Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I know you have to be plugged in alright. I don't really follow what you're saying there in relation to the different menus. When you say charge timer do you mean the off peak hours or the departure time in the charging/climate menu?

I had thoughtthe check boxes for each day were to enable charging on a particular day so I set climate to on, depart time of 8am and only ticked tuesday and thursday. I had expected this to precondition the car every morning for 8 but only charge on tuesday and thursday morning but the check boxes next to the days seem to indicate the days you want the car preconditioned going by this morning as the car had charged but not preconditioned.

It's a hack
    The car is not designed to run the climate timer without being plugged in, and any of the following a) waiting to charge on a timer, b) charging or c) completed charging
    Therefore if you plug in but set the charge timer (off peak timer) to a time slot you know you won't be plugged in. Therefore it won't charge when you do plug in, but will still run the climate control on the climate timer (and use the mains power to do so, assuming you have a 32a supply - at 16a it uses some battery in addition to 16a from mains, the heater is 6kW)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah right, so it's not officially able to do it, you just have to trick it. I'll have a faff with it later on and see. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

zg3409 wrote: »
    Not mine, but I said I would put it here for those looking:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-hyundai-ioniq-premium-electric/23103645

20,800 for 171 in Dublin. 21,000 miles so may be UK import.

Same car only 20,500 on Facebook today.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098 The 300 price drop would easily pay for a black front bumper re-wrap, but not a full all over wrap to your favourite bright radioactive green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

mouthful wrote: »
    75 k km service today- battery 100%

Video of underside of car at this link https://app.quik.auto/j/f0ff7947

All looking great

Your service centre makes videos!? That's freaking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

jusmeig wrote: »

Hyundai Limerick are doing same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hyundai Limerick are doing same

Yeah, Lyng’s In Kilkenny likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

ELM327 wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but your battery is not at 100% after 75k km. Li Ion doesnt work like that.

They've either hidden excess top capacity and release it slowly to match initial deg, or the calculation is wrong.
    You should have 2-7% deg by now

The only measurable element of the battery is the usable part- just like a Tesla, Hyundai do not allow the entirety of the battery to be measured- so my comment pertains only to the usable element which remains at 28kw hour.
    In this instance we are both correct!

Divers Hyundai in Letterkenny- ask for Daniel he is great

The only measurable element of the battery is the usable part- just like a Tesla, Hyundai do not allow the entirety of the battery to be measured- so my comment pertains only to the usable element which remains at 28kw hour.
    In this instance we are both correct!

Tesla do (indirectly) by visible tesla app.

You may still have 28kWh available, in mine at 50k km when I sold it it still had 28kWh available.

However that is achieved in my opinion by drip feeding a hidden reserve to mask degradation for the first owner. So it is not, and cannot, be 0 actual degradation. Pretty nefarious, and we all slated Nissan for their dodgy tricks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What about those Tesla 60 owners with a (unknown to them) 75 battery, their health status will be quite good for a significant period of time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    What about those Tesla 60 owners with a (unknown to them) 75 battery, their health status will be quite good for a significant period of time

I doubt it's unknown to any of them, considering the option to "unlock capacity" is listed in their Tesla account

Yeah you're right, I meant unknown at time of purchase, think it was after they were sold Tesla let them know the battery size and made the extra capacity purchasable, nice bonus, especially if you're happy with the 60 range, keep that battery 20%-80% and it could last many many years

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah you're right, I meant unknown at time of purchase, think it was after they were sold Tesla let them know the battery size and made the extra capacity purchasable, nice bonus, especially if you're happy with the 60 range, keep that battery 20%-80% and it could last many many years

The battery in the other Model S will last about 20 years, so the battery in these 60 might last 40 years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

keep that battery 20%-80% and it could last many many years

This is no longer valid surely is it?

Even charging to 100% the batteries will outlast the car. Tesla has moved on from this leaf mentality.

krissovo wrote: »
    keep that battery 20%-80% and it could last many many years

Even charging to 100% the batteries will outlast the car. Tesla has moved on from this leaf mentality.
    Elon Musk explains why you shouldn't charge your Tesla battery to 100%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/tesla-battery-charge-max.amp

Kona has setting to limit charging below 100%. Ioniq does not, but I try not to charge to 100% at weekends, by not plugging in and just boost charging the car on a timer on the wall charger.

krissovo wrote: »

It's always been valid. In theory. If you keep a lithium battery between 25% and 75% and at a constant temp of 20C it will last the guts of 100 years with one cycle per day :)

In a car, with normal use including fast charging, fast acceleration and (mostly slow) charging to 100% (which is not really 100%), a lithium battery should easily outlast the car (say 15 years) and then be still good enough to be used as grid / home storage for another 15 years. So your point is valid that you don't need to worry about it. It will make no noticeable difference and your car won't last longer or is worth more if you treat the battery with kid gloves all its life.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla do (indirectly) by visible tesla app.

You may still have 28kWh available, in mine at 50k km when I sold it it still had 28kWh available.

However that is achieved in my opinion by drip feeding a hidden reserve to mask degradation for the first owner. So it is not, and cannot, be 0 actual degradation. Pretty nefarious, and we all slated Nissan for their dodgy tricks

We will need to agree to disagree- I brought a car with a 28 kw hr battery- and guess what it still has a 28 kw hr battery-

That may not be enough for you, but it is for me. This is my final word on the matter

We will need to agree to disagree- I brought a car with a 28 kw hr battery- and guess what it still has a 28 kw hr battery-

Nope, you bought a car with a 31kWh battery. With 28kWh available. This is still available. To me as well, 2.5 years after I got Ioniq. The range is still the same.

But this is a bit of trickery, at some point our available capacity will be lower than 28kWh, but probably not until the car has close to 100k km on it. We will then notice the range going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I guess this depends on a lot of factors though. Mine has nearly 120,000km. On it now, still getting nearly the same range I got the day I bought it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

I guess this depends on a lot of factors though. Mine has nearly 120,000km. On it now, still getting nearly the same range I got the day I bought it.

That's the relevant word.

On any lithium battery there will be degradation from day one. The degradation should be slow and gradual, leaving you with a capacity of somewhere from 80-90% after say 10 years / 200k km is my estimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, you bought a car with a 31kWh battery. With 28kWh available. This is still available. To me as well, 2.5 years after I got Ioniq. The range is still the same.

But this is a bit of trickery, at some point our available capacity will be lower than 28kWh, but probably not until the car has close to 100k km on it. We will then notice the range going down.

Yes and how it should be

What Nissan are doing is like going to the shop, buying a pair of size 10 runners and they shrinking down a few sizes over time :)

All batteries should have no degradation to at min 160k km

But this is a bit of trickery, at some point our available capacity will be lower than 28kWh, but probably not until the car has close to 100k km on it. We will then notice the range going down.[/quote]

Yawn

Yawn

It's your prerogative to remain uneducated. But don't keep posting falsehoods after it is explained to you how something works.

It's your prerogative to remain uneducated. But don't keep posting falsehoods after it is explained to you how something works.

You are a bit of a pain this evening! It is not very difficult to agree to disagree, if you try!

Mike9832 wrote: »
    All batteries should have no degradation to at min 160k km

Can we agree on a compromise, batteries should start out with 120% capacity, so they are 100% at 160k km?!

That may not be enough for you, but it is for me. This is my final word on the matter
    Lol
    If you're going to be pompous at least get the units right

+1

zg3409 wrote: »
    Can we agree on a compromise, batteries should start out with 120% capacity, so they are 100% at 160k km?!
    lmao that is exactly what is happing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Almost, the Ioniq is believed to start with 110%, it's not expected to start losing usable capacity till around 95,000km.

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    31. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    32. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    33. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    34. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    35. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    36. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    37. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    38. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    39. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    40. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    41. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    42. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    43. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    44. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    45. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D
    46. adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L
    47. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - 192
    48. jusmeig - Ioniq BEV - 181D
    49. cafard - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 192G
    50. Petetheroadie - Ioniq BEV - Pearl Iron Grey - 191MH
    51. Mouthful Ioniq BEV - Black - 172D
    52. Scalachi Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 171WW

• Advertisement

I thought it was normal now. Volvo owner, get video and still of everything at service

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement