Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Hall Of Fame 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

One thing that annoyed me was Ric Flair being inducted twice

Makes absolutely no sense, someone like Triple H would have to get 3 rings then for being himself, and in DX and Evolution

Then do you start awarding more HOF nominations based on different gimmicks ? Taker getting in twice for Biker Taker, and Deadman Taker for instance

Some of the people getting in is a joke, but getting in more than once makes a mockery of it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Godfather and I know their Hall of Fame is not to be taken too seriously but I find it a total joke that he is going in.

In other news, Meltzer is reporting that they have changed their minds on Brock vs Bray at Mania and that it will now be Brock vs Ambrose.

On paper I think this would be a much better match, but the thought of Ambrose beating Lesnar fills me with dismay. No disrespect to him but he should not be the one beating the Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like Godfather and I know their Hall of Fame is not to be taken too seriously but I find it a total joke that he is going in.

Hey, you cant spell HOF without HO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There are plenty of real legends that should be going in before the Ultimate Fighting Machine Kama.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Speaking of the Hall Of Fame, Lemmy for the "Celebrity" section, which should happen should Triple H get his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

One thing that annoyed me was Ric Flair being inducted twice

Makes absolutely no sense, someone like Triple H would have to get 3 rings then for being himself, and in DX and Evolution

Then do you start awarding more HOF nominations based on different gimmicks ? Taker getting in twice for Biker Taker, and Deadman Taker for instance

Some of the people getting in is a joke, but getting in more than once makes a mockery of it

This is actually perfectly normal. There are more than 20 people in the Rock 'n' Roll HOF twice. Lennon & The Beatles. Jackson & The Jackson 5. Genesis & Peter Gabriel. Eric Clapton & The Yardbirds. Etc, etc.

I think it's cool for a number of reasons. Firstly because it's a way of remembering great acts instead of great individuals. Secondly since the purpose of the WWE HOF is to sell tickets, it's very effective because it allows you to get more mileage out of people. And thirdly, it gives people who would never otherwise have their moment in the sun a chance to shine, like Blanchard, Dillon, Windham etc.

It's probably not worth getting worked up over. The WWE Hall of Fame exists to sell out an arena, and provide content for the network. No legitimate Hall of Fame is decided by one man's whim. That's all that this is. That it provides some genuinely touch moments is incidental. The idea that The Four Horsemen going in makes a mockery of a Hall Of Fame that features Vince McMahon's limo driver (James Dudley) is amusing though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I do think that they are scrapping the barrel with credible names for HOF at this stage.

Maybe only induct 2-3 that way you don't have filler or undeserving names go in each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They still have plenty of big names. I think it's fine to put some "lesser" guys in and give them one final moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I always think of the hall of fame decision making process a bit like the golden cleric award in father ted.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I always think of the hall of fame decision making process a bit like the golden cleric award in father ted.

Kevin Dunn: What about the Godfather?
    Vince: ....whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Love it! :pac:

*Triple H sitting back in his office chair* "What about the Godfather this year?"

VKM: "......whatever"

EDIT: Damn you MM!

I do think that they are scrapping the barrel with credible names for HOF at this stage.

Maybe only induct 2-3 that way you don't have filler or undeserving names go in each year.

2 - 3 isn't enough to fill out the card. You need a minimum of 6 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    2 - 3 isn't enough to fill out the card. You need a minimum of 6 really.

That goes against his entire point though. The HOF is becoming horribly diluted with average names. I'd rather see 1 big inductee every year than 6 or more. The whole point of a Hall of Fame is exclusivity, but they're letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in these days.

I don't agree with a lot of things Jericho says but he was 100% right here imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lads, Its Vinces HoF. He picks and chooses who he wants in, its not based on merit or achiements or performance. If it makes sense to Vince, then thats all the criteria you need.

Its really not to be taken seriously.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That goes against his entire point though. The HOF is becoming horribly diluted with average names. I'd rather see 1 big inductee every year than 6 or more. The whole point of a Hall of Fame is exclusivity, but they're letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in these days.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to see a wrestling hall of fame ceremony on a grand basis that really meant something, but unfortunately the WWE HOF is not that nor will it ever be so best not to get too distressed over it.

In the first class inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, James Dudley went in. James Dudley worked for Vince St collecting tickets at the gate, driving his limo, being his bodyguard, etc. George Steele, Johnny Rodz, Nikolai Volkoff, The Bushwhackers, Koko B. Ware, MR FUJI, Wendi Richter, Paul Bearer, Rikishi...there are a ton of marginal performers with mediocre careers in the WWE Hall of Fame. If the first class of the Hall of Fame contains a limo driver, and they've been putting in mid-carders most years since, exactly how can Jacqueline or Kama dilute it? That horse bolted a long, long time ago.

Luckily, you have some alternatives.

If you really do want a legitimate HOF, the Wrestling Observer HOF is decided on by the biggest names in the business and the most educated historians, and is extremely tough to get into:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_Observer_Newsletter_Hall_of_Fame

Strongly advise reading to Meltzer's bio's each year when someone new is inducted if you have a passion for the history of the business.

If you want to see a ceremony in which peers who respect each other honour one another, there's Cauliflower Alley:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_Alley_Club

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Lads, Its Vinces HoF. He picks and chooses who he wants in, its not based on merit or achiements or performance. If it makes sense to Vince, then thats all the criteria you need.

Its really not to be taken seriously.

This is absolutely spot on.

I think the recent Hall of Classes such as 2012, 2013, and 2014 were all good.

Last year Hall of Fame class was meh. Alundra Blayze was the only speech worth watching in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Always likened the Godfather to a comedy act myself, never had much time for the chap as he wasn't a whole lot to look at in the ring either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Strange couple of days with this being announced and Leonardo DiCaprio winning his Oscar too.

I wonder if they continue with Warrior award this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

might be almost time for us to vote in a new class to the boards HOF :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wrestlezone are reporting that
    Stan Hansen
    will be the next inductee

He's in the program so I'd sure hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Where did you manage to see the program for the event, fam?

I haven't seen it bro, Meltzer reported the names in the program about 3 weeks ago, which included Jacqui & Hansen

Snoop dog is the celebrity inductee just announced.

This is interesting:

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/legacy-award-be-added-wwe-hall-fame-210221

Seems like they want to add legitimacy to their HOF by pumping in a whole bunch of genuine, HOF worthy performers. Unfortunately, you can't put toothpaste back in a tube so it's pretty redundant.

• Advertisement

I've a question lads. Brutus the barber beefcake ? HOF Worthy ?

Advertisement