Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid stuff my dog barks at!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

When I was a kid, our old family dog would bark and jump at the back door about 5 minutes before one of the family members would come home. He knew they were coming home before they were even near the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When I was a kid, our old family dog would bark and jump at the back door about 5 minutes before one of the family members would come home. He knew they were coming home before they were even near the door.
    This phenomenon was looked into. Turns out the dog just has a good internal clock and know their masters schedule. Once you move that schedule they haven't a clue when you'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

I've a Jack Russell who barks at random stuff on the tv; horses, dogs but most unusually anyone who isn't white Caucasian. He's basically racist. He even goes behind the tv to have a look.

With certain ads, the Specsavers sheepdog ad, he hears the music and charges in from the other room to bark at the tv.

Mad yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I live in a third floor apartment and work from home. My fiance usually gets home around 5:30pm...usually around 5:20 our dog hops on the couch to look out the window. She can't tell by the car but over in the US when you lock your car and the horn makes a noise. She knows that noise. When she hears it, she'll start her little cry. When she sees my fiance walk around the corner she loses her sh1t.

Meanwhile, when she was a bit younger, I said it must be nice to get that kind of reaction. My fiance said if I left she would react the same way. So, I went out for a walk for a few minutes. When I came back in, she got into a pouncing position and started to bark at me. Little c*nt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

So I got a dog and he's lovely partially because he's stupid so I want to hear about the stupid stuff your dog barks at my list so far
    Inmate objects are funniest

A bin bag
    A couch
    The moon
    Slippers

How do you know he's barking at the moon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

One of mine loses her rag if she sees a balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

One howls at the end of Law and Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I once seen a dog being walked on a fairly busy street ignoring all foot traffic until it spotted a postman and went barking mad. Postman casually looks at the dog in passing and says "They always know". Comment was met with rings of laughter from all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

The Hoover - He hates it and will bite it and growl at it when its on or off. If I've the hairdryer going, he'll bark and bark at me until I 'dry' him with it. He barks at his arse when he farts. He used to bark at your one Niamh in Fair City. He barks at his doggy brother when he farts.

He basically just likes to bark at everything and nothing. Noisy hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Awwww I only heard my dog bark for the first time the other day. He barked at a very beautiful collie puppy who was across the roads from him. He barks like a girl doggy tho so it's probably best he doesn't do it often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

our front door when it opens, even when its us going in!

I've a Jack Russell who barks at random stuff on the tv; horses, dogs but most unusually anyone who isn't white Caucasian. He's basically racist. He even goes behind the tv to have a look.

With certain ads, the Specsavers sheepdog ad, he hears the music and charges in from the other room to bark at the tv.

My dog is the exact same bar the racist part....I think. Barks at anything with 4 legs on TV. Could even be animated.

He could be out the back garden and the whistle alone at the start of that specsavers ad would have him sprinting to the sitting room ready to give out to the TV sheep. The TV is next to the front window so he'd have a look outside the way yours goes in behind. In some ways he's smart but when he's stupid he's retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A little off topic, but my dog only barks in her sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

How do you know he's barking at the moon?

He climbs the couch and looks up at it and starts barking he goes outside and then barks some more then back in this goes on for about 20 Mins not sure why it's only certain times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My dog sings (howls) to the angelus.

There's a god botherer in every house I guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The foxy kid from 2 doors down, like a proper stand, stare and bark. Just that one kid though.

"Obrigada". Not obrigado, or obrigad. Just that exact word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

razorblunt wrote: »
    The foxy kid from 2 doors down, like a proper stand, stare and bark. Just that one kid though.

"Obrigada". Not obrigado, or obrigad. Just that exact word.
    Is your dog a portuguese woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My two bark & basically go ape-shit if they hear motorcycles, they think it's the lads coming to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Doesn't do it anymore but my dog used to bark at the local church bells. We started calling him the heretic puppy until he stopped.

These days he barks at horses on the telly, not other dogs though; just horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

ScumLord wrote: »
    This phenomenon was looked into. Turns out the dog just has a good internal clock and know their masters schedule. Once you move that schedule they haven't a clue when you'll be back.

Yea in this case I don't think it was that. I wasn't saying he was psychic or anything :) it's hard to explain the layout of our house but this happened when he was in the back garden. In order to get to our front door, you had to walk on a path that was parallel to our garden but still quite some distance away, 4 or 5 other gardens with high walls and then around to the front of the house. I guess he knew our footsteps or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My dog sings (howls) to the angelus.

There's a god botherer in every house I guess :rolleyes:

Dat's a good Catholic dog you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

One of mine goes ape sh1t crazy when that specsavers add with the old farmer and the sheep. Barks her head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My old collie, now gone to doggie heaven at the ripe old age of 15, bless her.. Her hobby was barking At night she would stay awake and BARK. No real reason. Drove me crazy so then I slept them together where I could barely hear them, with a hay nest. A I could still just hear them it amazed me that she almost never barked there, so just wanted an audience? My wee dog rarely barks thankfully. Gets excited when we play ball and shows off barking at the post lady IF I have had to go and sign for something.. oh and I have trained her to bark at magpies but she stops when I tell her. BUT she is a ....... whiner! The sounds would break the heart of God. When I am going out.. oh MY!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My cousin had a dog that would bark at itself. They live up on a hill overlooking a town and across from them there's a big apartment block. So the dog would sit out front of the house and bark, about 2 seconds later it's bark would echo off the apartments the dog would hear it's own bark and then bark again. This would go on for several hours at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

My dog Fudge has to go outside for a bit of barking after she gets fed. The dogs get fed late at night so it's usually dark. She doesn't bark during the day, just has to go out and tell the neighbourhood that she got fed!

And on the subjuct of farts, she usually does SBDs but on the odd occasion it makes a niose she jumps up, looks behind as if to say "what the feck was that" and runs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Bob used to bark at people walking on the street outside, cars driving on the road outside, people daring to come into his driveway, people daring to go into the neighbours driveways...

He's gone deaf now so doesn't hear any of it any more, and is a lovely happy quiet dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Ralph was barking at his reflection in the attic window yesterday. then shat himself when we tilted it.
    he must of thought the dog moved!!

please note, Ralph is a rottweiler.

He's meant to protect me god damit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

well its been a while but our little lad had to be put to sleep. we waited a while and got another girl she is stupider that he was bless her.
    she at least though barks at things like crows, magpies, fox howling
    the tv if animals come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Sorry to hear that.This is being contemplated in our house currently.Poor girl is 16 and not well with several health issues.

I can see your dog barking at gods slippers now, and his bin bags, and his couch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The door bell sends my 2 demented. One will go mad if you move your feet. The other is generally too lazy to bark.

Advertisement