Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA Super Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Individual results from the ESB Beach race last night are online now. There is a dummy runner in first place; not sure how that got in there. Everyone else can bump themselves up one place.

https://bhaa.ie/events/esb-beach-race-2016/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi,

Can't seem to enter the next race online, will this be up again sometime prior to Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

I entered it just there....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also entered, looking forward to it, last time i did this or any bhaa was 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

gonna be tight making it for the 7.30 registration cut off tonight....don't close without me please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Beat my time from this race two years ago by a few seconds, although I felt like I had zero energy as I plodded around in the heat, and my legs seemed to weigh a ton. Great spread afterwards though, well done to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great course, super spread afterwards. Done this 4 yrs in a row, will be back again next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

First time running this, very good setup, I'll certainly be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great course, great food, a new pb.

Only issue I had was with the finish, there were clearly people struggling after the finish line and in the queue to hand their number in, but no sign of water. I asked one steward to get some water down here as people were struggling and he just walked away!

Plenty of cake and sandwiches afterwards, some of the cake was amazing

The BHAA track races are down for decision on Wednesday evening in Trinity. I haven't taken part in these before, but the format is such that even plodders like myself have a chance of a first place, as standards are grouped together. Details in the link. Anyone else from here going?

https://bhaa.ie/events/trinity-track-2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The BHAA track races are down for decision on Wednesday evening in Trinity. I haven't taken part in these before, but the format is such that even plodders like myself have a chance of a first place, as standards are grouped together. Details in the link. Anyone else from here going?

https://bhaa.ie/events/trinity-track-2016/

I'm going. Guaranteed PB in the 1000 yards race anyway :D

Same as. And in my case you can add the 2000 metres :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

For any of you running on Wednesday at the Trinity Track races, can you please fill out this form before hand to make the registration process more simple on the day

BHAA Trinity Track 2106

Registration will still be open on the evening, and cash will be taken on the day.

A very enjoyable evening was had by all for this unique event on the BHAA calendar. Conditions were perfect; dry and sunny with no wind, and the track was in great nick. Some of us adapt to the short stuff much better than others! Hopefully I'll be back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The results are up, though not in the usual place:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWpD_oGdHOfeTFLd3ViZ3BwemM/view

I found both races really enjoyable. I thought the track looked a little misshapen but I'll blame the sunlight. (Alas I didn't have the opportunity for pre-race refreshment in the Pav beforehand, so can't rely on that for dodgy vision).

I'm on the Std 16/17 boundary, which doesn't really matter for most races, so I declared for 16. For these races it was the boundary between the separate 14-16 and 17-20+ races.

For the 1,000 yards I was on the outside lane, so with the indignant air of a ruddy-cheeked Major-General at the Queen's summer garden party I harrumphed a "do you not know who I am? In the order of merit I should be beside the Air Vice-Marshal and the Rear-Admiral". So I galloped to an inside lane position. Behind the leader. Then I realised 'ah, I'm in the wrong race, and this is probably my 400m pace'. Was overtaken by almost everyone by the second lap. But it got me a sub 3:28 time. I've never ran a 1,000 yard race, so it was always going to be a PB, but at least it was close enough to 6 min mile pace. (The later 2k race was much slower, but I was happy enough to get two races in on a mid-week).

Couldn't stay for the spread afterwards but thanks to Cyril and to the BHAA volunteers for stewarding the events. (I'm sure there would've been the temptation to level the starter gun horizontally and blast away at a few errant types but overall it worked out well, with people grouping in advance of each race being called, and giving plenty of cheer to those on the track).

Would definitely do it again next year.

This Wednesday is the DCC 5k in Irishtown stadium and the adjacent park.

It's fast and flat: you do 1 or 2 full laps of the track (which helps even out bunching) and then - after part of another lap - dash across the car park to the park.

It's a sharp bend turning in to the path for the park but otherwise it's a pleasant few laps of the park, quite fast.

You return to the track for 3/4 of a lap.

Here's it on Garmin, a pancake flat course. As you can see, they vary the starting location a little on the track from year to year, but the number of laps of the park are the same:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/855172322
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/227683880

Registration is from 18:30 onwards:

https://bhaa.ie/2016-dcc-5k/

I'm hoping to make it but might yet be unable to escape work in time. For anyone working in the city centre, Irishtown track is only about 15-20 mins away.

Best of luck to all taking part in this. I won't be around myself but will probably be running in the DFB race next week.

Good blowout in the DFB 5k this morning starting and finishing in Marino, even if I ended up doing it a bit quicker than intended at 21:30. Course was a fair test on a warm day. The tribute to Seamus Kilcullen before the start was a nice touch. Hopefully I'll get to run it again.

This weekend will be a busy one for Dublin marathon entrants, with Athlone half-marathon, Wicklow kilomarathon etc all offering something to add to the mix.

For those who need a shorter, faster race to shake things up a bit then the BHAA's Pfizer race could be interesting: a 5k in Newbridge:
    https://bhaa.ie/events/pfizer-5k/

I gather that Pfizer have sponsored a few Cork BHAA races over the past while, so it's nice to see one on the Dublin calendar - even if in Co Kildare. But Saturday ParkRuns are a big challenge to any attempt to get a 5k onto the race calendar, so it'll be interesting to see how things go. (Alas I'm still in distance/mileage greed/addiction, as I try to build up for the Dublin marathon, so probably won't make this race, although it does look tempting).

The Pfizer race in Newbridge was well worth doing: pancake-flat course, beautiful conditions (sun offset by a slight windswept effect on one side of the campus), friendly organisers, and some excellent hot food afterwards. (Alas I'd probably need some of their Lipitor or Norvasc after the amount of sausages I ate).

Results not up yet but here's a look at the course elevation, i.e. there's none:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1351788636

Alas after my c.22:15 of running time I was still in 'marathon training' deranged mindset, so - almost as soon as I got home - I went off for an 11 miler of more normal plodding:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1351788667

I hope the Pfizer race becomes a regular on the BHAA calendar. The September slot is always a tough one, e.g. the Dublin Half Marathon, so many in distance training for the Dublin Marathon, the in-between phase of being too early for winter cross-country but too late for any summer-race series, etc all makes it hard to find a niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Is the BHAA website down? I tried looking up the XC fixtures last week and again just now but get the same error message 'This site can’t provide a secure connection' Can other people access or is this maybe a browser specific issue with me? Using Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Is the BHAA website down? I tried looking up the XC fixtures last week and again just now but get the same error message 'This site can’t provide a secure connection' Can other people access or is this maybe a browser specific issue with me? Using Chrome.

OK, can access with Microsoft Edge. Any BHAA guys out there, might be something you want to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tried it last night myself and it was down. Still down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi All

I have never done a XC race before so thinking of giving it a go on Saturday. Would you have to have spikes for it or would runners be ok given the fine weather we have been having.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have never done a XC race before so thinking of giving it a go on Saturday. Would you have to have spikes for it or would runners be ok given the fine weather we have been having.

Thanks

Runners will be fine! Enjoy your XC debut.

Best of luck, it's a nice easy one for your first. I won't be running it this year, but should make it over to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

Great day for Cross Country at Castleknock today. Well done to the BHAA crew, and The Teachers, for the fantastic after race spread of food!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Great to be back running BHAA races after 3 years of injuries..Thanks to the Teachers, volunteers & BHAA for a great race and also the food afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Unfortunately the final BHAA XC race of the season is cancelled :(

On the good news front registration is already open for the first race of next season. The Bank of Ireland XC race in Tymon Park.

Saturday 7th Jan 2017
    11am
    separate starts for men and women.
    Ladies - 2 miles
    Men - 4 miles

Details here: https://bhaa.ie/events/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Unfortunately the final BHAA XC race of the season is cancelled :(

On the good news front registration is already open for the first race of next season. The Bank of Ireland XC race in Tymon Park.

Saturday 7th Jan 2017
    11am
    separate starts for men and women.
    Ladies - 2 miles
    Men - 4 miles

Details here: https://bhaa.ie/events/

That's a pity - was looking forward to this. Any idea why it was cancelled?

Advertisement