Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's/PC World Sale.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Short answer to the "bargain laptop question":

All laptop makers by default have been shipping machines with screens which are not up to standard for years now; significantly worse than the screen in your phone. If choosing a laptop, try and get one which is either 1920x1080 ("full hd") OR is "IPS" type. You won't get both in a bargain laptop, but you might get one.

The biggest factor in a laptop's speed now is whether it has an SSD. If it doesn't, ask in the shop is the hard drive a "2.5 inch sata" upgradeable one (some are soldered and glued into the machine). You can get small ssd's very cheap so you can upgrade later.

Practically all laptops come with Intel processors. Their competitor is AMD, but they haven't made a decent laptop processor for years. Avoid a laptop with an AMD processor, battery life will be much poorer and it'll run hotter. Intel processors have deliberately confusing names so they can offload crap when it suits them. Generally, Celeron < Pentium < i3 < i5 < i7.

Biggest thing with laptops now is that all the shops got caught out by people moving en masse to tablets, which means that there's a huge amount of stock which is about 5 years old that they're trying to get rid of (and can't because it's years out of date).

So your questions for a "good" laptop are:
    What's the model number? Google it and try and find out how old that model is.
    Does it have a screen which is IPS or "full hd"? Either one indicates a better spec of screen.
    Does it have an SSD? If not, can one be installed?
    Does it have an AMD processor? If so, avoid. If not, someone doing serious work would benefit from an i3 or i5. Pentium is fine for web browsing etc.

Probably the wrong thread, but my laptop has QHD and the default resolution is 3200x1800, is that better than HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Stheno wrote: »
    Probably the wrong thread, but my laptop has QHD and the default resolution is 3200x1800, is that better than HD?

Yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

what's your laptop? My Envy 13 has the same resolution. Great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That lg has 2 HDMI ports for anyone considering. Specs are wrong on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭droidman123

RossieMan wrote: »
    That lg has 2 HDMI ports for anyone considering. Specs are wrong on the website.

You definitly sure about that? If that is correct i would consider buying it for sure.i checked it on amazon and it said it only had one hdmi port,in the reviews most people said it was a great tv but for the one hdmi port

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,961 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

firsthouse wrote: »
    I bought a replacement TV for the bedroom earlier. The 32" Samsung Smart LED Full HD in PC World/Currys earlier for 279.99 and Im very impressed. The picture definition and sound is great and the smart TV capabilities are very good. Runs Netflix Youtube etc when synced to your wifi and syncs to the Samsung smart phone i have to run Showbox. Cant fault it especially at that price and be very hard to find a cheaper Smart 32" TV in Powercity, Argos etc... For a replacement bedroom TV with smart capabilities and full HD ya can't go wrong. Money well spent imo

Do you have a link ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Techmaster wrote: »
    what's your laptop? My Envy 13 has the same resolution. Great machine.

Same :)

Only problem is that using a regular monitor with it as a second screen is horrific.

Same :)

Only problem is that using a regular monitor with it as a second screen is horrific.

Woop, awesome.

Light bleed an issue on yours? I have a small bit.

Woop, awesome.

Light bleed an issue on yours? I have a small bit.

No it's only a few weeks old :)

No it's only a few weeks old :)

OK cool. i5 or i7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

You definitly sure about that? If that is correct i would consider buying it for sure.i checked it on amazon and it said it only had one hdmi port,in the reviews most people said it was a great tv but for the one hdmi port

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LF561V
    Jack Pack (Side)
    • USB 2.0
    • HDMI
    • CI slot
    • Yes

HIDE Jack Pack (Rear)
    • RF In
    • Full Scart
    • Composite In (CVBS + Audio)
    • Component in (Y,Pb,Pr) + Audio
    • Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/ Optical)
    • HDMI
    • 1(Optical)

it says one in rear one in side

OK cool. i5 or i7?

i5

Monkeynut wrote: »
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LF561V

Thanks for that, i mis read the specs on amazon,think i,m going to dive in

i5

Nice. I won my i7 from my employer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Your laptop is not a "bargain laptop" so while it's very nice, at over €1k it's not relevant to the types of laptops people are asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Can anyone recommend a good laptop/deal for around €500 mark or less . Used mostly for work, will download open office. Also use Internet Explorer for online banking, use Google/ gmail/Google docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Looks like a great tv for the price,i was going to order that one yesterday,only thing that stopped me was only one hdmi port

Can't speak for the LG but Tesco are doing a nice Sharp 43" for €379. Got one for the parents quality is great for the money. Its 100hz 3 HDMI / 2 USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

Can anyone recommend a good laptop/deal for around €500 mark or less . Used mostly for work, will download open office. Also use Internet Explorer for online banking, use Google/ gmail/Google docs.

+1
    Can anyone please recommend a fairly decent laptop on sale at €600 or less and also, can people please recommend where to buy? I was thinking of going for the HP as mentioned in original post but am wavering after reading other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Short answer to the "bargain laptop question":

All laptop makers by default have been shipping machines with screens which are not up to standard for years now; significantly worse than the screen in your phone. If choosing a laptop, try and get one which is either 1920x1080 ("full hd") OR is "IPS" type. You won't get both in a bargain laptop, but you might get one.

The biggest factor in a laptop's speed now is whether it has an SSD. If it doesn't, ask in the shop is the hard drive a "2.5 inch sata" upgradeable one (some are soldered and glued into the machine). You can get small ssd's very cheap so you can upgrade later.

Practically all laptops come with Intel processors. Their competitor is AMD, but they haven't made a decent laptop processor for years. Avoid a laptop with an AMD processor, battery life will be much poorer and it'll run hotter. Intel processors have deliberately confusing names so they can offload crap when it suits them. Generally, Celeron < Pentium < i3 < i5 < i7.

Biggest thing with laptops now is that all the shops got caught out by people moving en masse to tablets, which means that there's a huge amount of stock which is about 5 years old that they're trying to get rid of (and can't because it's years out of date).

So your questions for a "good" laptop are:
    What's the model number? Google it and try and find out how old that model is.
    Does it have a screen which is IPS or "full hd"? Either one indicates a better spec of screen.
    Does it have an SSD? If not, can one be installed?
    Does it have an AMD processor? If so, avoid. If not, someone doing serious work would benefit from an i3 or i5. Pentium is fine for web browsing etc.

I agree with everything above, would just like to add that processor model number is very important too, I.e. The number that comes after the i3,i5 + i7. There is 6 generations of these chips now and a lot of places push the fact that the laptop has an i- processor, but it might well be 3/4 years old. The chip in the original link is the 6th generation so is a good chip.

I saw the advert for this laptop and was considering buying it, but putt off a bit now. It's hard to get a laptop with Ssd as recommended here for the same money as above! Would love to see some recommendations or links to websites where these much cheaper prices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

etxp wrote: »
    I agree with everything above, would just like to add that processor model number is very important too, I.e. The number that comes after the i3,i5 + i7. There is 6 generations of these chips now and a lot of places push the fact that the laptop has an i- processor, but it might well be 3/4 years old. The chip in the original link is the 6th generation so is a good chip.

I saw the advert for this laptop and was considering buying it, but putt off a bit now. It's hard to get a laptop with Ssd as recommended here for the same money as above! Would love to see some recommendations or links to websites where these much cheaper prices are.

True, but Intel haven't actually made massive gains in processors over the last 5 generations, they've mostly been concentrating on battery life and less awful graphics. If you're using a laptop for games you're probably still going to want discrete graphics even with skylake because the iris pro ones dull cost a fortune. And what they've done with the improved battery life is take the opportunity to install smaller batteries... So everything ends up about equal.

Laptop makers really have been shooting themselves in the foot for years now, it's depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭gn3dr

+1
    Can anyone please recommend a fairly decent laptop on sale at €600 or less and also, can people please recommend where to buy? I was thinking of going for the HP as mentioned in original post but am wavering after reading other posts.

I got this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057540909 a few days ago in Currys / PC World
    Happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Bought this yesterday in Currys.

Can't wait to go home and unwrap it today!

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/43uf680v-smart-ultra-hd-4k-43-led-tv/327724/404.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the LG listed above - can confirm it has 2xHDMI and is a good TV with surprisingly decent sound. Only thing to look out for is that it has very wide spaced feet, so if you're putting it on a table make sure it's wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What height does the actual screen start at?

I have a sound bar sitting in front of my existing TV and would like to pick up the LG but a little worried that the soundbar will obscure the base of the screen.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I have the LG listed above - can confirm it has 2xHDMI and is a good TV with surprisingly decent sound. Only thing to look out for is that it has very wide spaced feet, so if you're putting it on a table make sure it's wide enough.

I ended up ordering this tv today from pc world.i noticed that it runs web os as opposed to the latest web os 2,i dont think its a dealbreaker for me,but do you know if there is much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I ended up ordering this tv today from pc world.i noticed that it runs web os as opposed to the latest web os 2,i dont think its a dealbreaker for me,but do you know if there is much of a difference?

The one I have is non-smart, so dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

+1

i5 5th gen with 8gb ram and 1080p display

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/asus-x555la-156-laptop-black/328581/396.0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Monkeynut wrote: »

That's what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Hi - What TV did u order - Make & Model.
    May I also ask what price u paid.

LG TVs were all updated to WEBOS2.1 circa Sept'15.

To Check / Update:-
    On LG Remote Control - Select Settings.
    - Select Support: (?) Icon
    - Select Software Update
    - Select ON for Update & Automatic Update
    Mode for future Auto Updates.

I suggest u also register ur LG TV with LG.CO.UK
    The site will advice latest update.

• Advertisement

Hi - What TV did u order - Make & Model.
    May I also ask what price u paid.

LG TVs were all updated to WEBOS2.1 circa Sept'15.

To Check / Update:-
    On LG Remote Control - Select Settings.
    - Select Support: (?) Icon
    - Select Software Update
    - Select ON for Update & Automatic Update
    Mode for future Auto Updates.

I suggest u also register ur LG TV with LG.CO.UK
    The site will advice latest update.

This is the one I ordered

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/43uf680v-smart-ultra-hd-4k-43-led-tv/327724/404.0.1?awc=5295_1451479492_2bb4a01d5de6d26519efe25aabdde95b
    Same as another poster a few posts back.I don't expect to receive it until maybe next week sometime.I read a review of it (cant remember what site) it said it had web os as opposed to web os 2. It could of been an out dated review though.thanks for the Info above

Advertisement