Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

The amount of buildings for sale and and for rent on Denny Street is an awful pity, the town seems to be slowly dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

More bad news in the way I think.
    It seems Parafinn in abbey court will be closing in a few weeks, and Lifestyle are not renewing their lease in the Mall... lifestyle will be a big loss for that part of town imo

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

It seems Parafinn in abbey court will be closing in a few weeks, and Lifestyle are not renewing their lease in the Mall... lifestyle will be a big loss for that part of town imo

The revamped sports direct must be put an end to lifestyle and elverys in the town centre.
    That street is pretty much empty now.
    No pont having retail units in the denny site if you have to walk through a wasteland to get to them.
    Is it just that paraffin store or all?

The council really need to come up with some radical new ideas, rate breaks for a couple of years for new openings to allow them to get established or even something as simple as power washing the footpaths and enforcing dereliction notices. I see Vals has one on the door for a number of years. What do they do other than put that notice on the door?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

That’s desperate. This is awful news for the town. Abbey court rents are meant to be crazy. I know seamus o’Sullivan butchers pulled out of there years ago because of it. And now Matt the Butchers are next to move. That strip is going to empty fast.

I’m not a fan of the Lifestyle unit, it’s too small and not enough range. Its a pity they don’t take a bigger unit in the town centre. I don’t particularly like sports direct. I don’t find it in better value than the other sports shops, it’s impossible to get staff assistance if you want a size. The women’s range is tiny, there is so much men’s wear in there! Had a walk around it last week and I didn’t realise that Heatons homewear is still upstairs on top floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭adam88

The buildings in the town centre are too small for modern retail units. I like what they did with PTSB. Kept most of the facade but radically overhauled the interior. Lots could be done with the buildings in Tralee and still keep their original external design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭adam88

Also something else I heard lately is that a lot of the unite in Tralee would be closed a long time ago had they to pay a mortgage or rent on the buildings, think Hugh culloty, Fitzgerald’s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

ongarboy wrote: »

Let's hope so.
    Another person also suspected of having it is in Limerick Uni. Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

adam88 wrote: »
    Also something else I heard lately is that a lot of the unite in Tralee would be closed a long time ago had they to pay a mortgage or rent on the buildings, think Hugh culloty, Fitzgerald’s etc

You could say the same with pubs. The family owned and run pubs are still open but the rented one's collapsed like deck chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Where was the New Balance shoe factory in Tralee? Did that close in the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭StrikingOut

Adiboo wrote: »
    Where was the New Balance shoe factory in Tralee? Did that close in the 80s?

Down where the Marina Apartments are now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I never knew there was a New Balance factory in Tralee!??

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

Yeah, very late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s.

Yeah, very late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s.

Didn't know that, and I didn't live far from the Marina so not sure how I didn't ever know it! I only found out recently that there was a Wilson factory here too. Such a pity so many of them have gone now.

Didn't know that, and I didn't live far from the Marina so not sure how I didn't ever know it! I only found out recently that there was a Wilson factory here too. Such a pity so many of them have gone now.

The NB factory wasnt open very long if I remember correctly. You could get a pair for cost price if you called down there. There was a leather shoe factory there back in the day.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21255788-job-losses-tralee/

I only just saw it on here! Never heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Got one of my first pair of 'grown up' runners from the NB factory.
    Called down with me Da and departed with a box. Can't remember the bits in between as in if there was bartering or such.
    Remember passing the caravans on both sides of the canal and the smell of death most likely from the Tralee beef n lamb slaughter House..

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21255788-job-losses-tralee/

I only just saw it on here! Never heard of it before.

Its become quite a big brand again too. I am a big fan of their trainers especially!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lots of businesses have done a runner from Tralee over the years, but I didn't realise that one of them actually made runners.

• Advertisement

There was another shoe factory down the marina too right? Decades before New Balance? Did New Balance take over same building or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

There was another shoe factory down the marina too right? Decades before New Balance? Did New Balance take over same building or something?

"The boot factory" is what it was called locally

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Best chipper in the town? Just moved here today for Fas

HoggyRS wrote: »

The Green Rooster on Pembroke Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Best chipper has to be Kallie Kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rajas for chicken by 100 miles.

Green rooster for chips

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Best chipper has to be Kallie Kebabs

You had one job.

There's no such place :P

"The boot factory" is what it was called locally

Back in the protectionist era of the 1930's-60's when there was a duty on UK imports. With the ending of protectionism it went by the wayside.

Green Rooster aka as 'Jimmy Greaseys' for fish and chips. The place down the road from FAS at St Brendans does good meals as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

HoggyRS wrote: »

Listen up. For a Kebab, kaleli’s Kebab. For a burger, either New Yorkers, MJ’s Diner or the burger shack. For Chips, Quinlnas fish and chips by a country mile.

Advertisement