Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clumping Bargains Together into Big Threads?

• 12-02-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others

Each bargain should have its own thread like the way it always was, that way the cream rises to the top and you can see whats good at a glance, burying them within threads where fluffy slippers are given the same exposure as free money from Amazon just makes it a pain in the ass to find anything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But OPs decided that's the way it should be - and point to it and shout 'bargain'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Where are the fluffy slippers on sale and how good a deal is it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others

Each bargain should have its own thread like the way it always was, that way the cream rises to the top and you can see whats good at a glance, burying them within threads where fluffy slippers are given the same exposure as free money from Amazon just makes it a pain in the ass to find anything.

that voucher offer has had it's own thread before, it's an ongoing thing I think (though you can only take advantage of it once).

I suppose it's up to the poster to decide if something warrants it's own thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others.

It could go the other way, though. Let's say a separate thread was used for every little bargain - every little phone cover, mop, pack of batteries, pack of nappies, slab of beer, crisps, cheap SSD, every cheap flight etc. had their own thread. If the bargain you were interested in was pushed to page 4 (and you missed it because of that), you'll get people complaining about all the stupid "one post" bargains cluttering the forum.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

But the gift card bargain has its own thread which you missed but you seen it in the Amazon thread,kind of contradicts your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

NATLOR wrote: »
    But the gift card bargain has its own thread which you missed but you seen it in the Amazon thread,kind of contradicts your post

maybe he can find some ointment in that thread for that BURN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I already got it and the 50 for 40 one I was just using that as an example, the forum will be completely different if people are supposed to check Argos, Halfords, Tesco and Amazon and others threads every day on the off chance they miss something, before all you had to do was check page 1 and 2 of this board, it's a step backwards imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Should we have one single thread altogether and do away with the forum?

Agree with OP. Seems like some posters want to create their own legacy by creating a thread that has a few hundred posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I think for the fairly regular bargains that come from the likes of tesco and argos then a super thread is probably the way to go - these bargains are often store specific or low stock.

For irregular or "big ticket" bargains separate threads are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

ablelocks wrote: »
    I think for the fairly regular bargains that come from the likes of tesco and argos then a super thread is probably the way to go - these bargains are often store specific or low stock.

For irregular or "big ticket" bargains separate threads are better.

Great bargains deserve their own thread. Thought pg 1 or 2 was usually good enough in the past.

'Not so extraordinary' bargains for those mass threads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I've been feeling the very same about those threads for a while now it's annoying to have to search through the super threads for a bargain
    The real problem is that it's not just bargains quite often there could be a page of chat in the thread and no bargains

Where as if the bargain has its own thread it's easy to see the actual bargain and then chat is acceptable below it.

Also I'm a bit sceptical about the recent number 26 and revoult threads these are nearly always at the top but not really a bargain at all anymore and have just turned into a question thread

I agree it should go back to the old way a bargain a thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest I've never really had to look up to page 2 to find new bargains, even before things were 'changed'. I think every individuals perception of what's a bargain could mean there'd be loads of bargain threads and also ok deals threads which tend to outweigh the genuine bargains, but again people would argue that and thus lies the problem of every bargain having a thread. I personally don't think it's a problem to have Amazon and Tesco having their own threads for stuff because what happens in those threads is loads of questions etc get asked and instead of those being in their own threads a load of these individual threads would be full of them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Might I suggest if there are going to be big threads for the likes of Amazon, that they are weekly threads.

'Amazon 14/02/16 etc.' Easier to search, bargains that are probably still going, and threads can be locked a week after the new thread is created(allows for people to receive and critique goods).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Or just a thread per bargain. It's a forum not your wardrobe - you don't need everything cleaned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thanks op I just bought 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Completely agree. One bargain, 1 thread. Multi-Page threads make it too easy for the best bargains to slip by. Telling people to but the 'best bargains' into their own thread even if it relates to an existing multi-page retailer can't work as it is subjective as to what is a 'best bargain'.

The multi-page threads is the main reason that HotUKDeals has become my go-to place to check for bargains. The whole idea of the very best bargains being at the top and easy to view/scroll makes it so much easier to browse quickly. I doubt that it is possible to incorporate something similar here but returning to single thread for each bargain is easily do-able.

Would mods be able to put this to a poll of users here? (Democracy and all that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Totally agree with the OP on this, I was thinking it the other day. I don't bother looking at these threads.

Whatever about missing bargains the principle of the thing just doesn't make any sense. For the most part the retailer is irrelevant so if there is some bargain fluffy slippers available why does it matter if they're on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Has anyone a code to use when buying this online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Has anyone a code to use when buying this online?

It's on page 9 of the Amazon thread and page 16 of the Argos thread.

I agree with the OP. I drop in and check the last few pages of the forum for bargains or if I haven't checked in a while maybe back a couple of days, I can usually tell by the title if I'm interested, unlike the super threads where a bargain I might be interested in can be lost if a better bargain that I don't care about is posted. Whenever I check a super thread I rarely find the bargains just loads of discussion and since I mostly check on phone or tablet search is next to useless.

If the super threads are to be kept then there should be zero discussion allowed, the only posts should be bargains or if it's not a link to the better bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

NATLOR wrote: »

Yep. And it would have been swept further from the front page faster if every single supposed BA got it's own thread.

Tbh though I don't mind if op gets his way or not, I just don't see the issue personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

And then in some cases you have to go into the "Chat" thread to discuss it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

this thread is getting a bit too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is this not more suited in the feedback section?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

How about the big thread names get their own sub forums and then every small individual bargain can have its own thread in said forum.
    So we can have a tesco forum. Amazon forum. Argos forum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

How about the big thread names get their own sub forums and then every small individual bargain can have its own thread in said forum.
    So we can have a tesco forum. Amazon forum. Argos forum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I agree with the OP.
    Hate superthreads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Agree with OP.

To me super threads makes it harder to find/catch good bargains these days.
    Don't frequent myself as often as I used due to this to be honest.

Sub forums for larger threads would sound like a very good solution all right. So amazon, Tesco, Argos etc sub forums. And the single item posts within those.

Would make it far easier to follow on daily or infrequent visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

agree, too hard to find stuff, superthread is messy and time consuming,

makes it easier for businesses to ramp up sales on one thread ;)
    i hope ye arent catering to the business needs instead of the endusers need. ;)
    but if you are, its your site, you can do what you want with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How hard is it to go to the end of a super thread? Personally I think superthreads are better, less clutter on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Never been a fan of these mega threads for Argos & Tesco & would far prefer to see bargains posted individually & the good stuff will invariably rise to the top /garner the most attention. I think BA's was a more vital forum when it operated in such a manner.

Also, bring back Basq!! :P

athtrasna wrote: »
    How hard is it to go to the end of a super thread? Personally I think superthreads are better, less clutter on the forum.

Yes, but the problem is that a super thread is endless. A fantastic bargain on the last page can all too quickly become last page -1, then in no time buried too deep to find.

Unless you're one of those impulsive bargain hunters that visit every couple of minutes of every day, this can quickly become next to useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yes, but the problem is that a super thread is endless. A fantastic bargain on the last page can all too quickly become last page -1, then in no time buried too deep to find.

Unless you're one of those impulsive bargain hunters that visit every couple of minutes of every day, this can quickly become next to useless.

The other argument is that ba regulars check those threads so don't have to start at the beginning, you see from the first new post. That gives ba regulars an advantage. If every bargain was a new thread you'd get a whole load of others snapping up the bargains first, with many invariably ending up on Adverts.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The other argument is that ba regulars check those threads so don't have to start at the beginning, you see from the first new post. That gives ba regulars an advantage. If every bargain was a new thread you'd get a whole load of others snapping up the bargains first, with many invariably ending up on Adverts.

I'd imagine those adverts sellers are regulars here anyhow, even more so then genuine buyers. So I personally don't buy into that train of thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I guess to get a balance if there's a super bargain, it needs to go in an individual thread. For not so super bargains post it in super threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Big super threads are a horrible idea IMO..

.. I've never been a fan!

The whole point of a Bargain Alerts forum is that you can scan the front page and see bargains, instead of having to open 5 or 6 and scan the last few posts.

Just my 2c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The superthreads are a pain. People talk about clutter but the superthreads are like tidying up by throwing everything, in a pile, in the cupboard.

I would much rather have them individually listed even if I have to check a couple of pages. It's easy to scan through a list.

How do you decide if a bargain is good enough to deserve it's own thread ? We are all individuals & want to buy different things. There could be the perfect bargain now in the Tesco, Argos or Amazon threads if you can be arsed to read through pages of items & discussion that have no interest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

The ideal way would be for everything to have it's own thread and then the tag of the retailer. That way you could click in the retailer tag if you wanted only bargains from them.
    Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah, they're too easy to miss the bargains.

It's bargains alerts, not bargains threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on the OP, I rarely if ever go into Argos/Tesco superthreads, theyre just too cluttered with chat and bargains I've no interest in. Better to just have a list view imo, its not hard to click back a few pages and scan 100 thread titles in a couple of minutes to see if theres anything you're interested in

Perhaps the best way to demonstrate against super threads is to start posting individual bargain alert threads for single bargains.

The more this is done the further the super threads will be buried.

Then it's RIP SUPER THREADS!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Mr E wrote: »
    It could go the other way, though. Let's say a separate thread was used for every little bargain - every little phone cover, mop, pack of batteries, pack of nappies, slab of beer, crisps, cheap SSD, every cheap flight etc. had their own thread. If the bargain you were interested in was pushed to page 4 (and you missed it because of that), you'll get people complaining about all the stupid "one post" bargains cluttering the forum.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The first 2 pages of the forum covers 3 days at present. Wouldn't be pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

I agree, these monster threads are so messy that I don't even go near them any more..

Probably yes, I'm missing out on some bargains, but at least I won't get 25 email notifications a day, each for 5 pages of irrelevant conversation. :D

So, as far as I can see of the people who have replied to this thread there are 19 who are against the 'superthreads' and 4 for are for them. 1 of the 4 who are for them is a mod. (I say, Bring back 'Basq')

It would also seem, having reviewed the thread, that those who are against the superthreads are far more set in their views against them as opposed to those who are for them being a little less entrenched.

A bit of a no-brainer I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭Nollog

JustMac wrote: »
    So, as far as I can see of the people who have replied to this thread there are 19 who are against the 'superthreads' and 4 for are for them. 1 of the 4 who are for them is a mod. (I say, Bring back 'Basq')

It would also seem, having reviewed the thread, that those who are against the superthreads are far more set in their views against them as opposed to those who are for them being a little less entrenched.

A bit of a no-brainer I would have thought.

The people who like the super-threads might just be sticking to their threads though.

The Tesco thread begins with
    Seems most weeks we have a bargain or two from Argos, thought it might be an idea to have a dedicated forum like the one for Tesco

So in post 1 of that super thread the notion of a "dedicated forum" is mooted.
    However the flaw here is that the OP started a dedicated thread and not a dedicated forum (obviously a normal user can't start a forum).

So I think the answer is right there on page one and the OP had the right idea but not the wherewithal to accomplish it.

So a suggestion would be that boards creates a separate sub forum for the likes of Argos, Tesco and Amazon. Perhaps the criteria for one is if a super thread grows large enough that it spans multiple separate threads.

So far the OP has got 117 thanks so I presume that is 117 people in favour of going back to the old way. This thread looks to have run its course with, what seems to me (Biased, I know), most people wanting to revert to single threads.

Is there any way of setting up a sticky poll so that we could let people decide which they prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

I think the smaller bargains should be posted in the Amazon thread, such as things like groceries.

But for the big bargains they should have their own separate thread.

Look at the Air Fryer thread, do you guys really want to have all that discussion spamming the Amazon thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I said I'd read this super-thread first and then head off to get the fluffy slippers. Guess what ? Sold feckin out ! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Superthreads are bad. The "Bargain Alerts" forum landing-page should be the deepest level one should go so you can see at a glance what products are on sale.

Clicking into the particular thread brings up comments on that product alone, and not other products as you would in the superthreads.

It's time-wasting to force people to click into random superthreads on the off-chance something might interest them. I'm a regular on Bargain Alerts for several years now and haven't paid attention to the superthreads at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Berberis

I much preferred the individual threads for bargains and also liked the fact that these threads almost always contained opinions and advice re the said bargains.
    use to enjoy scanning all the latest bargain thread titles and then deciding which one to open first.
    These super threads are like reading a book.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement