Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA Super Thread 2016

Options
  • 05-01-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year to all our members and friends. We are delighted to give you details of our forthcoming races and we encourage you to put them in your diary. We have a strong mix of cross country, road and track races planned for the upcoming year.

Race|Date|Location|Distance
    BHAA Bank Of Ireland cross-country|Saturday 9 January 2016|Tymon Park, Tallaght, Dublin 24|2/4 miles
    BHAA Eir cross-country|Saturday 23 January 2016|Cherryfield Park, Firhouse, Dublin 24|2/5 miles
    BHAA Garda cross-country|Saturday 06 February 2016|Phoenix Park, Dublin|2/4 miles
    BHAA Dublin Airport cross-country|Saturday 20 February 2016|ALSAA, Dublin Airport|2/5 miles
    BHAA AIB/NUI cross-country|Saturday 05 March 2016|National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare|2/4 miles
    BHAA DCC Road Races|Saturday 02 April 2016|Raheny|2/4 miles
    BHAA K-Club 10km|Saturday 16 April 2016|Straffen|10km
    BHAA RTE Race|Saturday 7 May 2016|Donnybrook|5 miles
    BHAA ESB Race|Thurs 26 May 2016|SANDYMOUNT|5km beach
    BHAA Government Services|Tues 31 May 2016|Dunboyne|5m Road
    BHAA Trinity Track|15 June 2016|Trinity|Track
    BHAA Prision Service|29 June 2016|Phoenix Park|5km Trail
    BHAA DCC 5km|13 July 2016|irishtown|5km
    BHAA Dublin Fire Brigade 5km|31 July 2016|Marino|5km
    SSE AIRTRICITY DUBLIN HALF MARATHON|24 Sept 2016|Phoenix Park|1/2 Marathon
    BHAA TEACHERS|15 Oct 2016|Castleknock|CC
    SSE AIRTRICITY DUBLIN HALF MARATHON|30 Oct 2016|Dublin|Marathon
    BHAA IRISH LIFE|26 Nov 2016|SANTRY|CC
    BHAA VODAFONE|11 Dec 2016|MARLAY|CC

We are trying to encourage all members and day members to pre-register using the website, which now supports email login and stripe payments. At the recent AGM, it was agreed that the 15e Day Membership would only apply to online registrations, and that registration on the day for Day Members will now cost 20e for all events in 2016.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

emerald007 wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all our members and friends. We are delighted to give you details of our forthcoming races and we encourage you to put them in your diary. We have a strong mix of cross country, road and track races planned for the upcoming year.

BHAA Eir cross-country|Saturday 23 January 2016|Cherryfield Park, Firhouse, Dublin 24|2/5 miles
    BHAA Garda cross-country|Saturday 06 February 2016|Phoenix Park, Dublin|2/4 miles
    BHAA Dublin Airport cross-country|Saturday 20 February 2016|ALSAA, Dublin Airport|2/5 miles
    BHAA AIB/NUI cross-country|Saturday 05 March 2016|National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare|2/4 miles

We are trying to encourage all members and day members to pre-register using the website, which now supports email login and stripe payments. At the recent AGM, it was agreed that the 15e Day Membership would only apply to online registrations, and that registration on the day for Day Members will now cost 20e for all events in 2016.

Cheers for the heads up on the dates, looking forward to the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nodgie86

Is the race in Tymon Park going ahead this Saturday? I know its on the BHAA website just didn't see it above?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

nodgie86 wrote: »
    Is the race in Tymon Park going ahead this Saturday?

Yes the race is going at ahead on Saturday, I've updated the table.

We're encouraging all members and new runners to pre-register via the website. Note - Day members looking to turn up and run on Saturday will be charged 20e, so use the online channel and pre-register for 15e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nodgie86

Thanks for the above, sorry to be annoying you further but is the distance 4 mile or 5 miles?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 highchap

The mens race is 4 miles, the ladies 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

With the short course cancelled, I might run this instead although I'm none too happy about the jump from 4k to 4 miles :D. Have to shake off the Christmas cobwebs somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I presume that was the first lap, so it could only have deteriorated afterwards. Well done to all who competed. I might leave it till the Garda XC for my seasonal reappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I presume that was the first lap, so it could only have deteriorated afterwards. Well done to all who competed. I might leave it till the Garda XC for my seasonal reappearance.

That was one of the safe stretches, where there was a path upon which Paul could venture forth with a camera to capture the race without experiencing the conditions.

Here's another image, from just around the corner:
    http://greatwarproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/3rd-Ypres_stretcher-bearers-in-mud_1917.jpg

It measured nearly 4.5 miles for most, but I think that'd partially be accounted for by some of the swimming, mudbathing, or the attempts to weave around some of the splashier stretches. Certainly a 7km race in the end. Very enjoyable though, and I'd imagine that most will run the 5 mile race in Templeogue in the same time (or faster) than the 4 mile race yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That was one of the safe stretches, where there was a path upon which Paul could venture forth with a camera to capture the race without experiencing the conditions.

Here's another image, from just around the corner:
    http://greatwarproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/3rd-Ypres_stretcher-bearers-in-mud_1917.jpg

It measured nearly 4.5 miles for most, but I think that'd partially be accounted for by some of the swimming, mudbathing, or the attempts to weave around some of the splashier stretches. Certainly a 7km race in the end. Very enjoyable though, and I'd imagine that most will run the 5 mile race in Templeogue in the same time (or faster) than the 4 mile race yesterday.

I think I have a case of trench foot after that race actually :D

It measured long because they had to change the course last minute due to unrunnable conditions in parts. Pity they didn't make it shorter because I had another absolute mare in the mud. I need this rain to stop soon because I can't hack this plodding through bogs for much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Great race and a super start to the BHAA 2016 calendar, mucky but that's why we wear metal things on our shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

If I remember correctly there used to be as many as 11 cross country races. Why are there only 7 now? What happened to the rest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there used to be as many as 11 cross country races. Why are there only 7 now? What happened to the rest?

I was going to do the one out at the ward the year of the big snow and couldn't get out with the weather. Don't think they've done it since. THAT sounded fun. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I was going to do the one out at the ward the year of the big snow and couldn't get out with the weather. Don't think they've done it since. THAT sounded fun. :(

I did that one. Remember thinking no way they will run this. Was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

When are the 2016 road race dates announced?

BHAA Bank Of Ireland cross-country|Saturday 9 January 2016|Tymon Park, Tallaght, Dublin 24|2/4 miles
    BHAA DCC Road Races|Saturday 02 April 2016|Raheny|2/4 miles
    BHAA K-Club 10km|Saturday 16 April 2016|Straffen|10km
    BHAA RTE Race|Saturday 7 May 2016|Donnybrook|5 miles
    BHAA ESB Race|Thurs 26 May 2016|SANDYMOUNT|5km beach
    BHAA Government Services|Tues 31 May 2016|Dunboyne|5m Road
    BHAA Trinity Track|15 June 2016|Trinity|Track
    BHAA Prision Service|29 June 2016|Phoenix Park|5km Trail
    BHAA DCC 5km|13 July 2016|irishtown|5km
    BHAA Dublin Fire Brigade 5km|31 July 2016|Marino|5km
    SSE AIRTRICITY DUBLIN HALF MARATHON|24 Sept 2016|Phoenix Park|1/2 Marathon
    BHAA TEACHERS|15 Oct 2016|Castleknock|CC
    SSE AIRTRICITY DUBLIN HALF MARATHON|30 Oct 2016|Dublin|Marathon
    BHAA IRISH LIFE|26 Nov 2016|SANTRY|CC
    BHAA VODAFONE|11 Dec 2016|MARLAY|CC

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

I did that one. Remember thinking no way they will run this. Was great fun.

(a) Number of races - one race in November was cancelled as the course (Santry Demesne) was not available during the month. Otherwise, it was decided to reduce the number of races to ensure that quality could be maintained and to avoid having cross-country races well into March. Some people feel that the season should end in early March. Also, life sometimes gets in the way: race organisers are not able to get enough helpers and can't do it on their own etc.

(b) The race in The Ward? November 2010. That's getting like the GPO in 1916 - everyone claims to have been there, even though there were only 15 women and 97 men there on that very snowy day. One of my fondest running memories is finishing my "cool down" and seeing the last finisher come in. I asked him how he felt and he said he was absolutely thrilled. He had given up smoking but was in a bad way a year before and was now able to keep up with his small child. That's the thing about running, everyone can run their own race against themselves - and win. The same man is now doing marathons - not very fast because of the lung damage, but finishing them nevertheless. Unfortunately no video that I can find.

This one here was 2008 and great to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQ01L1NGqY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Anyone know what shape the ground is in for tomorrow's Eir XC race in Firhouse? Doing it either way but it'd be good to know..

Good race today, the ground was absolutely fine. Fantastic value as usual. Looking forward to two weeks time.

Next up is the Garda XC, which I ran last year, and have signed up for again. However, I imagine the ground will be much heavier this time around. Anyone else up for it?

https://bhaa.ie/events/garda-cc-2016/

• Advertisement

Jump back to 7 years ago

How many runners who appear in this video do you think will be running this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The conditions underfoot will be a lot different from those in the 2009 video.

But don't let that put anyone off: it's a great race. You're down a hill near the Magazine, a climb up/down and then up the Khyber. The flat part is usually splashy underfoot, so you never make up the time you need, then back down the hill near the Magazine, gaining no time on the downhill on account of the sliding downhill effect.

Overall it's a great race for giving the impression of being a continuous uphill climb!

The conditions underfoot will be a lot different from those in the 2009 video.

I did a session there last Saturday morning and it was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Always a good race this one, the Park is deceptively tough.

Tough going today all right. I found the hills tricky enough, and even on the straight the wind was against us. Still, I managed to knock nearly a minute off last year's time, so can only be delighted with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

First BHAA race this morning, in fact first ever cross country one :) Really enjoyed it, and would probably have enjoyed it a bit more if I had a pair of spikes. Quite mucky and slippy but good fun. Finished in 19:20 which I'm very happy with - and I didn't need to use my inhaler afterwards, which I'm even happier with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Great turnout yesterday, over 500 finishers. I don't ever remember the women's race having more finishers that the men's. The inclusion of the Lord Mayors Series really added to the atmosphere, I think the general consensus was that they enjoyed the XCountry experience.

It was tough out there, I thought it was going the rain but luckily it held off. You had to work all the way round, uphills, downhills and the wind in your face on the straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The Garda cross country was my first ever cross country. I found it quite tough, especially that hill 4 times. Still managed a reasonable time though. I did the RTE 5 mile last year and enjoyed that too so I decided to join BHAA this year and hopefully will get a lot more of their races under my belt, including more cross country.

Photos from the day are here if anybody is interested. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lordmayor/albums/72157663786689290

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The Garda cross country was my first ever cross country. I found it quite tough, especially that hill 4 times. Still managed a reasonable time though. I did the RTE 5 mile last year and enjoyed that too so I decided to join BHAA this year and hopefully will get a lot more of their races under my belt, including more cross country.

Photos from the day are here if anybody is interested. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lordmayor/albums/72157663786689290

Advertisement