Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want Superthreads on Boards?

Options
  • 25-02-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

There has been a discussion about superthreads for things like Tesco, Argos, Amazon, AliExpress, Tesco etc. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057560229)

There are many different opinions on whether these are good for Bargain Alerts. On one hand they appear to keep the forum tidier but on the other hand many people mention missing bargains as a result of having to click through to another thread after arriving on the main forum.

Should bargain alerts have these superthreads or return to a single thread per bargain?

Should we have superthreads on BA? 23 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There's already a super thread discussing the same here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057560229/5/#post98848157

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

GBX wrote: »
    There's already a super thread discussing the same here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057560229/5/#post98848157

Yes, The one I linked to in my original post? Lol

That is a discussion thread. This is a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Just post the bargains. None of this discussion / poll shite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The bigger threads should stay but larger bargains should get a thread of their own. So pretty much what happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I agree with a superthread for Lidl/Aldi/Supervalu/etc. weekly/weekend offers, stated clearly in bold font what supermarket the offer relates to and the dates applicable. These are all food items and many people live close to multiple supermarkets. If a regular wanted to update the OP for the deals that would work exquisitely well.

Tesco one seems to go fine on it's own, they're not really offers like those in the above supermarkets where they run for a certain date range often people just post up various discounts on electrical items etc. which is fine.

Everything else, if it is a bargain, should have it's own thread. Grouping supermarkets prevents clogging the first page which should give a snapshot of actual bargains. Everything else should have it's own thread because 1) you can easily see bargains posted and 2) they can be discussed if you're interested and you don't have to wade through pages and pages of unrelated nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Another thread wasting more space. This forum worked best in my opinion when there were no superthreads. Now half the forum is either taken up by threads discussing whether there should be superthreads and by superthreads. HUKD is a far better place to look for bargains than here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Assuming a No vote wins (and most likely will, thankfully), when are we likely to see a change?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I voted no as the more superthreads that appear, the less usable I find the forum. What point is a superthread on the likes of amazon or aliexpress that sell such wide ranges of goods? If there is going to be superthreads lets have them on type of good rather than who the seller is.
    A superthread for toys, one for make-up, one for smartboxes, etc would at least make sense. But as it is now if I'm looking for a good deal on toys and someone posts a deal on the Amazon thread it could quickly get buried because there is also a good deal on headphones and lots of posters discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Perhaps force the entry of a Prefix for this forum?

So then you know if the category is "Kids", "Travel" etc, and can then use the prefix to filter according to what you are interested in.

In fact, perhaps you could have a prefix like "Amazon:", "Lidl:", then can choose to either show all bargains or only show the Lidl ones

Another thread wasting more space. This forum worked best in my opinion when there were no superthreads. Now half the forum is either taken up by threads discussing whether there should be superthreads and by superthreads. HUKD is a far better place to look for bargains than here now.

There are 2 threads on Superthreads. 1 is a discussion. 1 is a poll.
    Both are with the intention of getting rid of superthreads which you appear to be in agreement with.

I would hardly call it taking up half the forum. Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I found that I have missed out on bargains due to a bargain being posted within a 'superthread'. Sometimes just out of pure laziness I wont look through a big long thread because the 'Super Threads' sometimes turn into chat/questions which is awful when looking for actual bargain posts.

Every bargain should have its own post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I think that there should be a whinger's thread ,for all the people that come into this section of the forum to wine and give out because that's all they want to do. If you don't like a thread ...then stay the fu€k out of it.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think that there should be a wingers thread ,for all the people that come into this section of the forum to wine and give out because that's all they want to do. If you don't like a thread ...then stay the fu€k out of it.

Simples.

what has football players got to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Skerries wrote: »
    what has football players got to do with this?

Fixed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can't find the BUY button, I only want one of them before they are sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Superthreads make sense for retailers that don't have a good online presence or who regularly run specials or manager discounts that don't appear online.

If you look at the Tesco thread, there are totally random bargains all the time. Splitting each of those into its own thread would mean 10 threads a day for Tesco, dunnes etc. That's no help to anyone.

It makes no sense for something like amazon where their deals are all online and there are excellent avenues for discovering them already.

The real killer in this forum is threads popping back up to the top months or years after they've gone, because people are discussing what they think of a product, asking if their Nanny would find it suitable, asking stupid questions about the retailer's customer service policies, talking about their cat...

Navigating the forum isn't a pain because of regularly updated Superthreads hogging the front page, it's because of zombie threads going on for months full of idiots who can't be bothered thinking for themselves.

If I see another mouth breather on an argos thread asking if argos honour day old reservation emails I'll kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

JustMac wrote: »
    There are 2 threads on Superthreads. 1 is a discussion. 1 is a poll.
    Both are with the intention of getting rid of superthreads which you appear to be in agreement with.

I would hardly call it taking up half the forum. Get a life.
    There was no need for your poll thread as its clear from the other thread that people want to get rid of the superthreads. It's just doubling up and is now a second discussion about the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Amazon Bargain Alerts thread clogging up page 1 is pretty light on actual bona fide bargains if you scan through it.

It's more of a 'random things available for purchase on Amazon' thread.

jive wrote: »
    I agree with a superthread for Lidl/Aldi/Supervalu/etc. weekly/weekend offers, stated clearly in bold font what supermarket the offer relates to and the dates applicable. These are all food items and many people live close to multiple supermarkets. If a regular wanted to update the OP for the deals that would work exquisitely well.

Tesco one seems to go fine on it's own, they're not really offers like those in the above supermarkets where they run for a certain date range often people just post up various discounts on electrical items etc. which is fine.

Everything else, if it is a bargain, should have it's own thread. Grouping supermarkets prevents clogging the first page which should give a snapshot of actual bargains. Everything else should have it's own thread because 1) you can easily see bargains posted and 2) they can be discussed if you're interested and you don't have to wade through pages and pages of unrelated nonsense.

I agree with this. Superthreads for the supermarkets but nothing else*. (*There be some similar items that might be suitable but only supermarkets makes sense at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It'd be better to just expire threads after a week, maybe two, and anyone posting in it after the expiry should be banned

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

jive wrote: »

Agree. I think this is the easiest and most straight forward way of doing this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

There is a feedback forum for a reason; locked until local Mods decide what to do with it inc. any sanctions.

//MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement