Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your little quirks - and do they bother you?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Tend to eat things from the outer layers inwards, I've said it here before but it bears repeating, NEVER GIVE ME A SNICKERS IN A PUBLIC PLACE! You will be repulsed and I will be ashamed of myself. what do you do, eat it like a corn on the cob.
    I do that sometimes with twix bars

I say "uhm" at the start of an answer to a question regardless of how ready and/or certain I am of what I'm saying. Doesn't bother me too much but it occasionally seems to infuriate people.

Pick my nose, don't care at all, it's far more efficient than desperately blowing your nose in the hope you'll unearth that annoying embedded snot.

If I've anywhere close to enough free time, I'll walk somewhere instead of cycle/drive/etc. Only bothers me when I wind up having to run a mile in ten minutes for something important, otherwise I'm happy out, love walking, I'd walk for days.

Can't burp, instead there seems to be these random minor releases of gases out of my mouth ALL THE TIME. It's been a pretty huge source of social anxiety since I was a kid.

Feel like I'm somehow missing an extremely crazy one here... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

When I have a bath, I won't get into it for about 30 mins after its ran. I have no idea why. I like baths, i'm no soap dodger, I just have to ... wait.
    I can stand on my hands, as in tip my toes then tuck hands under feet at 40-odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

what do you do, eat it like a corn on the cob.
    I do that sometimes with twix bars
    uhm, yeah, basically. Eat the chocolate, then the lower nougaty stuff, then suck the caramel and finally eat the peanuts. Just imagine a grown adult doing that, I can do it in quarters and be a bit more subtle, but still.

Twix bars are perfect for it! So are some brands of jaffa cakes, as a kid I used to insist we only buy the ones which were easily dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

I get really angry if anyone around me eats loudly - like irrationally angry.. If im on a bus or other public place and someone opens crisps I literally have to sit there counting to 10 in my head... Drives my boyfriend mad as I wont let him eat crisps if were watching TV etc.. Also have a weird nose twitch when i'm stressed - my family have nick named it the 'rabbit nose'... Both of these bother me a lot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have a full on twitch in my left wrist, do it while awake and asleep.

Sitting on the bus, minding my own business on boards, and suddenly my phone goes flying

• Advertisement

uhm, yeah, basically. Eat the chocolate, then the lower nougaty stuff, then suck the caramel and finally eat the peanuts. Just imagine a grown adult doing that, I can do it in quarters and be a bit more subtle, but still.

Twix bars are perfect for it! So are some brands of jaffa cakes, as a kid I used to insist we only buy the ones which were easily dismantled.

ahhh a brother from another mother:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I do it with Jaffa cakes too, none of them stick ones for me only ones that can be dismantled:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    even malteesers , I pop the chocolate off eat that first then let the middle bit dissolve. all in my mouth I might add

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

I pour a cup of tea over my weetabix and eat it like its some sort of porridge. It doesn't bother me at all but it seems to bother anyone who has seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

This is exactly how I do it!! same with Mars and pretty much all choc that its possible to do it with!

have so many more but so glad to see some of them mentioned in previous posts so at least im not the only one!!

if im in a shop and buying something, regardless of what I cant take the front one, have to take one 2/3 back - from paper to drinks to food to kitchen roll - just cant bring myself to take the front one.

when eating crisps I don't like if the packet is opened upside down - has to be right way up

when opening a can of anything I have to tap the lid 3 times before I can open it ( I have no idea why)

I don't like odd numbers and have to have the volume on tv/laptop ect on a even number

when looking at my phone to check the time, I always have to check it twice, once just isn't enough!

I would rather stand on a train/luas than sit in a seat going backwards! have to be facing forward.

o god now that ive started, I just keep remembering more but think ill leave it at that for now - there are enough listed above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I eat a Big Mac layer by layer never complete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I don't like to finish the end of my drinks, it drives the OH mad when she finds a glass or bottle with just a little bit left in it.

Oh jaysus, you just reminded me of my fella's most irritating quirk - not finishing tea or coffee for HOURS. But the irritating thing about it is that he won't let me lift the cup to the washing up till he's finished it. So there's often a cup somewhere near him by the time I'm making more tea hours later with half an inch of cold drink in it that he a) refuses to finish and b) won't let me throw out or make him another one. I love it really. Very odd.

My quirks are weirdly all related to drying clothes (well, maybe not all, but the ones that bother me!). Pegs have to be different colours next to each other unless they're wooden. Clothes must be hung right way up and facing me. There should preferably be an even series of clothes on each side of the central support pole for the line, in this order: Socks, pants, t-shirts, shirts, jumpers, trousers. And when anyone else brings the washing in, woe betide them if they haven't put the pegs back on the line so that they can slide easily from one side to the other. If someone else hangs the washing up, then I don't care how it's done though.

Oh dear. That looks really bad now I've written it out! OCD much?! Feck - just remembered how I am about the dishwasher....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

-When I'm concentrating or writing I have a habit of 'sniffing' my left hand. I know I have done it for years but it was only really pointed out to me one day by a work colleague sitting beside me while I was trying to figure out some accounts.

-In photos, I always twist my mouth to the left hand side and raise my cheek slightly

- I have an annoying habit of tieing my hair into a bun and constantly undoing it and tieing it again when I'm having a chilled, informal conversation with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I eat a Big Mac layer by layer never complete

I used to do this with McDonald's regular burgers but when I hit my teens I was too embarrassed to eat them like that in front of my friends so I started eating them all together.
    Shrap wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, you just reminded me of my fella's most irritating quirk - not finishing tea or coffee for HOURS. But the irritating thing about it is that he won't let me lift the cup to the washing up till he's finished it. So there's often a cup somewhere near him by the time I'm making more tea hours later with half an inch of cold drink in it that he a) refuses to finish and b) won't let me throw out or make him another one. I love it really. Very odd.

My quirks are weirdly all related to drying clothes (well, maybe not all, but the ones that bother me!). Pegs have to be different colours next to each other unless they're wooden. Clothes must be hung right way up and facing me. There should preferably be an even series of clothes on each side of the central support pole for the line, in this order: Socks, pants, t-shirts, shirts, jumpers, trousers. And when anyone else brings the washing in, woe betide them if they haven't put the pegs back on the line so that they can slide easily from one side to the other. If someone else hangs the washing up, then I don't care how it's done though.

Oh dear. That looks really bad now I've written it out! OCD much?! Feck - just remembered how I am about the dishwasher....

My OH just leaves cups lying around anyway, or puts them near the dishwasher and not in it, that drives me mad!

I have a weird thing about hanging up clothes too, I can't stand if they are inside out or if they are touching each other and my OH doesn't let the wrinkles out of things, she just hangs things all bunched up and then they dry like that, that also makes me nuts. I try to do all of the washing because it freaks me out the way she hangs things up and I don't like the way she puts away the clothes either, I have a weird tick about having to put the same types of clothes on the same hanger, so they are all in little groups and I can find them easily, like going out tops together, or stripey tops, or glittery ones etc, my OH never knows what is supposed to go where so I prefer to put the clothes away. Now I sound totally crazy :o

I have a weird thing about hanging up clothes too, I can't stand if they are inside out or if they are touching each other and my OH doesn't let the wrinkles out of things, she just hangs things all bunched up and then they dry like that, that also makes me nuts. I try to do all of the washing because it freaks me out the way she hangs things up and I don't like the way she puts away the clothes either, I have a weird tick about having to put the same types of clothes on the same hanger, so they are all in little groups and I can find them easily, like going out tops together, or stripey tops, or glittery ones etc, my OH never knows what is supposed to go where so I prefer to put the clothes away. Now I sound totally crazy :o

Ha, sh1t, me too. Clothes touching each other on the line? No. Just no. And now that I think about it, yeah, it goes right through to the folding and putting away too. Jaysus, what have I become?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

surely everybody does it this way. its way more efficient. total waste of time doing it separately

I'm very curious. I keep my socks in the bedroom and shoes in the hall.

Do you store them together or do you walk around barefoot until you get to where you store shoes?

Today must be a very slow day if this is what i'm thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My toes are very rarely still. I almost have to concentrate to keep them from moving. I spend most of my time at home barefoot and I'm always getting slagged about it - they're moving again!!
    Doesn't really bother me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I can crack a lot of my bones but it's involuntary. I can't control it but people give out to me saying I'm doing it on purpose. Eh if I could stop it I would. The only way to not crack is to never move again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't sleep with my socks on.

Didn't think it was so weird til one night I just couldn't get to sleep and I realised I still had my socks. I was also in a cuddling position with my girlfriend so had to manouvre her out of the way to take them off. Woke her up in the process and she looked at me like I had two heads when I explained why I'd disturbed her.

When I eat a burger and chips, I like to eat my chips first and my burger second, I don't like to eat them at the same time, especially if I go to McDonalds.

I eat everything on my plate in proportion. If I have a fry say for example, i'll get a little piece of sausage, a little piece of rasher and so on all on the same fork, put that in my mouth and then take a bite of my toast or fried bread and chew it all up together.
    Only unsophisticated savages eat one item at a time! (or mcdonalds:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I eat everything on my plate in proportion. If I have a fry say for example, i'll get a little piece of sausage, a little piece of rasher and so on all on the same fork, put that in my mouth and then take a bite of my toast or fried bread and chew it all up together.
    Only unsophisticated savages eat one item at a time! (or mcdonalds:D)

I usually eat one item at a time, and my favourite food first, then my second favourite and so on until my least favourite! I'm a barbarian :p

Can't sleep with my socks on.

Didn't think it was so weird til one night I just couldn't get to sleep and I realised I still had my socks. I was also in a cuddling position with my girlfriend so had to manouvre her out of the way to take them off. Woke her up in the process and she looked at me like I had two heads when I explained why I'd disturbed her.

Jesus, I'd never sleep with socks on! But I do like my feet covered, I have to trap the duvet between the mattress and the bed to stop my girlfriend pulling it up and exposing my feet. What kind of cretin sleeps with their feet out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What kind of cretin sleeps with their feet out!

Me....ya prick :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If I see a button, I have a pathological impulse to push it.

I usually wait until nobody is looking.

vagazzled wrote: »
    I can stand on my hands, as in tip my toes then tuck hands under feet at 40-odd.

I can do that too. Not a quirk, just flexible! The bath thing though.....that's weird.

kfallon wrote: »
    Me....ya prick :mad: :p

He's a witch - burn him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Cleaning my ears with a cotton bud is almost sexual to me.

I've lost molars due to grinding in my sleep.

My penis is very long and thick.

*one of these may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

rosie16 wrote: »
    I can crack a lot of my bones but it's involuntary. I can't control it but people give out to me saying I'm doing it on purpose. Eh if I could stop it I would. The only way to not crack is to never move again.

Same here. Fingers mostly. But my left foot kills me in bed. Have to crack it all the time or I would go feckin' mad. People tell me I will end up with arthritis, but as all the bone cracker know, it has to be done.......

KungPao wrote: »
    Cleaning my ears with a cotton bud is almost sexual to me.

I've lost molars due to grinding in my sleep.

My penis is very long and thick.

*one of these may not be true.

Wrong thread - but please tell me you have all of your own teeth :P

I'm very curious. I keep my socks in the bedroom and shoes in the hall.

Do you store them together or do you walk around barefoot until you get to where you store shoes?

Today must be a very slow day if this is what i'm thinking about.
    why would you store your shoes in the hall. I store them in the my bedroom. everyday work boots that I wear all day are left on the ground beside my cloths. good shoes in the wardrobe

why would you walk around your house with no shoes on. I haven't got time to be putting them on and off.

once they are on they only come off for changing or washing (maybe a few x rated activities)

it sounds completely alien to me to not have your shoes in your room ready to be put on in the morning

• Advertisement

Oh jesus I'd never wear shoes around the house. "clip clop clip clop" on all the wooden floors. I even sometimes carry my shoes to the front door and only put them on there.

The only exception for wearing shoes in the house would be runners, purely because they're quiet and also comfy.

Advertisement