Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who can help me fix my espresso machine?

Kenilwoth Electric weren't much help as it is a brand they don't ervice (La Spazialle)

Steam boiler not working, seems to be some blockage in there somewhere.

Bought it from the UK o don't really want to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

adrian522 wrote: »

Kenilwoth Electric weren't much help as it is a brand they don't ervice (La Spazialle)

I know this’ll sound stupid but I had a major blockage in the pump of my gaggia classic. Unfortunately had to replace it. It was due to not rescaling it often enoug. We live in a seriously hard water area.

Would it be worth giving it a descale if you haven’t already done so or haven’t done it as often as you’d have liked?

I had descaled mine but nowhere near enough.

Again sorry if that sounds obvious

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I know this’ll sound stupid but I had a major blockage in the pump of my gaggia classic. Unfortunately had to replace it. It was due to not rescaling it often enoug. We live in a seriously hard water area.

Would it be worth giving it a descale if you haven’t already done so or haven’t done it as often as you’d have liked?

I had descaled mine but nowhere near enough.

Again sorry if that sounds obvious

Descaling on this machine is difficult as you have to get the descaler into the steam boiler which is not easy. They generally recomend against descaling but I could put from Dezcal through it to see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Nightmare. Mine is a year or two older than yours and never had an issue. The odd time I knock off the steam boiler by accident which I assume isn't your problem?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Wow.....wasn't aware of that difficulty at all re: descaling steam boiler, but after just reading,
    https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/descaling-double-boiler-espresso-machine-t15438.html

it seems like a faff alright.
    Sorry to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Descaling on this machine is difficult as you have to get the descaler into the steam boiler which is not easy. They generally recomend against descaling but I could put from Dezcal through it to see if it makes a difference.

Take the top cover off the machine. Use a funnel to pour decaler in with some boiling water. Leave it half an hour. Drain the boiiler

Definitely have the machine cold and plugged out of course!

donnacha wrote: »
    Nightmare. Mine is a year or two older than yours and never had an issue. The odd time I knock off the steam boiler by accident which I assume isn't your problem?

No, You hit the boiler button and it sounds like its starting up then all the lights go off except for thew boiler light, then if you hit boiler again it turns off the steam boiler. So its espresso only at the moment.

Have you descaled at all?
    Planet X wrote: »
    Wow.....wasn't aware of that difficulty at all re: descaling steam boiler, but after just reading,
    https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/descaling-double-boiler-espresso-machine-t15438.html

it seems like a faff alright.
    Sorry to hear.

Yeah, its a bit of a pian.
    Autochange wrote: »
    Take the top cover off the machine. Use a funnel to pour decaler in with some boiling water. Leave it half an hour. Drain the boiiler

Definitely have the machine cold and plugged out of course!

Yeah, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

No, You hit the boiler button and it sounds like its starting up then all the lights go off except for thew boiler light, then if you hit boiler again it turns off the steam boiler. So its espresso only at the moment.

Have you descaled at all?

Nope, I haven't descaled at all :o
    Since reading about your troubles I've started paying attention to the noise the boiler is making on start-up ... I'll have to look into doing this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Did of routine cleaning on the Gaggia classic today. Cafiza’d and descaled.

What wasn’t routine was when I changed the burrs in my Gaggia MDF. Can’t remember how old the machine is but must be over 5 years.

1 espresso done at a grind setting of 4.

Up to today I had to have it with the burrs nearly rubbing together to get anything close to an espresso.

So all in all, result. I must say I love how easy it is to do maintainence on both the classic and MDF. Neither are top of the range but are still going.

Between pumps and burrs I’m becoming a bit of a Gaggia mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone else tried the Bailies Christmas blend? Am a bit disappointed but I probably need to tweak the grind a bit. Last year's was lovely I thought but this seems to lack something.

• Advertisement

I take it back, after fiddling around with teh grind, the Bailies Christmas blend improved a lot and was very nice (though not as nice as last year imo)

Got a present of the much-lauded on here Nick's Sweet Espresso for Xmas which is lovely and my first time trying it. Does he roast it himself? I just noticed they were relabelling Bailies Xmas blend and reselling it so wondered if they also sourced their Sweet espresso from them perhaps?

https://www.facebook.com/NicksCoffeeCompanyLtd/photos/a.316302158495468/1779989365460066/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Got a present of the much-lauded on here Nick's Sweet Espresso for Xmas which is lovely and my first time trying it. Does he roast it himself? I just noticed they were relabelling Bailies Xmas blend and reselling it so wondered if they also sourced their Sweet espresso from them perhaps?
    They do. AFAIK They blend to Nick's specifications.

Been rocking my way through a bag of this from Bailies - really nice, very milk chocolatey. Good price too.
    Will be reordering!

https://www.bailiescoffee.com/collections/coffee-beans/products/brazil-mountain-mogiana-natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just ordered a kg each of blue mountain Kenya beans and java ground from Adams & Russell. £32

Just ordered a kg each of blue mountain Kenya beans and java ground from Adams & Russell. £32

Really must order from them - the cuban piqued my interest but it has a weird message on it about not being able to order through the website. Actually looked a bit dodgy as I can't understand why some beans would be different??
    https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/products/coffee/serrano-1kg/

Really must order from them - the cuban piqued my interest but it has a weird message on it about not being able to order through the website. Actually looked a bit dodgy as I can't understand why some beans would be different??
    https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/products/coffee/serrano-1kg/

That's odd but having ordered from them before I wouldn't have any issues with them.
    The blue Kenyan is a repeat order for me.
    The velvet blend flavours looked interesting(originally said java..it's Brazilian)

https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/wholesale/products/coffee/velvet-espresso-blend/

That's odd but having ordered from them before I wouldn't have any issues with them.
    The blue Kenyan is a repeat order for me.
    The velvet blend flavours looked interesting(originally said java..it's Brazilian)

https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/wholesale/products/coffee/velvet-espresso-blend/

Good site that, nice selection of green beans

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Ordered from these: https://dreambeanscoffee.com
    I'm in Louth and have previously picked up off green bean in dundalk. I like their stuff.
    Free delivery over 30 quid so I ended up ordering a kg bag and a 500g bag. They say they are roast to order so will see how long it takes to receive and how nice what I ordered is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

milhous wrote: »
    I'm in Louth and have previously picked up off green bean in dundalk. I like their stuff.
    Free delivery over 30 quid so I ended up ordering a kg bag and a 500g bag. They say they are roast to order so will see how long it takes to receive and how nice what I ordered is.

Joining their mailing list and get 15% off first order

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Good site that, nice selection of green beans

Am I right in thinking you need to roast the green beans yourself?

• Advertisement

Cheers - never come across them before so will be interested to hear back!

Would prefer a bit more info on the blends though e.g. Mocha
    "The beans and origins are a secret. It’s 100% Arabica but that’s all we’re saying" :rolleyes:

Yes, but they sell them roasted too.

Yep. There's a few methods for doing that, a fan oven, a wok, a popcorn maker (wait for Aldi to sell them again) or a home roasting machine.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Yep. There's a few methods for doing that, a fan oven, a wok, a popcorn maker (wait for Aldi to sell them again) or a home roasting machine.
    Cant see why you'd want green beans but not everything in life is simple :rolleyes:

Cheers - never come across them before so will be interested to hear back!

Would prefer a bit more info on the blends though e.g. Mocha
    "The beans and origins are a secret. It’s 100% Arabica but that’s all we’re saying" :rolleyes:

And the descriptions were all kind of generic too, each one paraphrasing the last.

Cant see why you'd want green beans but not everything in life is simple :rolleyes:

It's simple. So I can have freshly roasted coffee to my own taste.

Ok so ordered Sunday, they were dispatched Wednesday and delivered today. Came in a pretty big box, plenty of shredded paper for protection. Packet is stamped as roasted on the 21st. See pics attached. I'd say it will be tmo, maybe Friday before I get tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

fresh roasted beans are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Came in a pretty big box, plenty of shredded paper for protection.

Got forbid they might get damaged ahead of grinding them. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ok so ordered Sunday, they were dispatched Wednesday and delivered today. Came in a pretty big box, plenty of shredded paper for protection. Packet is stamped as roasted on the 21st. See pics attached. I'd say it will be tmo, maybe Friday before I get tasting.

How are these going? Payday this week so might treat myself to some beans I haven't tried.

Advertisement