Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp LC-40CFE5221K 40-Inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Anyone know how you get the free delivery?? I was charged £14?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

ronanc1000 wrote:
    Best via Parcel Motel or An Post?? I want to buy but unsure as to what the safest postage is...

I would order from amazon and not other sellers...free returns....avoid parcel motel..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭CH3OH

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Anyone know how you get the free delivery?? I was charged £14?
    did youselect?
    Choose a delivery option:
    FREE Delivery (4-5 business days)

CH3OH wrote: »
    did youselect?
    Choose a delivery option:
    FREE Delivery (4-5 business days)

Got it sorted by canceling and re ordering. Seems extreme but I was charged €283 in total. When I cancelled and re ordered, & payed in GBP got it for €249. Think this was as the first order was via 1 click buy so watch out for that. €34 saved is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Just bought 2.. one for the spare room and one for the parents in law.. 2 40inch tv for 517..pretty good.

Is there anything extra I need to setup freeview for my parents in law, at the moment they have the old external saorview boxes so i was hoping to replace the lot with this tv and hopefully get a few extra channels for them.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The Amazon review here is a bit telling. Anyone know how much the Bush mentioned in this review costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Amazon review here is a bit telling. Anyone know how much the Bush mentioned in this review costs?

I dont think there is a comparable Bush TV on the site.

Plus it's the only one mentioning a similarity to bush which I doubt it. I think they may allude to a exterior appearance and not interior imo as no bush model type is mentioned so I wouldn't find it telling from one comment I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

That review is for the 22 inch model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Plus it's the only one mentioning a similarity to bush which I doubt it. I think they may allude to a exterior appearance and not interior imo as no bush model type is mentioned so I wouldn't find it telling from one comment I think.

Sharp are just a re-brand of low-end Vestel/UMC/etc these days, the same as Bush essentially.

They're in no way superior to Bush, simply because they all come from the same place.

This is very good value at the price mentioned, but don't kid yourself that you're getting a higher-end TV - you're not, it's a bog standard low-end TV, no different to the Walker/Bush/Blue Diamond/Cello/type televisions.

• Advertisement

Sharp are just a re-brand of low-end Vestel/UMC/etc these days, the same as Bush essentially.

They're in no way superior to Bush, simply because they all come from the same place.

This is very good value at the price mentioned, but don't kid yourself that you're getting a higher-end TV - you're not, it's a bog standard low-end TV, no different to the Walker/Bush/Blue Diamond/Cello/type televisions.

The review was in relation to the 22" model sharp that was thought to have similarities, not this model. I am confidant it's a great buy and has advantages over your mentioned brands. Didn't say it was massive high end stuff, just not in that same bracket as what was quoted which was a different tv that person compared, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭King_Joffery

Would this tv be any good for a ps4 or should i look elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The review was in relation to the 22" model sharp that was thought to have similarities, not this model. I am confidant it's a great buy and has advantages over your mentioned brands. Didn't say it was massive high end stuff, just not in that same bracket as what was quoted which was a different tv that person compared, imo.

Sharp these days are manufactured by the same people that make those brands I mentioned. The TV in question here is no different to those brands, same origin really. The only thing that's 'Sharp' about the TV is the logo. It's nothing to do with that review, it's just how things are, and what the Sharp name means these days.

Still a good buy at €250 but it is no different to the 40" Bush/Technika/Walker/etc available to pick up in stores here for €320-350.

UMC make Sharp TV's now, between themselves and Vestel they make the vast majority of all of the low-cost TV's on the market. They also make Toshiba's low-end TV's for example, which, like the Sharp range now, are just cheap TV's with a Toshiba logo slapped on them, and are in no way comparable to the 'proper' Toshiba TV's.

Have a 50" Sharp Aquos myself that cost €449 here, made by UMC (even branded UMC in all menu's), picture quality is pretty decent, bog standard 50hz set, audio quality is pretty bad.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TerrorFirmer is exactly right. You can add JVC and low-end Panasonic's too.

Still a good price nonetheless.

Sharp these days are manufactured by the same people that make those brands I mentioned. The TV in question here is no different to those brands, same origin really. The only thing that's 'Sharp' about the TV is the logo. It's nothing to do with that review, it's just how things are, and what the Sharp name means these days.

Still a good buy at €250 but it is no different to the 40" Bush/Technika/Walker/etc available to pick up in stores here for €320-350.

UMC make Sharp TV's now, between themselves and Vestel they make the vast majority of all of the low-cost TV's on the market. They also make Toshiba's low-end TV's for example, which, like the Sharp range now, are just cheap TV's with a Toshiba logo slapped on them, and are in no way comparable to the 'proper' Toshiba TV's.

Have a 50" Sharp Aquos myself that cost €449 here, made by UMC (even branded UMC in all menu's), picture quality is pretty decent, bog standard 50hz set, audio quality is pretty bad.

Yep, spot on but I think as someone like yourself that has a Sharp already if push came to shove you'd pick the sharp over a bush set surely, as you use one. I'm upgrading from a 32" Normende 720p! Lol, and I paid 300 for it 5 years ago, that's what made the sharp appeal to me bigtime. Planning to buy a soundbar down the road, and that thin bezel looks class imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Yep, spot on but I think as someone like yourself that has a Sharp already if push came to shove you'd pick the sharp over a bush set surely, as you use one. I'm upgrading from a 32" Normende 720p! Lol, and I paid 300 for it 5 years ago, that's what made the sharp appeal to me bigtime. Planning to buy a soundbar down the road, and that thin bezel looks class imo.
    Makes no odds, all of those cheaper brands are made in the same place, even Panasonic are doing it now with a couple of models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Pretty much upgrading from the same. 32inch Sony 720p. The 720p was just annoying at this stage, this is a nice upgrade! :) Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Fuller spec here:

http://www.rocheav.co.uk/_uploads/Sharp%20LC-40CFE5221K%20spec%20sheet.pdf

Tempted to recommend for my folks. Should I be wary of the 50Hz? I'm assuming that wouldn't be a factor for normal (UPC) use?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

beecee wrote: »
    Fuller spec here:

http://www.rocheav.co.uk/_uploads/Sharp%20LC-40CFE5221K%20spec%20sheet.pdf

Tempted to recommend for my folks. Should I be wary of the 50Hz? I'm assuming that wouldn't be a factor for normal (UPC) use?

Bit of a explanation on refresh rates. Doesn't really go into 50 Hz but will give you an idea as they look at 60Hz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRR7Fh4Q62o

We just have to wait and see what the quality will be like.

I should receive my TV by early next week.
    Upgrading from a 32inch Philips I bought in 2007 for 1,200 Euro so couldn't be much worse than what I am used to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Might be a silly question but for freeview do i need to plug this into the wall?(white cable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Mmmh quite tempted by this but as it will primarily be used for watching sports and playing the playstation I'm a little wary now about the 50Hz refresh rate being blurry. As I'm not very well versed in that side of things it's not a figure I would have been concerned with but now I'm not sure. Am I reading too much into that one aspect do ye reckon? seems a great bargain, that aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but for freeview do i need to plug this into the wall?(white cable)

You'll need to connect it to a Saorview antenna, whether that is an indoor/attic or outdoor depends on your signal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Fackin fack..... went to buy one.... they have feck in doubled in price..... fackedy fack

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Fackin fack..... went to buy one.... they have feck in doubled in price..... fackedy fack

Tesco still have the reduced price of £179 still ongoing. Get it via Parcel Motel I'd say.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sharp-lc40cfe5221k-40-inch-full-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/301-8207.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=301-8207

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Back again in Amazon. £179 which converts to £183.48 inc Irish VaT rates. Ordered this wall bracket for £7.99 with it http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWVF3L0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Use Revolut card to save on exchange rates.

Thanks OP.

TV arrived today. Very fast delivery!!!

Fairly happy with it. Decent picture for TV shows etc

Bit of motion blur watching some fast moving sports :rolleyes:

For the price though ya cannot complain at all!! :p

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Mine arrived too - all setup.

Anyone else get theirs today? How's it going? Expecting mine on Monday hopefully, will probably need a soundbar down the line to improve the audio.

Have to say I don't see / hear any major issues with the audio.
    In have the sound on about 24-30 out of 100 on the volume and no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Have to say I don't see / hear any major issues with the audio. In have to sound on about 24-30 out of 100 on the volume and no probs.

Agreed the sound is actually much better than I had expected :)

Advertisement