Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show - 23rd. January 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Here's a link to a better interview with Dean Strang for those that were disappointed with the one tonight.

http://madisonstoryslam.podbean.com/e/the-long-slam-dean-strang/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do we know if Brendan O Connor wanted to finish up or was he sacked or what? If he was unhappy you'd think he'd write about it...

Wonder what he thinks watching this sh1tfest every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Jaysus,surely someone in RTE must go 'Ah Ray this is ****e'.

No. Ray is a "personality" and in RTE that means he knows better than you and can talk down to you. In reality he has as much personality as a can of magnolia paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do we know if Brendan O Connor wanted to finish up or was he sacked or what? If he was unhappy you'd think he'd write about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Thargor wrote: »

If he's honest, "I was worse than this"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thargor wrote: »

His Saturday night show was taken off air to make way for D'Arcy's Saturday night show, so it definitely was not his decision.

He's still very much with RTE though, has a new midweek show coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm going to have nightmares after looking at yer woman. Is that me in a few years, jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

"It was your job to poke holes in the evidence, but it didn't work, did it?" Jaysus, he really is Buzzkill D'Arcy.

He has no emotional intelligence either. There was an emotional moment where Strang was saying "I fear he is innocent" and D'Arcy is like "Ah right, yeah", basically not giving a s***.

The bit at the end where D'Arcy kept pushing about whether Avery is innocent and eventually Strang just said "That's the best I can do for ya, I wasn't there" was really embarrassing.

I hope Strang didn't fly all the over just for that, because any person who watched the documentary could have answered D'Arcy's questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Didn't watch the show but it's a bad state of affairs when I overhear my Mum remark "He's not a good interviewer"!

"It was your job to poke holes in the evidence, but it didn't work, did it?" Jaysus, he really is Buzzkill D'Arcy.

He has no emotional intelligence either. There was an emotional moment where Strang was saying "I fear he is innocent" and D'Arcy is like "Ah right, yeah", basically not giving a s***.

The bit at the end where D'Arcy kept pushing about whether Avery is interesting and eventually Strang just said "That's the best I can do for ya, I wasn't there" was really embarrassing.

I hope Strang didn't fly all the over just for that, because any person who watched the documentary could have answered D'Arcy's questions.

This would probably be my main criticism of him. No real empathy for his guests and often coming out with blunt and crass comments. I've no idea how someone who is evidently not a people person ended up in a job interviewing people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Strazdas wrote: »
    This would probably be my main criticism of him. No real empathy for his guests and often coming out with blunt and crass comments. I've no idea how someone who is evidently not a people person ended up in a job interviewing people.

Completely agree. I cannot even attempt to watch the show because that, to me, is exactly what the problem is. No empathy, no interest in the interviewees, and an over-sized ego. Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

amdublin wrote: »
    She was painting a cool picture of London in the 60's and Ray just kept interrupting yeah, eh what about David, when did you meet David, what did you say to David, David David DAVID

There was a strange theme to the show, one aul
    hore, pardon my french looking for a Dave ;)
    & another aul bore looking for info on David!

Btw: I saw this in the paper a while ago, considering he's got a renewal, he's gotta be nicer to his staff!

1st pic is closer, doesn't show the A, 2nd pic Ray's underneath it, capital A that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

In fairness to yer wan Tiffany Pollard, Angie Bowie said "David is dead". The only person that the two of them would have referred to as "David" at that point in their lives, and expect the other person to know who they were referring to, was David Gest. It shows how self involved Angie Bowie is that she expected Tiffany Pollard to know that "David" was a reference to her dead ex husband.

Having said that, I never laughed so hard in my life when I saw it. :D:D
    I laughed so much after they went to David Gest's bed and found him alive, poor David Gest no wonder he left the Mad house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus F Christ,

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Haven't seen Darcy's new tv gig, being out of the country and all that. Has he complained about the Catholic Church yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

Jesus F Christ,
    I know it was tragic David Bowie died so young, but I'm sure he would have a good laugh too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

My god, I tuned in last nigh for the first time to watch Strang.

It was complete rubbish. My 5 year old niece could have a better thought out and constructive interview. I wanted to punch him, the interview was jumping all over the place, terribly structured. It was like Darcy hadn't prepared for it at all, as if he had just watched the documentary in the hours leading up to the show, prepared nothing and just asked questions.

Do you think he did it? Do ya? Do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Anybody been to his restaurant?

What's it like?
    I know a few people that have been and they said it's unbelievable

I've been and it's unbelievable Welsh.

Seriously, the food is to die for but the Blacklion is in the middle of nowhere. Nevin is a genuine good guy. Unlike some places, you will be full after dining. We had booked months in advance and on arrival found it closed for building work. Due to a communication hiccup they had been unable to contact us and when he found out, he sent us a voucher for the meal and overnight stay for 2.
    And President Mary McAleese was at the table next to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Journal have a story about the Twitter complaints on last nights show
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ray-darcy-dean-strang-2-2564763-Jan2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

A similar article on joe.ie :

http://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/tweets-people-were-extremely-unhappy-with-ray-darcys-interview-with-dean-strang/528017

The main complaint is that the interview was badly researched by D'Arcy. I think this goes back to him having little or no interest in the people he's interviewing (nonetheless it's unforgivable to go into a prime time interview having poorly researched the item, makes D'Arcy look like a complete amateur).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah I like that as well. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but I always thought he held himself well. Always polite and no ego. I loved this bit in Extras with Ricky Gervais, he really got the whole David Brent thing.

Well...except that Extras was nothing to do with David Brent!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Laurence Kinlan certainly didn't hold back with his series of tweets. Probably getting flash backs from when he was once on the receiving end of D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

"So if you don't have money in the US, you get crap lawyer" (emphasis and incorrect grammar D'arcy's own).

How crude and disconnected from reality can someone be that they come up with that? So many people offended with that statement... what are you D'Arcy, a public broadcaster? As if there were people out there that didn't know that private lawyers had upsides over public ones that he was informing of that.

If he had any experience outside of life outside of RTE he would know that a lot of them might be good, they might give a professional and good job, not "crap". As I've said many times now D'Arcy is just stupid and not fit to be giving interviews on a Saturday night show.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

"So if you don't have money in the US, you get crap lawyer" (emphasis and incorrect grammar D'arcy's own).

How crude and disconnected from reality can someone be that they come up with that? So many people offended with that statement... what are you D'Arcy, a public broadcaster? As if there were people out there that didn't know that private lawyers had upsides over public ones that he was informing of that.

If he had any experience outside of life outside of RTE he would know that a lot of them might be good, they might give a professional and good job, not "crap". As I've said many times now D'Arcy is just stupid and not fit to be giving interviews on a Saturday night show.

Never watched the show as think he's an awful broadcaster. Watched the clip posted here though.
    Think the lowest point was saying something about was he embarrassed or ashamed to be an American considering the injustices that go on or something. What a sh1tty thing to say to an American. What the hell has he got to be embarrassed about.
    Maybe take a moment to reflect on our own awful justice system and all the injustices regularly meted out by our own "learned" judges who themselves are on over inflated salaries.
    It was cringy to watch. He was so disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Absolutely no chance of this being axed.
    I would say it has at least 4 more series to run, which would give it a neat 5 series.
    Brendan o'Conor was just as stupid and inept and that horse **** ran for years! No folks I think we're stuck with the pick for the long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It depresses me that some of my hard earned money goes toward funding this absolute rubbish.

I had the anguish of witnessing it first hand for the Strang "interview". Forget protesting against water charges, I think there should be a march on RTE to end this show and the money it burns. D'Arcy shouldn't be let out in public, let alone host a chat show. It's actually like he has some sort of condition. He's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Folks, simple solution for the problem - stop watching the show! As with Jadaol, I never watch the show for the same reasons. If the viewers leave there is a chance RTE may axe it as that's all that really matters (in terms of advertising revenue).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Cupra280

I never watch RTE chat shows, never seen an entire Late Late, and never even knew that they did a Saturday night chat show.

My neighbour advised me of Dean Strang being interviewed, and when I heard that it was Ray D'Arcy doing the interviewing, I recorded the show, to minimise my exposure to the show.

I think I managed about 4 minutes before I had to stop and delete. It was woeful. The interview appeared to be completely unprepared. Awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ray won the lotto when RTE took him back.

Advertisement