Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Yes, jobs are welcome, but are there any doctors, nurses and other medical staff being hired. If not, it's just another layer of non essential staff draining Health Department's scarce resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Doesn't look like it's anything other than a communications company.

The new Kerry team will support blue-chip American healthcare companies with administrative and clinical support services related to care activities and post-discharge management. The Tralee facility will also see teams provide the same support to Irish healthcare companies, with RelateCare also planning to employ Irish-speaking workers from nearby Corca Dhuibhne Gaeltacht.

Seems mostly they'll be answering calls from US insurance company customers. As one of those for most of my life, to be specific, they'll be denying claims for a living.

That's what I thought. I wonder if they've received any financial incentive from our Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment?

It's better salaries and more opportunities for nurses, doctors and other health care professionals we need; more than claims adjusters for American Insurance companies - a country that has one of the worst health services in the world for its ordinary citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'm surprised (or maybe not) at some of the cynicism here. They are creating jobs and providing salaries for 100s of people in an often overlooked county for job creation. That's surely a positive? It's not this company's responsibility to fix Ireland's healthcare waiting lists or failures. If it was Fexco announcing the jobs would it be their fault bank branches are closing or if Kerry Group announced the jobs, would it be their fault your weekly grocery bill is going up. Real issues but unrelated to the services these companies provide. Should Liebherr shut down because they export their cranes beyond Kerry and therefore not of benefit to the locals?

There are genuine issues with our health services but somehow tying this company in as being a contributory factor or that its presence in Tralee is not good enough if it doesn't mean more doctors and nurses for the county is a completely disingenuous and red herring of an argument.

Negative attitudes have held up the progress in this town and county for so long.....

It is a logical premise to raise issues of concern, and to address a query for a government decision.

Inconsequential sanctimony is tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I wonder what these claims assessors, etc, will be paid and if most of the positions are full time. I have worked in a similar capacity elsewhwere in the country where the pay and conditions of employment were dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

If we can't be happy about new jobs in Tralee we may as well give up because I've a feeling the towns going to need it for the inevitable recession and with the ROT not looking too hectic either bars and restaurants will need a good local trade

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭You the man

A lot of that type of sentiment pertaining to many things posted here by the 'resident' posters' your Lord..

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

How is a private, US company, who handle health insurance claims, a drain the HSE's scarce resources? And why would you employ a doctor or nurse in a call centre?

It's standard for almost any sized company to receive support in some form or another from the government, whether you are an SME getting funding or a multinational setting up in the industrial estate in Shannon.

I have no idea how you are linking this to the salary's of Doctors and nurses, unless you are worried about the Department of Enterprise taking money out the pockets of the Drs and nurses. It's like saying that the March cut in fuel prices took money off the Drs, the link at best, is tenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

This phaner internet alias doesn't seem to have read the article about the jobs created and if they were anyways curious, they could check the job postings and see what others have pointed out - this has zero to do with the public health system in Ireland and isn't anyways related at all.

It's just a very successful private Irish company bringing an incredible amount of jobs into Tralee and its environs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

Anyone know what kind of street entertainment is happening for this year’s festival??? Nothing online or on social media. Normally you’d at least know some of the bigger events at this stage. Have friends due to travel down but half afraid there will be nothing on when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Tralee has been a town ignored by private enterprise and those who wanted to set up have been refused by the powers that be to preserve their empires.

280 jobs plus ancillary services is a good thing for the town that has lost so many jobs in just the few years I'm living here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was asking the same thing last week. There's literally nothing announced yet and we are nearly at the end of June! I have a feeling it won't be too exciting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apparently Ballybeggan racecourse hasn't been sold. There are a good few shareholders and I think some want to sell but it definitely hasn't been sold.

I seen that in the paper yesterday, the coursing club are the largest shareholders and they said a sale hasn't gone through but they have been locked out

I have e a similar feeling, with the prices being charged for the rose ball, etc I suspect this year is about getting as much money as possible in and that means not spending money where possible

€200 a ticket is crazy for the ball! It was steep at €150, so an increase of €50 is nuts! You would have thought they would have got a better deal with the MTU sports hall as they had walked away from the Rose hotel & dome. I don't get what's going on at all. I really don't expect much out of this years festival!

€200 is a crazy price and I worry that people like families of roses who will feel they have to go will feel ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

A family-owned fast food restaurant in the west of Ireland has won the title of Ireland’s Best Burger 2022. Blue Thunder, in Claremorris, Co Mayo, topped the online poll in which 38,564 votes were cast by members of the public. More than 450 burger bars, cafes, restaurants and pubs entered the competition, which is part of National Burger Day, sponsored by Kepak.

Blue Thunder, which also has branches in Westport, Castlebar and Tralee,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

I heard there is nothing on after 7pm in the evening during festival week.

• Advertisement

If this is true we may not be talking about ROT next year

Did anyone really miss it the last 2 years? I don't think I really cared as much as I thought I would! Judging by the way its going this year, I can't see things lasting much longer. As sad as it is to say, but maybe it really is time to just end it. I was always a huge advocate for the festival, and had a lot of family history linked to it, as well as trying out for the Kerry rose myself, but I just can't really see a future for it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think it will carry on as long as the people in the "diaspora" want to participate in it. They're probably all keen enough to maintain this link to the "auld sod". I think all the far flung organisers who are responsible for choosing the candidates in their local areas are enthusiastic about it, or they wouldn't bother with the whole thing. They probably think that the Rose of Tralee is a bigger thing than the people here think it is. I remember walking through a local park in the UK Midlands years ago, and seeing a bunch of people taking part in a photo op, with a few girls wearing their Rose of Tralee garb. I imagined that that kind of thing was happening all over the planet.

I think the problem with the festival lies in Tralee with how it's organised, and who's involved in organising it. It seems a mess to me. I get the impression that all the hard work and enthusiasm is only seen outside Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think the pubs, restaurants and hotels will miss it to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I read in Kerrys Eye that Stoker's Lodge has applied to have its liquor licence renewed. Will be nice to see that place operating again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Without the big acts to attract the crowds the festival is finished. There just isn't the same kind appetite for the Rose competition anymore (for multiple reasons) . €200 for a ball in a fancy sports hall is an insult. Even the most die hard supporters are going to balk at that!

I know someone who went to the ball every year for a long time and they are not going to go now. A €50 increase is a lot. I would have expected they would have got a good enough deal with the college and not at the same high cost as the dome.

Wouldnt say i missed it but Tralee dosent have a lot going on that brings positive news and crowds, a lot of businesses do well and with the rose gone it'd be a step backwards

I used to think the same, but I'm not so sure anymore. Unless there's a major change to it soon, there won't be a choice! The week before the festival is on (12th & 13th Aug) there's a great line up of bands playing in Listowel for the Revival festival. Why can't we get that sort of thing here anymore?

Revival Music Festival | Listowel (revivalfestival.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I just had a quick look on the Rose of Tralee website, and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired! Very little in the way of information relating to the actual "festival". Tbh, it seems to be bearing more of a resemblance to a 1 day event than a festival at this stage. Are RTE even covering it this year I wonder. All seems very lacklustre.

Advertisement