Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Awesome. So long as they don't kill him and he can come back for future films he could be a great recurring enemy. I wonder who's playing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Fingers crossed.

I presumed the shot of Deathstroke was for the JL movie (and it may still be) but reports are saying Deathstroke is going to be the main baddie in The Batman. Now I'm really excited. A fresh villian for Batman to face with the potential for some incredible fight 1v1 fight scenes (which have been kinda lacking in previous Batman films with the exception of Bane in TDKR).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭techdiver

Penn wrote: »
    I presumed the shot of Deathstroke was for the JL movie (and it may still be) but reports are saying Deathstroke is going to be the main baddie in The Batman. Now I'm really excited. A fresh villian for Batman to face with the potential for some incredible fight 1v1 fight scenes (which have been kinda lacking in previous Batman films with the exception of Bane in TDKR).

Which in fairness was a poor fight scene. Very slow and ponderous. If it wasn't for the crowds fighting around them it would have looked damn awful. One thing the nailed in BvS was the Batman fighting in the warehouse scene. That is how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Am I the only one not blown away by this ? Like he's a mercenarie that wears a mask , basically a serious deadpool and before I got flamed I know deathstroke was around 1st

• Advertisement

Am I the only one not blown away by this ? Like he's a mercenarie that wears a mask , basically a serious deadpool and before I got flamed I know deathstroke was around 1st

He is in some ways the perfect foe for batman. Tactical, intelligent, dangerous and very violent. He is the bad guy version of batman.

We rarely see a proper physical foe for batman in a live action movie and in my opinion he is up there at the top of the pile!

techdiver wrote: »
    Which in fairness was a poor fight scene. Very slow and ponderous. If it wasn't for the crowds fighting around them it would have looked damn awful. One thing the nailed in BvS was the Batman fighting in the warehouse scene. That is how it's done.

I meant their fight in the tunnels where Bane just kicks the sh*t out of Batman. That was an awesome fight.

He's never been a huge top-tier villain (as in if you asked people to name their top 10 Batman villains, he'd make very few lists), but in terms of fighting and tactics, he's one of the best matches to go up against Batman.

From a trailer for one of the Arkham games

I think people are excited more so for them going outside the box and picking a villain who could put up a real fight against Batman rather than someone like Penguin, Riddler or Two-Face (somewhat more obvious choices) but who don't really fight themselves.

I meant their fight in the tunnels where Bane just kicks the sh*t out of Batman. That was an awesome fight.

Not as much of a fight though as a beat down from Bane.

Not as much of a fight though as a beat down from Bane.

Let's not derail the thread with semantic debates around the word 'fight'.

Let's not derail the thread with semantic debates around the word 'fight'.

In all fairness I think it is a valid distinction. I was making the point that in TDKR, the "fight" scenes were tepid at best and it was put to me that the scene where basically Bane ****s Batman up was a good "fight scene". I disagree as Batman just got his ass handed to him and showed nowhere near the fighting ability that was shown in BvS. Nolan made good movies, but he couldn't do hand to hand combat scenes for **** imo. Snyder for all his faults, is a good visual director and does get these things right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

They've really tried to build up Deathstroke in recent years to varied success, with Arkham Knight perhaps illustrating best the potential the character has. I mean of film of Deathstroke somehow masterminding a coup of Gotham sounds very good on paper.

I'd prefer if Deathstroke shared the screen with maybe another from the gallery however, with perhaps Penguin or Black Mask being the most suited to the story. Either one could play the role of mob boss sucked in by Deathstroke only for Deathstroke to reveal his true plans once said mob boss has gone past his sell by date.

In all fairness I think it is a valid distinction. I was making the point that in TDKR, the "fight" scenes were tepid at best and it was put to me that the scene where basically Bane ****s Batman up was a good "fight scene". I disagree as Batman just got his ass handed to him and showed nowhere near the fighting ability that was shown in BvS. Nolan made good movies, but he couldn't do hand to hand combat scenes for **** imo. Snyder for all his faults, is a good visual director and does get these things right.

It was the best fight scene against the villain (not henchmen) out of any Batman film before it. That's the point I'm trying to make, most of Batman's main villains aren't fighters. He even barely fought Ra's Al Ghul.

Yes, Bane kicked the ever-living sh*t out of him. But that's what was great about it to me. It showed that Bane wasn't just out-thinking Batman, for the first time in most of the films, he could out-match Batman physically too.

That's why I'm saying Deathstroke is a great choice as an antagonist for Batman. It's someone who can match Batman physically. Batman versus the henchmen in BvS was a great fight scene, but none of the henchmen could obviously hold a candle to Batman. Deathstroke can. 1v1.

It was the best fight scene against the villain (not henchmen) out of any Batman film before it. That's the point I'm trying to make, most of Batman's main villains aren't fighters. He even barely fought Ra's Al Ghul.

Yes, Bane kicked the ever-living sh*t out of him. But that's what was great about it to me. It showed that Bane wasn't just out-thinking Batman, for the first time in most of the films, he could out-match Batman physically too.

That's why I'm saying Deathstroke is a great choice as an antagonist for Batman. It's someone who can match Batman physically. Batman versus the henchmen in BvS was a great fight scene, but none of the henchmen could obviously hold a candle to Batman. Deathstroke can. 1v1.

Agreed.

I think we were essentially arguing the same thing, but I was pointing out that whilst the fight with Bane was "better" than anything that came before, as a set piece in it's own right, it was quite poor.

But I agree with the rest of everything else you say.

Dramatically, I found Bane and Bruce's sewer fight to be one of the best fight scenes not only in the trilogy but in the genre (the fight between the two big dogs in CW is up there too).

You could sense that the latter was beaten before it even started and that's down to Bale's performance beforehand, portraying Bruce as a physically weakened and mentally tortured man on a kamikaze mission. That's why I firmly believe it's Bale's best turn in the trilogy. It was the most prominent Bruce had been and Bale nailed it.

I love my pay offs and that fight scene had spades of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You guys know the concept of "booking" in wrestling? Deathstroke is as good as he is booked.

The idea being in pro wrestling they deliberately "book" people strong or weak. In the comics, Deathstroke is often portrayed as someone weaker heroes are very, very afraid of, and will not tackle before getting the whole team together. Even then, he tends to outsmart them, and at very least, really hurt them, often killing some. He's booked super strong even though power wise he's on a level just above his Marvel clone, Deadpool.

If they place him like that, very much like the anti batman, someone who scares the hell out of other heroes so much that when he squares up to Batman it feels very, very eventful, it could be great.

I'd agree with fans who say that Deathstroke's systematic dismantling of the JL in one swoop is a bit over the top.

Then again I was always a fan of Tower of Babel, so if Batman can do it, I guess there's no reason why the "Anti-Batman" can't do it either.

However it would be very hard to pull off in live action without the ludicrousy of it all becoming apparent.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I'd agree with fans who say that Deathstroke's systematic dismantling of the JL in one swoop is a bit over the top.

Then again I was always a fan of Tower of Babel, so if Batman can do it, I guess there's no reason why the "Anti-Batman" can't do it either.

However it would be very hard to pull off in live action without the ludicrousy of it all becoming apparent.

I don't think he's in JL (or maybe a quick appearance). Word is he's the baddie in the solo Batman film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Casting news
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/08/joe-manganiello-will-play-deathstroke-in-ben-afflecks-batman-movie/

As the link above says, it has even confirmed Joe M will play Deathstroke in Affleck Batman movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Joe Manganiello has been cast as
    Deathstroke
    and will appear in Ben Affleck's upcoming solo Batman film.

Good casting.

• Advertisement

I've only seen Joe in True Blood so can't really judge him. I can't help but feel however that this is fancasting and another case of WB trying to pay lip service.

In other news, it looks like Billy Crudup will join The Flash as
    Henry Allen

I've only seen Joe in True Blood so can't really judge him. I can't help but feel however that this is fancasting and another case of WB trying to pay lip service.

I like him and I think he's a good chance of doing well but I can't disagree with you on this.
    In other news, it looks like Billy Crudup will join The Flash as
    Henry Allen

I'd watch Crudup do any role so this is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ben Gadot wrote:

You might remember him as Flash Thompson is the Raimi's original Spider-Man. Not much of an acting role to judge him on but a bit of trivia nonetheless. I think he's good but I don't know how he'll fair against Affleck, this is his first big movie break.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He is also a total Fanboy if you check out his chats on The Nerdist Podcast they are well worth a listen he also does the best Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation.

A really good casting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Any link?

Another first look, again taken from Zack Snyder's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/777224232023580672/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And The Flash movie has lost it's director over "creative differences"

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/31/the-flash-movie-loses-director-rick-famuyima/

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And The Flash movie has lost it's director over "creative differences"

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/31/the-flash-movie-loses-director-rick-famuyima/

Yikes, that makes two directors who've left that film due to creative differences. Not a good omen.

Advertisement