Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's/PC World Sale.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

dubal wrote: »
    I have windows 10 on multiple devices since launch

And you don't mind that every single character you type in, all your logins and passwords, screenschoots of your activities, emails and everything you write goes to MS servers and God knows where else? Well, this is your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Any deals on the Kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conorlly

Currys/PC world/Harvey Norman price: €1000

Actual price online on any half decent retailer is half that.

Can someone link for the same product from any half decent retailer? I've come up with nada. From webites
    looking around I thought this was a decent deal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ecomac wrote: »
    And you don't mind that every single character you type in, all your logins and passwords, screenschoots of your activities, emails and everything you write goes to MS servers and God knows where else? Well, this is your choice.

No many of us don't. And the above is a pure exaggeration

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    And the above is a pure exaggeration

No, it's not. But if you are happy enough I'll let you live in your matrix. Not everybody wants to take the red pill. And besides - this is "Brain alerts" thread, so I'm not going to elaborate this subject any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They rolled all that stuff from Windows 10 into 8 and 7 as patches. So they are all the same. So either learn how to turn all that off, or switch to Linux. While W10 has its issues you're not going to be able to buy a laptop without it, its its hardly relevant to a bargains thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

beauf wrote: »
    They rolled all that stuff from Windows 10 into 8 and 7 as patches.

True.
    beauf wrote: »
    So they are all the same.

Not necessarily.

https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-updates-spy-on-windows7-8-users/
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Start a new thread. I love the tech tinfoil hat ones.

use Google or buy a roll of aluminium foil from Dealz and DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'll check in again tomorrow lads but I'm just gonna make a mystic meg prediction here - I foresee pages of condescension, "I know something you don't know" and very little in the way of useful alternative suggestions for a budget laptop for average joe.

• Advertisement

maudgone wrote: »

I thought that spec was decent. But I don't think the price is really a sale price. As a sweeping generalization I find Currys expensive, and their sale prices are generally only matching, normal prices elsewhere.

HP do ok in relaiblity ratings.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

Personally I would prefer a laptop with a SSD and higher screen res. But what I do like on this one is that it has 2x USB 3 and WIFI AC. A lot of new cheaper laptops don't.

You can do the same in Windows 10 so yes its the same. MS want to track what you are doing.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

They want to do the same as Google and Faceache and all the others are going. Watch dragons den, anyone with an IT product the dragons are all interested in the data captured. Thats where you make money.
    use Google or buy a roll of aluminium foil from Dealz and DIY

They all track your usage. Google, Faceache, Lockedin. You have to work very hard to minimize it. Again its got nothing to do with buying hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

VAX Steam Clean Multi S85-CM Steam Mop - White & Blue 24.99

[www].currys.ie/Product/vax-steam-clean-multi-s85cm-steam-mop-white-and-blue/334461/396.0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Toast

Anyone who reserved anything actually get a confirmation mail? The webpage says reserved but no indication of a tracking number... no option to pay on site... email finally came through saying we didn't complete the order. Tried a couple of times now. Their twitter is thousands of days idle and no direct number for the store we've allegedly reserved at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Toast wrote: »
    Anyone who reserved anything actually get a confirmation mail? The webpage says reserved but no indication of a tracking number... no option to pay on site... email finally came through saying we didn't complete the order. Tried a couple of times now. Their twitter is thousands of days idle and no direct number for the store we've allegedly reserved at.

Check your junk mail. It's where mine was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

emm.. turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Etnies wrote: »
    emm.. turn it off?
    Nahh you're far better off to just wrap your laptop in tin foil and keep it in the microwave when you're not using it.

Has the handy benefit of charging the battery (but only if it's a newer model).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

seems like a great bargain ill take ten............. is there any bargain alert on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any decent TV deals here? Not too up on specs of tvs, would just want something decent that could play ps4 on and watch a few films, doesn't need to be a smart TV, have plenty of boxes to pop onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 firsthouse

I bought a replacement TV for the bedroom earlier. The 32" Samsung Smart LED Full HD in PC World/Currys earlier for 279.99 and Im very impressed. The picture definition and sound is great and the smart TV capabilities are very good. Runs Netflix Youtube etc when synced to your wifi and syncs to the Samsung smart phone i have to run Showbox. Cant fault it especially at that price and be very hard to find a cheaper Smart 32" TV in Powercity, Argos etc... For a replacement bedroom TV with smart capabilities and full HD ya can't go wrong. Money well spent imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Short answer to the "bargain laptop question":

All laptop makers by default have been shipping machines with screens which are not up to standard for years now; significantly worse than the screen in your phone. If choosing a laptop, try and get one which is either 1920x1080 ("full hd") OR is "IPS" type. You won't get both in a bargain laptop, but you might get one.

The biggest factor in a laptop's speed now is whether it has an SSD. If it doesn't, ask in the shop is the hard drive a "2.5 inch sata" upgradeable one (some are soldered and glued into the machine). You can get small ssd's very cheap so you can upgrade later.

Practically all laptops come with Intel processors. Their competitor is AMD, but they haven't made a decent laptop processor for years. Avoid a laptop with an AMD processor, battery life will be much poorer and it'll run hotter. Intel processors have deliberately confusing names so they can offload crap when it suits them. Generally, Celeron < Pentium < i3 < i5 < i7.

Biggest thing with laptops now is that all the shops got caught out by people moving en masse to tablets, which means that there's a huge amount of stock which is about 5 years old that they're trying to get rid of (and can't because it's years out of date).

So your questions for a "good" laptop are:
    What's the model number? Google it and try and find out how old that model is.
    Does it have a screen which is IPS or "full hd"? Either one indicates a better spec of screen.
    Does it have an SSD? If not, can one be installed?
    Does it have an AMD processor? If so, avoid. If not, someone doing serious work would benefit from an i3 or i5. Pentium is fine for web browsing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

dorito92 wrote: »
    Have one, very happy with it, I think it cost around 400 a few months ago, bought in a smaller non chain shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Looks like a great tv for the price,i was going to order that one yesterday,only thing that stopped me was only one hdmi port

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Looks like a great tv for the price,i was going to order that one yesterday,only thing that stopped me was only one hdmi port

thanks droid i was thinking it might be too good to be true, is one HDMI port a big drawback? the tv would have a sky box and dvd player, occasionally a laptop connected to it is one HDMI port enough?

thanks droid i was thinking it might be too good to be true, is one HDMI port a big drawback? the tv would have a sky box and dvd player, occasionally a laptop connected to it is one HDMI port enough?

Well one could be enough,but you would have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting your hdmi leads for various boxes and dvd players,media players etc.if it had even just one more hdmi port for an extra 30 euros or so i would of jumped on this.

You can get a HDMI Switcher box.

But you have to consider if the single HDMI port breaks the TV is basically unusable unless you can get it fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I have to say that I really cannot fathom why they sell TV's with a single hdmi port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Could always get something like

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/cables-and-accessories/logik-3-way-hdmi-switch-box-21952490-pdt.html

Not sure on that one specifically but used a different type and it seemed to work well.

• Advertisement

Tippex wrote: »
    I have to say that I really cannot fathom why they sell TV's with a single hdmi port.

Same here,especially now with all the "addons" people have for their tv,doesnt make sense.its such a pity that tv only had one hdmi port,i was going to buy it for sure only for that, even as i said earlier,if it was 30 or 40 euro dearer with an extra hdmi port

Advertisement