Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Dunnes seem to be doing a great job, especially the NCR branch, but Horan's is good too. They are taken a lot of precautions. I have seen from Tesco in the UK, the customers are all congregating outside, in big groups. No co-ordination, and no cop on from the customers either...it works both ways!
    At least with Dunnes here, even if you have to queue outside, you have to keep a gap and they are being quite good at doing it.

Might stick to NCR from future, certainly wouldn't recommend Tesco from what I saw today. Would get over the queuing outside, what rush am I in these days!

I don't drive so a week's shop is awful to carry home, might end up getting them delivered eventually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

When is it likely the Government will announce an extension to the schools closure etc? The original date of the 29th is close now, no new date given yet. We all know this will go on a while longer, but I guess an indication would help somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The National Emergency Committee is meeting tomorrow, so presumably the extension and/or any additional measures will be announced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

They will probably say another week which will bring you into the Easter holidays, so you will be looking at another month at least.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They will probably say another week which will bring you into the Easter holidays, so you will be looking at another month at least.

I think it's safe to assume they won't reopen before May at the very earliest. And I think that would be an extremely optimistic outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Leo V is saying that we will be following the S Korean model of distance, isolation and tracing. No lockdown..yet.
    People who gathered in large groups in amenities didn't mean to , not realising that there would be so many...."we are doomed, I say" ,to borrow a quote from Frazier in Dad's Army.

Of course they never thought of going home on seeing the crowd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Leo V is saying that we will be following the S Korean model of distance, isolation and tracing. No lockdown..yet.
    People who gathered in large groups in amenities didn't mean to , not realising that there would be so many...."we are doomed, I say" ,to borrow a quote from Frazier in Dad's Army.

Of course they never thought of going home on seeing the crowd.

That's exactly what we did! We saw the crowd in the carpark in Banna, and we drove away. I did also hear that there was a crowd of people sat on the beach drinking and being rowdy, so probably another reason why the Gardaí were called.

What are the S. Korean rates like? are they managing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Quackster wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume they won't reopen before May at the very earliest. And I think that would be an extremely optimistic outcome.

One of the options is to not open before August..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

There might be mandatory procedures put in place in light of the emergency committee meeting ; restrictions on people walking in groups, shops enforcing 3 meter rule, garda monitoring behaviour to reduce chances of gatherings - basic things like that. The fact the a lot of people are not taking this dangerous, infectious disease seriously, and endangering the lives of others; it might be necessary to protect vulnerable people with hard, unpopular measures.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Definitely. Although I'm sure, if possible, they'd try to get sixth years back for a few weeks before the leaving cert.

If that goes ahead as planned...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That's exactly what we did! We saw the crowd in the carpark in Banna, and we drove away. I did also hear that there was a crowd of people sat on the beach drinking and being rowdy, so probably another reason why the Gardaí were called.

What are the S. Korean rates like? are they managing it?

Rates went out of control with patient 31.

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

Wow, that's crazy!:eek:
    It looks like the key to all this is mass testing, especially to people who have no symptoms, but not enough tests or resources to go around to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Adiboo wrote: »
    Has anyone been to main post office this morning or any shops? What can I expect today? Have not been to town in over a week.

Was in the GPO this afternoon - relatively empty. Only one person ahead of me and they now have a barrier keeping you a small distance from counter and the gap in the glass is taped over.

Saw groups of teenagers and pavees hanging around Dealz/Tesco as if nothing was going on at all.

There are now 12 cases of covid19 in Kerry unfortunately. There were 2 more deaths in Ireland, but I haven't as yet seen what part of country they were in.

An increase of 219 cases in Ireland. Bit of a jump...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

There are now 12 cases of covid19 in Kerry unfortunately. There were 2 more deaths in Ireland, but I haven't as yet seen what part of country they were in.

Both in the East, so presumably in Leinster.

That rumor about UHK is false so.

I think a bit of a spike will be more regular as these would be the results from when a surge of people started to get tested.

A spike before a level off hopefully.

kn wrote: »
    Was in the GPO this afternoon - relatively empty. Only one person ahead of me and they now have a barrier keeping you a small distance from counter and the gap in the glass is taped over.

Saw groups of teenagers and pavees hanging around Dealz/Tesco as if nothing was going on at all.

They will have to remove that centre portion with cards/phones/postage boxes in the post office. While standing at the counter there is definitely not any safe distance behind for people to get past to other counter/leave. I went the long way around so as not to pass by someone, only for him to stroll right behind me to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Watch that space I'd say..

Queue for MaccyD's today.... sometimes... just sometimes... you'd lose faith in humanity.
    https://www.facebook.com/377910049507672/posts/542698269695515/?funlid=ocYMEQtg5QqTC0pl&d=w&vh=e

Edit... apologies...it's been removed by the guy who shared it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

UK is gone into lockdown for three weeks so it going to be interesting what happens here now

Especially when this was reported last week

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-ireland-britain/irish-british-pms-pledge-to-align-closely-on-coronavirus-spokesman-idUKKBN2163Y3

Queue for MaccyD's today.... sometimes... just sometimes... you'd lose faith in humanity.
    https://www.facebook.com/377910049507672/posts/542698269695515/?funlid=ocYMEQtg5QqTC0pl&d=w&vh=e

Edit... apologies...it's been removed by the guy who shared it

I think RTE may have done a piece about it on the news from Dublin, which looked like it was ridiculous! Panic buying McDonalds like?? People need to get a grip!

UK is gone into lockdown for three weeks so it going to be interesting what happens here now

Especially when this was reported last week

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-ireland-britain/irish-british-pms-pledge-to-align-closely-on-coronavirus-spokesman-idUKKBN2163Y3

Its looking more likely it will happen here. Although Leo did dismiss that today, but more restrictions are meant to be announced tomorrow as far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its looking more likely it will happen here. Although Leo did dismiss that today, but more restrictions are meant to be announced tomorrow as far as I know?

I think he is going to be under pressure to change his stance on it now

Ya there is supposed to be a meeting tomorrow and we'll hear more then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

England have gotten to the party much later than we have so they have to push much harder now so as not to be overwhelmed. A situation like Italy is very likely there.
    Herd immunity won’t work in a situation like this where many people will become sick at the same time. Way more people will die needlessly because of it.
    Our system is running pretty much exactly as predicted according to the modeling from day one, and we are now getting to the stage where the figures from when the lockdown started last week will be accounted for and hopefully a trend for the flatter curve will be prevalent. There will indeed be huge pressure on the hospitals but hopefully manageable pressure. If not, then further restrictions are obviously necessary.
    We are ramping up testing also, so more people will obviously appear through this. Testing in the UK is not even close to what we are doing.
    If you look at the N.I versus the southern Irish figures this variation is obvious.
    It should be noted that the hospitals are really ramping up bed spaces and ICU alongside the testing stations being set up to account for the predicated levels.
    Our much more sparse population compared to Europe and the UK, alongside our earlier action in trying to get ahead will surely stand to us too.
    I would say there is a large amount of the population that have this, go untested, are asymptomatic but infectious, which leads to the very speedy spread.
    There is a huge amount of rubbish posted everywhere about this, and most people really have no idea what they are talking about.
    Get informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Up to last Sat approximately 5% of those tested were positive. There are 40,000 people waiting to be tested up to yesterday. If 5% of these test positive that will be 2,000 cases on top of the 1,100 we have already.

Our death rate so far is low compared to GB, but to keep it low everyone must follow the HSE recommendations, especially those on social distancing, hand washing, and avoiding unnecessary car journeys.

The government may decide not to follow the UK in declaring a national lockdown, but the more of us who STAY AT HOME except for essential shopping, the lower the death rate in Ireland will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Total LOCKDOWN will save lives

amadain wrote: »

No, in fact it could be quite the opposite.... lockdowns lead to spikes in infection when the general population reintegrates...
    the W.H.O. say no, the CMO in Ireland says no...the only people calling for it are Mary Lou McDonald and Ill informed Facebook "experts" .... think I'll look to the real experts tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

Do the people calling for a lockdown actually understand wha it actually means? It's not as easy as some think to just go ahead and do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

People can choose to stay at home, that in effect is lockdown, personal responsibility

Advertisement