Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your little quirks - and do they bother you?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

kfallon wrote: »
    But gee and bunghole are ok? :confused:

:pac:

Just gee, nobody goes near my bunghole!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

73Cat wrote: »
    I talk to myself a lot, especially when doing the shopping. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Me too and it's always weirdly aggressive and sweary, I'm either giving out to myself or thinking of things people did to annoy me. Over Christmas I was washing dishes and thinking of something stupid I'd done (can't even remember what) and went 'ah you dumb ****' right as my mam walked in the room :pac:

If I'm entering a room where the light is off I always stay standing outside and just put my arm in to turn on the light before I come in. I was scared of the dark as a kid and I think it's a habit that started there.

If I'm trying to make up my mind whether or not to do something, rather than toss a coin I'll take out my phone and look at the time. Even numbered minute past the hour = do it, odd number =no

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

surely everybody does it this way. its way more efficient. total waste of time doing it separately

I thought so too until a few people pulled me up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I won't use it at all. Freaks me out that it was in someone's house or at the bottom of their lunch bag for a week or something. Totally irrational.

I have this one fork and one spoon that I avoid like the plague. If it's set out on the table, I replace it. That means the OH has to wait another 15 seconds or so before we start eating. Her response is the same all the time "It's just a fork". I think she's doing it on purpose. However, if there are two forks/spoons left, and I will give it to her. She hasn't noticed yet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I do a double take of the alarm clock (ie. hitting the light button twice) before I go to sleep. Everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I can only chew chewing gum if it is in tablet form..and two at a time. Which means that I go through chewing gum packets insanely fast and if I happen to have none on me, I have to nearly beg on my knees off a friend for two pieces instead of the standard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Crumbs....I can't stick them....I can't relax and eat until they are wiped away. Even in a restaurant they bother me on someones elses table. Don't think its too weird though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I have to keep the teaspoon in my cup of tea. So much more enjoyable that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I can't stand people taking food from my plate. Its ok if I offer them some first and they take it. Thats fine. But do not put that uninvited paw near my plate otherwise....Also I am told that I shake my arms and rock forward and back when I'm excited about something, or when I'm looking forward to something. Apparently I have done this since I was a baby. I don't realise I'm doing it. That embarrasses me:-). I must have been like a feckin madman at the new Star Wars movie......:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Darting thought: 'Jump off' (when looking over a cliff).

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if im buying a newspaper or magazine I always take the second one , never the top one. I do the same in aldi when I get the lefelet
    I don't know why

when I buy a bar of chocolate I don't buy the first type that I see. usually the second one even if the first is my favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Darting thought: 'Jump off' (when looking over a cliff).

:confused:
    I get weird thoughts of throwing my phone into a river when crossing a bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've a few...

I have to sit on the left side of an airplane. The right side just feels wrong. I can't explain why.

When in an airport, I need to double check that I have my password about every 10 minutes. I put it in a travel wallet, put the wallet in the inside pocket of my bag, zip up the pocket and then zip the bag. I know that it is physically impossible for the password not to be in the bag, but I still have to check.

I absolutely have to have my bank notes in order by denomination in my wallet. I once realised that I had a fiver between two tenners and it actually made me angry with myself.

People's misuse of the word 'revert' annoys me much more than it should.

I once saw a child in a shop take a bottle of Coke and put the top in his mouth for a few minutes before the mother put if back on the shelf. Since then, I always take a bottle from the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

I make weird hand gestures when I get excited about something. I can also eat my weight in chocolate digestives but hate chocolate in any other form.

My wife does a little jig whenever things are going her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

When I'm tired the silliest things will make me laugh till I cry,to the bemused looks of my family.
    I apologize to things I bump into.

Even though I'm here nigh on 20 years, I still swear in French, counting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm really figitedy with my hands, spinning my phone, clicking my fingers, or just turning a coin, simple things like that.

They don't get in the way of anything unless a pick up a Rubik's cube, and I get absorbed in it and totally zone out :( Drives the GF mental

When I'm walking somewhere with no distractions or don't want to use my phone, I take a guess at how many steps away I am, based on a visual estimate. I then count the steps in my head.

I can only eat baked beans if there's been curry powder added to them. It's delicious, but I get the weirdest looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've lots of random little things.
    I fall into "routine" easily enough and hate change. It's a running joke with my friends. I only order the same stuff from menus, the same dish from Chinese, starter is always soup, main is always chicken, even if the soup is manky I'll still order it, I don't know why.
    When I find something I like I'll do it constantly until I'm sick of it. Eg. In college, my fav dinner for months was thai curry, I made this every single day for months. I got so fed up of it, I got to the stage where I can't even bear to smell it. The next phase was penne pasta chicken fillet mushrooms and cheese. Ate that same dinner for months, got sick of it, onto the next one.

When I'm concentrating I stick my tongue out, I don't realise I'm doing it until someone points it out. Sometimes instead of my tongue poking out, I pout my lips and end up doing duckface while I'm concentrating.
    It's only embarrassing when someone calls me out on it

I have an extreme dislike of body hair. It repulses me beyond belief. I'm not as bad with it on other people but for some reason women with dark facial hair who leave it untouched, they make my skin crawl, to the point I'm uncomfortable even holding eye contact with them. I've no idea really why I'm so disgusted by Body hair. I keep myself clean but I never feel clean unless I'm 100% smooth

My eyebrows, I'm a bit odd with them. I've no idea why they're so important to me but it's probably the biggest running joke with myself/friends. Even my male friends. I try keep them perfect all the time, even if I'm not wearing makeup, they'll be done. I was in my friends house over Xmas, her husband came in and went into kitchen to say hello to her first, and then as he was walking into sitting room (where I was) he was like "going in here to admire Lexie and her eyebrows). If I put a new photo up on my Facebook, it's pretty much the only comments I get, about my brows.
    I have an underactive thyroid which can cause hair loss sometimes, and my biggest fear is losing my eyebrows. I'd rather have two broken arms than wonky eyebrows :(

Oh and apparently my eyes stay awake when I sleep

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You could get an eyebrow graft from another part of your body.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't like red soups. Have a natural aversion to them.

When I'm concentrating I tend to run the backs of my fingers from my nose to my chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When driving alone and bored, I sometimes start talking aloud with a 1920's Chicago gangster's accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

If I take change out of my pocket I have to arrange it in order of size and have all coins face-up.

I used have a ****-ton of OCD ticks when I was younger, like stepping on cracks on a path etc, but thankfully I've grown out of almost all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

When I was a kid and going to bed, I'd have to make sure the wardrobe door was slightly open. The reasoning being that if it was fully open then I'd be able to see the monsters clearly, but if it was fully closed then they might burst open the door and scare me more then if they just discreetly peeked around a small opening.

I've just realised that my wardrobe is still slightly open at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Tend to eat things from the outer layers inwards, I've said it here before but it bears repeating, NEVER GIVE ME A SNICKERS IN A PUBLIC PLACE! You will be repulsed and I will be ashamed of myself.

I say "uhm" at the start of an answer to a question regardless of how ready and/or certain I am of what I'm saying. Doesn't bother me too much but it occasionally seems to infuriate people.

Pick my nose, don't care at all, it's far more efficient than desperately blowing your nose in the hope you'll unearth that annoying embedded snot.

If I've anywhere close to enough free time, I'll walk somewhere instead of cycle/drive/etc. Only bothers me when I wind up having to run a mile in ten minutes for something important, otherwise I'm happy out, love walking, I'd walk for days.

Can't burp, instead there seems to be these random minor releases of gases out of my mouth ALL THE TIME. It's been a pretty huge source of social anxiety since I was a kid.

Feel like I'm somehow missing an extremely crazy one here... :o

Just remembered another one.

Does anyone else get a split second of sheer panic when posting a letter? I hate letting it go and dropping it into post box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I always take cold showers.

The colder the water, the better.

What bothers me is having to shower elsewhere and the water only goes lukewarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I sing to myself when I'm walking around, regardless of if I have headphones or not.

I hate being on the wrong side of the road. If Spar is on the left side and I'm on the right side I'll cross over as soon as possible.

When I eat I like to have my right arm leaning against the wall.
    surely everybody does it this way. its way more efficient. total waste of time doing it separately

Not if you keep your socks upstairs and your shoes downstairs. I'm not one of those who insist on no shoes in the house, but I like to put on my slippers as soon as I get in because it's comfier, so my shoes live in the hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

When I eat a burger and chips, I like to eat my chips first and my burger second, I don't like to eat them at the same time, especially if I go to McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

When ever i hear the weather (sea) forecast on the radio i have to listen to right to the end.

I have no idea about the place names, i find it soothing love the sound of them, picture i'm on an old sailing boat.

Like repeating words out to myself when i drive like "huskvarna" and "Jobeoh"

Used to tap things with my left foot a certain number of times, would then need to do it with the right foot, or my world would end.

My Grandmother God rest her called me "a Strange fish" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don't like red soups. Have a natural aversion to them.

I won't eat anything that is the colour of beetroot or red cabbage. Never even tried them but I'm repulsed by the way the colour stains any other foods on the same plate!

Advertisement