Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

uchimata83 wrote: »
    So far we have;

Fine Gael Brendan Griffin
    Fianna Fáil John Brassil
    Independent Michael Healy Rae
    Independent Danny Healy Rae
    Sinn Fein Pa Daly
    Fianna Fail Norma Moriarty
    Fianna Fail Norma Foley
    Green Party Cleo Murphy
    Aontu Sonny Foran

I doubt labour will be running anyone at this stage, there may be a few independents join. I suspect FF have eyes on Martin Ferris's seat and DHR has done himself no favours either since joining the dail.

I've never even heard of Cleo Murphy before this morning.

I believe she ran in the Kenmare District during the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It looks as though that frozen yoghurt place 'Yogoland' in Rock street has closed down. I have been meaning to go in there since it opened but just kept forgetting.

Rock St. in my opinion is a services or secondary retail street that only locals or people with business to do on the street would go to this area. Opening a frozen yogurt (or the also failed pizza place) on such a street is financial suicide. Hardly any tourist or casual passerby (that these type of businesses rely on) is ever going to walk up this street so I felt the writing was on the wall from the get go. I'm sorry to see any business fail but you wonder what market research is done in advance of opening such hospitality type ventures in these locations as the operators surely take a massive financial hit when they go belly up?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

ongarboy wrote: »
    Rock St. in my opinion is a services or secondary retail street that only locals or people with business to do on the street would go to this area. Opening a frozen yogurt (or the also failed pizza place) on such a street is financial suicide. Hardly any tourist or casual passerby (that these type of businesses rely on) is ever going to walk up this street so I felt the writing was on the wall from the get go. I'm sorry to see any business fail but you wonder what market research is done in advance of opening such hospitality type ventures in these locations as the operators surely take a massive financial hit when they go belly up?

I agree but its impossible for them to open in the mall due to the reckless rents and castle street heading toward Moyderwell is like death valley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

She's first out on the canvass today.

DHR has been canvasing around since the weekend, and Martin and Pa have been hitting the non Tralee areas of Kerry for a few weeks now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

g1983d wrote: »
    I agree but its impossible for them to open in the mall due to the reckless rents and castle street heading toward Moyderwell is like death valley

Not to mention the rates are killing businesses as well as the rents. Hard to see a recovery here when so few places are opening and still businesses closing. I do agree with the other poster about market research though!

A New eco refill place after opening in Boherbee (just below O’Quigley hairdressers). There is a lot more eco awareness but Hard to know if it will do ok. Best of luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Not to mention the rates are killing businesses as well as the rents. Hard to see a recovery here when so few places are opening and still businesses closing. I do agree with the other poster about market research though!

A New eco refill place after opening in Boherbee (just below O’Quigley hairdressers). There is a lot more eco awareness but Hard to know if it will do ok. Best of luck to them.

You would have to wonder about any business that opens in an area without doing any research, or canvassing the population about whether or not the venture is viable.
    Think we're talking week's as opposed to months before it shuts it's doors unfortunately

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apparently the council will be advertising for tenders from the 27th January for the permanent Rose of Tralee dome at fels point! Finally some sort of progress!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/site-being-eyed-as-permanent-home-for-rose-of-tralee-festival-975423.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fortyball wrote: »
    This is Massive longshot, I know, but is there anyone who used to skate in Tralee, 19/20 years ago, who knew skateboarders from Listowel?!

What sort of ages would the people you're looking for be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Terry O'Brien declines to enter the race, which highlights how far Labour have fallen locally since the Spring era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

keane2097 wrote: »
    What sort of ages would the people you're looking for be now?

I'd guess 35-ish!

• Advertisement

The 2020 Healy-Rae map - Danny getting slightly more territory than in 2016, through turning Kilgarvan into a joint area!

https://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1217894722078834688

I would suggest starting a thread separate to the Tralee thread for election chat and keep this thread for just general chit chat about Tralee. Thanks.

A New thread was set up by another member called GE2020. Please post election chat there. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Anyone know what’s going into the building beside the brogue. Lots of work going on in there

adam88 wrote: »
    Anyone know what’s going into the building beside the brogue. Lots of work going on in there

Was wondering that myself. I know Curley's garden centre have been using it a few times each Christmas. But would be interesting to know if anything is going in there or just being renovated?

It's owned by Kirby's, they are doing it up and possibly opening it up as a café as opposed to being part of the existing bar... but that's only a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

adam88 wrote: »

Ya I think the brogue inn own it and there was talks of it being renovated and incorporated into the main building

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

ongarboy wrote: »

Its not closed, just temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's owned by Kirby's, they are doing it up and possibly opening it up as a café as opposed to being part of the existing bar... but that's only a rumour

They also own the former Shindig store next to Shaws but nothing has been done with that either. I think Kirbys were awaiting planning permission to convert that to a bistros but I've heard nothing in ages. Maybe they'll just focus on this adjacent unit instead?

The unit where Elvery Sports is at the moment is up for lease. It looks like Elvery's are not renewing their current lease, so unless they are moving to another unit, they are possibly leaving Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

The unit where Elvery Sports is at the moment is up for lease. It looks like Elvery's are not renewing their current lease, so unless they are moving to another unit, they are possibly leaving Tralee?

What that area needs is a coffee shop!!!!!

If not a coffee shop then definitely an off license or estate agents!!!!!

I've heard Elverys have been in discussion about moving to Manor....

• Advertisement

I've heard Elverys have been in discussion about moving to Manor....

When I heard they weren't renewing their lease in the Mall I did wonder if they would move to Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

When I heard they weren't renewing their lease in the Mall I did wonder if they would move to Manor.

Always wondered about that store anyway, feels small, cranoed always quiet in there and I'm sure the revamped sports world dosent help, I guess they may be looking at half the old carpet right unit.
    Moving from next door to one costa to another

g1983d wrote: »
    Always wondered about that store anyway, feels small, cranoed always quiet in there and I'm sure the revamped sports world dosent help, I guess they may be looking at half the old carpet right unit.
    Moving from next door to one costa to another

Its the only unit I can think of. They may take the entire unit as they do work out equipment etc. Have to wait and see!

Just heard that there's been a fire in Sean Og's pub tonight. Not sure if its out or much damage, but someone text me to tell me. Hope all will be ok & that no one is hurt!

*EDITED TO UPDATE*
    Sean Og's posted on FB to say that all is ok, that it was just a small fire in the back yard & they will be open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Just heard that there's been a fire in Sean Og's pub tonight. Not sure if its out or much damage, but someone text me to tell me. Hope all will be ok & that no one is hurt!

*EDITED TO UPDATE*
    Sean Og's posted on FB to say that all is ok, that it was just a small fire in the back yard & they will be open tomorrow.

OPEN again now, 'bring marshmallows' they said !

Remember back in the good auld days, every hotelier needed one good fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

amadain wrote: »
    OPEN again now, 'bring marshmallows' they said !

Remember back in the good auld days, every hotelier needed one good fire.

Just what are you implying? Anyone can get unlucky, even several times, just ask Dan Kiely!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Does anyone know where South west Trade Sales on N21 outside tralee moved to? There was approx 50 cars in the yard last night, Not 1 car there this morning. The Office wasnt even there?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Forge83

thadg wrote: »
    Does anyone know where South west Trade Sales on N21 outside tralee moved to? There was approx 50 cars in the yard last night, Not 1 car there this morning. The Office wasnt even there?

Moved to a new location in clash industrial estate. It’s on an ad on their website.

Have a suspicion that the Art & Hobby shop in Castle Street may be closing

• Advertisement

Have a suspicion that the Art & Hobby shop in Castle Street may be closing

Why’s that?

Advertisement