting of snow acccording to the GFS

HDVnOhY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Snowing lightly in tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Northern Counties getting a fair pasting of snow acccording to the GFS

HDVnOhY.gif

Ah seriously!!!!! Missing Dublin completely grrrrrr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

south-east meath missing out as well. realistically it will be the usual places that will see any worthwhile lying snow: inland Donegal, Northern Ireland, Cavan and Monaghan.

Part of tonights weather associated with Jake: the ever increasing spherics moving closer to the NW coast no doubt bringing big squally showers of hail with them.

6WwXfFQ.gif

Lower Temps spreading down the country ...

15afdJg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Gonzo wrote: »
    south-east meath missing out as well. realistically it will be the usual places that will see any worthwhile lying snow: inland Donegal, Northern Ireland, Cavan and Monaghan.
    That's not correct imo.
    The vast majority of the country will see falling snow. Lying snow may be confined to hills further South.
    Either way a fast melt tomorrow morning.
    Having said that we wait for snow all year so in that regard it should be memorable.
    just make sure you get up early

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's not correct imo.
    The vast majority of the country will see falling snow. Lying snow may be confined to hills further South.
    Either way a fast melt tomorrow morning.
    Having said that we wait for snow all year so in that regard it should be memorable.
    just make sure you get up early

Oh feck ya Now I'll be up all night watching snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thundersnow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

After midnight is when the action gets going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunderhail here in Achill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Eek, power is gone and thunder/lightening directly overhead. For a second there I thought I was about to be beamed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thundersnow !!!
    Where?

The bigger showers look like there starting to move into the west now...

Showing up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

sunbeam wrote: »
    Eek, power is gone and thunder/lightening directly overhead. For a second there I thought I was about to be beamed up..

Where abouts is your location. ?

Advertisement