Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls and nails.. What in the name of sweet holy fuk.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Serious questions though; I absolutely hate big nails with fancy nail polish on them, how would I tell my girlfriend I think its awful without insulting her or starting a fight?
    Ask her what it costs to keep them and then explain what you have left after tax, food and shelter.
    No brainer after that unless she has no brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Serious questions though; I absolutely hate big nails with fancy nail polish on them, how would I tell my girlfriend I think its awful without insulting her or starting a fight?

I understand you not liking this aspect of her but if she really likes them (unlike the OP's girlfriend), do you think it's a good idea to say something? Are you hoping she'll stop wearing her nails like that? I honestly don't know.

My boyfriend has a really awful t-shirt his auntie bought him that he sometimes wears and I do joke about it and I had a jacket that he hated that he used to make fun of as well but neither of us were particularly attached to either. If my boyfriend told me he didn't like me wearing something I loved and was a bit more permanent and I felt was part of who I am (my nose ring, say), then I don't think I'd pay heed. I can't see what good could come of saying something. Sometimes tact comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

How attached to them is she? Does she get them done every few weeks and never has normal nails or is it more of a special occasion thing? If it's a special occasion think just tell her that you like her natural nails more.

If she is getting them done all the time it's trickier because she'll probably take it personally. Maybe just start a conversation about them. Ask her why she gets them done (in an out of interest way rather than a what the hell are you thinking way). Maybe tell her you'd like them a bit shorter to start. Being honest though women don't get their nails done to attract guys anyway.

Of course if ye're been going out for ages just tell her you'd prefer them natural straight out. Do not under any circumstances say you think they are awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

O.A.P wrote: »
    Ask her what it costs to keep them and then explain what you have left after tax, food and shelter.
    No brainer after that unless she has no brain.
    Some of us actually pay for our own nails.;)

TBH Im surprised more people cant relate to the OP.Most of us have experienced awful results from different things,myself and my sister in laws all went to a wedding years ago looking like trailer thrash due to woeful spray tans and Ive seen (and had) haircuts that should have seen the hairdresser taken to the high court but theyre not permanent so wtf.
    Would be a lot worse if it was a tattoo or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was called George for ages after cutting my hair short by my boyfriend. I liked it, he didn't, no big deal. There is a difference between lighhartedly saying something (as it is in this case I think) and being mean and insulting about it. How you say it (the tone of the voice, face expression) it's way more important than what you say.

Anyway I don't like long nails but I love properly done up nails in just about any colour or design. Unfortunately my own nails disintegrate and become yellow under nail polish so I haven't worn it for at least ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Girlfriend comes home with bright white shiny nails.. She didn't want them like that because they were supposed to have some pattern or some crap but my god, she looks like some crap you'd pick up in Pattaya. (In Asia so it's appropriate).

For the next three weeks, she's gonna look like a prostitute on my arm so I'm just gonna not go out in public with her. Absolutely no chance I'll be seen in public with her.

I don't care if it was unintended.. She went from lovely to ladyboy in a few hours. Arsebiscuits.

You see, I'm not seeing how we go from the shiny nails to sex working ladyboy myself. There of course may be a few details you've left out.

On a different note, I'd imagine somebody is going to realise something in the next 3 weeks, and enjoy themselves in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Serves her right for going to the ladyboy nail salon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dude, wtf? Nobody died.
    She had a nail disaster. We've all be there. I once had bright green gels for 3 weeks one st Patrick's day. It happens. It's not a disaster. She can use her own nail varnish to paint over them. She can go back tomorrow and ask them to fix the colour. They won't even have to take the entire nail off, they can buff the colour off and just apply and set another colour. It's no big deal. Certainly not worth two of ye being upset. My hair got turned green in September and i had to walk around like an illuminous zebra, these things happen. Chill. Breathe. Nothing is forever

I haven't. Possibly because I'm a man, but one can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mid fifties

I think the only way you're going to nail this OP is to call in The Pliers, they can make those nails disappear if you know what i mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Am I literally the only guy who finds painted nails an absolutely massive turn on? I find it hard to believe that relatively boring me could be that unique. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did she not consult you first before she got them done?:confused:

Am I literally the only guy who finds painted nails an absolutely massive turn on? I find it hard to believe that relatively boring me could be that unique. :D

Painted nails I can understand, but extra long fake nails? They are extenuating a pair of claws onto your hand. They look like weapons. I really don't get it in the slightest. And the noise they make. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Painted nails I can understand, but extra long fake nails? They are extenuating a pair of claws onto your hand. They look like weapons. I really don't get it in the slightest. And the noise they make. Ugh.

They just look great. Nothing like getting your extensions done after a long month of wanting a new colour :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Storm, meet teacup.

Personally, just makes me more grateful to be in a relationship where if I got my nails done and they turned out disastrous, my partner and I would have a running joke until I got the dratted things off about clawing him with my new talons.

No harm, no foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Haha thanks for the laugh! This thread is unintentionally amusing anyway. 1st world problems or what?

False nails are tacktastic. And these talons that are in fashion? Yuck! So unhygienic for a start. And all the lads can say about them is arse related. So not attractive to them either!
    Think about all the products you could get for hands and nails for 85 euro and do a decent manicure at home while watching Netflix.

And then you don't look and feel like a tool for wasting money on crap claws.

Wait...what???? :confused:
    Forgive my naivete, but what have to two got to do with each other?

Advertisement