Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Renewal Land Owners Permission

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Gardai in at least one area of Co. Donegal are giving out these forms with renewals now. I know of two lads up there who got them signed just for peace sake.

Looks like the Gardai are trying to roll it out across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/sigh. Add one to the FCP's to-do list...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I know it's only a signature, but from a farmers point of view (no, i'm not a farmer), it could get quite annoying to have to sign these whenever someone you gave permission to has to renew their license. If a few people have been given permission, you could be signing a few of these every year. Not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Tell them you want a copy of the form in Irish!

Just a quick follow up.

I didn't submit the Firearms Renewal Land Owners Permission form with the renewal application.

The renewal licence has been issued so all good here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks for the update.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nolander

I have the same crap to deal with. I got the pre-populated gun renewal form last year for a shotgun and had to go get the farmers permission again even though it states in about 3 places on the form that it only needs to be submitted if there are changes in land owner etc. Didnt know any better at the time.
    I have another renewal this year for another gun and rang the station with the super in it and said would it be ok to drop it directly to them as it is a pre-populated one so they have all the details and they said yes no problem. dropped it in, rang recently (2 months later) and they had sent the application to the local station and nothing has been done with it even though my contact details are on it no one contacted me. so now the licence is running out and the local lad will want me to jump through hoops even though none of it is needed since its a renewal not a new application. Its madness what these guys are at! they cant even do routine procedures. if the licence runs out and its their fault where does that leave me?

nolander wrote: »
    I have the same crap to deal with. I got the pre-populated gun renewal form last year for a shotgun and had to go get the farmers permission again even though it states in about 3 places on the form that it only needs to be submitted if there are changes in land owner etc. Didnt know any better at the time.
    I have another renewal this year for another gun and rang the station with the super in it and said would it be ok to drop it directly to them as it is a pre-populated one so they have all the details and they said yes no problem. dropped it in, rang recently (2 months later) and they had sent the application to the local station and nothing has been done with it even though my contact details are on it no one contacted me. so now the licence is running out and the local lad will want me to jump through hoops even though none of it is needed since its a renewal not a new application. Its madness what these guys are at! they cant even do routine procedures. if the licence runs out and its their fault where does that leave me?

If your licence runs out, you will be in possession of an unlicenced firearm. Your best option is to hand the gun into a firearms dealer for storage the day before the licence expires. It's a pain in the hole but at least that way you can't be penalised for being in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

Contact the local station and see what the delay is.

I had the same kind of problem as you when I was going for a European Firearms Pass. Dropped the paperwork into the district office (as advised by the Gardaí) but they sent it back to my local station as it should have been sent from there to the district office. Fcuking madness. Anyway, I was only delayed a month because I kept ringing them to see what the delay was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I wouldn't be arsed dropping it into a gun dealer and putting any extra expense on myself. [But thats just me]

YOU did everything by the book, you returned the compleated form, well within the time frame.YOU agreed with them to drop it into the divisional HQ.

[Albeit it does seem that their protocol these days is that it must come into the divisional HQ via the local garda station. So proably better in future for all of us to just toss it into the station letterbox and let them deal with it]

Once it is in the system, there is nothing you can do about it, and it will be a hilarious day in court trying to make an unlicensed firearms charge stick when it is proven that it was the incompetence of the system that caused you to have one in the first place.In fact,it would be probably a great one to go to the court again putting the minister for Justice and the CC in the box for being in charge of a system that routinely delays obfusticates and "loses" confidential documentation with your personal and extremely confidential info.

Not to mind in what sort of a society and especially in a system like this, that is known for issues, delays and an archaic chain of command in these matters, in granting FACs do we accept that after 90 days of silence, we take it we are refused a license, without written grounds?? Even the Revenue or any other organisation has to put its reasons on paper for its decisions.why is aGS immune under the act? I mean if this happened to me I'd be lawyering up again to tell the Super he has a day in court in his future.when only to discover it arriving a few days later due to it sitting in the Supers IN tray for 3 months.:(

This is another FCP issue that needs a resolve too.FFS! 90 days!! You get a quicker decision from An Bord Pleanala on something much more critical and permanent done to the country than this.:(:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I
    I had the same kind of problem as you when I was going for a European Firearms Pass. Dropped the paperwork into the district office (as advised by the Gardaí) but they sent it back to my local station as it should have been sent from there to the district office. Fcuking madness. Anyway, I was only delayed a month because I kept ringing them to see what the delay was.

TIP.. Ring Div HQ and make an appointment with the misfortunate one who is detailed to deal with firearms applications. Tell them you have had an offer of shooting in the next possible 2weeks and need this done pronto,as the airline needs this paperwork as well as the host country...like last week!. Bring your lics and mugshots on the day with the form. Once you have got the initial FREE! EU firearms passport,it is a lot easier to get it stamped and renewed every 3 years thereafter.

ALSO!!! Make sure they issue it from the DATE YOU WERE IN THE STATION.Not from when your lics expire! Had this happen to me five years ago.I arrived in Nurenberg only to discover that they had added a new shotgun to the EU passport,but had neglected to renew the passport as I wanted both done on the same day.
    Fortunately, the German cops and customs had the good sense to see the mistake made that the expiry date was within the week that I had had the new gun enterd onto the passport and put it down to a clerical error.Knowing how much of bears the Germans are for paperwork,i must have got them on a good day.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

Same story with my renewal, have the permission pre populated on the form but got a call from the local station to say that I need an up to date signed letter even though the contact information and phone number are on the form. My cert is now expired but he told me because it's only a week that it's fine as long as I keep the gun locked away. Why can't they just make sure call to the land owner to verify the permission???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

'YOU did everything by the book, you returned the compleated form, well within the time frame.YOU agreed with them to drop it into the divisional HQ. 

[Albeit it does seem that their protocol these days is that it must come into the divisional HQ via the local garda station. So proably better in future for all of us to just toss it into the station letterbox and let them deal with it]'

My local station is the Divisional HQ and I still have to send my paper work through the stations appointed FO, this was from the horses mouth so to speak. If I did address it to the Super it would be redirected back down the hallway and into the FO pigeon hole....he /she is your first point of contact.

OTOH then in your case have the excuse to contact the organ grinder directly and tell him his monkey isn't doing its job! Its a ridiculous overly bureaucratic inefficient system, that wouldn't survive an hour out in the private sphere of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    OTOH then in your case have the excuse to contact the organ grinder directly and tell him his monkey isn't doing its job! Its a ridiculous overly bureaucratic inefficient system, that wouldn't survive an hour out in the private sphere of business.

Or it could be infinitely worse. Never underestimate the private sector for it's ability of devising surreal procedural comedy either.

At least a state organisation when working properly in areas like firearms licencing should only have one consideration; the law and nothing else.

Profit or loss or opinion shouldn't come into it. I may have been lucky with my local station and district but that's pretty much the way it has been with all the applications I've ever submitted. Tick all the required boxes and within a few weeks the licence lands in the post box.

Advertisement