Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leinster vs Bath 14th jan 5:30 Rds/sky sports

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »

Does anyone believe if yesterday wasn't a nothing game that he would've started?

Yeah, I do. Fitz is injured and Reid has all the same issues you think Ringrose has. So basically it was a shoot out between him and Reid. Which I believe he won, and would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I do. Fitz is injured and Reid has all the same issues you think Ringrose has. So basically it was a shoot out between him and Reid. Which I believe he won, and would have won.

Yeah. Okay, that's fair enough, and ferg is banned.

But again that's not saying much more than ringrose being clearly a 2nd choice centre for a big European cup game if all are fit.

Hagz wrote: »
    Molony is a beanpole in fairness.

Do I think Ringrose would have started if it was a nothing game? Probably not. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is the starting 13 for the rest of the Pro 12.

It'll be interesting to see if he is, personally I think fit luke and T'eo will be first choice.

But if Luke plays 11 for Ireland he may continue there for Leinster. And Reid and Ringrose are fantastic players, I really have no issue with who starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And in fairness how many times did ringrose actually take contact? He steps out of tackles, but anytime he joined a breakdown or got tackled he was noticeably bossed. I'm not sure why people are refusing to acknowledge this. It's not really an issue.

Because it didn't happen. They even mentioned at half time in the coverage how solid he was in contact.

Just because his first option isn't to go straight for the inside shoulder doesn't mean he was getting bossed in contact. He was moving around trying to evade tackles but he was completely solid in contact and we weren't losing any momentum when he took contact.

I'm not saying he's a physical weapon, but he was not having trouble in contact yesterday. I'm sure the quality of opposition played into that, it's not like they had any headhunters out there.

Because it didn't happen. They even mentioned at half time in the coverage how solid he was in contact.

Just because his first option isn't to go straight for the inside shoulder doesn't mean he was getting bossed in contact. He was moving around trying to evade tackles but he was completely solid in contact and we weren't losing any momentum when he took contact.

I'm not saying he's a physical weapon, but he was not having trouble in contact yesterday. I'm sure the quality of opposition played into that, it's not like they had any headhunters out there.

Watching it in the rds I felt a bit different. I felt anytime he didn't get space and time on the ball he was trouble. He tried to join one ruck and got completely bent backwards and looked to be in a bit of trouble. That did happen.

I'm gonna leave it here, because it sounds like I'm slating him, but I'm just responding to questions on here. I already said I thought he should've been motm but people will ignore that and just think I have some agenda and bring it back up later down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I just don't get why you hate Ringrose so much.

I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Having watched it back again I can confirm that Ringrose took contact well a good few times. That said he also stayed down a couple of times after taking contact too. He did seem to get rattled a bit. It's nothing I'd be worried about, but it did happen.

As for Mads, I've been vocally critical of the guy for a while but he had a pretty good game in fairness. He made a few errors all right. That awful pass in the first couple of minutes, butchered a try in the first half, put a kick out on the full and didn't make 10m on a restart. He also didn't exactly light the place up either. But he was very tidy. Made sure to inject a bit of pace into the game which was exactly what we needed. He had a few lovely passes that brought runners on to the ball very well too. It was his best performance at 10 since the Saints game a couple of years ago. Nothing hugely special but kept us motoring. He certainly helped his Ireland cause anyway IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

awec wrote: »
    I'd let it happen naturally.

Too much of a risk of setting him back or even ruining him if you stick him in a gym all summer.

+1

Ben Smith isn't the biggest or bulkiest player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

+1

Ben Smith isn't the biggest or bulkiest player.

True. He is actually very similar in size to Ringrose. However he's not a centre. He's a fullback who can play wing. Yes he has played occasionally at outside centre but you can probably count those games on one hand. If he moved to the midfield permanently he would have add some size.Also he didn't become an AB regular till he was 26 so he was physically more developed than Ringrose is at the moment.

I agree that we don't want all players bulking up but Ringrose does need to add some strength and size. It will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Judging by the size and weight of other Leinster backs, Ringrose doesn't have a lot more bulking up to do.

Player|Height (m)|Weight (Kg)
    Garry Ringrose|1.85|89
    Noel Reid|1.85|90
    Rob Kearney|1.85|95
    Zane Kirchner|1.85|95
    Luke FitzGerald|1.85|98
    Ben Te'o|1.88|104

So basically six or seven kilos would be the max he needs. It's interesting to note that Noel Reid isn't much heavier. Ben Te'o on the other hand... :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So basically six or seven kilos would be the max he needs. It's interesting to note that Noel Reid isn't much heavier. Ben Te'o on the other hand... :eek:

Ringrose needs to go on the scones with jam and cream diet that Te'o is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Ben togs out big alright, Ringtone looks like a SCT player beside him, not downing the lad..... and yes some of those schools players are big lads.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    90kg is too light for a midfielder as tall as Ringrose. BOD was heavier and shorter. Some people have compared Ringrose to Conrad Smith and they do have similar builds but Smith has 5 or 6kg on him.

As others have mentioned, he is young and will grow/develop over the next couple of years. I suppose the question is, should he bulk up drastically in the offseason this year or let it happen over the next couple of years?

Yeah but Ringrose is much faster than Conrad Smith. Like Greenwood said after the match Ringrose's pace and evasiveness allow him to punch above his weight because defenders are scared of getting burnt and stand off a bit

If Ringrose had a manicured beard, a hoop hole in his earlobe, unquestionable taste in coffee, one summer building shelters in Nairobi, a tattoo of something pop culturesque, an all weather scarf and a sold pair of Sandals, .ak would be completely all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Who wouldn't, in fairness?

Judging by the size and weight of other Leinster backs, Ringrose doesn't have a lot more bulking up to do.

Player|Height (m)|Weight (Kg)
    Garry Ringrose|1.85|89
    Noel Reid|1.85|90
    Rob Kearney|1.85|95
    Zane Kirchner|1.85|95
    Luke FitzGerald|1.85|98
    Ben Te'o|1.88|104

Well Reid is small. There's massive difference 6 or 7 kgs for a back. Look at the size of Kearney or Fitzy compared to ringrose, they're beasts compared to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Well Reid is small. There's massive difference 6 or 7 kgs for a back. Look at the size of Kearney or Fitzy compared to ringrose, they're beasts compared to him.
    They're all the same height except for Te'o, who's got an extra inch or so on the others.

Six or seven kilos is about 6% extra body mass. It's not a massive amount and Noel Reid is managing quite well without it. Jonny Sexton is the same height as Te'o and weighs 92Kg. I wouldn't think there's much need for Ringrose to add too much extra bulk. His skillset would be better carrying as little extra as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Weight tells you very little, not really worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Noel Reid is an absolute pansy in contact though. Imagine Noel Reid at 12 for Ireland! Although in fairness that has less to do with kg's and more to do with technique etc. I would expect Ringrose to move up another 5kg in the next year or so. I don't think its a major issue but at the same time I think he needs it in those close contact quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Yes, but as defence coaches/ analysts get more familiar with Ringtones skillset{ extensive as it is}, a bit more bulk/ weight will carry him thru the kind of hits that modern centres deliver week in.

Advertisement