Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

holyhead wrote: »
    That's very kind of you OMT. Means a lot to hear someone say that. Depression and anxiety can leave you feeling alone and isolated even if your physically not alone.

We are always here for you , we all know in some way or another what u are going through . Had an awful day today had a complete meltdown to my husband like I couldn’t even breath and was shaking so bad . Hoping letting it all out might help tho

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's very kind of you OMT. Means a lot to hear someone say that. Depression and anxiety can leave you feeling alone and isolated even if your physically not alone.

Glad you have some people around you, i know how lonely it is, from the other side now too, my partner is in turmoil and all i can do really is be there without asking if she's ok every five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone ever attend one of them group session type things? I've thought about going to one for years, only now am I giving it serious thought.

I've self medicated this week, meds were doing sweet poop all so for the past week I've taken 3 tablets a day instead of one. Have actually noticed a difference, in so far as the negative stuff stays suppressed longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone ever attend one of them group session type things? I've thought about going to one for years, only now am I giving it serious thought.

I've self medicated this week, meds were doing sweet poop all so for the past week I've taken 3 tablets a day instead of one. Have actually noticed a difference, in so far as the negative stuff stays suppressed longer.

You would sincerely need to see your doc anyway.. I found group DBT very helpful after initial increased anxiety and paranoia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

This morning I feel like **** again. Doom and gloom. Not eating as well as I normally do. Woke at 5 but must have been out 6 hours which isn’t bad. Will take today off. Work the rest of the week. I hate this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

This morning I feel like **** again. Doom and gloom. Not eating as well as I normally do. Woke at 5 but must have been out 6 hours which isn’t bad. Will take today off. Work the rest of the week. I hate this

Get yourself to the doctor today. If you can't get an appointment explain its urgent, because it is. Keep yourself busy today by listening to music, read a book or watch some boxsets etc. Key is to try and be absorbed in what you're doing rather than letting your mind do the driving with your bad feeling. I've been here too so the above is what kept my afloat. Start looking at counsellors and what kind of technique you think would suit you. Keep the head up and we will battle through with ya

statto25 wrote: »
    Get yourself to the doctor today. If you can't get an appointment explain its urgent, because it is. Keep yourself busy today by listening to music, read a book or watch some boxsets etc. Key is to try and be absorbed in what you're doing rather than letting your mind do the driving with your bad feeling. I've been here too so the above is what kept my afloat. Start looking at counsellors and what kind of technique you think would suit you. Keep the head up and we will battle through with ya

Cheers Statto. Did go to the doctor this morning. She was so kind and understanding. Sertraline and a note giving me access to a public psychiatrist anytime I need it. So I guess that's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Cheers Statto. Did go to the doctor this morning. She was so kind and understanding. Sertraline and a note giving me access to a public psychiatrist anytime I need it. So I guess that's progress.

Fair play thats the first step sorted. Use the counsellor as soon as you feel ready but try and go this week. The first session is the hardest and dont be afraid to tell them how you want to converse e.g they listen to you, they ask questions and you answer. etc I find I ramble so I prefer the questions and answers method. Like the medication its about finding the right fit as this person will be your new support.

In bed feeling kind of numb. Poor appetite. First pill taken.

In bed feeling kind of numb. Poor appetite. First pill taken.

Well done Holyhead, there's usually someone around this thread most times when you want to just rant or release. Glad you have some people around you as support, worth their weight in gold..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

A dark place for me yesterday. My income protection appeal was rejected.

Apparently i am fit for work according to them.

I am so angry, How the fu*ck can they do that when i suffer from anxiety and depression and also psoriasis .

I was so sore today i had to ask my 75 year old Mother to go to the shop to buy some food for me. I didn't even it it because i felt so sick.

FML

Bohs that's awful, can you appeal again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Hi all

So, I’m heading to the doctor today to talk about anxiety. I’m sick anyway, but, I’m anxious about talking about the anxiety thing. :p

I could absolutely just cry right now. I’m worried about explaining myself and have no idea what would be suggested. In Germany, but it should be an English speaking doctor who I see. Slowly getting myself all worked up for no reason, and heart is pounding like crazy.

Bohs that's awful, can you appeal again?

I'm not sure. Just bad thoughts now. Haven't even told my family. Slept most of the day. I will need to read the letter again and see but i am afraid to.

And i am afraid to tell my family because they had hope for me. Now it feels like i am a let down.

How one person can just reject me again i do not know. How the f*ck can these companies do this.
    They say i am fit for normal work but i can't even walk to the shops ffs.

Bohs I bet you can appeal again. It is indeed a cruel system.. Take it easy on yourself today, your family will understand..

Hi all

So, I’m heading to the doctor today to talk about anxiety. I’m sick anyway, but, I’m anxious about talking about the anxiety thing. :p

I could absolutely just cry right now. I’m worried about explaining myself and have no idea what would be suggested. In Germany, but it should be an English speaking doctor who I see. Slowly getting myself all worked up for no reason, and heart is pounding like crazy.

Write it all down.. Honestly that's the only way it worked for me because I clam up talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Just bad thoughts now. Haven't even told my family. Slept most of the day. I will need to read the letter again and see but i am afraid to.

And i am afraid to tell my family because they had hope for me. Now it feels like i am a let down.

How one person can just reject me again i do not know. How the f*ck can these companies do this.

Bohs, your appeal route now is to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman.

Again its a matter of laying out the facts along with the opinion provided by your treating professionals.
    The Irish Life rejection of your appeal, is your grounds to appeal to the Ombudsman.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Irish Life don't care what type of work you are fit for.
    Merely that they can gain a medical opinion that you are not precluded from any work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Write it all down.. Honestly that's the only way it worked for me because I clam up talking.

Thanks Gremlinertia

Well, I basically just went in and described my sick symptoms - because I have some bug - and then just cried in front of the doc. He was very nice. So, he's going to try and get me an appointment to talk to a psychotherapist next week. I've never talked to a head-type doctor before, but it would be a dream right now. So, a good result. :)

Edit to add - good advice on writing things down. I clam up like a clam on speed.

Thanks Gremlinertia

Well, I basically just went in and described my sick symptoms - because I have some bug - and then just cried in front of the doc. He was very nice. So, he's going to try and get me an appointment to talk to a psychotherapist next week. I've never talked to a head-type doctor before, but it would be a dream right now. So, a good result. :)

Edit to add - good advice on writing things down. I clam up like a clam on speed.

That’s good that u got an appointment don’t be nervous it’s the first step (and a big one ) to feeling better
    Def write things down even a few thoughts every day it will make it easier to explain how u are feeling

banie01 wrote: »
    Bohs, your appeal route now is to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman.

Again its a matter of laying out the facts along with the opinion provided by your treating professionals.
    The Irish Life rejection of your appeal, is your grounds to appeal to the Ombudsman.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Irish Life don't care what type of work you are fit for.
    Merely that they can gain a medical opinion that you are not precluded from any work.

Thank you for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sending prayers and ((((HUGS)))) to all there.

Winter is hitting hard. Here too. Lowest ebb in many a year and that chilly spell nearly finished me. Old age is not for cissies..

All we can each and all do is hang on in here, Day by day, hour by hour, miniute by minute, finding small things that will help us do that,

Spoil ourselves! In whatever way we can

I know with me is it physical but body and mind are so closely interwoven they cannot be separated. Such a low ebb that the slightest problem, and there are many just now, not slight, totally drains me.

Off to cuddle a cat or three... my furry soothers..

Lighting a candle for all here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thank you for that.

Hope all goes well for you Bohs..fingers crossed.
    Head up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sending prayers and ((((HUGS)))) to all there.

Winter is hitting hard. Here too. Lowest ebb in many a year and that chilly spell nearly finished me. Old age is not for cissies..

All we can each and all do is hang on in here, Day by day, hour by hour, miniute by minute, finding small things that will help us do that,

Spoil ourselves! In whatever way we can

I know with me is it physical but body and mind are so closely interwoven they cannot be separated. Such a low ebb that the slightest problem, and there are many just now, not slight, totally drains me.

Off to cuddle a cat or three... my furry soothers..

Lighting a candle for all here..

Such an honest post Graces...
    Hope you can get over the problems.
    Huge hugs from County Clare.

4Ad wrote: »
    Such an honest post Graces...
    Hope you can get over the problems.
    Huge hugs from County Clare.

Awww! Bless you! This week was chaos trying to get food and fuel over; getting used to being all but housebound and having to rely on unreliable people for basics! I GOT VERY FIRM this week and it worked. Next is the problem with the banks... nearly 2 hours on the phone... Just practical stuff

we will survive... and win, Modern life is so complicated! I know they have no idea I am so ill. Not their problem.. I need it all so stop a while but it never does...

OK; food and sleep... ,

Have a lovely evening folk...hope the bad weather is not where you are; we are to escape with high winds up here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Had a little win today that has really gone a long way towards lifting my mood for the weekend and even for my impending 40's.

Had an issue with an IKEA sofa I bought a couple of years ago.
    IKEA decided it wasn't a model covered by their 10yr guarantee and after a lot of back and forth with their customer care it went nowhere.

So I to took a small claims court action against them.
    They initially took a hard line, not that it did them much good from the optics viewpoint.

I pushed back, not just on SOGA but on their customer care and the poor quality of the manufacturing with the mode of failure.

IKEA emailed today and settled ;)
    I'm a little bit of an ásshole when it comes to being technically right and I was really looking forward to a trip up to Dublin to have my little day out :pac:

But a win is a win!
    I hope with All souls day, and the misery of winter darkness encroaching that ye all can find similar little wins to help ye all thru :D

((HUGS))) was too upset for thee to reply sooner. I had all this in the UK with my much needed mobility allowance. Appeal after appeal and hearing the same stories in the waiting room at appeal boards. So degrading.. YOU SOCK IT TO EM! Not your fault. It is the medieval attitude to mental health issues as it was 40 years ago; I used to call it the new leprosy.
    Same with UK Incapacity. Never was I more relieved than on the day I turned pension age and NO ONE could challenge my date of birth!

Oh they tried! I had checked before leaving the UK that I could still get my mobility allowance in Ireland and was assured yes. When my pension came through they told me I was wrong and as I had been overpaid they were stopping £10 a week. OH NO YOU DON'T! I tramped the fields steaming then wrote to several influential people. Including Tony Blair! won it back.

You stand up to them!

PS; please do nto take knockbacks personally. These are pen pushers, instructed to save their employers money. Tackel this on that premise.

@ would ask if we had managed the corridors OK and say that we were clearly not as disabled as we said we were. The next time I used a wheelchair and had someone with me. They then suggested I find a job I could do from a wheelchair. Game of chess to them

My bank has just made a total hash of my account; I cannot access my money without going in and I am housebound, island bound and all but bedbound I which they know …. Their reply to my formal complaint was derisory. So on Monday I intend to call HEAD OFFICE.... And starting to change all to my spare bank account.. more paperwork than you can imagine.
    So I do understand.

MEanwhile I intend to have a quiet, pleasant weekend. Setting it all aside and being totally lazy! Please try to do the same!. ENJOY the days! We are worth more than this. We really are.

Hi graces
    Hope u also have a nice calm day with ur cats snuggled into u

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jointheconvo

Hi all, new user here as I just feel I need to reach out to someone and see if there are any suggestions on how I progress from here.

I have GAD, and have been diagnosed with extreme anxiety and moderate depression by a couple of therapists I go to, so not ideal really, but those are the cards I have been dealt. It's something I have only recently been able to deal with as I have only recently been working to afford appointments with therapists.

However, I've had to leave my previous job due to stress and really bad work environment, as it was not conducive to my mental health, though it took a lot of effort to leave as I had moved across country to work there. So I was out of work for half a year, some of that was spent trying to get to a better mental place and then looking for more work so I could afford to keep going to therapy.

I found a job, which required moving again across country. So I started that a few months ago, and all was well until one day a staff member was looking over one of my submissions and said that there was something not right, and that she wanted to go over all of my work to see if it was all wrong from the beginning. The work I do is updating files based on instructions given, and I use past examples of files to follow a format, so I thought I was doing alright, but this call out from this person made me doubt everything I had done, where I felt I was doing ok, and my self confidence has always been rock bottom, so this pushed me over the edge and I had to go home and cry for a few days not understanding why (she said it in a very tough manner, so it threw me).

That was over a month ago, and I have been out of work since and have gone to the doctor and a few different therapists trying to get to a better place, but I keep telling my manager at work that I'll be in on a certain day and then as that day draws closer I get super anxious again and end up putting it off for another few days.

I do intend on going back, as I have good therapists that are helping me understand the issues, but since I've been out for over a month, and I am a contracted employee, I have not been paid for over a month, so it is stressing me and my partner since we are renting, and the rent is more than half my partner's income, which, coupled with bills and loan for the car, is eating into his finances (no savings left, and can't afford to get the car serviced as there is nothing really left at the end of the month for it). Is there any financial support for someone who has been out of work sick for over a month?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just feel the need to get some stuff off my mind, and it all just flowed out.

• Advertisement

Hi all, new user here as I just feel I need to reach out to someone and see if there are any suggestions on how I progress from here.

I have GAD, and have been diagnosed with extreme anxiety and moderate depression by a couple of therapists I go to, so not ideal really, but those are the cards I have been dealt. It's something I have only recently been able to deal with as I have only recently been working to afford appointments with therapists.

However, I've had to leave my previous job due to stress and really bad work environment, as it was not conducive to my mental health, though it took a lot of effort to leave as I had moved across country to work there. So I was out of work for half a year, some of that was spent trying to get to a better mental place and then looking for more work so I could afford to keep going to therapy.

I found a job, which required moving again across country. So I started that a few months ago, and all was well until one day a staff member was looking over one of my submissions and said that there was something not right, and that she wanted to go over all of my work to see if it was all wrong from the beginning. The work I do is updating files based on instructions given, and I use past examples of files to follow a format, so I thought I was doing alright, but this call out from this person made me doubt everything I had done, where I felt I was doing ok, and my self confidence has always been rock bottom, so this pushed me over the edge and I had to go home and cry for a few days not understanding why (she said it in a very tough manner, so it threw me).

That was over a month ago, and I have been out of work since and have gone to the doctor and a few different therapists trying to get to a better place, but I keep telling my manager at work that I'll be in on a certain day and then as that day draws closer I get super anxious again and end up putting it off for another few days.

I do intend on going back, as I have good therapists that are helping me understand the issues, but since I've been out for over a month, and I am a contracted employee, I have not been paid for over a month, so it is stressing me and my partner since we are renting, and the rent is more than half my partner's income, which, coupled with bills and loan for the car, is eating into his finances (no savings left, and can't afford to get the car serviced as there is nothing really left at the end of the month for it). Is there any financial support for someone who has been out of work sick for over a month?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just feel the need to get some stuff off my mind, and it all just flowed out.

Hi and welcome !
    It’s giid to let things out and we are all here for u , have you looked into illness benifut ? Are u an employee? Or self employed

Advertisement