Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clumping Bargains Together into Big Threads?

Options
  • 12-02-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others

Each bargain should have its own thread like the way it always was, that way the cream rises to the top and you can see whats good at a glance, burying them within threads where fluffy slippers are given the same exposure as free money from Amazon just makes it a pain in the ass to find anything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But OPs decided that's the way it should be - and point to it and shout 'bargain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Where are the fluffy slippers on sale and how good a deal is it !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others

Each bargain should have its own thread like the way it always was, that way the cream rises to the top and you can see whats good at a glance, burying them within threads where fluffy slippers are given the same exposure as free money from Amazon just makes it a pain in the ass to find anything.

that voucher offer has had it's own thread before, it's an ongoing thing I think (though you can only take advantage of it once).

I suppose it's up to the poster to decide if something warrants it's own thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is a bad idea imo, for example the Amazon thread, a bargain has just been posted that lets you buy a £30 gift voucher and get £7 free credit, thats a great bargain and would have been a popular multi-page thread before this fad of clumping things together came along. Now it just gets buried under posts about cheap fluffy slippers and generic powerbanks. Same thing is happening in the Tesco threads and others.

It could go the other way, though. Let's say a separate thread was used for every little bargain - every little phone cover, mop, pack of batteries, pack of nappies, slab of beer, crisps, cheap SSD, every cheap flight etc. had their own thread. If the bargain you were interested in was pushed to page 4 (and you missed it because of that), you'll get people complaining about all the stupid "one post" bargains cluttering the forum.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

But the gift card bargain has its own thread which you missed but you seen it in the Amazon thread,kind of contradicts your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

NATLOR wrote: »
    But the gift card bargain has its own thread which you missed but you seen it in the Amazon thread,kind of contradicts your post

maybe he can find some ointment in that thread for that BURN!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I already got it and the 50 for 40 one I was just using that as an example, the forum will be completely different if people are supposed to check Argos, Halfords, Tesco and Amazon and others threads every day on the off chance they miss something, before all you had to do was check page 1 and 2 of this board, it's a step backwards imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Should we have one single thread altogether and do away with the forum?

Agree with OP. Seems like some posters want to create their own legacy by creating a thread that has a few hundred posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I think for the fairly regular bargains that come from the likes of tesco and argos then a super thread is probably the way to go - these bargains are often store specific or low stock.

For irregular or "big ticket" bargains separate threads are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

ablelocks wrote: »
    I think for the fairly regular bargains that come from the likes of tesco and argos then a super thread is probably the way to go - these bargains are often store specific or low stock.

For irregular or "big ticket" bargains separate threads are better.

Great bargains deserve their own thread. Thought pg 1 or 2 was usually good enough in the past.

'Not so extraordinary' bargains for those mass threads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I've been feeling the very same about those threads for a while now it's annoying to have to search through the super threads for a bargain
    The real problem is that it's not just bargains quite often there could be a page of chat in the thread and no bargains

Where as if the bargain has its own thread it's easy to see the actual bargain and then chat is acceptable below it.

Also I'm a bit sceptical about the recent number 26 and revoult threads these are nearly always at the top but not really a bargain at all anymore and have just turned into a question thread

I agree it should go back to the old way a bargain a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest I've never really had to look up to page 2 to find new bargains, even before things were 'changed'. I think every individuals perception of what's a bargain could mean there'd be loads of bargain threads and also ok deals threads which tend to outweigh the genuine bargains, but again people would argue that and thus lies the problem of every bargain having a thread. I personally don't think it's a problem to have Amazon and Tesco having their own threads for stuff because what happens in those threads is loads of questions etc get asked and instead of those being in their own threads a load of these individual threads would be full of them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Might I suggest if there are going to be big threads for the likes of Amazon, that they are weekly threads.

'Amazon 14/02/16 etc.' Easier to search, bargains that are probably still going, and threads can be locked a week after the new thread is created(allows for people to receive and critique goods).

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Or just a thread per bargain. It's a forum not your wardrobe - you don't need everything cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thanks op I just bought 10

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Completely agree. One bargain, 1 thread. Multi-Page threads make it too easy for the best bargains to slip by. Telling people to but the 'best bargains' into their own thread even if it relates to an existing multi-page retailer can't work as it is subjective as to what is a 'best bargain'.

The multi-page threads is the main reason that HotUKDeals has become my go-to place to check for bargains. The whole idea of the very best bargains being at the top and easy to view/scroll makes it so much easier to browse quickly. I doubt that it is possible to incorporate something similar here but returning to single thread for each bargain is easily do-able.

Would mods be able to put this to a poll of users here? (Democracy and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Totally agree with the OP on this, I was thinking it the other day. I don't bother looking at these threads.

Whatever about missing bargains the principle of the thing just doesn't make any sense. For the most part the retailer is irrelevant so if there is some bargain fluffy slippers available why does it matter if they're on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Has anyone a code to use when buying this online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Has anyone a code to use when buying this online?

It's on page 9 of the Amazon thread and page 16 of the Argos thread.

I agree with the OP. I drop in and check the last few pages of the forum for bargains or if I haven't checked in a while maybe back a couple of days, I can usually tell by the title if I'm interested, unlike the super threads where a bargain I might be interested in can be lost if a better bargain that I don't care about is posted. Whenever I check a super thread I rarely find the bargains just loads of discussion and since I mostly check on phone or tablet search is next to useless.

If the super threads are to be kept then there should be zero discussion allowed, the only posts should be bargains or if it's not a link to the better bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

NATLOR wrote: »

Yep. And it would have been swept further from the front page faster if every single supposed BA got it's own thread.

Tbh though I don't mind if op gets his way or not, I just don't see the issue personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

And then in some cases you have to go into the "Chat" thread to discuss it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

this thread is getting a bit too long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is this not more suited in the feedback section?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

How about the big thread names get their own sub forums and then every small individual bargain can have its own thread in said forum.
    So we can have a tesco forum. Amazon forum. Argos forum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

How about the big thread names get their own sub forums and then every small individual bargain can have its own thread in said forum.
    So we can have a tesco forum. Amazon forum. Argos forum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I agree with the OP.
    Hate superthreads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Agree with OP.

To me super threads makes it harder to find/catch good bargains these days.
    Don't frequent myself as often as I used due to this to be honest.

Sub forums for larger threads would sound like a very good solution all right. So amazon, Tesco, Argos etc sub forums. And the single item posts within those.

Would make it far easier to follow on daily or infrequent visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

agree, too hard to find stuff, superthread is messy and time consuming,

makes it easier for businesses to ramp up sales on one thread ;)
    i hope ye arent catering to the business needs instead of the endusers need. ;)
    but if you are, its your site, you can do what you want with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How hard is it to go to the end of a super thread? Personally I think superthreads are better, less clutter on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Never been a fan of these mega threads for Argos & Tesco & would far prefer to see bargains posted individually & the good stuff will invariably rise to the top /garner the most attention. I think BA's was a more vital forum when it operated in such a manner.

Also, bring back Basq!! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement