Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

It doesn't look good when they aren't looking for stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I would think there is a lot more effort put in to the likes of the Ballyheigue Festival at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

6 or 7 weeks out from it, it dosent look good at all, they normally even talk up the likes of the amusements and circus as things they are offering but nothing dosent look good

The community spirit bit has been driven out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭traleelad2

i paid €43 each for revival tickets including the booking fee. Tralee locals do not take kindly to being asked to pay for rose festival events 🤣

heard Elverys are to take over old Dunne Stores premises in town, it will double as like a central hub for online sales also

• Advertisement

Looks like the beginning of the end for the festival to be fair had a gander around the website and fb page. The girls competition side seems to be working away but there’s very little in terms of street entertainment which is a pity. True for another poster above no call for volunteers or I don’t see any reference to market stalls either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I wouldn't mind paying for entertainment if its actually good! I would love to go to the one in Listowel, love to see the Stunning again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yeah that was mentioned on here a while back. No confirmation if its true yet.

I just read on Instagram that Croi is closing for good. I haven't been there before, but always heard it was a nice place to eat. Sad to hear of it closing.

That’s a real pity. Lovely spot it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

A shame. Its like since they moved from the Square to Princes St, they became a little forgotten about. No doubt 2 years of pandemic restrictions didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭phormium

That is a pity, I've been there a few times and it's good but maybe too good! The amount of people in Tralee on any given night who want that standard of food is small and has always been the same problem for many years now in this town. Lots of people looking for a nice restaurant for a special occasion meal but unfortunately going once a year or so is not going to keep a business going.

There are just so many options out there now throwing out the same old bought in desserts etc for cheaper, every menu is practically the same and the food is mediocre with massive portions but that's what the public wants and all they are prepared to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sad but true, that location has always been cursed also. It's just too big. I feel sorry for Noel, he put his heart and soul into the place. It must be tiring having to constantly innovate. It's sad that medium-well steak and chips is about the best you can hope for in Tralee now.

I think there is definitely a niche for high quality food in Tralee but in a much smaller setting where they don't have the same overheads. The little cheese shop used to run a pop-up restaurant every so often where Gorka Arieta was the guest chef. It was some of the best food I have ever tasted and it was always full. I'm sure we'll see Noel back in some new venture in the future.

I actually don't think there is any commerially viable option in Tralee for quality food, there isn't enough of a population looking for it. Same way as I don't think Tralee could ever be a runner for a English Market type food market, it's continually suggested yet there isn't the clientele to buy that sort of stuff, the market by the Brandon finds it even hard to keep traders, there has been quite a few come and gone there.

I have sold at markets in Kerry and Galway and it's a hell of a different customer and that's fine, horses for courses and all that but same way you won't find a top car dealership in an area that doesn't buy that sort of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

DV8 have reopened their much larger store now incorporating the old Golden Discs unit.

Also, I'm very impressed with the new McElligots Funeral Home building in Boherbee. Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Really? Looks like a place in an industrial strip mall. Can one park at the electrician's if there's a big crowd for the wake? And, what's that on the right with what looks like a big chimney (*shudder*) on the building?

I mean, I guess perhaps if the original was worse, this is an improvement, but one would want, you know, calming nice things around a funeral home. Trees, grass, recycling centers...

Guessing your going to Hogans or Gleasures so 🤣

Yeah you're probably right although the cheese shop seems to be doing well with high-end produce and a regular clientele. I did hear a rumour recently and I don't know how it could be true that a certain restaurant in Tralee (not Croi) recieved a near €5k electricity bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If those kind of bills keep coming, we're going to see a lot more places shutting down.

Kerry sushi have closed their place in Caherina village. I think they are still running the delivery service.

• Advertisement

I saw that. They weren't open there very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The restaurant business is a very difficult one to succeed in. I wonder what attracts people into it.

Personal dream I think for many, the attention/plaudits/feeling of achievement and I mean all those in the best possible way, not in a vain way but lots of people know they can produce the stuff and want it acknowledged but unfortunately it's a very hard way to make money!

My family had a 'good' restaurant many many years ago, mentioned in Michelin Guide when that was hardly even a thing here, many newspaper reviews etc but terrible hard work for very little money, my father always said he would make more money for less work if he converted it to a burger joint which would have worked well for the location however my mother wouldn't hear of it, liked the whole vibe of owning the good restaurant :)

I can't believe its the 4th of July and we still have not had any confirmation of what is going on during the Rose of Tralee festival! Its on in just over a month and not a thing mentioned apart from the ball and actual tv broadcast! They obviously don't really plan on doing much this year.

I noticed that 'Feile na Blath' wasn't on this year either. That was always a lovely day down in the town park. It was always on around Father's day in June time. Such a shame nothing seems to be planned this year at all.

That park festival is actually taking place during the rose of Tralee dates. I saw that on Facebook recently when searching for festival info. It looks like it’s run separately cause there no real connection to or mention of the rose on the Facebook page or in the details.

its a real shame there’s nothing at all planned I think if there was we’d have heard by now.

At least that's something! I don't think its ever been announced this late? I'm not expecting much in the way of entertainment! No doubt the amusements will be here.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Fitting out of the old Bridge St Dunnes has started.

It will be good to see that building finally occupied again! Such a waste!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Speaking of things underway, or not, the Bridge Inn redevelopment seems to have ground to a halt, again, these past several weeks. I wonder what they're at..?

• Advertisement

Advertisement