Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clumping Bargains Together into Big Threads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

athtrasna wrote: »
    How hard is it to go to the end of a super thread? Personally I think superthreads are better, less clutter on the forum.

Yes, but the problem is that a super thread is endless. A fantastic bargain on the last page can all too quickly become last page -1, then in no time buried too deep to find.

Unless you're one of those impulsive bargain hunters that visit every couple of minutes of every day, this can quickly become next to useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yes, but the problem is that a super thread is endless. A fantastic bargain on the last page can all too quickly become last page -1, then in no time buried too deep to find.

Unless you're one of those impulsive bargain hunters that visit every couple of minutes of every day, this can quickly become next to useless.

The other argument is that ba regulars check those threads so don't have to start at the beginning, you see from the first new post. That gives ba regulars an advantage. If every bargain was a new thread you'd get a whole load of others snapping up the bargains first, with many invariably ending up on Adverts.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The other argument is that ba regulars check those threads so don't have to start at the beginning, you see from the first new post. That gives ba regulars an advantage. If every bargain was a new thread you'd get a whole load of others snapping up the bargains first, with many invariably ending up on Adverts.

I'd imagine those adverts sellers are regulars here anyhow, even more so then genuine buyers. So I personally don't buy into that train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I guess to get a balance if there's a super bargain, it needs to go in an individual thread. For not so super bargains post it in super threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Big super threads are a horrible idea IMO..

.. I've never been a fan!

The whole point of a Bargain Alerts forum is that you can scan the front page and see bargains, instead of having to open 5 or 6 and scan the last few posts.

Just my 2c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The superthreads are a pain. People talk about clutter but the superthreads are like tidying up by throwing everything, in a pile, in the cupboard.

I would much rather have them individually listed even if I have to check a couple of pages. It's easy to scan through a list.

How do you decide if a bargain is good enough to deserve it's own thread ? We are all individuals & want to buy different things. There could be the perfect bargain now in the Tesco, Argos or Amazon threads if you can be arsed to read through pages of items & discussion that have no interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

The ideal way would be for everything to have it's own thread and then the tag of the retailer. That way you could click in the retailer tag if you wanted only bargains from them.
    Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah, they're too easy to miss the bargains.

It's bargains alerts, not bargains threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on the OP, I rarely if ever go into Argos/Tesco superthreads, theyre just too cluttered with chat and bargains I've no interest in. Better to just have a list view imo, its not hard to click back a few pages and scan 100 thread titles in a couple of minutes to see if theres anything you're interested in

Perhaps the best way to demonstrate against super threads is to start posting individual bargain alert threads for single bargains.

The more this is done the further the super threads will be buried.

Then it's RIP SUPER THREADS!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Mr E wrote: »
    It could go the other way, though. Let's say a separate thread was used for every little bargain - every little phone cover, mop, pack of batteries, pack of nappies, slab of beer, crisps, cheap SSD, every cheap flight etc. had their own thread. If the bargain you were interested in was pushed to page 4 (and you missed it because of that), you'll get people complaining about all the stupid "one post" bargains cluttering the forum.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The first 2 pages of the forum covers 3 days at present. Wouldn't be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Thargor wrote: »
    Each bargain should have its own thread like the way it always was, that way the cream rises to the top and you can see whats good at a glance, burying them within threads where fluffy slippers are given the same exposure as free money from Amazon just makes it a pain in the ass to find anything.

I agree, these monster threads are so messy that I don't even go near them any more..

Probably yes, I'm missing out on some bargains, but at least I won't get 25 email notifications a day, each for 5 pages of irrelevant conversation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

So, as far as I can see of the people who have replied to this thread there are 19 who are against the 'superthreads' and 4 for are for them. 1 of the 4 who are for them is a mod. (I say, Bring back 'Basq')

It would also seem, having reviewed the thread, that those who are against the superthreads are far more set in their views against them as opposed to those who are for them being a little less entrenched.

A bit of a no-brainer I would have thought.

JustMac wrote: »
    So, as far as I can see of the people who have replied to this thread there are 19 who are against the 'superthreads' and 4 for are for them. 1 of the 4 who are for them is a mod. (I say, Bring back 'Basq')

It would also seem, having reviewed the thread, that those who are against the superthreads are far more set in their views against them as opposed to those who are for them being a little less entrenched.

A bit of a no-brainer I would have thought.

The people who like the super-threads might just be sticking to their threads though.

The Tesco thread begins with
    Seems most weeks we have a bargain or two from Argos, thought it might be an idea to have a dedicated forum like the one for Tesco

So in post 1 of that super thread the notion of a "dedicated forum" is mooted.
    However the flaw here is that the OP started a dedicated thread and not a dedicated forum (obviously a normal user can't start a forum).

So I think the answer is right there on page one and the OP had the right idea but not the wherewithal to accomplish it.

So a suggestion would be that boards creates a separate sub forum for the likes of Argos, Tesco and Amazon. Perhaps the criteria for one is if a super thread grows large enough that it spans multiple separate threads.

So far the OP has got 117 thanks so I presume that is 117 people in favour of going back to the old way. This thread looks to have run its course with, what seems to me (Biased, I know), most people wanting to revert to single threads.

Is there any way of setting up a sticky poll so that we could let people decide which they prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I think the smaller bargains should be posted in the Amazon thread, such as things like groceries.

But for the big bargains they should have their own separate thread.

Look at the Air Fryer thread, do you guys really want to have all that discussion spamming the Amazon thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

I said I'd read this super-thread first and then head off to get the fluffy slippers. Guess what ? Sold feckin out ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Superthreads are bad. The "Bargain Alerts" forum landing-page should be the deepest level one should go so you can see at a glance what products are on sale.

Clicking into the particular thread brings up comments on that product alone, and not other products as you would in the superthreads.

It's time-wasting to force people to click into random superthreads on the off-chance something might interest them. I'm a regular on Bargain Alerts for several years now and haven't paid attention to the superthreads at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I much preferred the individual threads for bargains and also liked the fact that these threads almost always contained opinions and advice re the said bargains.
    use to enjoy scanning all the latest bargain thread titles and then deciding which one to open first.
    These super threads are like reading a book.

• Advertisement

Where "Bargain Alert" superthreads *do* work are in forums like Xbox for the "Deals With Gold" superthread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056144176&page=186) where the parent forum isn't particularly about bargain alerts.

Superthreads in Bargain Alerts is essentially bargain alerts for bargain alerts?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Superthreads in Bargain Alerts is essentially bargain alerts for bargain alerts?

So true! :D

Doge wrote: »
    I think the smaller bargains should be posted in the Amazon thread, such as things like groceries.

But for the big bargains they should have their own separate thread.

Look at the Air Fryer thread, do you guys really want to have all that discussion spamming the Amazon thread?
    One thing I absolutely hate is when the mods seperate chat from the actual bargins.
    As above, I like to get people's opinions on the product, and that's just a pain to do when they're separate threads.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

WTF? Everyone wants seperate threads yet no one is listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen plenty I have missed in "superthreads" that I would have otherwise noticed.

If there was some way to even see the top 10 most thanked posts in BA that day or week it would be good (maybe there is).

People moan about cross or double posting, but if some post with a good bargain gets a rake of thanks it could be alerted to a mod to create a specific thread, even if it was a locked thread pointing to the post in the superthread, In fact it may be better to be locked so all discussion is in the original, though there might be some clutter to wade through.

It is similar to groupon, pigs back etc. I still get all the emails but rarely read them properly but I know I missed out on some I should have got. Its just endless ads for beauty treatments etc. I think some site does filter them for you and gather them from many of the groupon type sites.

It's pretty simple. Bargain Alerts should match HotUKDeals in format (i.e. all deals visible on the landing page)

The "minor" deals like groceries will get less comments and so will naturally fade as they are relegated to sub-pages.

I've just put up a poll in a new thread. Perhaps if the voting is against superthreads then we could revert back to single therads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Superthreads suck ass.

Fcuk superthreads in the face!

• Advertisement

JustMac wrote: »
    I've just put up a poll in a new thread. Perhaps if the voting is against superthreads then we could revert back to single therads.

and the link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565487

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement