Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Wait a sec. Unhelpful? I'm going by my past experience when a medication wasn't working for me personally and had to try something different. Jesus ill never bother posting here again so

Never saw the post. By its swift removal, I can guess the gist of what was sad. Some people eh? :confused:

Changed meds at least 3 times over the years. All went the same way:

Worked initially. Then wore off. Increased dosage. Worked for a while. Increase dosage again. No longer working. Changed meds. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Need to go to my doc for a prescription soon anyhow. Will say something then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

jaxxx wrote: »
    Never saw the post. By its swift removal, I can guess the gist of what was sad. Some people eh? :confused:

Worked initially. Then wore off. Increased dosage. Worked for a while. Increase dosage again. No longer working. Changed meds. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Need to go to my doc for a prescription soon anyhow. Will say something then.

Never give up mate. I've had to switch umpteen times before I got one that worked for me. I'd ring the doctor for an appointment ASAP instead of waiting until you need a new script to be honest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wait a sec. Unhelpful? I'm going by my past experience when a medication wasn't working for me personally and had to try something different. Jesus ill never bother posting here again so

The post was uncivil in tone and wrote off all medication, please pm myself or another mod if you wish to discuss further

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Exact same here, the initial feeling of oh i've found what works, yay i might be better then slowly crashing again until another dosage/combination/med is tried. I'm relatively ok now on prozac and seroquel the last two years

Finished work, anxious as hell, today is the day. I talk to the psychologist about something I've never verbalised and only written about this weekend as homework for today. I'm terrified tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Finished work, anxious as hell, today is the day. I talk to the psychologist about something I've never verbalised and only written about this weekend as homework for today. I'm terrified tbh.

Good luck grem u can do it !

I'm not sure if it's a selfish thing but the success of my friends gets me down. Does anyone else experience this? Feels like everyone is doing a lot better at life than I am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I'm not sure if it's a selfish thing but the success of my friends gets me down. Does anyone else experience this? Feels like everyone is doing a lot better at life than I am

Do you mean purely in a material sense? Success is measured in many ways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

We're all a bit like that, especially when times are tough. Gore Vidal famously said "Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little", While you're suffering from anxiety/depression, I imagine it feels even worse.
    You're not the only one.

I always think "if I was normal I could do that too" generally annoyed or disappointed in myself.. :(

• Advertisement

I always think "if I was normal I could do that too" generally annoyed or disappointed in myself.. :(

Same here grem “ if I was the old me .......” all the time

Thing is though, there's no such thing as normal :) It's nothing more than a fabricated illusion. We're each of us different, all 7.7 odd billion of us. We each lead different lives. Go down different paths. How can there be such a thing as normal?

Life is a game, that involves an endless series of mini-games. You can only play with the cards you've been dealt. Sometimes the cards are just bad. You have some sort of control over it in how you use those cards, but at the end of the day you ain't gonna win a round of poker with a sh1t hand of cards, no matter how good a player you are :)

Did that make any sense? :D

Fast approaching the big 3-0.. and no one to celebrate it with. I've been a lone wolf for so long. Only now is it starting to get to me :( It's almost eerie how quick the mood can shift. Okay one minute, in pieces the next.

Fast approaching the big 3-0.. and no one to celebrate it with. I've been a lone wolf for so long. Only now is it starting to get to me :( It's almost eerie how quick the mood can shift. Okay one minute, in pieces the next.

I had a good few days then today plagued by flashbacks ..... I’m a lone wolf too friends wise but happy birthday!

Waiting for psych appointment, scared.. Admitted a big thing in writing last week, just handed to her as I left.. I was a lone wolf at thirty too. Seems long ago but still lonely..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have that black cloud hanging behind my forehead for the last week or so and just can't seem to shift it. It's so frustrating as I can't push through it, just feels like I'm stuck in a rut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I have had a return of the dark clouds after a 5 month break. Really struggling. Functioning work wise but hard. The future terrifies me. The prospect of not having money is another central theme which propels my descent into the black. I just feel apathy not wanting to go on. Not seeing anything to look forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm approaching the big 40 at the end of this year. Already told my family and friends i don't want a party.

Roll back ten years ago and i had a big party for my 30th and enjoyed the whole night. How things have changed so much.

This friday there is a band playing that i really like. I am going. Because the type of music they play gives me hope and good memories. 4 of my friends are going too.

I feel for people who don't have other's to turn to. But i am always there for anyone with problems. It's like my brain just wants to help others but not myself.

Oh and today was the day i met my evil ex. I seen it pop up on FB but didn't look.

Cooking dinner now for my mother and brother. Keeps me busy.

Tomorrow i've to babysit my nephew then i'm going to see my aunt that has not long left to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

holyhead wrote: »
    I have had a return of the dark clouds after a 5 month break. Really struggling. Functioning work wise but hard. The future terrifies me. The prospect of not having money is another central theme which propels my descent into the black. I just feel apathy not wanting to go on. Not seeing anything to look forward too.

Peace; this is seasonal? I am down with a severe form of my usual CFS/ME complication of seasonal darkness. I know that this is what this is; a severe form of SAD. Just now can barely cope with getting food and heating sorted. Crawling round like an old woman, and I am only nearly 80!

Just live for the moment and see it as physical? Turn lights up higher. eat carefully. rest. This IS physical! It is a cold dark winter. Spoil yourself

Be at peace and let time pass. We have a saying, " This too shall pass" as it will.

No need to look forward; just rest

We tend to psychologise too much? The bodies we live in are weak and fallible.

NB I am awake and posting at this hour as I was asleep only to wake and lie on the cold and dark with appalling dark thoughts running amok through my head like a record stuck in a groove... YOU know.... round and round and round. Forced myself to put the light on, make a drink, log on here and potter and knit.
    This happens every night now. Relentless.

Until I realised the connection between the season and darkest of moods I was powerless. Not quite powerless now thankfully.. counting the days until the shortest day and living for the moment.. ..Maybe google SAD and see what can be a help? Bless you!

Thing is though, there's no such thing as normal :) It's nothing more than a fabricated illusion. We're each of us different, all 7.7 odd billion of us. We each lead different lives. Go down different paths. How can there be such a thing as normal?

Life is a game, that involves an endless series of mini-games. You can only play with the cards you've been dealt. Sometimes the cards are just bad. You have some sort of control over it in how you use those cards, but at the end of the day you ain't gonna win a round of poker with a sh1t hand of cards, no matter how good a player you are :)

Did that make any sense? :D

sorry. No! To your last sentence!

Life is not a game; it is a privilege and one that carries some responsibility; wrong word but near enough

It holds joys and privileges if we let it, and foster these. We make choices. Whatever our issues and problems. we make choices and we are in control of that.

That is what matters. Nothing else; no excuses! I used to make excsues a lot as I have severe CFS/ME and maybe thought as you do. Leads to the "poor mes" if you are not very careful and I was not for years.

My life is near its physical end and I choose and intend to make the most of every last day or hour of it in some way. I have by most standards had nothing all my life long because of illness that was misdiagnosed and a lot of other junk thrown at me. What could be construed as " cards dealt"? Since my late 20s that was. Now nearly 80 and life is precious and a blessing and privilege . Nothing else matters except how you see it. My choice is what I live in and by. My decision. Matters not how I got where I am. If you keep looking backwards you tend to fall into a hole. Been there done that too many times and blamed others far too many times.

Were I to talk like this to a dr or psych they would call it depression. Not as simple as that is it?

Typing abed, wakeful and cold! I have a roof over my h ead, food enough, clothes, work for my hands hat will help feed others who truly have less than nothing. Sure I am incurably and horribly ill.. So what!

WE ARE ALIVE!

WE make choices. Which trumps all else. To continue your analogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

First time posting here but in the absence of someone to talk to, I'm going to try the forum. My life has had a major upheaval recently and i just feel like there is no hope for me. Ive suffered from depression on and off for as long as I can remember and have often felt the "dark hand of despair" on my shoulder but as this week has progressed it has a hard grip on me I cant shake. I cried myself to sleep last night and have some very dark thoughts in my head this morning. In reality my counselor and 2 others are the only people I can turn to. I have no friends or family I can speak with as they believe the situation is all my own doing and they think I am just not coping, but its far more than that. I miss my little boy so much it hurts me but I am not in a position to see him as often as I would like. I am not looking for advice or for direction but I am simply just spilling my thoughts as they are just running around my head constantly. I've often wondered what a switch on the side of my head would be like and when all gets too much, i power down, recharge and try and face it all again. I am beyond knackered despite getting sleep but i wake in the night for the toilet etc and the hamster in my head starts to spin again.

statto25 wrote: »
    First time posting here but in the absence of someone to talk to, I'm going to try the forum. My life has had a major upheaval recently and i just feel like there is no hope for me. Ive suffered from depression on and off for as long as I can remember and have often felt the "dark hand of despair" on my shoulder but as this week has progressed it has a hard grip on me I cant shake. I cried myself to sleep last night and have some very dark thoughts in my head this morning. In reality my counselor and 2 others are the only people I can turn to. I have no friends or family I can speak with as they believe the situation is all my own doing and they think I am just not coping, but its far more than that. I miss my little boy so much it hurts me but I am not in a position to see him as often as I would like. I am not looking for advice or for direction but I am simply just spilling my thoughts as they are just running around my head constantly. I've often wondered what a switch on the side of my head would be like and when all gets too much, i power down, recharge and try and face it all again. I am beyond knackered despite getting sleep but i wake in the night for the toilet etc and the hamster in my head starts to spin again.

It's horrific to be a prisoner to your thoughts. The more you think the bigger the thoughts become. It's hard to distract yourself when you are consumed by something in your head. Not getting proper sleep only worsens the feeling. It's a vicious circle. It can be hard to find avenues of enjoyment in life. I hope with time, talking or medicine that the feeling of dark lifts from you. We have only one life.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Peace; this is seasonal? I am down with a severe form of my usual CFS/ME complication of seasonal darkness. I know that this is what this is; a severe form of SAD. Just now can barely cope with getting food and heating sorted. Crawling round like an old woman, and I am only nearly 80!

Just live for the moment and see it as physical? Turn lights up higher. eat carefully. rest. This IS physical! It is a cold dark winter. Spoil yourself

Be at peace and let time pass. We have a saying, " This too shall pass" as it will.

No need to look forward; just rest

We tend to psychologise too much? The bodies we live in are weak and fallible.

NB I am awake and posting at this hour as I was asleep only to wake and lie on the cold and dark with appalling dark thoughts running amok through my head like a record stuck in a groove... YOU know.... round and round and round. Forced myself to put the light on, make a drink, log on here and potter and knit.
    This happens every night now. Relentless.

Until I realised the connection between the season and darkest of moods I was powerless. Not quite powerless now thankfully.. counting the days until the shortest day and living for the moment.. ..Maybe google SAD and see what can be a help? Bless you!

No I don't think it's s.a.d with me. Though I see where your coming from.

No I don't think it's s.a.d with me. Though I see where your coming from.

Maybe not full on. but the weathers/ seasons impact us all and if you are low that will exacerbate it so makes sense to cater to that? We tend to think we are immune to natural forces! Just be aware and take measures. May just give you the edge.

Talked so someone working at a garden centre once and she said she had only been affected since she worked there; interesting. Out here? On the ocean edge...

Sleep walking here and hanging on by a thread. Worst this has been for decades and SAD is a contributory factor. If I did nto have CFS /ME?

So utterly down and weary. Every small problem? Issues re fuel supplies and I GIVE UP! ( sinks lower in the bed!) All my real winter clothes are worn out too.. AY ME! Pooooooooooor Graces! lol Thankful for boards ie

But I have the cats to keep me moving; work for my hands. My cats have hand jnitted blankets.. everything has hand knitted blankets... …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi all,

Anyone here think their anxiety could be leading to baldness?
    I've been going bald over the last 2 years or so, think it's down to anxiety but can't prove that.
    I'm 27 years of age, Male, I'm currently trying to work on reducing my stress/anxiety in the hope my hair starts to grow back.

Anyone else dealing with this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

carzony wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been going bald over the last 2 years or so, think it's down to anxiety but can't prove that.
    I'm 27 years of age, Male, I'm currently trying to work on reducing my stress/anxiety in the hope my hair starts to grow back.

I wouldn't think so. Because i suffer much but still have really good hair. It affected me with psoriasis instead. I walked my dogs today with my friend and every step hurt like fu*k.

My younger brother is going bald. My Father who is 70 still has a full head of hair. Maybe it's just genetics, but i'm not a doctor so can't give a real opinion obviously.

One of my friends went bald in school. Everyone is different.

carzony wrote: »
    Hi all,

Some folk take the way of shaving their heads! Stops the uncertainty and is a statement

Yesterday was harrowing for me. For the first time ever I wrote a suicide note. The worst I've ever felt. Thankfully my friend is staying with me. So she helped me a lot and I phoned another friend. I got through the day picking up somewhat. Today I feel a lot more mentally robust. I will still see my GP and also look to speak to a counsellor try to get to the root cause of my anxiety or learn ways to cope with it allied to medication.
    Depression is a fooker and I wouldn't wish it on my worst.

Yesterday was harrowing for me. For the first time ever I wrote a suicide note. The worst I've ever felt. Thankfully my friend is staying with me. So she helped me a lot and I phoned another friend. I got through the day picking up somewhat. Today I feel a lot more mentally robust. I will still see my GP and also look to speak to a counsellor try to get to the root cause of my anxiety or learn ways to cope with it allied to medication.
    Depression is a fooker and I wouldn't wish it on my worst.

I'm glad you didn't follow through. It's great you have such a good friend, and we're always here too

• Advertisement

I'm glad you didn't follow through. It's great you have such a good friend, and we're always here too

That's very kind of you OMT. Means a lot to hear someone say that. Depression and anxiety can leave you feeling alone and isolated even if your physically not alone.

Advertisement