Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone have any advice on how to spend a couple of lonely hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

That all depends on what you are physically and mentally capable of and what your interests are I suppose. For me being stuck in the house all day would be a real downer. But from your previous posts, I can tell you are normally house bound and isolated during the day. I can also tell you are empathetic to the plight of others and not just self entered. There are a lot of lonely people out there who would welcome a daily online conversation and as you have access to and are adept with social media, you could find a forum for people who are looking to form friendships online.

Creating something everyday might also help if you can get the motivation. A jigsaw or airfix model or simply Lego. Also you might set small tasks for yourself each day to achieve, reaching these small goals might build towards bolstering self esteem etc. If you could get out and do a small walk each day, it would also pass time and be beneficial to you. Sorry if these sound crass .. it would help to know how challenging everyday tasks are. Loneliness is tough and can drag you lower. I'd be happy to chat each day and I'm sure others here would too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Music/podcasts/talk radio anything with voices really..

Here's another one for you guys

Anyway to stimulate appetite? I'm eating nothing but toast and milk lately, I've no idea why but my appetite is rock bottom

Anyway to stimulate appetite? I'm eating nothing but toast and milk lately, I've no idea why but my appetite is rock bottom

Invest in a smoothie maker and blitz healthy stuff / you can probably stomach it better. I've lost nearly two stone since starting the meds which killed my appetite. Lucky I could afford to lose it - but none of my clothes fit 🙄... my fav smoothie is spinach, raspberry, banana and non fat yogurt with a touch of orange juice .. better if you add more veg tho. Just knock it back during the day even if you don't feel like it. The less you eat, the less you can eat and the brain and body need the nutrients per previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I am the same. Had a small bit of steak with onions and mushrooms earlier. Have a lovely salad in the fridge but just don't have the appetite to eat it.

My GP prescribed me Ensure drink to boost my energy and appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Depersonalization is killing me i just cant remember what its like to be normal..just for fcuking once 😣😣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Depersonalization is killing me i just cant remember what its like to be normal..just for fcuking once 😣😣

I used to be the same but am much better now. You'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

Might be a bit late for you now but....
    Have a good book put by for a lonely hour or two. One that you have started and are enjoying. I read at least one each week.
    Record an interesting one or two hour programmes,or a series of them, from tv and keep in reserve. My current fascination is with medical style documentaries helicopter and ambulance evacuations particularly with difficult surgeries which, when you become used to the visual, are compulsive and great to see how lifes, even if not all, are saved or improved.
    If you are into sports say soccer the Man City V Spurs game was one of the best.
    If you can raise the energy levels do a bit of cleaning or cooking. Dont try to clean the house but say I'l just do 1/2 hour. Surprising how fast time passes.
    Hope this helps.

How is everyone doing ?
    I'll be completely honest. I didn't even shower for the last few day's. Just in bed most and think i actually have bed sores on my hips.
    Just no motivation or energy.
    Started taking my protein drink so my appetite has increased which is helping.

Just showered there and ate too. My friend is calling up as per usual on Sunday to walk our dogs.

My psoriasis is getting me really down though, just can't seem to catch a break.

Will watch the football later then bring the dogs for a walk and watch a movie. Just some small things to do. Also my room is a mess. I need a total clear out and maybe change it around a bit. Think that might help.

Might text my Sister too and see if my Godson wants to stay overnight.

Last night i had a cup of tea with my Mother, I know she worries about me but she is more angry about everything i done for my ex and got no respect at all. My Mother bought her loads of clothes too but barely a thank you.

The ex bought me a t-shirt. I am actually going to try and burn it soon, in a safely manner. Knowing my luck you'll probably see fire in Dublin on the news lol.

• Advertisement

Bohsceltic, you need to give yourself more credit than you do. The fact that you are trusted to look after your nephew is phenomenal. The fact you are able to do it is a huge achievement. I know you get joy from it but kids are demanding and you have taken it all in your stride with aplomb. You should try and build on that positivity ... trip to the zoo etc. I know you hate the psoriasis but maybe if you accept it more, the negativity about it would diminish. As my mother always used to tell me when I was embarrassed on the beach as a kid 'no ones minding you' and she was right !

Bohsceltic, you need to give yourself more credit than you do. The fact that you are trusted to look after your nephew is phenomenal. The fact you are able to do it is a huge achievement. I know you get joy from it but kids are demanding and you have taken it all in your stride with aplomb. You should try and build on that positivity ... trip to the zoo etc. I know you hate the psoriasis but maybe if you accept it more, the negativity about it would diminish. As my mother always used to tell me when I was embarrassed on the beach as a kid 'no ones minding you' and she was right !

Thank you. Sometimes i look after 3 of them but not for too long. One of them has Autism, he's only 3 and a half and cannot speak but really clever.

Been learning sign language and also training one of my dogs to help him too.

A trip to the zoo does sound like a fantastic idea. Might even enjoy it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Had a rubbish day Friday, was very stressed at work and went back to square one really.

Had to take today to give myself time and a bit of a talking to. Am going to try and write down anything that caused old behaviour to sneak in next week so I can start to recognise what will trigger and stop myself triggering before I trigger.... If that makes any sense.

Some days I feel I have to tackle anxiety the way I did college... Write down everything, break it down into manageable parts, decide which parts will be worth while tackling and then practice practice practice :pac:

My mornings are dire, wake up with a sense of dread and extreme panic. Have to take a valium and wait for it to kick in.

Really leaning towards ECT as medication isn't working

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

TG i did DBT and what you are describing seems quite similar in structure, well done.. Recognising things so you can put measures in place to help is a brilliant way to tackle things..

My mornings are dire, wake up with a sense of dread and extreme panic. Have to take a valium and wait for it to kick in.

A close friend of mine had ECT done around fifteen years ago. She says it didn't do much and doctors are hesitant to consider it until every other avenue has been explored fully.
    I'll ask her about it..

A close friend of mine had ECT done around fifteen years ago. She says it didn't do much and doctors are hesitant to consider it until every other avenue has been explored fully.
    I'll ask her about it..

Thanks I'd appreciate it

That's like me in the morning. Just anxious but at night i feel better even though thinking much. Valium doesn't work for me so that's when i turn to fecking drink.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    That's like me in the morning. Just anxious but at night i feel better even though thinking much. Valium doesn't work for me so that's when i turn to fecking drink.

Drink might be safer!

How's everyone doing tonight?

• Advertisement

Drink might be safer!

I doubt it mate. Just took one of my dogs for a short walk. Ready for bed now as didn't sleep good last night. Had planned on watching a movie but i think i need to sleep. Probably be awake about 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Such a weird day so much triggering the PTSD today without going into it it hard to explain but I'm just getting triggers all day leading to lots of old thoughts and so many flashbacks that make me scared :(

How's everyone doing today?

Not a bad day yesterday. Football team won and presented with trophy, i ate well, walked the dogs with my friend too and i had a half decent sleep.

Have counselor at 10am. My Sister is coming with me . She demanded that she go with me, have to listen to women, well the good ones anyway :)

Still have not been in contact with the ex, which is probably why i am feeling a bit better.

This is my first visit to this new counselor so just have to see what happens.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Have a mock exam on Wednesday, my nerves are killing me, finding it so difficult to study. All i want to do is sleep

Have a mock exam on Wednesday, my nerves are killing me, finding it so difficult to study. All i want to do is sleep

Could be worse mate, I have to go to court on Wednesday for something stupid i did. This will be my 4th time there now after it kept getting delayed.

Stupidly drank the night before i had to go to work doc and got pulled over the next day as my tax had expired on my car, Guard smelt alcohol and i failed the test.

My own fault in fairness. I know i will lose my licence. Which means it will be hard to ever get back into work. My car was my comfort zone for lunch e.t.c when i just wanted to read the news or listen to radio.

I thought i was fine to drive but obviously not.

Counselor wants to see me again on Thursday too. Today went ok. Up to me now to listen to them and follow the plan.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Could be worse mate, I have to go to court on Wednesday for something stupid i did. This will be my 4th time there now after it kept getting delayed.

Stupidly drank the night before i had to go to work doc and got pulled over the next day as my tax had expired on my car, Guard smelt alcohol and i failed the test.

My own fault in fairness. I know i will lose my licence. Which means it will be hard to ever get back into work. My car was my comfort zone for lunch e.t.c when i just wanted to read the news or listen to radio.

I thought i was fine to drive but obviously not.

Counselor wants to see me again on Thursday too. Today went ok. Up to me now to listen to them and follow the plan.

Sorry to hear that :( hopefully they'll only fine you and be done with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Off again today :( awful weekend.
    Rang local MH services which suggested going to the hospital so I am going there now

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Rang local MH services which suggested going to the hospital so I am going there now

Are you going in as an inpatient or just into a and e?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

lbc2019 wrote: »

Good luck and well done on ringing that must have been hard to do

Advertisement