Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

I starting to use the aeropress more and more again. It really does give a cracking cup of Coffee if you have decent freshly ground beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Glebee wrote: »
    I starting to use the aeropress more and more again. It really does give a cracking cup of Coffee if you have decent freshly ground beans.
    I've always found it harder to get a better taste than the V60 - I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it has come out bitter a lot of the time recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I just found this forum! Coffee is my favourite drink.

I am not great at making good home brewed coffee, wish it tasted more professional. But I add a pinch of salt to the grounds to help prevent bitterness (it happens alot when brewing strong coffee).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just lashed into the Bailies Christmas Blend this morning! Top marks, lovely flavour. May have to restock before the big day! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I want to buy some good coffee for Christmas and I'm thinking that it might be too late for delivery now. Are there any coffee shops in Dublin that sell whole beans similar in quality to Ponaire or Bell Lane? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There are yes. What part of the city are you in?

Vice, 3Fe, Roasted Brown, Coffee Angel, Cloudpicker, would all sell good beans. Can be pricey in some places. My go to place is Nicks Sweet espresso in Ranelgh, though thats as much for convenience as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

adrian522 wrote: »
    There are yes. What part of the city are you in?

Vice, 3Fe, Roasted Brown, Coffee Angel, Cloudpicker, would all sell good beans. Can be pricey in some places. My go to place is Nicks Sweet espresso in Ranelgh, though thats as much for convenience as anything.

Thanks! I live in north Dublin so I will check those recommendations to see which is closest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Cloudpicker is on Sheriff St, so probably that.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Thanks! I live in north Dublin so I will check those recommendations to see which is closest.

Most high-end cafes sell beans in store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

badger and dodo will still deliver in time for xmas. at least i am pretty sure they will, need to check as i need to get my xmas order in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Lads I want to buy some good coffee for Christmas and I'm thinking that it might be too late for delivery now. Are there any coffee shops in Dublin that sell whole beans similar in quality to Ponaire or Bell Lane? Thanks.

Bailies delivery takes about 4 days. Good value too.

Bailies delivery takes about 4 days. Good value too.

Yes, I'd say Bailies would get to you in time, and the Christmas blend is superb imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yes, I'd say Bailies would get to you in time, and the Christmas blend is superb imo!

Maybe its just me, but not to gone on Christmas blend.

mad m wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but not to gone on Christmas blend.

Sure these things are subjective - I tend to prefer sweeter, low acidity, coffees with a chocolately, biscuity, milky taste, and I know others that swear by the citrusy ones!

I found it definitely lived up the "cherry praline" element of the tasting notes - almost like a faint cherry milk chocolate/biscuit. Not for everyone though.

And I am not sure I got much brandy snap :D

It could be the way I’m making it. Got a Delonghi bean to cup machine so beans are in it. What method are you doing?

mad m wrote: »
    It could be the way I’m making it. Got a Delonghi bean to cup machine so beans are in it. What method are you doing?

A Delonghi bean to cup! :D:D

I find I need to grind setting on the finest with these beans to get a 20 second extraction time. Took me a few tweaks to get it right

A Delonghi bean to cup! :D:D

I find I need to grind setting on the finest with these beans to get a 20 second extraction time. Took me a few tweaks to get it right

Have the 4200. What number is setting on. Do you do full cup also?

I have had mine ages could not tell you what model, but I looks very similar to the 4200

The "cup" setting is at about 10 on the clockface and the beans/coffee setting at about 12 - grind on the finest setting - that gives a 20 second extraction time for me which is what I was looking for.

I have been having it as an americano also, not sure if you are having milk based drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

It not easy to get half decent shot on Delonghi bean to cup, no matter how cheap or expensive it is.
    1. You have to measure precisely how much water goes in to cup ( your aim is 50-60 ml for the shot ) Best method , use digital scale , 1 gm of water=1 ml
    2.then set amount of beans to grind to Max
    3. Play with the grinder settings ( it is at the bean hopper , from 1-7 if I recall it right) your aim is 25-30 sec for 50-60ml shot , if it is faster than try finer setting or coarser if it is slower then 30 sec)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

alec76 wrote: »
    It not easy to get half decent shot on Delonghi bean to cup, no matter how cheap or expensive it is.
    1. You have to measure precisely how much water goes in to cup ( your aim is 50-60 ml for the shot ) Best method , use digital scale , 1 gm of water=1 ml
    3. Play with the grinder settings ( it is at the bean hopper , from 1-7 if I recall it right) your aim is 25-30 sec for 50-60ml shot , if it is faster than try finer setting or coarser if it is slower then 30 sec)

That's a very long shot. 40ml would be was long as I would have every gone, that using a somewhere between 18 to 20g of coffee. Would such a long shot not be lacking body?

• Advertisement

That's a very long shot. 40ml would be was long as I would have every gone, that using a somewhere between 18 to 20g of coffee. Would such a long shot not be lacking body?

I usually aim for 30-40ml for a single shot.

Sorry, I’ve thought everyone drinking double shots, lol.
    I am not sure if I ever had single basket?
    Normally it is VST 18g basket I am using .
    50-60 ml (2 oz) would be industry standard for the double .

No worries :D

I always do two single shots to make a double, as then I don't have to change the settings if I want to make a single! So I go for 30ml and 20 seconds or so _ I find it produces a good cup for my tastes anyway!

Sorry, I’ve thought everyone drinking double shots, lol.
    I am not sure if I ever had single basket?
    Normally it is VST 18g basket I am using .
    50-60 ml (2 oz) would be industry standard for the double .

A standard would be somewhere around the 40g mark. Generally you would stop the shot around 36g and the remaining flow would take it to around 40g, depending on the recipe/coffee. That's been my experience while working in speciality coffee on and off for the last 10 years or so. That said, once you like the result that's all that matters.

World Barista Championship 2016, Dublin
    Regulations

https://www.worldbaristachampionship.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016-WBC-Rules-and-Regulations-Updated1.pdf
    Section 2.2.1
    Espresso
    shot (1 oz) 30ml +/- 5 ml i.e. double shot 60 ml
    Extraction time 20-30 sec

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

On the Magnifica, when do you start counting your extraction time. Is it just after the grinder stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The Brazilian bean Urbanity are using at the moment has a phenomenal taste. Really recommend you grab a flat white and check it out.

Regulations

https://www.worldbaristachampionship.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016-WBC-Rules-and-Regulations-Updated1.pdf
    Section 2.2.1
    Espresso

Be that as it may I'll still take my leat from the likes of Tim Wendelboe (who is a former WBC winner).

I've worked in 4 speciality coffee shops in Dublin and they all would never go beyond 40g. I've also worked with two IBC champions and they both used 40 or less in competition.

No worries :D

I always do two single shots to make a double, as then I don't have to change the settings if I want to make a single! So I go for 30ml and 20 seconds or so _ I find it produces a good cup for my tastes anyway!
    Regulations

Section 2.2.1
    Espresso

Does this mean I am ready for the World Barista Champs? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do Ml and G correspond 1:1 with the espresso output?

I'd usually go with 16g of beans and 25g of espresso at the end of it. That seems to work well, though not sure how many ML's that is.

Advertisement