Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Couldn't log in there for the last few days, 196 is doomed now anyway. Glad for Stipe wanted him to get the shot with a proper camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They should bring forward Jon Jones fight for 196 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Gamb!t wrote: »

JJ or DC would be no where near the right weight at the moment for this to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Between Jones bulking up with weights and DC bulked up from chicken, they will probably both need more time to make weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Where's Cowboy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

dave1982 wrote: »
    Think they need a title fight as card was sold as a title event?

yeah most PPV cards need to be sold on its title fight cards unless there is a superfight or comeback for a big name.
    Haha was actually thinking he'd want move fight forward with RDA :D

I don't think Conor would do that to the fans who have already planned 197 trips. I suppose same idea for RDA and (accordign to Conor) he can't afford to loose any more fans :D

I sent Artem Lobov a msg on twitter telling him I was surprised he's not offered to move upto HW and save the main card since hes on the card anyway. He liked it.....thats the penny dropped, expect an announcement soon :D
    weemcd wrote: »
    Where's Cowboy?

He's already booked to headline an event shortly after. I can't foresee UFC scraping 1 main event to save another. Funny reading through twitter last night, some people's suggestions are completely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jones has said he'll fight Stipe, if it's for the belt.

Hes on the wind up teasing as usual I'd say,considering he didnt want to fight chael on short notice no chance hes fighting stipe,be cool if he did fight miocic for an interim belt and winner faced werdum,then goes back and beats dc inbetween.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/01/26/24033/comedian_bids_to_become_a_cage_fighter

I like my standup comedy but Ive not heard of this fella :D He's taking part in a "wimp 2 warrior" tv show which I think is being run(at least partly) out of SBG so I'm sure when it airs some of us will be watching

Comedian Bryan Lacey is retraining… as a cage fighter.
    The circuit stand-up has signed up for a reality show called Wimp 2 Warrior: The Ultimate Human Experiment, which involves an intense six-month training programme in mixed martial arts.
    At the end of the camp, the new fighters will step into the cage for their first MMA bout.
    The training is filmed for an online show, which has run in Australia for four years and is now in talks to find a broadcast home as it launches in the UK, Ireland and America, too.
    Lacey is a long-term fan of the sport and hosts a podcast chatting to fellow fans and fighters.
    He spotted a call for volunteers and emailed explaining ‘how the lifestyle of a comic isn’t the healthiest’ and whether that would qualify him for a reinvention.
    ‘I did a three-hour try out which was horrific,’ he said. ‘It almost killed me. I was basically a Dalek for a week as my legs hurt so much I couldn’t get upstairs! A couple of weeks later they got in touch to say I had made it on the show.
    ‘Because it all happened quite quickly, I didn’t really have time to think about it but deep down, in a weird way, it has always been something I’d wanted to try. Not sure why, maybe because I watch so much of it and because I talk to the fighters its something that I wondered if I’d ever be able to do…..a bit like comedy really!
    ‘Also, on a more physical note, I have got to the point where I am the unhealthiest I have ever been. Comedy is the greatest job in the world but it can lead to an expanding waistline and a shortening lifeline. I was thinking of what to do to turn that around for 2016 and this arrived!’
    And the 36-year-old joked: ‘There are possibly a few deeper reasons for taking this on: early mid-life crisis, I’m slightly mad or I’m looking for another way to feed my constant need for attention.’
    Lacey started his training two weeks ago, requiring 4.30am starts to get to gym for 6am – a tough call if he doesn’t get back from a gig until 1am.
    ‘It’s hard,’ he admitted. ‘The mixed martial arts stuff is fun – apart from getting punched in the face at 6am – but the strength and conditioning programme they have us on is brutal! Trying to switch my body from lifting an SM58 microphone to Squatting weights hasn’t been a pretty transition.’
    Lacey says that he has mixed feelings about the fight itself. ‘Some days I look forward to my 15 minutes of glory but then I think what if I get smashed in the first round in front of my family and friends! It doesn’t help that my very supportive friends keep sending me videos of fighters losing teeth and getting knocked out to spur me on.’
    ‘What I think, though, is that the "journey" will be the real test and the fight will just be a small (and painful) part of that. I’ve already in just two weeks tested myself physically and mentally more than I have in the last eight years.
    ‘It’s also quite inspiring seeing the other people around me with all different backgrounds and many different reasons for doing this. Some want to get fit, some want to try the sport but some have other things going on in their lives and this is a vehicle for turning that corner and getting their lives back on track.’
    ‘All in all - it hurts, I’m not particularly good at it, I’m too old but I bloody love it!’
    He is just the latest circuit comic to embark on a tough physical challenge; following The Westling at Edinburgh and Mickey D taking part in the Channel 4 reality show SAS: Who Dares Wins. And on February 7, 20 stand-ups are taking part in a charity boxing match in Blyth, Northumberland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Think Mellor mentioned bout that show coming here. He has some involvement with it on oz...I think

• Advertisement

Two of my mates done the try outs on Sunday, hopefully they get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Devastator wrote: »
    http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/01/26/24033/comedian_bids_to_become_a_cage_fighter

I like my standup comedy but Ive not heard of this fella :D He's taking part in a "wimp 2 warrior" tv show which I think is being run(at least partly) out of SBG so I'm sure when it airs some of us will be watching

That lad is taking part in the UK one which is in its third week of the 6 month training camp. He is doing a weekly video blog documenting the training. I was at the tryouts on Sunday morning for the Irish version which is likely to start in March at some stage. It will be about 2 or 3 weeks before they make their selections for participants on the Irish one. Tryouts were up in SBG on the Naas Road.

Gamebred wrote: »
    JJ or DC would be no where near the right weight at the moment for this to work.
    HW shouldnt be a problem then.

HW shouldnt be a problem then.

More chance of elvis coming back from the dead than Jones and dc fighting at heavy weight in 12 days.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    That lad is taking part in the UK one which is in its third week of the 6 month training camp. He is doing a weekly video blog documenting the training. I was at the tryouts on Sunday morning for the Irish version which is likely to start in March at some stage. It will be about 2 or 3 weeks before they make their selections for participants on the Irish one. Tryouts were up in SBG on the Naas Road.

Oh right, didn't realise there were 2. I just remember seeing a post/picture from Kavanagh on twitter a few days ago and thought it was the only one. Good luck getting through

Gamebred wrote: »
    More chance of elvis coming back from the dead than Jones and dc fighting at heavy weight in 12 days.
    Sorry didnt mean for DC but Miocic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Oh right, didn't realise there were 2. I just remember seeing a post/picture from Kavanagh on twitter a few days ago and thought it was the only one. Good luck getting through

Cheers man. Yeah it's a concept that started in Australia by an English guy who lives over there. They have had 4 seasons of it in Oz and now they've brought it to the UK and Ireland. Like I said, the UK is a good few months ahead of the Irish one. It's basically MMA for the normal Joe Soap, like one of those couch to 5k training things. I believe Brad Picket is the main coach doing the UK one.

yeah THE belt, said not if it was interim :D

Its a smart move from Jones after getting blamed on the cancellation of 151. Now whenever someone tries to throw 151 at him he can just say he tried to save the 196 PPV.

Anyway, seems like the card is staying as it is now & Kevin Iole said the card was no longer PPV & would be on fox sports.
    Cheers man. Yeah it's a concept that started in Australia by an English guy who lives over there. They have had 4 seasons of it in Oz and now they've brought it to the UK and Ireland. Like I said, the UK is a good few months ahead of the Irish one. It's basically MMA for the normal Joe Soap, like one of those couch to 5k training things. I believe Brad Picket is the main coach doing the UK one.

Sounds like a good idea. I might see if any of the Aus episodes are online. There was a great show on BBC(I think) years ago called "last man standing" they got 6 ordinary blokes(who kept in shape) but brought them all over the world in put them in different types of fights. There was stick fighting, some crazy African fighting/wrestling and all sorts. I only remember 1 series of it, probably a bit brutal for bbc :rolleyes: as there were a couple of bad injuries but it was good to see how normal enough fellas dealt with getting in fights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What channel is the uk version on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson to headline UFC 196 on FOX Sports 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All together I think there is 5 now.
    Sydney, UK, with Melbourne Ireland and USA startign this year.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What channel is the uk version on?
    I doubt it's airing yet. They still have months to go until finale. Maybe May/June. They it'll need to be edited into a 6 part TV-show.
    Sounds like a good idea. I might see if any of the Aus episodes are online
    The first season in Aus ran as a sort of concept pilot. 15min webisode type thing. Episodes are available here. It wasn't until the next year that it ran as a proper tv-show. Aired last december on Fox Sports, not sure if it's available online

Ferguson-Johnson off the 197 card, Johnson is injured. Rumours that Khabib will comeback to fight Ferguson in April. Personally I would love to see Nate Diaz step in for Johnson. That would be an important fight in the LW division plus it keeps 2 ranked LW fighters on the same card should a backup be needed for any reason(Not scudding anything! lol)

BJ Penn has apparently said his comeback fight is on the 197 card! Opponent has been made and will be announced soon, seen few rumours of Siver. I know before his retirement he had some real bad performances but I am still very excited to see BJ fight live, if it happens. He's one of my all time favorite fighters, I suppose most fans are probably of the same opinion though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Reebok got Schaub banned from UFC Now on fightpass because he keeps ****ting on the clothing line and fighter pay on his and Rogans podcasts.

Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson to headline UFC 196 on FOX Sports 1

What happens when Hendricks misses weight? Should have let Diaz fight Pettis like he asked, not excited about this at all Hendricks is a joke.

197 is gearing up to be unreal, especially if Khabib gets on the card. BJ for his own safety should be allowed fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pretty sure they're targetting Khabib ve Ferguson for sometime in April not for 197, would be very surprised if Khabib was ready to fight in early March.

Personally(& its nothing to do with going to 197,swear lol), I think its foolish of Ferguson to take on the Khabib fight in April. He wanted to fight by March latest because his wife(GF,partner) is due to give birth in April. So he could have an interuption to his training camp should he need to leave, if not the added stress may not suit him trying to get ready for a big fight. Secondly, he'll be off 1 of the biggest cards of the year, a PPV card with 2 of the most talked about(currently) UFC fighters in the world(Holm after KOing RR & obviously theres a lot of interest in Conor) and he'll now be on a fight night card if rumours are true. Lastly(that I can think of right now) he's doing all of this to take on a fighter with a history of pulling out of fights due to injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

wrote:
    Reebok got Schaub banned from UFC Now on fightpass because he keeps ****ting on the clothing line and fighter pay on his and Rogans podcasts.

This is the sort of thing that could bring the end of Joe Rogan in the ufc.
    Some top brass is going to ask Joe for a Kimmage style favour(BOD) i.e Joe not to do an interview with xyz and Rogan will feel compromised and refuse leading to tensions.
    Its not like Rogan is fully in love with them anyway and has touched on not minding if he was told he wasnt needed anymore. I think it would be a relief to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ASOT wrote: »
    What happens when Hendricks misses weight? Should have let Diaz fight Pettis like he asked, not excited about this at all Hendricks is a joke.

197 is gearing up to be unreal, especially if Khabib gets on the card. BJ for his own safety should be allowed fight again.

Hendricks is 183 lbs 2 weeks out so I don't see that happening. He looks in good shape to me.

I think he learned his lesson and he was punished for it. In fairness to him he's not the only fighter who has had trouble with his cut post IV ban. He was cutting the same way and balooning between camps for his whole career. At 32, his body just didn't have another massive cut in it and just gave out. I don't like the guy at all but I'm fairly certain he's gonna turn up or that's his career over.

Also Pettis and Diaz were offered the fight but they couldn't agree terms with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lukker- wrote: »

Also Pettis and Diaz were offered the fight but they couldn't agree terms with each other.

I'd really like to know more about that. Would be an excellent match up, WTF is going on there I wonder.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hendricks is 183 lbs 2 weeks out so I don't see that happening. He looks in good shape to me.

I think he learned his lesson and he was punished for it. In fairness to him he's not the only fighter who has had trouble with his cut post IV ban. He was cutting the same way and balooning between camps for his whole career. At 32, his body just didn't have another massive cut in it and just gave out. I don't like the guy at all but I'm fairly certain he's gonna turn up or that's his career over.

Yeah I had read a similar weight on twitter a few nights ago so it sounds like he's doing a better cut. I don't like him either. He's cut his career short by getting so badly out of shape between fights. I think he's just got a really bad diet.

Did you see the video interview of him a few days ago talking about his high school(or possibly college) wrestling coaches catching him in the queue at mcdonalds when he was supposed to be cutting weight for a fight a few days later? It doesn't sound like he's ever taken his condition very seriously. He basically said he couldn't then go back near mcd's but changed to a pizza takeaway place instead afterwards:rolleyes:

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd really like to know more about that. Would be an excellent match up, WTF is going on there I wonder.

I imagine it went something like, Nate"I'll fight Pettis, I'll fight anyone. Give me a fight at 196"
    UFC/Dana"Wow thanks Nate, good man, heres the fight contract"
    Nate "WHHHOOOOAAAAA homie whats this ****? I'm not taking that chicken feed BS, I want a new contract worth 10 times my contract or I;m not helping you out!"
    Dana"FU! Bye"

:D

I do like Nate but he's such a tool at times! He posted an empty bad of weed on twitter earlier with a message to the shop saying he was disappointed they didn't have a shop close to where he was! :rolleyes: Some Norbert at USADA's got him a surprize out of competition for tomorrow probably now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement