Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really like Buckley but obviously Feek/Easterby/Schmidt see him as being quite far down the pecking order.

I've been bitten before on Connacht props after seeing how Jamie Hagan turned out, so I'll remain bearish on him until we see him given a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Its such a strange thing. Most folks would agree that its an absolutely shocking Irish team. Over the years we have lost players but the only players in the pack I consider quality are Rory best, devin toner and cj stander.

And then you get the insistence on henshaw and Payne to the extent that zebo is put at full back and he is shocking

Yes our pack is very weak. Yes our fullback is very weak. Yes conor is a great passer but he just passes possession away with his boxkicks.

At some point Joe has to stop this dependency on the usual. There is better. How many times does it need to be proven.

I think you'll find that's not true. Most may disagree with a few selections (I'm one), not that it's an "absolutely shocking Irish team".

Some posters will have a big slice of humble pie to eat tomorrow if Ireland win. Let's hope that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

aimee1 wrote: »
    This would be McGrath with two 6n winners medals.
    That's the guy.

I think you'll find that's not true. Most may disagree with a few selections (I'm one), not that it's an "absolutely shocking Irish team".

Some posters will have a big slice of humble pie to eat tomorrow if Ireland win. Let's hope that's the case.

I was just thinking about this.

I wonder what would happen to the Championship odds if we won convincingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

That's the guy.

great comeback. a well thought out response :cool:

• Advertisement

Ain't that the truth :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was just thinking about this.

I wonder what would happen to the Championship odds if we won convincingly

I think tomorrow's winner might possibly come the favourite. However, England have both Wales and Ireland at home and their record against France is excellent.

aimee1 wrote: »
    great comeback. a well thought out response :cool:
    Didn't want to go all out on response :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Just watched a re-run of 2013 massacre of England ......

Warburton, Faletau and especially Tipuric awesome that day.

Let's hope it's a good match and ........

....... good luck ladies & gents ..................... for next week.

My objection is simple. Buckley is far and above anybody else in his position. Kilcoyne next. McGrath third. Its just an opinion but it gets to play out tomorrow. Its not a Munster thing, its not a Leinster thing, its not an ulster thing. Its just shocking. At least Connacht and ulster will win games while Joe provides the mundane

• Advertisement

My objection is simple. Buckley is far and above anybody else in his position. Kilcoyne next. McGrath third. Its just an opinion but it gets to play out tomorrow. Its not a Munster thing, its not a Leinster thing, its not an ulster thing. Its just shocking. At least Connacht and ulster will win games while Joe provides the mundane

Joe isn't the only coach who has rated Buckley over McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I have a bad feeling about this one. McCarthy, White, TOD and Zebo are my biggest worries. Still can't help be thinking of anything but a win against Wales

Joe isn't the only coach who has rated Buckley over McGrath
    ???? Buckley is not rated over mcgrath????. I assume u meant Joe is the only coach who HASN'T rated Buckley over mcgrath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Think we will be slaughtered tomorrow. That team just doesn't look right to me. My biggest worries are at 9 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

LorMal wrote: »
    Think we will be slaughtered tomorrow. That team just doesn't look right to me. My biggest worries are at 9 and 10.

Hang on we're at 3rd choice at TH, 3rd choice at lock, 3rd choice at open side and a poor 2nd choice FB and you're worried about our first choice 9 & 10?

I want Ireland to win for obvious reasons. However I now also want Ireland to win to shut up ridiculous, alarmist, reactionary posts like this. Slaughtered? Seriously?

I think Wales will win it by single digits but we'll run them very close. We will not be slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hang on we're at 3rd choice at TH, 3rd choice at lock, 3rd choice at open side and a poor 2nd choice FB and you're worried about our first choice 9 & 10?

I want Ireland to win for obvious reasons. However I now also want Ireland to win to shut up ridiculous, alarmist, reactionary posts like this. Slaughtered? Seriously?

I think Wales will win it by single digits but we'll run them very close. We will not be slaughtered.

Ah Jaysus Molloy, you're back to ill using 'reactionary' again! After me teaching you and everything.
    Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

9 and 10 are biggest worries for me. If they don't perform we have little advantage elsewhere.

molloyjh wrote: »
    you're worried about our first choice 9 & 10?
    So to compound the issue is two players I wouldn't start for Connacht. And god knows we have problems in these areas. Murray is so far out there he is on his own. Sexton gives as much direction as a flag flapping all over the place. I don't say many positive things but even marmion can break a gain line without this murray absolute bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So to compound the issue is two players I wouldn't start for Connacht. And god knows we have problems in these areas. Murray is so far out there he is on his own. Sexton gives as much direction as a flag flapping all over the place. I don't say many positive things but even marmion can break a gain line without this murray absolute bollox.

It took me a while to figure out where I recognized your irational ramblings from, the new user name is so far from the original one. That though is genius even for you, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

With so many big players missing, this game will be tough. I can see three main challenges for Ireland.

No. 7; TOD is going to play as well as he can with at least good performances from the rest of the back row.

FB; Wales keep the ball in play from their relieving kicks, or at least they do with Halfpenny playing. If they continue with this Zebo will have a long day running back and sideways collecting high balls. The re-assurance of Kearneys positional play against the inexperienced (and potentially vulnerable) Anscombe would be greatly appreciated.

Centre; J Davies is a class act at 13 and has caused us endless pain in the past. If we allow him to get the ball in space or gather offloads from Roberts we could struggle.

The positives to combat those though are that Wales also have a much weaker FB than they would like and their wingers wouldn't be renowned for catch-and-kick rugby (afaik anyway). Henshaw and Payne are a solid defensive option in midfield and Davies has been playing in a misfiring Clermont team since returning from a long injury, has he found form yet?

The breakdown is the area we could struggle in the most with Warburton and Faletau being strong in this area. Best, McGrath and Stander will need to have strong games defensively at the ruck and try to win some turnovers or at least slow down their ball. TOD and Tipuric will likely be found a little bit wider imo and do more carrying for both teams in attack.

Set piece is interesting as both teams will see this as a potential area to capitalise on and neither will worry too much about the other team. I envisage turnovers for each team at scrum and lineout.

Come on Ireland!

• Advertisement

I'm terribly sorry. I don't want us to lose. I just want us to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

If we've to worry about 9 and 10 then the wooden spoon is on the cards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

PP have George North and Keith Earls to both score at try at 20-1. I'll take that! Just need the weather forecast to be inaccurate in order to cash in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

andymx11 wrote: »
    PP have George North and Keith Earls to both score at try at 20-1. I'll take that! Just need the weather forecast to be inaccurate in order to cash in!

Keith Earls has 4 tries in 6 games v Wales which is pretty good considering Tommy Bowe has only 2 in 7 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I agree with Pickarney

You can have yourself a "thanks" for that venjur. Very witty. Post envy if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

jm08 wrote: »
    Keith Earls has 4 tries in 6 games v Wales which is pretty good considering Tommy Bowe has only 2 in 7 games.

Random statistical noise.
    No conclusion can be drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Random statistical noise.
    No conclusion can be drawn.

how about George North has scored one try v Ireland in his 6 games? I'd conclude that Earls is more likely to score against Wales than North is against Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

how about George North has scored one try v Ireland in his 6 games? I'd conclude that Earls is more likely to score against Wales than North is against Ireland.

Are you one of these people who think they can predict the lottery numbers too? A few Earls tries would go down nicely today but I'm not holding my breath. It'll be an interesting barometer of where we're at today. Before the Argentina game we all felt that we could miss a few players and we could replace them without too much of a drop in performance standards. I think it's going to be a tight game, I feel Sexton has a big performance in him up against Biggar as he did last month v Ospreys. All comes down to the pack, and I think I'm more worried about the back row and Wales ground work then the front 5. SOB is a huge loss going up against two 7s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Thats just random. Earls could score a try today, or north could, or they both could. Or neither of them.

North's only try came at the aviva 4 years ago but i dont think earls has scored at the aviva v wales, think wellington, croker and cardiff. So is north more likely to score at the aviva today or is earls?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A back row forward is more likely to score for ireland than a winger, based on how we play in tight games.

Advertisement