Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leinster vs Bath 14th jan 5:30 Rds/sky sports

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't see that coming :D

Should have played the "2nd team" in all the European games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭A-Train

Just out after the match delighted with that! Completely wrote off before hand, Moloney, Luke McGrath and Ringrose were great! Ringrose still not found out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A proud performance, the younger squad members fully vindicated their selection, and how...

Pride a long way to being restored, hopefully the worst of times are over and confidence and momentum will build

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well, well done lads, you must be pleased with that! I'll get the downer out of the way first, and that is that I don't think Madigan had a particulary flash game. In all honesty, provided the new back-up 10 to Sexton can kick his points close to as well as Ian, he won't be too missed.

The rest is pretty much all positive. None of the new lads let the side down, but for a bit of glue that held the side together and I thought had a very strong game, I'll go with Ruddock. Also, VDF is getting more than touch a of the McCaw about him with those borderline plays at critical moments that somehow the refs miss...

Enjoy the Dublin/Leinster night, I wouldn't have minded at all watching that at the RDS alongside molloy and the lads and stuffing myself with those vodka jellies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Also, VDF is getting more than touch a of the McCaw about him with those borderline plays at critical moments that somehow the refs miss...

and he does it in a bright red scrum cap, like not difficult to miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I was 100% wrong and delighted to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Also, VDF is getting more than touch a of the McCaw about him with those borderline plays at critical moments that somehow the refs miss...

I can't decide which is a bigger compliment.

Swiwi saying that VFF is a little McCaw, or Pope saying Ringrose is Conrad Smith like. VDF to me is Leinster's mos valuable young player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

FairPlay to the young lads - the future doesn't look too dark

errlloyd wrote: »
    I can't decide which is a bigger compliment.

Swiwi saying that VFF is a little McCaw, or Pope saying Ringrose is Conrad Smith like. VDF to me is Leinster's mos valuable young player.

Swiwi of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That score line is kind to Bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A big wake up call to those running Leinster and the contract decision makers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    I was 100% wrong and delighted to have been.

One day, molloy, you'll have the wisdom that some of us have.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

The only thing I can think of is that today highlighted 2 things to me for sure.

1: Madigan need to get out of the province for a while and learn his trade somewhere else.

2: Moore didn't improve the scrum when he came on and doesn't offer as much as Furlong in the loose. Furlong is now my first choice Leinster tighthead.

Buer wrote: »
    One day, molloy, you'll have the wisdom that some of us have.

Ah now Buer, the fact molloy can admit he's wrong shows us he's wise beyond his years. You don't see that often in a 19 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There were more than a couple of guys playing for the As today who wI'll be just as good as well, IMO. We'll see that during the 6 Nations

For the rest of the season I would like to see us picking Ringrose at the expense of Te'o, Furlong at the expense of Moore and Marsh at the expense of Madigan. At least some of the time if not most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    All ill say is, George Who?

Ford. The lad who outplayed his opposite number.

In all seriousness, fantastic performance from the younger lads but also huge credit to the older guys like Kirchner who was really aggressive and assured in his play. Ruddock was everywhere too, taking on a huge amount of slow ball and donkey work up front.

Madigan, unfortunately, just isn't a high quality outhalf. Never has been and never will be. He'll be important always to his team as an option due to his consistent kicking and versatility but he just doesn't have the wherewithal to run a game. His mistakes started with a poor pass in his own half and pretty much continued until the closing minutes when he was moved to 12.

It's important we give Marsh and/or Byrne a bit of pitch time during the 6N now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Stheno wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

I just think it is time to refrain from offering massive contracts to the moderately performing household names and start looking to the future.

Let's build a new dynasty.

There were more than a couple of guys playing for the As today who wI'll be just as good as well, IMO. We'll see that during the 6 Nations

For the rest of the season I would like to see us picking Ringrose at the expense of Te'o, Furlong at the expense of Moore and Marsh at the expense of Madigan. At least some of the time if not most of the time.

Think id just like us to win the pro12 personally, with whoever is available to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I agree with Ringrose and Furlong but leaving Madigan out of the 23 is a risky play. I think you risk spoiling the atmosphere a bit by doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who played where exactly when Sexton came on for Nacewa?

My guess is Madigan went to fullback. Nacewa was at fullback and Ringrose was on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Would you not just play Teo and Ringrose? I think it's pretty clear they are our best partnership. Teo, Ringrose, the front row, and Mccarthy were all magnificent today.

10. Sexton
    11. Kearney
    12. Reid
    13. Te'o
    14. Ringrose
    15. Madigan

AFAIK

Hagz wrote: »
    I agree with Ringrose and Furlong but leaving Madigan out of the 23 is a risky play. I think you risk spoiling the atmosphere a bit by doing that.

Fair point.

At least during the 6 Nations I'd prefer to have Madigan on the bench (if available) rather than starting.

Madigan, unfortunately, just isn't a high quality outhalf. Never has been and never will be. He'll be important always to his team as an option due to his consistent kicking and versatility but he just doesn't have the wherewithal to run a game. His mistakes started with a poor pass in his own half and pretty much continued until the closing minutes when he was moved to 12.

For me, the best long-term plan for Madigan at Bordeaux is to move back to 15. He can kick from there, he can join the line as a 2nd pivot, he can offer a kicking option on the blindside or out the back. He's not great in the air but that may be less of a concern in the Top 14, he's at least pretty decent in coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Ford. The lad who outplayed his opposite number.

In all seriousness, fantastic performance from the younger lads but also huge credit to the older guys like Kirchner who was really aggressive and assured in his play. Ruddock was everywhere too, taking on a huge amount of slow ball and donkey work up front.

It's important we give Marsh and/or Byrne a bit of pitch time during the 6N now.

I think it's easier to play Marsh or Byrne if McFadden is on the field. Marsh earned the chance play a few more games at the start of the season.

After Teo's first game at 12 I said he looked lost playing there. I can't believe how much more natural he looked at 12 tonight. Having him playing regularly there during the next few months will be great for developing ringrose.

I hope himself or vdf aren't too involved with Ireland and get to continue their form until the end of the season

Fair point.

At least during the 6 Nations I'd prefer to have Madigan on the bench (if available) rather than starting.

Marsh definitley needs to be getting more than 20min bites. Sticky situation but there's always the off chance that Madigan could get the call up to the 6N squad. That would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I just think it is time to refrain from offering massive contracts to the moderately performing household names and start looking to the future.

Let's build a new dynasty.

Why is it a wake up call then? Who have they offered massive contracts to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Luke McGrath was very solid tonight. His passing isn't as erratic as it was last season and his decision making on when to carry the ball is quite good. Compare that to Reddan who looked very rushed at times and took the wrong option. I hope we're now viewing McGrath as our starting scrum half.

Advertisement