Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons vs Leinster TG4 7:05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tox56 wrote:
    Im not really going on about the ref but on the blaming of McFadden, you can say its stupid but so many people do "stupid things" like that throughout games, the biggest difference is that he got caught

He charged into a ruck with his arm by his side, leading with his shoulder into a player's head. It was a brutal effort and you do not see clear outs like that regularly. Deserved yellow and we've seen suspensions for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »
    They're not all "stupid", but they all do stupid things. McFadden was being called a headcase and all sorts of things based on this incident and the previous one, I dont think hes much if any worse than most

Well he's just come back from a suspension for something that was completely unacceptable, and then comes into this game and gets sin binned for something that really should be unacceptable. What's the point in playing him if he can't stay on the field? "Most" certainly don't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Shocking execution in the second half by Leinster. Ref got a few calls wrong that prevented the LBP (there seemed to be several in a row in the lead up to their second last penalty) but you have to feel we should've taken a penalty at 17-13 down with 20 minutes left. We weren't getting anywhere by trying to smash our way over and the way things were going we'd have been back in their territory in no time.

I'm not sure who it was, but whoever decided to tap and go after calling a mark a couple of minutes from full time made a shocking decision. If he'd run straight he could've been away (Dragons player was right in front of him but very much offside, there was no one else around) and by running to the middle of the field only bad things could happen, and they did, costing us the LBP. Our prospects of getting a draw from that position were very slim, and if he'd just booted it far down the pitch I'm sure the Dragons would have been as happy as us to run the clock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Well he's just come back from a suspension for something that was completely unacceptable, and then comes into this game and gets sin binned for something that really should be unacceptable. What's the point in playing him if he can't stay on the field? "Most" certainly don't have that problem.

Hes done two stupid things over two games, but hes been a professional for 9 years, I would say his disciplinary record over his career is broadly in line with most players.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

matthew8 wrote: »
    Shocking execution in the second half by Leinster. Ref got a few calls wrong that prevented the LBP (there seemed to be several in a row in the lead up to their second last penalty) but you have to feel we should've taken a penalty at 17-13 down with 20 minutes left. We weren't getting anywhere by trying to smash our way over and the way things were going we'd have been back in their territory in no time.

I'm not sure who it was, but whoever decided to tap and go after calling a mark a couple of minutes from full time made a shocking decision. If he'd run straight he could've been away (Dragons player was right in front of him but very much offside, there was no one else around) and by running to the middle of the field only bad things could happen, and they did, costing us the LBP. Our prospects of getting a draw from that position were very slim, and if he'd just booted it far down the pitch I'm sure the Dragons would have been as happy as us to run the clock down.

It was Reid who ran from the mark. He seems an accident waiting to happen every time he's on the field. His inability to tackle is amazing. Personally I think he should be put in the Mick McGrath level of 'use in case of emergency'

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Hes done two stupid things over two games, but hes been a professional for 9 years, I would say his disciplinary record over his career is broadly in line with most players.

I'm a big fan of his generally but he needs to sort out this issue he's having

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I'm a big fan of his generally but he needs to sort out this issue he's having

He was poor in contact tonight which is unusual for him. I hope he's not cited for it or anything. He'd be a big loss, especially if madigan is on the bench for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Buer wrote: »
    He charged into a ruck with his arm by his side, leading with his shoulder into a player's head. It was a brutal effort and you do not see clear outs like that regularly. Deserved yellow and we've seen suspensions for those.

Stop exagerating
    Nowhere near head or neck
    Cleared him out with his shoulder yes. But connected with his ribs

sydthebeat wrote: »
    mcfaddens "attepted" clean out was so obviously illegal though... ridiculous to do that on a 9... not warranted at all. and i think he had some afters as well.

Bad execution alright...and on scrum half. With the pen going to Leinster. Come on Ferg!
    No afters. He went looking for the ball

Stop exagerating Nowhere near head or neck Cleared him out with his shoulder yes. But connected with his ribs

I only saw it on a laptop and it looked to be up around the head and shoulder area. No exaggeration. If it wasn't, fair enough but was still an awful attempt and deservedly sent to the bin.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I only saw it on a laptop and it looked to be up around the head and shoulder area. No exaggeration. If it wasn't, fair enough but was still an awful attempt and deservedly sent to the bin.

It wasn't around head or neck. It's important to state that. Thats for BBotha and his like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't think it was around the head or neck either, I think he would have gotten a red if it was, more like lower shoulder blades/ribs area.

He seemed to go back for a bit more with by shoving on the ground too so I dunno what was going on between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

hogandrew wrote: »
    It was Reid who ran from the mark. He seems an accident waiting to happen every time he's on the field. His inability to tackle is amazing. Personally I think he should be put in the Mick McGrath level of 'use in case of emergency'

Have to agree about Reid: just not up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

biggest disappointment this season is poor discipline. Two needless YCs tonight.

Molony has a big future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

that is so unfair. mcfadden is normally the least likely player to do such things. yes both situations were poor calls by fergus but it is definitely not his norm so its unfair to label him as you have

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

How did Ringrose play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    How did Ringrose play?

It was not a night for cultured centre play, it was a night for T'eo. Dragons had 80% possession in the 1st half and the Leinster forwards had 80% possession in the second half. He was pretty anonymous but it was just one of those nights for back row players and he got little. He went to the wing when Reid dandered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How did Adam Byrne go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

.ak wrote: »
    How did Adam Byrne go?

Minimal involvement. Maybe two touches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Hagz wrote: »
    Minimal involvement. Maybe two touches.

One of which was a knock-on with oceans of space in front of him...

Good performances from Kirchner and McFadden, up to the yellow. Scrum was great, lineout good. Just too many errors and poor decisions. Another couple of experienced heads and we'd have won.

• Advertisement

One of which was a knock-on with oceans of space in front of him...

Almost certain the ball was touched in flight following Zane's pass which I think made both the pass and the attempted reception look worse than it was!

But he was extremely quiet, you really want your openside winger to be much much busier than that, especially on a night where we needed people who can carry in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Byrne had one or two super catches fielding long kicks or kick offs. I forgive him the knock on because the pass would have been unsighted, and as IBF says, probably touched

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Thought McGrath was really tidy in horrible conditions.. Would've left him on.. Leavy put in some thunderous hits and Molony looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Almost certain the ball was touched in flight following Zane's pass which I think made both the pass and the attempted reception look worse than it was!

But he was extremely quiet, you really want your openside winger to be much much busier than that, especially on a night where we needed people who can carry in traffic

Thought he was very poor defenceivly all night and he did get substituted. Has all the physical attributes to be a top player but not sure about him mentally, not a night for wingers but a poor enough performance for him. I would love to see him at 12 where he would be busier and not drift in and out of games like he does plus as said he has the physical attributes to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

hype101 wrote: »
    Thought McGrath was really tidy in horrible conditions.. Would've left him on.. Leavy put in some thunderous hits and Molony looks class

Agree completely. McGrath was a right little general too - well suited to the captain's row. Leavy and Molony worked their socks off.

We had the problem we have had for a while - lots of possession in their 22, but just can't get the ball over the line. We just can't seem to execute the score. We should have won that match last night. Let's hope Connacht beat Scarlets today.

Really impressed with McGrath this season, has come on hugely. His passing was slower and more considered last night in atrocious conditions. The only time I'd like to see him be more prominent is during our mauls. We turned over on their 5m line after we were told to use it. He should be calling the shots there.

Took his try well, kicked fairly well, passing was acceptable (which is really good given the conditions). This time next year he could be starting ECC rugby for us.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

On that maul, it started rolling forward again after the "use it" call so I think McGrath was right to allow it truck on....However dragons tied it well and we didn't get it back in time...Even if mcgrath had the ball in his hands when the whistle wss blown

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I noticed McGrath at one point shouting at the ref (I think) and slapping his knees like he was doing the haka :D That's what you want from your captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I noticed McGrath at one point shouting at the ref (I think) and slapping his knees like he was doing the haka :D That's what you want from your captain.

Actually not too sure about that. Acting like that can piss some refs off and make them less likely to listen to you when you've a proper grievance. I always think the captains who are calmer and go up to the ref to have a chat in breaks in play fare better.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Actually not too sure about that. Acting like that can piss some refs off and make them less likely to listen to you when you've a proper grievance. I always think the captains who are calmer and go up to the ref to have a chat in breaks in play fare better.

All captains react differently in different situations. You can't categorise Luke McGrath or anyone else based on one incident.

Robshaw was an awful captain in my opinion and falls exactly into the mold you described.

Advertisement