Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks for that list.

It's very easy to forget and fall back into old habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

It is. If your tired, life deals you a few blows. You really have to keep working on it. As I mam would say it won't always be dark at 7! When you have experience of coming through episodes you know you can do it again.

The first one, which often hits in late adolescence or early adulthood can be the worst as the person thinks this is it for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm feeling very low. Can't get out of bed and not eating either. Not sure what to do

Maybe the humid warm weather? The weather is to turn fresher from Sunday if that helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Don't need to anything really bar breathing and water oh and maybe a wash every few days, no pressure to conform to anything outside that if you have the option.. Take care of yourself..

• Advertisement

I've found I've been mentally sluggish, like a bit of brain fog the last few days. Might be the humidity, but I'm usually grand with it. Physically I'm fine. But you know when you're conscious in work of everyone being razor sharp in meetings etc and your attention span is short and your not taking things up quickly. Another symptom is slowness in speaking and formulating your ideas in words.

It'll pass PG!

P.s. I find it easier to express things in words than speech when have this fogginess!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Don't take it on board yourself, many people are in exactly the same brain space, we're just intrinsically on survivor mode so never see others struggling the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

I'm dying here. Tried 3/4 different medications with no success.

For those with major depression, what have you found helpful in increasing your energy levels? It's exhausting just being awake at the moment. I don't have the energy for anything and can't concentrate.

Sometimes it's just breathing one moment at a time.. I'm sorry you're laid so low.

• Advertisement

Definitely general anxiety disorder about my life circumstances causing much more depression than the circumstances themselves.

One good thing I've learned is dropping anchor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dunph

My meditation

Lie flat with one hand one your chest and one on your belly

4 second inhale

4 second held breath in

4 second exhale

4 second held breath out

Repeat until it doesnt feel difficult. This might take a while.

Then repeat until you are only concentrating on your breath and counting, no intrusive thoughts or worries, no lists of tasks. This will take longer.

Then breath in a more "natural" rhythm, in and out as feels comfortable, focussing your attention on your breath, feeling your hands as a source of warmth and comfort.

Like all methods, medications, etc, this is not infallible. It helps me, and I have taken it from others it has helped. Noone going through anxiety or depression is alone, it is the cruelest irony that we all feel we are.

Have too much stuff on my plate. I wish my life was simpler and not getting more complicated. Really have had enough at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had one of those rough weeks.

Sleep was erratic, for a number of reasons. Then today (Thursday), it just all seemed to kick off.

So essentially, extended family members did or said something that ticked off my mum and brother. And while they did address it with them that stuff said was uncalled for, it didn't stop them from seemingly taking their grievances out on me.

Essentially, this family member(s) said stuff that was genuinely unfounded and callous. Not to be helpful, but rather to be making themselves the 'hero' in their own narrative.

I was woken up, afterwards, to essentially a comment like 'the men in white coats are coming for you', which was somewhat in the vein of what an extended family member said. And it only seemed to get worse from there.

Another made comments about my past-stuff that always gets under my skin because it reminds me of my mistakes, and seems to always want to remind me of them (It's nothing illegal. Its just a choice I made that made me miserable for years). Well, I lost my cool, to put it mildly. Was told I was 'being too sensitive'... but that was essentially drawing blood. Metaphorically.

I had to just walk away-go for a walk, get out of the situation in case I said something worse. And then some other stuff happened (outside of this, not gonna elaborate) and I managed to have a panic attack. Haven't had one of those in months, possibly 8 months. This crud set it off.

Just frustrated as all hell. I don't need to be reminded of my mistakes. I think about them every time I wake up.

Wrecked tired and unable to function. Can't relax, don't know how to relax without beating myself up. Have a ton of crap to get done. Burned out.

We are all so very hard on ourselves, it's awful and so, so difficult to rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I'm coming off Olanzapine at the moment. I've been on it for 16 years and was on a low dose of 5mg for the past few years. Then went to 2.5 for a few months.

I'm a little high and my mind is racing a bit. I keep thinking about awful nasty **** that happened years ago. I don't know why it's bothering me because outwardly things are good. I could do with getting out more. Going to give it a few weeks to see if things settle before I go back to the doctor.

Coming off any meds even with long term tapering has a lot of effects. Personally I'm on a lot of prozac, when I'm in a bad way I miss a dose and I feel proper awful. Take your time..

You're bang on keeping in touch with your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Cheers Gremlinertia. I was on a lot of Prozac myself for a number of years with the Olanzapine. It's good to vent.

• Advertisement

It's a good thread for some moral support. Been here for years long before I ended up being a mod 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sineadlouise567

Hi everyone,

does anyone know if the antidepressant viibryd is prescribed in Ireland?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Possibly, but you're best checking under its chemical name, Vilazodone.

It might be sold under a different name, similar to how prozac is Fluoxetine, and is sold under different prescription names, due to its patent expiring.

Awful feeling of dread today. In my bones and gut. Haven't been exercising recently with all the crap I need to do and the bad weather. Got to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Same here, I've been eating and drinking too much crap. I have that feeling of dread too, damn anxiety. Going over every conversation and interaction I have with people.

I was all dressed up to go to a work do Friday. Ended up getting into my tracksuit and not leaving the house the whole weekend. Not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

Really struggling at the moment. My yearly headspace app is due to be renewed at €59.99. Haven't used it in over a year. Find it difficult to concentrate. Maybe if I don't cancel it and start using it I will get better with practice. Anythings worth a try. I might get into it. Start off with a daily 5 min one. Anyone find it useful?

I worked with a psychologist for a bit to help me get over my resistance to mindfulness, after that it can be practiced in the smallest ways, like making a sandwich and taking time to consider all the components and eat while concentrating on the eating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

That's it. It's like a resistance. I'd love to be able to do it.

It takes a lot of time and daily practice.. I initially rejected the whole thing as hippy nonsense, took a long time to convince myself otherwise, it's hard to have the patience but stick with it

• Advertisement

Feeling like a real nervous wreck today and past while. Just can't think or focus. Bouncing around between things and time seems to be flying and I can't get stuff done. Things just getting harder and not easier.

Advertisement