Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps v Leinster match thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can write off a loss as not mattering.

Can you write off a 50+ point destruction? I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

36 points conceded in the second half with none scored in return.

Players should be ashamed of themselves dead rubber or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Fitzgerald was outstanding imo. Wonder does Joe Schmidt still see him as a winger only.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote:

Will Oyonnax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "Afford"?

Of course he can afford it, there is absolutely nothing on the line here.

A defeat costs cullen nothing.

Move onto next week

He had an awful start to his reign, came good for a few, but Leinster suffering a humiliation, when did they last score in the game, does him no good.

It's one thing losing a dead duck game, but the manner of the loss makes it a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Will Oyonnax?

Are Oyonnax a side Leinster really want to be compared to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Rob Kearney is possibly the most overrated player in Ireland. How he seems to just walk into the leinster team let alone the irish team completely baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's one thing loosing a dead duck game, but the manner of the loss makes it a problem.

Why does the manner of a loss make it "a problem?" What does that mean exactly?

The only thing that matters now is the Pro 12. The selection for the last two games makes that clear. When we're playing in the Pro 12 playoffs noone will care about this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This game really doesn't matter. It hasn't mattered for months.

Let's hold the cries of indignation for the competition we're still in the running for.

No.

I was looking at Oyannax earlier and thinking, this is not acceptable for a professional side, there are minima acceptable to earn your money in terms of application and putting a plan on the pitch.

Didnt think id be saying that about our own team later in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

He had an awful start to his reign, came good but Leinster suffering a humiliation, when did they last score in the game, does him no good.

It's one thing loosing a dead duck game, but the manner of the loss makes it a problem.

If the game was more final like with the result affecting both sides then we wouldnt have seen penalties tapped or kicked to the corner so much. There was a lack of structure to the game. Sub consciously the players knew the game wasnt critical to the season and that led to a lack of intensity.

Once Wasps got the TBP they were able to just pick off Leinster mistakes. In the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought Ven Der Flier played well enough after coming on as a sub. Poor Jordi is having a nightmare by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

funtime93 wrote: »
    Rob Kearney is possibly the most overrated player in Ireland. How he seems to just walk into the leinster team let alone the irish team completely baffles me.

He's great under the high ball though, isn't he? What else could you want from a 15? :o

Hopefully we'll see Payne feature there for the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »
    You can write off a loss as not mattering.

What is "mattering" and what difference does it really make going forward? The focus since Toulon was on the league and this result isnt going to impact that, or at least it shouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Clegg wrote: »
    I thought Ven Der Flier played well enough after coming on as a sub. Poor Jordi is having a nightmare by comparison.

While Murphy has been poor of late, Leinster were dismantled after he was called ashore.

Why does the manner of a loss make it "a problem?" What does that mean exactly?

What can he, or the players take from that game? Ok, we were beaten, but those few new players we tried together worked well, or those tactics looked good, himself out of position worked well.?

None of that, it was abysmal. How can you not have a problem with that? You think this a good place for the squad to be in going into the next lot of games?

To excuse it because it was a dead rubber game is a cop out. Could they not play for themselves, or at least the fans that travelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

He's great under the high ball though, isn't he? What else could you want from a 15? :o

Hopefully we'll see Payne feature there for the 6N.

12. McCloskey, 13. Ringrose, 15. Henshaw. It's the future.

Robert not bringing enough of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What can he, or the players take from that came? Ok, we were beaten, but those few new players we tried together worked well, or those tactics looked good, himself out of position worked well.?

None of that, it was abysmal. How can you not have a problem with that? You think this a good place for the squad to be in going into the next lot of games?

To excuse it because it was a dead rubber game is a cop out. Could they not play for themselves, or at least the fans that travelled?

It's not a cop out. It was a dead rubber and we lost our captain and out half in the first quarter. The players themselves said the game was meaningless before (Sexton said it).

I'd much rather they play for themselves and the fans in games where there is something on the line.

Just seems like people being reactionary for the sake of it really. If we play like that in a game that matters, which we did in the reverse fixture, I'll be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Next game, Ringrose, Te'o, VDF, McGrath, Molony, Tracey, Isa, Ferg etc come back into the team. I doubt tonight will have any meaning going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Clegg wrote: »
    36 points conceded in the second half with none scored in return.

Players should be ashamed of themselves dead rubber or no.
    Will Oyonnax?

Oyonnax didn't win the ERC 3 times, get to the semi finals last year, be deemed the best European Rugby team in Europe over quite a few years and don't supply 70%+ of the French national side. The majority of that Leinster team know what it's like to win important games. There are no duffers in that side. Nearly every player is a current Irish International or one that has been capped in recent years. That team today wasn't wildly far off a reasonable Leinster starting 23. The Oyonnax team were pretty much their seconds I assume. Oyonnax were probably relieved it was only 56. The Leinster players will be horrified.

As far as I can see, Rob Kearney, Luke Fitz, Dave Kearney, Sexton, Reddan, Ruddock, Heaslip, Toner, V.D.F., Cronin/Strauss, McGrath and Moore are either Ireland starters or next up. I hope Ireland put up a better showing because of that list, McGrath, Moore, Cronin/Strauss, Toner, Heaslip, Ruddock, Reddan, Fitz, D.K. and R.K. are pretty much nailed on for Schmidt and mostly as starters. That's about two thirds of the team. You simply can't brush this defeat under the carpet by saying it doesn't matter.

Would a full strength Leinster team have fared better/ I fecking hope so or we're in trouble in the 6 Nations because the reality is, there aren't many other options and none where it hurts - in the forwards. We could probably change quite a few outside backs without much hassle but it's up front that we have few options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I actually couldn't be any less bothered about that result.

I am seriously worried about Sexton though. It's getting to the stage where his career is in jeopardy. In which you can forget about any 6 nations titles for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Good first half from Leinster. Dave Kearney is in great form and Luke looked really sharp again. Reddan was good too, but needed to be replaced sooner. I've no idea why Leo left him on for so long.

Our pack was poor. Especially our back row. Jamie did what he could but Ryan and Murphy simply weren't up to it. The selection there was found wanting. Our maul was a farce and yet we kept engaging them there 5m out. Why? That made no sense. Noel Reid is a non-entity in defence. Was at sea a few times and wasn't exactly dominant in the tackle. And going forward he just isn't big enough. At Pro12 level he looks good but he struggled today. Again, like Reddan, he should not have been left on that long.

The result was irrelevant. Who cares that we lost? But in fairness the manner and severity of the loss is an issue. Another record loss, the second of the season. I'm sorry but that just isn't acceptable from a side like Leinster. And they deserve to be questioned about that. You shouldn't just wipe a record loss under the carpet like it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Good first half from Leinster. Dave Kearney is in great form and Luke looked really sharp again. Reddan was good too, but needed to be replaced sooner. I've no idea why Leo left him on for so long.

Our pack was poor. Especially our back row. Jamie did what he could but Ryan and Murphy simply weren't up to it. The selection there was found wanting. Our maul was a farce and yet we kept engaging them there 5m out. Why? That made no sense. Noel Reid is a non-entity in defence. Was at sea a few times and wasn't exactly dominant in the tackle. And going forward he just isn't big enough. At Pro12 level he looks good but he struggled today. Again, like Reddan, he should not have been left on that long.

The result was irrelevant. Who cares that we lost? But in fairness the manner and severity of the loss is an issue. Another record loss, the second of the season. I'm sorry but that just isn't acceptable from a side like Leinster. And they deserve to be questioned about that. You shouldn't just wipe a record loss under the carpet like it didn't happen.

It's not a cop out. It was a dead rubber and we lost our captain and out half in the first quarter. The players themselves said the game was meaningless before (Sexton said it).

I'd much rather they play for themselves and the fans in games where there is something on the line.

Just seems like people being reactionary for the sake of it really. If we play like that in a game that matters, which we did in the reverse fixture, I'll be concerned.

I'm one of the last people on this forum to be reactionary for a good reason, never mind for the sake of it.

I see no problem with being concerned that such a performance is acceptable no matter how meaningful the game, particularly when the team is a professional one. You'd hardly expect a bunch of hungover lads on a Sunday morning to play with that mindset.

My one concern (which I extend to all provinces) is the general lack of pace. How many of Wasps' tries resulted form guys just stepping on the gas from far out the field? Daly's try in particular.

Every team worth their salt outside of Ireland has pace in its backline, albeit usually imported. That our (as in, Irish) fastest players are probably Earls, Bowe or Gilroy really tells the story. We need to start shopping in this department.

My one concern (which I extend to all provinces) is the general lack of pace. How many of Wasps' tries resulted form guys just stepping on the gas from far out the field? Daly's try in particular.

Every team worth their salt outside of Ireland has pace in its backline, albeit usually imported. That our (as in, Irish) fastest players are probably Earls, Bowe or Gilroy really tells the story. We need to start shopping in this department.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was a poor performance, particularly in the second half. We were right in it at half time. We were completely out-thought up front and our starting flankers, as I suspected, have no business playing at this level on their current form. Ruddock is not a lock any day of the week.

I do think people are completely ignoring the fact that Wasps are a very good team just like it was glossed over last week that Bath were very poor.

With that said, the heads went down and the fight went out of them after 50 minutes. The players knew the race was run and they pretty much ambled around the field after that.

I do hold them accountable for such a poor response but there's absolutely no way people can read so much into it given the reality of what was at stake.

As per usual, the reactions here are completely knee jerk. Last week it was all about how the future is safe, what an academy, superb performance and this week it's about how we're back to where we were 2 months ago, this is a disaster and the players should be ashamed.

Just as the former wasn't true last week, the latter isn't this week. The truth is somewhere in the middle. We're an ok side. Nothing special and got our arses handed to us in a dead rubber game. I wish we had maintained a more professional performance when things started going wrong but, to be honest, the game was done the moment Sexton went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

molloyjh wrote: »
    . Noel Reid is a non-entity in defence. Was at sea a few times and wasn't exactly dominant in the tackle. And going forward he just isn't big enough. At Pro12 level he looks good but he struggled today. Again, like Reddan, he should not have been left on that long.

I've never rated Reid and I hope the club are concerned at the manner of defeat today; something wrong if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

We don't seem to produce many really fast players. The two quickest - afaik - at Ulster are Nelson and Olding. Trimble and Gilroy aren't slow either. A really fit Zebo is quick, as is Earls and Healy is lightning but limited in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It was a poor performance, particularly in the second half. We were right in it at half time. We were completely out-thought up front and our starting flankers, as I suspected, have no business playing at this level on their current form. Ruddock is not a lock any day of the week.

I do think people are completely ignoring the fact that Wasps are a very good team just like it was glossed over last week that Bath were very poor.

With that said, the heads went down and the fight went out of them after 50 minutes. The players knew the race was run and they pretty much ambled around the field after that.

I do hold them accountable for such a poor response but there's absolutely no way people can read so much into it given the reality of what was at stake.

As per usual, the reactions here are completely knee jerk. Last week it was all about how the future is safe, what an academy, superb performance and this week it's about how we're back to where we were 2 months ago, this is a disaster and the players should be ashamed.

Just as the former wasn't true last week, the latter isn't this week. The truth is somewhere in the middle. We're an ok side. Nothing special and got our arses handed to us in a dead rubber game. I wish we had maintained a more professional performance when things started going wrong but, to be honest, the game was done the moment Sexton went off.

Are "ok" and "nothing special" really accurate terms to describe this squad? We contributed literally half the entire Irish six nations squad, most of our pack is first choice in their positions for Ireland and if not they arent far off, and there are Lions quality players all over the field. The best team we have is certainly European cup winning quality and our depth is very good by most standards, I would not regard the squad we have as nothing special. I think the fact we were spoiled by an absolutely phenomenal team a couple of years ago didnt raise expectations to an impossible level, but instead lessened expectations when that really shouldnt be the case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

So in two matches with wasps the aggregate score has been 84-16. That's shocking, and wasps aren't even a top side in England. Midtable at best IMO

Advertisement