Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

To carsfan2 and 2angelsdh that have just bought the 330e and x540e, can I ask you guys a question?

I went to local dealership today enquiring about a 330e and they can get them, and I am very, very interested. In fact, subject to approval I am 90% sure I am going to get it.

The price for what I am interested in is between 41 and 45k (I will decide on exact spec later). This is after the 2 grants which total €7,500.

What way is this grant dealt with? Will my payments be based on the pre-grant price and the grant paid to me or is the grant paid to the dealer and my payments are based on the post grant price?

Also in the case of the 330e carsfan2, if you don't mind me asking what was your purchase price and what was your GFV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The above grants are never paid/received by the customer, they are taken from the total cost of the vehicle and your payments will be based off the remaining amount.

The above grants are never paid/received by the customer, they are taken from the total cost of the vehicle and your payments will be based off the remaining amount.

That's what I would have thought. Looking at about 40k so. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I haven't agreed whether to buy straight or do pcp but have the figures. If you buy without bmw finance, you just pay less the 7.5 k vrt relief and seai grant.The way bmw treat it for pcp is not exactly as voodoo says but close in that they take the 2.5k vrt relief off the top alright but the 5k Seai grant is included towards your deposit not off the top.
    For example if the car you buy is 45k i.e. 52.5k before grants, they treat it as a 50k car.
    If you want to put in 30 per cent towards this, you pay 10k and the seai is the other 5k which you never see. This is instead of you putting in 13.5 k of your own to make 30 percent of 45k.
    Effectively you put in less of your own money up front but are paying off a 50 grand car not a 45 grand car.
    I argued the toss over this with my sales guy but this is the way bmw treat it for pcp. The gfv is then based on the higher figure too and is about 44per cent if I recall.

I hope I have explained it ok. I had a lot of back and forth with the dealer trying to get a handle on this. I think they are being a bit smart but the bmw argument is that they price the car relative to 330i and relief is not available to everyone.

Good man carsfan2 yeah that all makes sense to me. So the gfv at 44% is about 22k. 3 year old 3 series are asking into the 30s in dealers, so do you reckon there will be decent equity to put down another deposit without finding cash? At those figures I think there will be.

The motor tax on my 525i is up at end of July so I think I'll plan to get 3 more months out of that and hopefully get into a 330e half way through the 162 period or go for 6 months and order for 171 plate.

Where are there any to test drive do you know, none where I was today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is the grant a one off?
    If you go to buy a second one in 3 years time, do you end up paying full price?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 2angelsdh

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I haven't agreed whether to buy straight or do pcp but have the figures. If you buy without bmw finance, you just pay less the 7.5 k vrt relief and seai grant.The way bmw treat it for pcp is not exactly as voodoo says but close in that they take the 2.5k vrt relief off the top alright but the 5k Seai grant is included towards your deposit not off the top.
    For example if the car you buy is 45k i.e. 52.5k before grants, they treat it as a 50k car.
    If you want to put in 30 per cent towards this, you pay 10k and the seai is the other 5k which you never see. This is instead of you putting in 13.5 k of your own to make 30 percent of 45k.
    Effectively you put in less of your own money up front but are paying off a 50 grand car not a 45 grand car.
    I argued the toss over this with my sales guy but this is the way bmw treat it for pcp. The gfv is then based on the higher figure too and is about 44per cent if I recall.

I hope I have explained it ok. I had a lot of back and forth with the dealer trying to get a handle on this. I think they are being a bit smart but the bmw argument is that they price the car relative to 330i and relief is not available to everyone.

It's right that the SEAI grant is treated as a cash deposit it doesn't really make a difference as your loan is the same in the end it helps you get a lower rate and bmw finance will approve you easier. Your kinda gaining in the gmfv so essentiallyand extra 1500 of your loan is offset for 3 years. The dealer isn't really fleecing you. It's a pretty decent gmfv too so hopefully you retain some equity towards your next car. I bought mine as a demo so I've still got the ability to claim the grants on my next buy in a year or two once they are still available. I believe bmw are 2 grams outside the grants net so they are taking a pill on the hybrid x5 price wise to keep it competitive.

I drove a bmw Ireland demo car that the dealer got down for me but another poster who has ordered drove a different one so there must be another demo somewhere. Dublin dealer such as joe Duffy I presume.
    Did they tell you if they have availability to get a car quick for you if you order? I ordered in March and earlier build slot I got is end of June.
    In the UK the waiting list is now September 2017 apparently.
    Defo get a longish test drive before buying to make sure you will like it and it will suit your lifestyle.
    I can't see there being 30 percent equity in it after 3 years big there will be some alright, maybe 20 per cent. I had a bit of a wobbler after ordering about the depreciation and the dealer reassured me that he feels they will hold their value well as there won't be too many and they will become a lot more in Voque as diesel goes out of favour. Apparently BMW see 20 per cent plus if their cars being phev within a few years so they will be pushing them big time.

mickdw wrote: »
    Is the grant a one off?
    If you go to buy a second one in 3 years time, do you end up paying full price?

Yip one per person. So you need to put the next one in your wife's name .....😉

I drove a bmw Ireland demo car that the dealer got down for me but another poster who has ordered drove a different one so there must be another demo somewhere. Dublin dealer such as joe Duffy I presume.
    Did they tell you if they have availability to get a car quick for you if you order? I ordered in March and earlier build slot I got is end of June.
    Defo get a longish test drive before buying to make sure you will like it and it will suit your lifestyle.
    I can't see there being 30 percent equity in it after 3 years big there will be some alright, maybe 20 per cent. I had a bit of a wobbler after ordering about the depreciation and the dealer reassured me that he feels they will hold their value well as there won't be too many and they will become a lot more in Voque as diesel goes out of favour. Apparently BMW see 20 per cent plus if their cars being phev within a few years so they will be pushing them big time.

Don't worry about the value. It will hold even as a simply fast bmw. The low tax and option to run it on air will be enough for most people, you've a good colour and spec too. The risk in the market is when tesla land the 35k car over the next couplease of years . That will be a game changer but not until the superchargers are up and running.

I also constantly have people second glancing mine at the charging stations so clearly the not so car mad public hasn't heard that there are normal electric cars too.

We're just early adopters. By the time we move on to phev number 2 there will be some heat around them . Also lazy bmw dealers are advertising them as petrol cars not hybrids on carzone etc so wiping out a load of their prospective clients as they won't play with the searches.

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote: »
    Good man carsfan2 yeah that all makes sense to me. So the gfv at 44% is about 22k. 3 year old 3 series are asking into the 30s in dealers, so do you reckon there will be decent equity to put down another deposit without finding cash? At those figures I think there will be.

The motor tax on my 525i is up at end of July so I think I'll plan to get 3 more months out of that and hopefully get into a 330e half way through the 162 period or go for 6 months and order for 171 plate.

Where are there any to test drive do you know, none where I was today

Murphy and gun have one in Milltown. Theirs is a nice spec one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

2angelsdh wrote: »

News to me. Plenty of people on their 2nd Leaf and got the grants again. As long as they're available there doesn't seem to be a limit

Murphy and gun have one in Milltown. Theirs is a nice spec one .

I'll go out for a look so. None in Frank keanes today.

If I had a wife!
    s.welstead wrote: »
    News to me. Plenty of people on their 2nd Leaf and got the grants again. As long as they're available there doesn't seem to be a limit
    I hope that is the case.

Dealer did seem confident in getting me one if I did order. He said he has a few arriving in July that are ordered for customers. 171 seems a good target for me. Do the deal late summer of I can get a decent spin in one. I have no preference where I buy it for one dealer over another.whoever gives me best deal gets my vote.
    Only thing is the next 330e is going to improve greatly on this I think the technology will get old quickly.

When's the next model due for the 3 series? I'd really like to get back to a 5 seater so long as they offer a full BEV.

When's the next model due for the 3 series? I'd really like to get back to a 5 seater so long as they offer a full BEV.

5 series due out next year as the f10 started in 2010. Think the 3 series is 2 years newer than 5 series so I am guessing 2018 or early 2019?

If I had a wife!

I hope that is the case.

One of the grants is deffo a one timer, maybe seaI? I'd imagine vrt rebate is per car.

New 3 series is due end of 2018 so a 2019 car.
    Vrt rebate is in the car and the seai grant is for the customer.
    I did not know it was a once off.
    Are you sure?
    I could see these being phased out anyway as these cars become more common. They have already halved the grant in the UK.
    I do agree the tech in these will move on fast but I see this as being a cheap to run fast good handling bmw so should still hold its value well as a result.

One of the grants is deffo a one timer, maybe seaI? I'd imagine vrt rebate is per car.

Honestly whoever told you that must be wrong. There's no limits other than when they decide to end the incentives.
    I'd like to see them end the incentives pretty quickly for phev but keep them running for BEV. It's actually funny how cheap you can have a 330e for in comparison to standard 3 series due to the grants.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's funny, I think it's great.

I don't think it's funny, I think it's great.

But yet there isn't a waiting list on them here but there is in the UK. Shows how bloody backward we are here as most would rather have a 316d yuck.

But yet there isn't a waiting list on them here but there is in the UK. Shows how bloody backward we are here as most would rather have a 316d yuck.

And keep it this way. All the more nice petrol cars for us.
    If I had a euro for everyone who asked me is it diesel when looking at my car then looking at me in disbelief when I say it's petrol........

In fairness, I think company car tax rules in the UK make these type of cars extremely cheap to own and run there so that accounts for the long waiting lists.

BMW Ireland have done little or no marketing on these cars. The dealer where I ordered said that they were to receive more publicity but that the success of the car in other markets meant they were in short supply initially so it was decided to hold off as they couldn't get enough demos.

There was a stand at the Irish open golf with the X5,330e and 225xe last week.
    That was the first I have seen of them here

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness, I think company car tax rules in the UK make these type of cars extremely cheap to own and run there so that accounts for the long waiting lists.

BMW Ireland have done little or no marketing on these cars. The dealer where I ordered said that they were to receive more publicity but that the success of the car in other markets meant they were in short supply initially so it was decided to hold off as they couldn't get enough demos.

There was a stand at the Irish open golf with the X5,330e and 225xe last week.
    That was the first I have seen of them here

What spec did you go with in the end?

I'm going to have a serious look at the new 530e when it appears.
    Will be a safer bet re retained value being a new model.
    A 530e priced possibly similarly to a 518d would be interesting.
    When are these hitting the street does anyone know?

I went m sport with the m sport plus pack,professional media pack, comfort pack and folding mirrors.

New 5 series is early next year and I have read that the 530e will be a few months later but probably 2018. I would bet it will still be a 60k car here even after grants however.

I'm going to have a serious look at the new 530e when it appears.
    Will be a safer bet re retained value being a new model.
    A 530e priced possibly similarly to a 518d would be interesting.
    When are these hitting the street does anyone know?

New 5 series is august ( I think Geneva launch ) for lhd. Rhd is usually 6 months later. So early 2017. Ireland is always paddy last with these launches as our entire market is only the size of Manchester City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Just noticed the 330e is now in the BMW configurator.

• Advertisement

It took them long enough.
    It's been on the UK site for months, although dealers have been able to configure it here since February/March.
    First dealer I visited back then told me it didn't exist then turned on his computer and to his surprise was able to spec it for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement