Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Has Spring 2016 been really that poor? My statistics tell me so:

Rainfall: 206.4mm (155% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 7.9c (-0.8c below the LTA)
    Sunshine: 476 hours (114% of the LTA)

It has been a wet, cold and sunny Spring here. If I see "wet and cold", then it's my definition of poor even if it was sunny.

I must say though that 50% of this seasonal rainfall total was recorded only in April - which was my second wettest on record. This clearly shows that Spring's rainfall has been very unevenly distributed.

March was exactly average, April was extremely wet and May has been moderately wet.

Spring 2016 is quite similar as 2015 actually. Here are 2015's statistics:

Rainfall: 212.3mm (160% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 7.6c (-1.1c below the LTA)
    Sunshine: 529 hours (127% of the LTA)

2015 was actually sunnier, colder and wetter than 2016 meaning that Spring 2016 is much like Summer 2015 - seems very poor but in reality is very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I don't have a weather station but just from observation, Spring in the western half of the country seems to have been good going in terms growth. All trees fully green, lawns growing very fast and some fields are already in good tall meadows. Growth seems to be well ahead of normal. Conditions seem good with plenty of warm sunshine and enough rain, thankfully not to much. Lawns and parks are like concrete to walk on. In my own garden plants and shrubs have come back to life and had growth spurts much better than I expected for May.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Has Spring 2016 been really that poor? My statistics tell me so:

Rainfall: 206.4mm (155% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 7.9c (-0.8c below the LTA)
    Sunshine: 476 hours (114% of the LTA)

It has been a wet, cold and sunny Spring here. If I see "wet and cold", then it's my definition of poor even if it was sunny.

I must say though that 50% of this seasonal rainfall total was recorded only in April - which was my second wettest on record. This clearly shows that Spring's rainfall has been very unevenly distributed.

March was exactly average, April was extremely wet and May has been moderately wet.

Spring 2016 is quite similar as 2015 actually. Here are 2015's statistics:

Rainfall: 212.3mm (160% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 7.6c (-1.1c below the LTA)
    Sunshine: 529 hours (127% of the LTA)

2015 was actually sunnier, colder and wetter than 2016 meaning that Spring 2016 is much like Summer 2015 - seems very poor but in reality is very average.

To add onto this, I must also point out that all the Spring 2016 months are sunnier than normal but only March and April were sunny in Spring 2015 though Spring 2015 was sunnier than 2016? This clearly is due to the result of April 2015 being the sunniest on record - the sunshine totals were more like Summer month totals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

12 degrees here now cold and dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

13c here. Dull alright, but dry. Wouldn't calll it cold either, the lack of wind makes it relatively okay.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call 17/18 warm so its all relative I guess.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Bright day today with just the odd patch of light rain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A dreary day here in Dublin 16. High of just 11.5c! 10.6c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where the hell is this supposedly good weather? Freezing and dull in Waterford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Unlucky, sun shining in Limerick.

• Advertisement

A hazy but nice afternoon in Dublin CC.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

Met reckons it could be dry and sunny with highs of 24c in places next Thursday.

Times say "TEMPETURES SET TO SOAR FOR THE BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND!" "Sizzling" and "heatwave" also used.

I'm sure it's nice in parts of the country but unfortunately not here it's dull cool misty. Hopefully things are going to pick up here.

Had a great evening here in West Clare, from 2pm-6pm there was unbroken sunshine with only light sirrus clouds to be seen in the sky. MAX temp today of 21.2c!

It has not been a very sunny day but it has been a very pleasant day with fresh breezes and sunny intervals here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some clear skies about , some cloud also, just a heads up for anyone with clear skies now there is 4 extremely bright passes tonight from the ISS(space station)....2239-2242 , 0013-0019 , 0149-0155, 0325-0321

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely lashing here in north meath for the last half hour, i feel like clonmel now with this weather, ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Much milder today, clouding in though. Showers later no doubt.

Warm and sunny in north Wicklow. Great start to the weekend.

Absolutely lashing here in north meath for the last half hour, i feel like clonmel now with this weather, ;)

It's actually a lovely morning here sun breaking through and 20 degrees. I'm sure it won't last but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement

I still have not recorded a drip of rain here at Grange since last Sunday! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sun is out now, time to get the barby out

20c here in West Clare, suns out now and its sickeningly humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Partially cloudy with the sun breaking in and out with timely blasts of heat presently here in Limerick city. It's going to be a lovely afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Warmest day of the year for my location here in north Kilkenny, currently 21.2C and still rising.
    I think we may avoid thunderstorms here but who knows, maybe the heat will spark something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

20.2C in Castlebar, but very overcast.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

Met.ie couldn't have been more wrong today, but I won't complain as its scorching out

Xenji wrote: »

Not a cloud in sight here :D

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    Met.ie couldn't have been more wrong today, but I won't complain as its scorching out

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »

Raining here in Murrisk (near Westport). Echoes showing up now on the Met.ie radar.

Advertisement