Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

1235759

Comments



  • "What? No, I wasn't dead. I was just... pining for the fjords..."




  • Ah no, this is great fun... try figuring out a few!

    Uuuuuhhhh.... no one knew, but Clark had an identical twin!

    He was going undercover and had to fake his own death.

    Similar vein, he had to go into witness protection as he had some of the evidence to take Luthor down.

    You guys know that cloning machine Luthor had? Well, he tested it on Clark, see. The body wasn't Clark Prime, it was the copy he made.


    I'm out, I think the second one is the most likely :D

    I've a better one. He was Clark form Earth 2 brought here by the rift caused by a particle accelerator at Star Labs (ala Flash TV show).

    I suppose they can use whatever they want, but I'm going to bet now that it'll be a serious leaky bucket from a story point of view....




  • I don't remember an open casket scene but they did say that Clark was buried in Smallville alright.

    Doing the Death of Superman in te first place was a stupid move. It ruined the very concept of death in comic books when it was originally done and has basically done the same for the movies now. Once thy bring him back for Justice League, there will be no threat to him again in any of their movies because the audience will know that death will only ever be temporary for him. Can't believe they'd be so stupid...




  • I don't remember an open casket scene but they did say that Clark was buried in Smallville alright.

    It shows Martha putting a picture of Clark and Pa Kent into the coffin, then holding Clark's hand. Just before she goes up to Lois and gives her the engagement ring.




  • techdiver wrote: »
    Sorry, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was saying that it's odd that she is fighting against humans in hand to hand combat. It would be like Superman in the fist fight with a human. It doesn't fit with her abilities if you know what I mean.

    Depends on context. The hand to hand combat could be her averting something in the last minute which would be fine by me. It wouldn't be like Bruce actively seeking out the scum of Gotham for a baiting. She probably has no choice but to act in the moment.

    Then there's the actual battlefield scenes where it's her and her shield/sword against soldiers with modern weaponary (for the time period), which is fair as well.


  • Advertisement


  • I don't remember an open casket scene but they did say that Clark was buried in Smallville alright.

    Doing the Death of Superman in te first place was a stupid move. It ruined the very concept of death in comic books when it was originally done and has basically done the same for the movies now. Once thy bring him back for Justice League, there will be no threat to him again in any of their movies because the audience will know that death will only ever be temporary for him. Can't believe they'd be so stupid...

    Yeah, the open casket scene was definitely in it. Even without the open casket scene, it would still be a stretch to say, "Hey, we actually buried the wrong guy...".

    As soon as Doomsday was announced for BvS, I knew Superman would die, as that's what Doomsday does, he kills Superman. It's why I didn't want Doomsday in the movie. He would have been better to keep in reserve for a Solo Superman movie or a Justice League movie. Alas, to quote some of our "legendary Irish politicians", "we are where we are!".

    One thing is for sure, it will be interesting how they handle the whole comeback thing from both a Superman and Clark viewpoint. Will they go down the "clone" route and use him as an interim bad guy for Justice League before Steppenwolf shows up with the real Superman being resurrected in parallel etc. Will he have the long hair and black suit? I suppose the Superman arc of the story is the easy bit. Clark is going to be the difficult one. I'll be pissed off if they just leave him dead!




  • I had a sense of impending dread over Doomsday being introduced this early but I was excited for, if nothing else, the design of the creature.

    I got fcuked in that regard unfortunately, ditto on Apocalypse.

    2016 has been a very disappointing cinematic year for me in terms of things that I've been waiting to come to fruition since I was a kid.




  • The trouble with doing a MoS sequel is the dark tone that DC/WB have persisted with for these films. I have no problem with a dark tone provided its done right but it just doesn't suit Superman who is supposed to be a source of hope and optimism.




  • FunLover18 wrote: »
    The trouble with doing a MoS sequel is the dark tone that DC/WB have persisted with for these films. I have no problem with a dark tone provided its done right but it just doesn't suit Superman who is supposed to be a source of hope and optimism.

    I have a strong feeling the grimdark stuff will be dropped as soon as Snyder is out the door.




  • Ah, the dark tone's easily rid of; this is comics we're talking about - ain't no problem a quick timeline reset can't fix & boom, Superman's smiling again. Hell, now that The Flash is in the movieverse it's doubly easy given timeline tinkering's his modus operandi :D


  • Advertisement


  • The dark visual can be irritating at times when it feels like I'm watching a 2D showing in 3D but really it's the least of their problems.

    Establishing a tone and sticking to it for better or worse.
    Playing to character strengths.
    Story which includes editing properly.

    They are the areas of priorities in equal measure. The other issues are just irritants that are amplified by the major boo boos.




  • Black Manta
    revealed as the villain for 2018 Aquaman film.




  • There seems to be trouble on the horizon at Warner/DC, an alleged ex employee has posted an open letter, and here is said letter, obviously grains of salt at the ready..

    When I left my screening of Suicide Squad last week, I was angry. I was annoyed and let down and frustrated as well, but mostly I was just angry.

    Look, I'm a big dork. So of course I thought this trainwreck of a movie did a major disservice to the characters, concept, cast, and crew, but that wasn't why I was mad. Yes, it is unfathomable to me that Warner Bros could mess up a movie starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and The Joker so completely. But that just had me flummoxed.

    I was angry because I couldn't stop thinking about you, Kevin Tsujihara.

    A lot of fans might be angry (and rightfully so) because you keep completely whiffing at properties that they are desperate to love and enjoy, but this is a little more personal for me. See, I am a former Warner Bros employee. I have so much respect for your studio. I love every square inch of that magical backlot, from Stars Hollow to the fitness center I always meant to use. The people I worked with during my time with your company are now close friends. On my last day, I hugged them and I told them I loved them.

    I was also there in 2014, when you made the decision to lay off 10 percent of your workforce. It was a terrible year. Let me catch you up: Every morning I woke up with a pit in my stomach, because I assumed that would be the day I lost my job. Every day I saw someone packing up their desk, or carrying a box to their car. I can not describe to you the relief I felt when my department was told we were safe, or the guilt I felt afterwards walking through the halls of my office with that relief.

    But out of all that, the thing that really sticks with me is the memo you sent to all of us. Let me refresh you on my favorite part:

    I wanted you to hear directly from me about our plans for the studio. In recent days, we have started to hear rumors here at the company and to read misinformation in the press, so I'd like to set the record straight. I know that the hard work and dedication of every employee around the world is the key to Warner Bros.' success, and I am sorry for the distraction this situation brings to the workplace.

    At Warner Bros., we work with the world's most extraordinary storytellers, and our focus has always been to provide the creative environment and financial resources they need to realize their vision. Our commitment to that won't change. In fact, we're investing more than ever in our film and television productions.

    This is how you opened a memo about layoffs. "Hey guys, we work hard for the people telling stories here and we want to make sure those visions are realized." The balls on you.

    That year we pursued the storytelling vision of Adam Sandler's Blended and Clint Eastwood's Jersey Boys. Failures. We pursued a potentially great summer movie like Edge of Tomorrow and completely botched its release. Same with Man From UNCLE. We dug in our heels and hoped The Hobbit Trilogy would somehow stop being a mediocre case of diminishing returns. Talented, loyal people packed their boxes and went home while your story tellers dropped the ball.

    One could argue that this was not your fault. That you inherited former CEO Barry Meyer's agenda and were merely trying to correct the course of an ocean liner heading for an iceberg.

    I would not make this argument. And here's why: I wrote this letter last year. I actually started forming it in my head after Man of Steel was a box office failure instead of the modern classic tentpole you were expecting.

    I kept holding off on doing anything with it because of one title: Suicide Squad. Zack Snyder's Dawn of Justice was a fiasco, but here comes this plucky little dark adventure about antiheroes. I love David Ayer. I love Harley Quinn. I love Will Smith. Put the letter in a drawer. The ship isn't sinking anymore. Everything is fine. There's no way this movie is bad.

    And here we are. I got back from my screening and dusted this sucker off. You, your executive team, and the vision of your 'extraordinary storytellers' that resulted in the loss of around one thousand jobs seem intent on crashing the ship into as much **** as you can find in the ocean by making inane decisions over and over again.

    Zack Snyder is not delivering. Is he being punished? Assistants who were doing fantastic work certainly were. People in finance and in marketing and in IT. They had no say in a movie called Batman V Superman only having 8 minutes of Batman fighting Superman in it, that ends because their moms have the same name. Snyder is a producer on every DC movie. He is still directing Justice League. He is being rewarded with more opportunity to get more people laid off. I'm assuming you yourself haven't been financially affected in any real way. You and your studio are the biggest lesson about life one can learn: The top screws up and the bottom suffers. Peter Jackson phones it in and a marketing supervisor has to figure out a plan B for house payments.

    Your uneven Hall H presentation at Comic Con this year was a ridiculous mess that ranged from rushed to boring. When Marvel announced their full slate of films with a fun fan event several years ago, you announced yours on a shareholder conference call.

    You just don't get it. And it's not just DC movies, it's your whole slate. Jupiter Ascending. Get Hard. Hot Pursuit. Max. Vacation. Pan. Point Break. ****ing PAN, you jerk. People lost their jobs and you decided Pan was a good idea. You think another Jungle Book is a good idea.

    What are you even doing? I wish to God you were forced to live out of a car until you made a #1 movie of the year. Maybe Wonder Woman wouldn't be such a mess. Don't try to hide behind the great trailer. People inside are already confirming it's another mess. It is almost impressive how you keep rewarding the same producers and executives for making the same mistakes, over and over.

    If I worked at a donut stand, and I kept ****ing up donuts, I'd be fired. Even if I made a tiny decent one every now and then, it doesn't matter. I'm gonna get fired.

    I love that studio, and you're allowing it to sink. It's not about making movies for 'the fans' and not 'the critics.' It's not even about 'ruining childhoods.' It's about protecting livelihoods.

    It's time to wake up and make the ****ing donuts, Kevin.




  • What a champ!




  • Seen that posted elsewhere on some donkey website. Wouldn't be surprised if it's largely made up.

    Giving it the benefit of doubt she makes a comment AS AN EX EMPLOYEE for a considerable time that Wonder Woman will be terrible and all the hack websites are picking up on it as fact, as if she gave some major verifiable inside info way.

    It's embarrassing really.




  • Well for a start, nowhere does it mention the gender of who wrote it, though whoever wrote it, I tip my hat for the use of the Big Trouble In Little China reference in using the pseudonym Gracie Law..

    Something needs to be done, if Wonder Woman sinks, I can see the screeching end of the DCEU.




  • Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well for a start, nowhere does it mention the gender of who wrote it, though whoever wrote it, I tip my hat for the use of the Big Trouble In Little China reference in using the pseudonym Gracie Law..

    Something needs to be done, if Wonder Woman sinks, I can see the screeching end of the DCEU.
    Given that they've hired the likes of Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller, The Rock as Black Adam and Ray Fisher as Cyborg to multi film contracts and who have yet to make their first major appearance, I doubt they'll be willing to suffer the embarrassment of cancelling all of those deals to massive cost and reputational damage.

    That's not to mention the big hitters who are already on multi film contracts such as Affleck, Gadot and Cavill.

    As long as this universe makes money, which it is as Suicide Squad is doing better than expected after the savage reviews in the box office, this franchise is going nowhere.




  • Well on a technicality, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher have already made their first major appearance by way of cameo in Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, do cameos count? Open to correction on that..

    IF and big IF, The DCEU were to come to a screeching halt, and those multi film contracts canned, Warner/DC would be taken the cleaners several times over..

    I'm not denying it's making money, but some changes need to be made, Snyders & Goyer being 3 examples..

    Also pity the fools who pay attention to box office reviews, go in watch the film, form your own opinion..

    Warner/DC have a recipe/plan, but it's a case of one too many cooks.. They need someone to be their version of Marvel's Kevin Feige, and I'm hoping it'll be Geoff Johns..




  • There will always be a loophole in the contracts that benefit the studio's if they want to end a stars contract so I wouldn't think that would be an issue if somehow the pull the plug on the Universe which they won't imo.

    I said it before Goyer is as big an issue as Snyder for me and it will be harder to get them out of their contracts for the studio because they are more ingrained with studio because of how deep they intertwined with other projects for the studio.


    Like it or not Snyder is leading this Universe for the long haul.




  • I think I read a report that said after Justice League Part 1 Snyder will quietly step away from directing in the franchise while remaining a producer.

    I think he said himself that JL1 will mark the end of his trilogy of films.


  • Advertisement


  • There will always be a loophole in the contracts that benefit the studio's if they want to end a stars contract so I wouldn't think that would be an issue if somehow the pull the plug on the Universe which they won't imo.

    I said it before Goyer is as big an issue as Snyder for me and it will be harder to get them out of their contracts for the studio because they are more ingrained with studio because of how deep they intertwined with other projects for the studio.


    Like it or not Snyder is leading this Universe for the long haul.

    Geoff Johns is leading the DCEU. His influence won't be felt for a while because he's just come in but definitely after Justice League, it'll be his show.




  • I have some belief Wonder Woman will be good from the trailer. Neither B vs S or SS trailers impressed me at all.

    But the director and the studio are hardly going to come out and agree with whoever wrote the letter.

    The Spin is on now they would have been better to just ignore it I think.




  • Agreed but Jenkins said one thing in particular that was interesting, that they're actually going to prove that article is false.

    Whether they follow up on that is another thing, but one thing is for certain that if they do prove it to be false, more of that needs to happen. Hack websites have gotten away with bull**** for far too long.




  • Also the DCEU might not be tearing up the Box Office like the MCU but it is making a pretty healthy profit for the studio with the 3 movies so far they have made about a Billion profit all things considered that's ok I would imagine for them while they have a troubled start to the Universe and more films in the pipeline.




  • Box office doesn't really bother me as long as enough money is made to keep the train running.

    Saying a reboot could happen is all well and good but how do you reboot an entire universe? We probably won't see another DC film for ten years if that happens. So we should be hoping that the DCEU improves, not fail.




  • Unless films start losing we're not going to see the end of the DCEU. We might see a reshuffle though if they keep on disappointing shareholders RoI.

    If you were likely to make 10 cent for every dollar you invested with Warner, or 30 cent with Universal, which would you take? That's the real danger (note I have no idea how Warner perform next to Universal :D )




  • Also the DCEU might not be tearing up the Box Office like the MCU but it is making a pretty healthy profit for the studio with the 3 movies so far they have made about a Billion profit all things considered that's ok I would imagine for them while they have a troubled start to the Universe and more films in the pipeline.

    It will take time for DC to build momentum with their movies. I think alot of people forget it took Marvel six films to get that momentum to translate into box office numbers. Its like people are expecting DC to get the numbers Marvel have now within their first film. Marvel gets the numbers they do because they have had more time to establish there characters and create an emotional connection with the audience, DC will get there in time I'm sure with the more movies they release.

    On a side note I don't get this team mentally that is present between fans of DC and Marvel. In the end of the day these are just movies for our entertainment and there is no need for this unnecessary hate that goes back and forth between these fans.




  • Hb6g6 wrote: »

    On a side note I don't get this team mentally that is present between fans of DC and Marvel. In the end of the day these are just movies for our entertainment and there is no need for this unnecessary hate that goes back and forth between these fans.

    Some people are just sad.

    I don't think any further analysis is warranted to be honest.


  • Advertisement


  • Hb6g6 wrote: »
    It will take time for DC to build momentum with their movies. I think alot of people forget it took Marvel six films to get that momentum to translate into box office numbers. Its like people are expecting DC to get the numbers Marvel have now within their first film. Marvel gets the numbers they do because they have had more time to establish there characters and create an emotional connection with the audience, DC will get there in time I'm sure with the more movies they release.

    On a side note I don't get this team mentally that is present between fans of DC and Marvel. In the end of the day these are just movies for our entertainment and there is no need for this unnecessary hate that goes back and forth between these fans.

    I'm a big fan of both companies in general, but Iron Man took nearly 4 times its budget. That's a humongous return on investment compared to the DC films, and when it comes to funding, that's what counts, and if questions are being asked in Warner that's what they will be focused on.

    That said the immediate follow up for marvel- Hulk- did nothing like that, and people weren't up in arms, so your point still stands :)

    I also agree fanboyism is getting kinda tired. I just want excellent films featuring these characters I've loved since I was young!


Advertisement