Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA Super Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Really enjoyed the Garda CC course there. Thanks to all involved in organising.

Both the weather and the course held up well and there were enough sugary treats at the afters to bring on the diabetes. Lovely hurlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Tomorrow the yellow van rolls up at ALSAA for a 2 mile/5 mile XC double bill. Anyone from here heading out? Course map is a bit confusing, in that it's hard to tell how many laps are involved.

https://bhaa.ie/events/dublin-airport-cc-2016/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the date change for the K-club confirmed at this stage? Any reason for the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is the date change for the K-club confirmed at this stage? Any reason for the change?

the date change has been confirmed here https://bhaa.ie/2016-bhaa-race-calendar/. I dont know the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

adrian522 wrote: »

The K Club race has been rescheduled for Saturday 9th April, a week earlier than originally planned.

As with all of its other race venues, the BHAA is reliant upon the goodwill and availability of a number of parties. These include venue owners, course owners, race organisers and their work colleagues, first-aid providers, An Garda Síochána and others. If any one of these is not "on side", for whatever reason, then a race can be under threat. We do a lot of work behind the scenes to have everything in place for the scheduled date.

In the case of the K Club race, the race organiser is a senior member of the K Club staff who has had the generous co-operation of the venue owner over the last few years. In this case, the owner reluctantly asked the organiser to facilitate him by moving the race date. What could the organiser and the BHAA do?

As a voluntary organisation, the BHAA does not pay people to put on races. Race organisers regularly make modest donations to venues such as GAA clubs etc in return for making their facilities available for registration and changing but this has never been necessary in the case of the K Club. (In fact, although the BHAA does not organise races for charity, the organiser of the K Club race has, through support and sponsorship from the K Club and its suppliers, managed to generate a surplus each year which he has generously presented to some very deserving charitable and voluntary causes.)

We recognise that the new date is somewhat less attractive than the original date but we expect that the race itself will be better than ever and we hope to have the usual high turnout on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for your response, I wouldn't argue with anything you say. If this date had been known earlier I'd certainly been hearing to the K club, unfortunately having already committed to the GIR I don't be able to make this.

It's a pity as it's possibly my favourite race of the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

The Dublin City Council Road Race is on in St. Anne's Park Raheny on Saturday 2nd April. The Ladies 2 mile race is at 11am and the Mens 4 mile race is at 11.30am. It's the final race of the Lord Mayor series, so there should be a big turnout. For BHAA regulars, it's the start of the summer league.

https://bhaa.ie/events/dcc-road-races-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The BHAA/DCC race went really well: great ad for both - Dublin City Council have resurfaced quite a few of the paths around St Anne's Park, making it much better underfoot than a few years ago.

Much of the route would be familiar to those who do 'park run' events, but although there were a few tight bends there were plenty of long straight stretches into which you could put the foot on the pedal.

The incorporation of the Lord Mayor's series into the run was worthwhile: many who participate in that series might only normally do 5k distances, so upping them to 4 miles for the two BHAA events (i.e. the Garda XC and DCC road race) gave them a broader range of experiences. (Having said that, most women opted for the 2 mile distance).

The race was well-stewarded but good to see so many spectators to cheer on others, e.g. the guys during the gals' race and vice versa.

My only complaint would be about the hall in St Paul's College: someone has shrunk it. In my day (and not trying to sound too much like an auld Mr Brennan and the days before sliced bread) the hall was much bigger! The Grove on a Saturday night fitted hundreds into that confined space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

5th year in a row for me doing this. Great race and fast in good conditions like yesterday.

Minor peeve. Hung around for the results which took a long time and were a bit stop-start which contrasts to results giving at other BHAA events I've been at. Not helped by the organisers doing an impromptu quiz beforehand which was unnecessary. There was a dwindling no.of people who held out til the end of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

The top BHAA event of the year for many takes place tomorrow morning in Kildare.

https://bhaa.ie/events/k-club-10k-2016/

This was my official BHAA debut back in 2013, and it still remains my favourite race of theirs, with the best post race spread I've ever experienced. If you're not in Connemara/Rotterdam/the GIR etc, I highly recommend it! Unfortunately, as a result of its rescheduling, I won't be there myself.

Best of luck to all taking part.

• Advertisement

Note that if you are not a member of the BHAA, you will not be able to enter the race on the day. Online entry only up to this afternoon if you are not a member (€15).

Members can, as usual, turn up, pay €10 and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

A big thank you to the K club and BHAA today for a fantastic race. Loads of marshals and guards on the route made for a great day. Some spread afterwards too:D
    And a 1 min PB to boot - happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Great event at the K Club, great race and I think a PB so happy out. Found the finish a bit hard to figure out, when I was coming in there were people walking around & it wasn't corned off. Only negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Superb race and absolutely perfect weather.
    And the food... :)
    PB here but only cos it's the first 10k I ever raced.
    When do the results go up? I was too wrecked to even see a clock at the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

My first 10k race and loved it. Great spread at the end!!

Only (minor) thing I didn't like was the finish line was in the car park....an extra 100/150m I wasn't prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Hmm... still no results on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

aoboa wrote: »
    Hmm... still no results on the site.
    results will go up as soon as the volunteer who processes them is able. We are all volunteers at BHAA.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I appreciate that bhaa is a voluntary effort but will it be this week that the results are posted?

At least if I know this I will stop checking several times a day!!
    thanks

The results of the K Club 10km are now online. We are sorry for the delay with this. We have a small number of entries who are unaccounted for. Some of these dropped out (and hence were unrecorded at the finish) but if you have any queries (or indeed comments, suggestions or offers of help!), the best advice is to send an email to info@bhaa.ie and we will investigate. Might not be over the weekend as some of us have to do family stuff that we put on hold last weekend!

In relation to the finish line in the car park: Although not ideal, this seems to be the best solution to the start line problem. In the past, a different start line led to crowding at an early stage in the race so we had to bring the start away from the clubhouse. Our measuring showed that we had to make up the distance by doing that curve in the car park. It doesn't seem much when you drive in but it is definitely tougher when you have 9.8km done! Continuing straight on past the clubhouse caused other problems in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I've 15 people in work ready to go for the Sandymount 5k. We did it last year and it was a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks for the K club results. The suggestion that I would make its better signage the finish line, with tape so that you can see where your supposed to go. I found when I was coming in at the 58 min mark other runners were walking back & standing around, lost me a few seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi - does anyone know when the closing date for signing up online for RTE 5 is. Trying to log onto the site this evening but seems to be down. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Just a word of warning ...a number of people from our club (Bros Pearse) who entered online for the K Club race , have had their credit cards scammed , so if you entered this way , it might be advisable to check your statement ..The BHAA have been advised

PVincent wrote: »
    Just a word of warning ...a number of people from our club (Bros Pearse) who entered online for the K Club race , have had their credit cards scammed , so if you entered this way , it might be advisable to check your statement ..The BHAA have been advised

The BHAA technical experts checked out all aspects of the payments process and did not find any evidence that the site or payments process had been compromised. It is likely that the scamming has originated somewhere else, despite the co-incidence. It is advisable to check your statement always in any case - scamming can originate from a variety of sources.

Incidentally, I would draw attention to the fact that the BHAA website itself uses HTTPS - a secure form of communication. The address appears as https://bhaa.ie/ and a green lock is shown. Click on the green lock and you will see details of the HTTPS certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

As it happens I got a security warning from my anti virus that the security cert may be invalid and there may be an impersonation attempt by another site - if anyone else gets similar it may be best to send on the details to the bhaa

Thanks to the organisers of today's 5 miler, very enjoyable once I got going, despite the shyte weather at the start.

Hi - still no sign of results for the RTE 5 mile. I know this is all volunteer led and for that I am very grateful but over a week for the results seems like a long time. Park run can do it in a few hours. I'd be willing to volunteer myself if it meant getting the results up faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Hey Paddy1234,

Thanks for the offer of help. This page outlines the basic steps for how the results are exports from our race timing laptop into a csv file, and then imported into the website.

https://bhaa.ie/how-do-the-results-get-on-the-website/

It might appear that the process is quiet complicated but i would maintain that it's a number of simple steps, and various people could be trained up to do each. There should be no reason why results can't be posted within 4 hours of the end of a race, so that 95% of the runners can see their times and places.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Individual results for the RTE race are online now

https://bhaa.ie/events/rte-5-mile-2016/

Hi all

Could someone explain to me how the team results work. Class A B C and D what are these?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi all

Could someone explain to me how the team results work. Class A B C and D what are these?

Thanks

Every BHAA member has a "standard". This reflects his or her running performance in BHAA races. It is a bit like a golf handicap. Low is good. Standards range from 1 to 30.

For team prizes, the long-standing BHAA tradition has been to try to give every team a fair chance of getting a prize. Hence the four classes.

Each team consists of three runners of varying standards with a total for the team. The classes are for ranges of combined standards which aim to have roughly an even number of teams in each class. I can't remember the ranges of standards in each case. Ask at the next race.

What this means is that even finishers way down the field can feature in a prize winning team. I have seen a case where the last finisher in the race was the third scorer with two other guys who were way up the field - but they needed him to make up the team.

Teams are generally made up of runners from the same company. However, there are many organisations that do not have many runners and for these, it is possible to put together a team of up to six people from companies in the same general area of activity. Existing examples are construction, IT, retail etc. For these composite teams, you need to round up the people yourself and register the team.

Producing team results is a bit tricky, particularly if there are four people from a team in a race. Only the first three count. However, if six people from a team participate, it is possible for two teams to win prizes. This tends to happen with larger organisations such as Garda, Bank of Ireland etc.

Advertisement