Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jake - 01/02 March - High Winds West Coast & Widespread Snow Risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Will any white gold find it's way to Dublin tonight or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

onmebike wrote: »
    Is anybody else getting excited about this? I am, but it seems quite subdued in here.

meemeeemeeee!! :)

I have everything crossed for a "significant covering" of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

kittyn wrote: »
    Too many false dawns here this year and I think everyone is very sceptical...... I will get excited when I see the flakes falling :)

Hear hear

I reckon ill wake up to soakn wet slushy hailstones gone in 10mins

Maybe inland will hold onto whiteness but when you live on the coast of sligo

1. Ben Bulben blocks direct northerlies moderating shower activity
    2. NW winds have to travel thousands of miles over cool but not cold sea . Therefore to fall as snow there needs to be a period of transition that can take the snow aspect inland.
    3. If theres pure snow it tends to whirl around and miss urban sligo completely

Therefore Im subdued.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even if there is a slight covering in places it will be melted by this time tomorrow. Too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

kittyn wrote: »
    Too many false dawns here this year and I think everyone is very sceptical...... I will get excited when I see the flakes falling :)

But it's tonight...not 3 or 4 nights time. I'm getting my snow goggles out of storage anyway :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Is anybody else getting excited about this? I am, but it seems quite subdued in here.

I really want to get excited but I feel it's going to completely missed Naas or just rain.

I been hurt too many times over the years. It won't stop me throwing open the curtains at 6 am hoping it is white and have my hopes dashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    even if there is a slight covering in places it will be melted by this time tomorrow. Too little too late.

I still prefer to see snow, and if it settles for a while at this time year it's a bonus. Perhaps If this winter had been a snow fest i might think differently. Anyway i will just miss out on the action tonight. Well,maybe there will be still some snow to be had between six and seven in the morning. If not the weekend is looking promising at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

May the weather gods forgive me, but tomorrow really doesn't suit! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Storm officially named Jake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Macy0161 wrote: »
    May the weather gods forgive me, but tomorrow really doesn't suit! :eek:

I'd say your more likely than most on this side of the country to see the white gold tomorrow morning! Wish I could take it off ye!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Storm officially named Jake

Where did you see that Iancar? No mention of name on ME app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If it were december or january, i'd have the party hats out, but its march, there's heat in the sun now, so whatever falls isn't worth it's time, i want snow that will last for a day or 2 so the kids can play in it, not looking out the window at it, while it melts away within an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Shame, I absolutely love the cold weather and a nice bit of sneachta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Rikand wrote:
    Significant Covering!

2 - 5cm ain't no significant covering in my book!

*yearns for the winter of 2010*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dial Hard wrote: »
    2 - 5cm ain't no significant covering in my book!

*yearns for the winter of 2010*

It's good for this time of year. You are not alone, I am sure most of of the posters here would love to see a winter month like December 2010 again.
    We should take a gigantic hairdryer to the polar vortex or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd say your more likely than most on this side of the country to see the white gold tomorrow morning! Wish I could take it off ye!
    Has the feeling of a 250m+ event to me to be honest.

When is 230m odd asl not really high ground? When the snow line is 250m!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

HIRLAM has a small zone of 56 knot (B.F 11 ) mean winds encroaching on the Mayo coast later tonight as a shortwave moves in.

methirlam.png

This feature could move slightly further north or south in reality, but does look concerning for areas that will be affected.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is this the thread for the wind? I created one (as per usual a different thread for a different event) but it was locked. Any input from mods?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is this the thread for the wind? I created one (as per usual a different thread for a different event) but it was locked. Any input from mods?

For both now. :)

I did not close your other thread, however, I reckon one thread is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So where the hell did Storm Jake come from it seems to have caught everyone off their guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Why create a different thread for the same storm?

12z NNM showing very similar ppn as per the 6z. Northern coast with an upgrade of the heaviest showers now making it onshore.

379121.png

DOCARCH wrote: »
    For both now. :)

I did not close your other thread, however, I reckon one thread is sufficient.

Thanks for the response. Going with previous trends I decided to open a new thread as wind and snow are very different things (We had a different threads for the wind and rain aspects of a storm before!)

Has this been officially named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

Is it likely to be windy in the midlands tomorrow?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks for the response. Going with previous trends I decided to open a new thread as wind and snow are very different things (We had a different threads for the wind and rain aspects of a storm before!)

Yes, but neither are really that significant in that the high winds are mainly a risk for coastal areas/offshore, and, the snow risk will be more of a nuisance factor. Any snow that falls will be pretty transient.
    Has this been officially named?

According to UKMO....MetE named it. Dropping them in it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Storm 10 wrote: »
    So where the hell did Storm Jake come from it seems to have caught everyone off their guard.

I heard it mentioned on the early morning forecast on radio 1 yesterday morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I closed the other thread as was going to merge it with this and change the title but life got in the way and I got called away for a few hours so didn't get a chance , thank for sorting out Docarch

DOCARCH wrote: »

According to UKMO....MetE named it. Dropping them in it! :P

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/704694583762882561

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I closed the other thread as was going to merge it with this and change the title but life got in the way and I got called away for a few hours so didn't get a chance , thank for sorting out Docarch

ZADzEsp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Is Dublin in on this event?

• Advertisement

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Is Dublin in on this event?
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Coastal fringes of the north, west and south
    Westerly winds, veering northwest, will increase to mean speeds of 65 to 75km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h overnight in exposed areas with high seas also.

Issued:Tuesday 01 March 2016 13:34
    Valid:Tuesday 01 March 2016 22:00 to Wednesday 02 March 2016 08:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland
    Westerly winds veering northwest overnight are expected to reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h.

Issued:Tuesday 01 March 2016 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 01 March 2016 20:00 to Wednesday 02 March 2016 10:00

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Coastal fringes of the north, west and south.
    Details of Storm Jake
    A depression in the Atlantic to the south of Iceland will track eastwards to the North of Ireland tonight and become complex. A small low pressure centre or trough is expected to cross northern parts of Ireland and will sustain a very strong core of winds over the southern two thirds of the country, producing a storm force gradient in western and southern sea areas and an orange status wind warning has been issued for coastal counties of the north, west and south.

Issued:Tuesday 01 March 2016 16:00
    Valid:Tuesday 01 March 2016 21:00 to Wednesday 02 March 2016 08:00

Dublin's in Ireland isn't it :D So yes, it's under a yellow warning. Don't expect too much.

Very blustery here in West Clare at the moment, although calming after the passing shower.

Advertisement