Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Question from a new a new Ioniq owner

does the handbrake automatically engage when the car is switched off

Is it possible to have sport mode set to be the default

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

k123456 wrote: »

No. But it is in Park like any automatic car. With all the automatics I have had, I rarely use the handbrake when I switch off the car, unless I am parked on a hill.
    k123456 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have sport mode set to be the default

No. Unfortunately this can not be done. I have no doubt that this is #1 on the wishlist of 90% of Ioniq owners. First thing I do every time I get into the car after I press the "ON" switch, is to press the drive mode switch (once) so it is in sports mode :)

Get yourself on that list a few posts up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

k123456 wrote:

It does for me 90% of the time. Can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't the other 10% of the time!

It will rock back and forth a bit as it will be in park, but I always have a second of panic when I think the car is rolling away ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

My handbrake also does 100% of the time also I never ever use park it annoys the t*+s off of me just use the auto hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

BigAl81 wrote: »
    It does for me 90% of the time. Can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't the other 10% of the time!

It will rock back and forth a bit as it will be in park, but I always have a second of panic when I think the car is rolling away ha ha

I think it comes on automatically if you have Auto Hold set.

• Advertisement

Ioniq start up procedure
    1 press button on door to get in
    2 seatbelt
    3 brake pedal
    4 on button
    5 d button
    6 vess off
    7 autohold
    8 arsewarmerx3(optional)
    9 stomp pedal

8&9 are interchangeable 10 happens 100 yards down the road when I decide yes I do want sport mode

Tangential to battery capacity "discussion" what mileages are people on ?
    Mines 53k or was the last time it registered with me.......

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

adunis wrote: »
    Ioniq start up procedure
    1 press button on door to get in
    2 seatbelt
    3 brake pedal
    4 on button
    5 d button
    6 vess off
    7 autohold
    8 arsewarmerx3(optional)
    9 stomp pedal

8&9 are interchangeable 10 happens 100 yards down the road when I decide yes I do want sport mode

Ah here, that's step 5 on my equivalent procedure :pac:

Tangential to battery capacity "discussion" what mileages are people on ?
    Mines 53k or was the last time it registered with me.......

38k km, have it exactly 2.5 years tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

About 48K for me, have it just over 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

52k km, have it just over 1.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

89k km 2 years and 2 months approx

You're probably close to losing a little bit of range, Fermi. Keep us updated!

Fermi for the win,CA 40k a year.

Another maybe useful thought,who else has swapped out the dopey 12v battery?
    Mine at 52k/2years old
    Yes it was ultimately responsible for all the scheduled charging weirdness.

who else has swapped out the dopey 12v battery?

Me. Haven't done it yet, but planning too.

The 12V battery hasn't enough capacity (or rather the high voltage battery should check it more often and top up - but this is outside our control. A software update might sort this though) and there's no need for a lead acid battery if you don't need to crank an internal combustion engine

Rather than spending a good bit of money on a lithium ion battery and hope for the best, I'd rather check if other Ioniq owners have successfully installed one. It's quite common now for (racing) motor bikes to have lithium ion batteries, presumably mostly for losing weight / being faster. And we've established that the Ioniq PHEV actually does have a lithium 12V battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Another maybe useful thought,who else has swapped out the dopey 12v battery?
    Mine at 52k/2years old
    Yes it was ultimately responsible for all the scheduled charging weirdness.

I swapped mine recently just as a precaution, but I had 2 failed to charge at home, car is 2.5 years old 45,000 km. I did have 12v battery troubles before and my auxiliary battery saver kept alerting me after any nights not left on charge, so it was worth the few quid. I did attempt to get dealer to replace it before it passed the 2 year 12v battery warranty period, but dealer said their battery tester said battery was OK and warranty would only replace it if tester said battery was faulty or worn out. Lots of threads online about early 12v battery fails on Ioniq, partly I suspect due to sending cars by ship from korea, and also leaving them not charging at dealers forecourts for weeks.

I think a li-ion battery is probably a step too far,best compromise I can think of is make up an adapter to bolt on a bigger capacity normal battery there's acres of space after all nothing excessive perhaps 60ah ?.having said that however I just stuck in a hopefully better o.e. spec battery.
    Re Mr Hyundai replacing it under warranty..........methink one would be waiting

The Niro has a physically bigger 12v battery. I can't remember the capacity of the Ioniq 12v, but with lead/acid batteries, bigger is normally higher capacity. I must look to see what capacity the Niro has.

Yep but the battery bracket is gonna be different,Ioniq bracket will only take or sized battery as standard
    https://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/automotive-view-all/ybx5053-911.html
    Is what I used 76euto from my tame motor factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Coming into winter everyone should put their 12V onto a battery charger for an extended period (24hrs minimum).

Its the same here every year we hear of people's 12V giving trouble as the temps outside drop. The 12V is probably running low all summer but you get away with it. As soon as the temps drop it sends it over the edge and you end up in trouble.

Stick it on a smart charger and you may not even need a new battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It would be very simple for the manufactures to install a low amp smart charger for the battery as the car gets plugged in to mains regularly. It was something I suggested my colleaque that has a gen 1 LEAF which are known for aux battery issues. A LIDL 15 quid automatic charger would be ideal if that particular charger auto starts charging when plugged in. Many do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

unkel wrote: »
    You're probably close to losing a little bit of range, Fermi. Keep us updated!

I do not see any changes in range. Still about 220-230 in the morning, depending on the weather.

I think a li-ion battery is probably a step too far,best compromise I can think of is make up an adapter to bolt on a bigger capacity normal battery there's acres of space after all nothing excessive perhaps 60ah

The thing is, a lead acid 30Ah battery has half the usable capacity of a lithium 30Ah battery and they are similar in size. So you should be able to slot a lithium battery in to make the problem 90% go away (not of course if you still play with the car for long times while the car is "off")

Dunno how much a similar rated lithium (as the current lead acid battery in Ioniq) would set you back. If it is less than €200, it would be a runner for me. Remember the lithium battery will last 10 years instead of 2-3 years for a lead acid.

Fermi wrote: »
    I do not see any changes in range. Still about 220-230 in the morning, depending on the weather.

You're not quite there yet but you might notice a slight drop in range by next spring. Not that I would worry about it. Degradation in practice for a half decent setup (with some form of cooling, not like the Nissans) is minimal and far lower than almost anyone predicted even a few years ago.

Unkel priced a li-ion,
    230euro best I could find,Point re longevity well taken but too much of a shock to my cashflow.

Any link to it?

Did you do research and found other Ioniq owners had successfully used that particular battery?

The battery in the Niro is 45Ah. This is to perform the exact same functions as in the Ioniq: running the starting function, along with the normal 12V loads.

It seems like a bigger battery is warranted after all.

Still trying to find that li ion battery I found was from a chandelry is all I can remember there may be history on my work pc when I go back

• Advertisement

Still trying to find that li ion battery I found was from a chandelry is all I can remember there may be history on my work pc when I go back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement