Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Bawnmore wrote: »
    How are these going? Payday this week so might treat myself to some beans I haven't tried.

Haven't gotten much play time yet so I wouldn't let this review sway your custom.
    I started with oromia..I use about 17g, usual poor of around 25-30s and produce about 1.5fluid oz. of espresso. I usually add same again of hot water. Might take that down to 14g or so because i found it quite strong. Certainly gives you a kick, although leaves it difficult to zone in on the flavours.
    Aswell as the amount of coffee being used my machines pid is acting up and I'm afraid the temp is too high.
    So all in all, treacle flavours, heavy bodied, will kick start your day big time.

By no means let me put you off as it takes me a while to adjust to new beans and I'm only making 1-2 cups a day since sat. With new beans I tend to spend a lot of time to adjust, hopefully I'll get a while to myself this week where I can just make a few coffees in a row and really see whats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

milhous wrote: »
    Haven't gotten much play time yet so I wouldn't let this review sway your custom.
    I started with oromia..I use about 17g, usual poor of around 25-30s and produce about 1.5fluid oz. of espresso. I usually add same again of hot water. Might take that down to 14g or so because i found it quite strong. Certainly gives you a kick, although leaves it difficult to zone in on the flavours.
    Aswell as the amount of coffee being used my machines pid is acting up and I'm afraid the temp is too high.
    So all in all, treacle flavours, heavy bodied, will kick start your day big time.

By no means let me put you off as it takes me a while to adjust to new beans and I'm only making 1-2 cups a day since sat. With new beans I tend to spend a lot of time to adjust, hopefully I'll get a while to myself this week where I can just make a few coffees in a row and really see whats up.

Great stuff - thanks for the breakdown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I feckin' smashed my KeepCup that I got from Bailies as part of a special sub offer before xmas :(:(:(

It's a 6 month sub with a couple of months left so I'll be on the lookout to get a new sub from somehwere with a nice cup as a part of it.

God dammit, they only just fixed the BtC in work too, the coffee was delish this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I feckin' smashed my KeepCup that I got from Bailies as part of a special sub offer before xmas :(:(:(

It's a 6 month sub with a couple of months left so I'll be on the lookout to get a new sub from somehwere with a nice cup as a part of it.

God dammit, they only just fixed the BtC in work too, the coffee was delish this morning.

Same thing happened to me, but got another cup from bailies at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bell Lane now doing single origin coffees - launched today!
    Can get them as a subscription rotated monthly too.
    Fair play to them for expanding and looking to improve. I do love their new packaging also.

https://www.belllane.ie/product-category/single-origin-coffee/

https://www.belllane.ie/product/single-origin-rotation-espresso/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Bell Lane now doing single origin coffees - launched today!
    Can get them as a subscription rotated monthly too.
    Fair play to them for expanding and looking to improve. I do love their new packaging also.

https://www.belllane.ie/product-category/single-origin-coffee/

https://www.belllane.ie/product/single-origin-rotation-espresso/

I’m a big bell lane fan. I have ordered some of their new single origin beans. Should have the tomorrow!!
    They have a 20% offer at the moment which makes it great value.

Yeah I really like their dragonfly and moondust in particular. I go back to them every so often as an old reliable as I know you'll get a good coffee from them!

Where is the 20% on bell lane site or it is a code

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

mad m wrote: »
    Where is the 20% on bell lane site or it is a code

It’s on Facebook.

Use "FLASHSALE20" at the checkout.

Completely forgot Caviardreams posted it last week:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Grabbed a bag of Supernova, Dragonfly and the Brazilian single origin from Bell Lane there - thanks for the heads up on the discount!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The coffee from Sostrene Grene is quite nice from my aeropress.

Drinking a lot of herbal teas recently too. Pukka green tea with berries is lovely. Yogi detox is nice and spicy.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The coffee from Sostrene Grene is quite nice from my aeropress.

bean or ground?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bean or ground?

Ground. It's quite light tasting. And cheap. Under €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Milhous, what did you think of the Dreambeans coffee when you got used to it? Did you like it? Thanks. Which did you prefer, the Oromio or the Torero? I like the sound of Torero. It's a lot cheaper than Oromio. https://dreambeanscoffee.com/product/torero/
    milhous wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Old bean to cup machine at work gave up the ghost so in the meantime I was thinking of just bringing in an old blade grinder and one of those cheap drip filter machines (like this one form Argos)

Anyone have any experience with these types of machines? I'd just be putting Lavazza bean into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

jeffwode wrote: »
    Milhous, what did you think of the Dreambeans coffee when you got used to it? Did you like it? Thanks. Which did you prefer, the Oromio or the Torero? I like the sound of Torero. It's a lot cheaper than Oromio. https://dreambeanscoffee.com/product/torero/

Actually in the end neither were particularly great. I buy there because they're local and usually get the supremo which is a good all rounder. Milk and espresso.i will revert to them. The last ones I had were grand for milk but not great for espresso imo.

megaten wrote: »
    Old bean to cup machine at work gave up the ghost so in the meantime I was thinking of just bringing in an old blade grinder and one of those cheap drip filter machines (like this one form Argos)

Anyone have any experience with these types of machines? I'd just be putting Lavazza bean into it.

Aeropress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Just received my first order from Bailies today

I got a bag of Umbra and a bag of Pendo

Free delivery

However the roast date is 20/02

Is that not too long ago? Its nearly three weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

mickydcork wrote: »
    However the roast date is 20/02

Is that not too long ago? Its nearly three weeks ago!

Damn right.

My 3fe orders are generally roasted the day before and my bailies are generally a few days before.

3 weeks is nuts.

I'd get on to them

• Advertisement

In fairness it's actually closer to 2 weeks as Feb is a short month but still that is surprising for them - normally I would get it a week after roast date, as delivery takes a few days I find.

I would contact them - they messed up an order for me before by leaving out two bags of my order and their customer service fixed it pronto and threw in a free bag too. I never mind companies making mistakes as these things happen, it's how they respond that counts imo.

In fairness it's actually closer to 2 weeks as Feb is a short month but still that is surprising for them - normally I would get it a week after roast date, as delivery takes a few days I find.

I would contact them - they messed up an order for me before by leaving out two bags of my order and their customer service fixed it pronto and threw in a free bag too. I never mind companies making mistakes as these things happen, it's how they respond that counts imo.

You're actually right about it being closer to two weeks.

However I contacted them anyway and got a quick and super response back! Full refund.

Excellent customer service!

Will not hesitate to order from them in the future!!

They also suggested ordering on the weekend or a Monday to get freshest beans as they roast on a Monday.

You're actually right about it being closer to two weeks.

However I contacted them anyway and got a quick and super response back! Full refund.

Excellent customer service!

Will not hesitate to order from them in the future!!

They also suggested ordering on the weekend or a Monday to get freshest beans as they roast on a Monday.

For me even two weeks is a bit much.

But they really do have great customer service been very happy with them AND the coffee!

limnam wrote: »
    For me even two weeks is a bit much.

But they really do have great customer service been very happy with them AND the coffee!

Yeah, great customer service.

What beans do you regularly go for?

Yeah, great customer service.

What beans do you regularly go for?

I have subs so whatever they send.

Never received anything I was even mildly not happy with

They sent me Yirgacheffe after xmas there, and it was less yirga-ey than previous yirgas I've yirgaed

Currently really enjoying the Bell Lane Ethiopia Ngelle Gorbitu
    https://www.belllane.ie/product/ngelle-gorbitu-ethiopia-espresso/

Slowly going to work my way through their new single origins I think! The FLASHSALE20 code still works for 20% off them I think.

Does anyone know if the 250g bags that most coffee come in are recyclable?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Does anyone know if the 250g bags that most coffee come in are recyclable?

Not if they're foil-lined which most are.

Thanks. For all the effort with reusable cups I feel I am letting things down now with the bags :-(
    Would be great if something could be done about this aspect too, surely a strong enough paper might work, though it may compromise freshness too much I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody know of any bricks & mortar shops/cafes in south dublin where you can get aeropress paper filters?

(I am aware of the metal ones)

Advertisement