Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your little quirks - and do they bother you?!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

KilOit wrote: »
    I get weird thoughts of throwing my phone into a river when crossing a bridge
    Darting thought: 'Jump off' (when looking over a cliff).

:confused:

Wonder what it is? I think it might be an issue of worrying about an impulsive loss of control of one's faculties rather than any desire to do something mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Wonder what it is? I think it might be an issue of worrying about an impulsive loss of control of one's faculties rather than any desire to do something mad.

I think I watched a show about it before, I think they are considered 'intrusive thoughts' and most people realise that and just ignore them, they don't actually have any intention of acting on the impulse. Some people with OCD though become very worried that they will act on the intrusive thoughts, especially if they have a brief one about knocking someone down when they are in a car or stabbing someone, even though they don't actually have any intention of doing it. I thought it was really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I think I watched a show about it before, I think they are considered 'intrusive thoughts' and most people realise that and just ignore them, they don't actually have any intention of acting on the impulse. Some people with OCD though become very worried that they will act on the intrusive thoughts, especially if they have a brief one about knocking someone down when they are in a car or stabbing someone, even though they don't actually have any intention of doing it. I thought it was really interesting.

Just did some rigorous scientific research (google) and it seems there have been studies done on the 'Jump off' phenomenon!

Conclusion (paraphrasing): Us scienticians, at the Scientific Studies of Science Institute for the Study of Science, don't really know why people have the 'Jump Off' impulse but, don't worry, it's not a sign that you want to be dead and might even be a misinterpreted instinct to protect your life.

Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

why would you store your shoes in the hall. I store them in the my bedroom. everyday work boots that I wear all day are left on the ground beside my cloths. good shoes in the wardrobe

why would you walk around your house with no shoes on. I haven't got time to be putting them on and off.

once they are on they only come off for changing or washing (maybe a few x rated activities)

it sounds completely alien to me to not have your shoes in your room ready to be put on in the morning

Because cow shít. :pac:
    Wellies stored outside, runners, boots & chaps inside the back door. Slippers inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Same here. Fingers mostly. But my left foot kills me in bed. Have to crack it all the time or I would go feckin' mad. People tell me I will end up with arthritis, but as all the bone cracker know, it has to be done.......

Fingers, wrists, weird thing in hand (i don't even know what i'm cracking), shoulders, ankles, neck, several bones in my back, bone from inside of top of leg to knee and bone from knee to ankles. The only thing I have to crack is my back but sometime's they're massive cracks. I often said to friends after cracking my back who can hear it: 'I don't know how many bones I've just cracked but many.' ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I have to fill & empty my glass4 times before drinking a glass of water from the tap.
    If I bang/scratch something on one side of my body I have to do the same to the other side, sometimes off the same object.
    When driving I always have to take 4 different numbers between 0-9 and play with them in my head, adding/multiplying/sometimes just repeating them.

I used to have to switch light switches on & off 4 times.

Yeah it bothers me, especially while driving

I also do the straightening of objects on a table
    Do you have OCD? It sounds quite mild if you do but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

rosie16 wrote: »
    Fingers, wrists, weird thing in hand (i don't even know what i'm cracking), shoulders, ankles, neck, several bones in my back, bone from inside of top of leg to knee and bone from knee to ankles. The only thing I have to crack is my back but sometime's they're massive cracks. I often said to friends after cracking my back who can hear it: 'I don't know how many bones I've just cracked but many.' ha

you're great crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I need to get the place cleaned up as soon as possible after a meal.
    I seem to be unable to relax until the dishes are in the dishwasher, the saucepans cleaned (but not necessarily dried and put away) and the table cleared off.

I need to be the first person to read the newspaper. If someone reads my newspaper before me then it would be ruined. Inherited that one from my dad.

Every time I get petrol I have to reset the odometer to zero. If I forget to do this then I feel all out of sync.

There are more...many more (apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I always shower first, THEN wash my hair.

Wash face first, THEN brush teeth.
    Never in any other order. If I accidentally brush my teeth before washing my face I have to brush them again after I wash it. I don't understand why but couldn't not do it.

Apparently also the moment the water is turned on for the shower & start singing & always stop when I turn the water off!

Apparently I sing to the dog when I'm happy & never notice it.

I think thats it. Other than complaints about sleeping with my eyes open occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I have to turn the volume on everything to an even number or a multiple of 5. If I don't, I feel really uncomfortable and it's all I can think about until I change it. My sister thinks I'm lying but it really really bothers me.

When I see a car, I have to try and make the year from the numbers. So if the reg was 12 D 12345, I'd try to make 12 from the 12345 by addition, subtraction etc..

I have to pack the shopping, put it away and put clothes away myself. My boyfriend is banned from doing it because he will do it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

why would you store your shoes in the hall. I store them in the my bedroom. everyday work boots that I wear all day are left on the ground beside my cloths. good shoes in the wardrobe

why would you walk around your house with no shoes on. I haven't got time to be putting them on and off.

once they are on they only come off for changing or washing (maybe a few x rated activities)

it sounds completely alien to me to not have your shoes in your room ready to be put on in the morning

You don't walk around barefoot; I wear slippers with a good sole so I can go out to the bin if I need to. I only put shoes on if I'm leaving the house.

These days I just find wearing shoes around the house kinda sweaty and cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

i tend to make some beats/rhythm by gently grinding my teeth (upper jaw/lower jaw). Happens whenever a familiar song that comes to mind or i just happen to do it unconsciously out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

KatW4 wrote: »
    When I see a car, I have to try and make the year from the numbers. So if the reg was 12 D 12345, I'd try to make 12 from the 12345 by addition, subtraction etc..

This I do....but on every list of numbers....all day in the back of my mind

My PIN numbers...phone numbers,part numbers always multiplying adding dividing subtracting in the back of my mind rearranging numbers etc....

Have no idea why....I do be talking to people and looking at numbers on papers doing it....even filling in paperwork etc...still going on in back of Mind.....not stressing out etc....just always going..

..I'm not too bad for visibly noticible things.....except tidy ness....people do be laughing at my car/work area it's so clean

This I do....but on every list of numbers....all day in the back of my mind

Yay I'm not alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

kylith wrote: »
    You don't walk around barefoot; I wear slippers with a good sole so I can go out to the bin if I need to. I only put shoes on if I'm leaving the house.

These days I just find wearing shoes around the house kinda sweaty and cumbersome.
    a few assumption being made next
    I think the difference between us is you live in a city and I live in the country.
    when your in you are at home you are in your house or flat and if you leave to go somewhere a bit away
    I go outside at least 10 times every evening. check outside solid fuel burner, bins,bring in stuff from car , nip out to shed for a while , feed dog, load up stuff for tomorrows work, bring in and out paperwork for the days work
    its not worth my while taking my shoes off. I will want them on in a minute

also I wear orthotics in my boots so I cant wear weak or flexible slippers so I just got used to wearing my boots all day.

Kovu wrote: »
    Because cow shít. :pac:
    Wellies stored outside, runners, boots & chaps inside the back door. Slippers inside the house.

ah shur where their muck there's luck.

wellies out side . o holy god . what about rodents and the rain.
    I leave my wellies in the van or inside the back door. I generally consider wellies to be used where its mucky or wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I do tap time steps when I am waiting for someone and need to stand in one spot for a while.

I've remembered another one.

I say sorry for absolutely everything. For example, I say sorry if I'm sick or sorry for not being able to do something for someone. It doesn't bother me but people are always giving out to me for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 121 Gigawatts!?

"Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). Individuals suffering from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings."

I have this. Nearly constantly counting objects every second of the day.
    I cant remember what stage of my life it started, my teens I think, but im at it so long that half the time I dont notice im doing it.

I could be watching tv and im either counting every word the people are saying, or when an ad comes on im counting every line in each letter.

For example a capital E has 4 lines in it. That makes me happy because its an even number. I do this with whole words and sentences really quickly. Odd numbers are annoying. Even are good.

The only time it all annoys me is when I cant finish counting, like if im in a parked car and theres a lorry with "Fruit & Veg" written on the side of it and it drives off before I can finish counting it.

Doesnt affect my everyday life though. If you ever invite me into your sitting room for tea and a chat I will happily do so. You just wont have any idea im counting the 4 lines that make up the square around your telly over and over!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I have a lot of quirks some of them have been already mentioned, its nice to know I'm not alone.
    The one quirk that I wonder about is I can't finish a cup of coffee, I will always leave about one mouthful in the cup.
    This doesn't happen with any other drink just coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I constantly boil the kettle, even when I am not using it. I dunno why, but I just find the noise from it really soothing. So whatever I am doing I get up and flick the switch, leave it boil, then then repeat until I leave the kitchen. Then before going to bed, just before I turn out the lights, I will boil it again to hear it while I am shutting windows, blinds, putting stuff away etc. I try to time it so I can hear it coming to the boil just at the exact moment I leave the room and close the door. I like the idea that both me and the kettle finish our daily routine at the exact same time. On occasions in the past where i have messed up the timing, I boil it again except this time I stand beside it for the duration....then I leave.

KatW4 wrote: »
    I've remembered another one.

I say sorry for absolutely everything. For example, I say sorry if I'm sick or sorry for not being able to do something for someone. It doesn't bother me but people are always giving out to me for it!

I do this too.

"Stop saying sorry"
    "Ok sorry"

"Stop saying sorry" "Ok sorry"

Haha I'm the same. My cousin goes absolutely mad when I do it. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I keep looking in the fridge even though it hasnt changed at all in the last hour since I opened it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

If I like a song, I play it on repeat alot.

Also I mostly use a spoon to butter bread or bread rolls. I worked in a deli for a few months years ago and they only had big sharp knifes to cut the rolls but they were no good for buttering them. They didn't have any butter knifes so I just started using a spoon instead and now it's just habit.

If I like a song, I play it on repeat alot.

Also I mostly use a spoon to butter bread or bread rolls. I worked in a deli for a few months years ago and they only had big sharp knifes to cut the rolls but they were no good for buttering them. They didn't have any butter knifes so I just started using a spoon instead and now it's just habit.

i do that too. but is based on the fact that it is a lot better tool to do the job. especially on soft white bread

Ooops but true lol

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement