Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM EVA Strong winds Wednesday 23rd. Gusts possible up to 120km/h

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Drove from limerick city to Waterville in kerry last night. A lot of what I drove through between limerick and casteisland was standard enough bad winter weather.

What I encountered in particular stretches between there and Waterville was the worst combination of rain and wind I've ever dealt with in a car. "Relentless" ;-) Really nasty stuff.

Definite "don't make unnecessary journeys" stuff. I keep my car well maintained, better than average tyres,wipers,bulbs and it ate it all up with AWD. They would indeed have been treacherous roads for someone with 2wd and the cheapest of tyres, wipers and bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Ger8 wrote: »
    Very strong winds in Galway city now.

Yeah Marine Institute showing a 93KPH gust at 6:25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just posted on the White Christmas thread.. a I predicted the northerly mountains behind me are scattered with white... South Kerry 400 asl; the mountains being considerably higher.. photo to follow 372563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Drove from limerick city to Waterville in kerry last night. A lot of what I drove through between limerick and casteisland was standard enough bad winter weather.

What I encountered in particular stretches between there and Waterville was the worst combination of rain and wind I've ever dealt with in a car. "Relentless" ;-) Really nasty stuff.

Definite "don't make unnecessary journeys" stuff. I keep my car well maintained, better than average tyres,wipers,bulbs and it ate it all up with AWD. They would indeed have been treacherous roads for someone with 2wd and the cheapest of tyres, wipers and bulbs.

Sure why didn't you go for swim in the sea while you were at it. Your actions were idiotic 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Its all about preperation and awareness.

Sounds like you were well prepared for the journey you had to make and were aware of the conditions you were likely to encounter.

Apart from actual physical blockages of roads (which simply meant re-routing), I've not failed to make a journey even in the worst of weather conditions. A successful and safe journey in poor conditions really is about preparing for the journey you're undertaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sideswipe wrote: »
    Sure why didn't you go for swim in the sea while you were at it. Your actions were idiotic 😉
    He has learned from his experiences and thus is in the best possible "place" to advise others. He " could " have just said nothing but is doing the responsible thing so well done to him and thanks to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

there was a Gust of 73 knots in Belmullet earlier which is 84 miles per hour or 135 KM/PH , it was rough ,as forecast, right along the north west coast of Mayo. go a bit inland ,eg Castlebar and its just a wet and windy night. the warnings and names are here to stay. i would be kinda old school for example back in the day when met eireann warned of a storm coming it usually be bad , then again esb infrastructure has improved a lot and storms dont tend to cause as much damage. I think the media jump the minute a warning is issued and a hype gets going when really theres no real need for it, unless of course a bad one is approaching.

I'm home in Belmullet for the Christmas and yesterday evening we had some of the strongest winds in a long time. It didn't last too long thankfully.
    We also had some thunder and lightening at 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Your bulbs and wippers aren't going to help you much when a tree limb falls and crushes your car like a tin can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Comhrá

HighLine wrote: »
    Your bulbs and wippers aren't going to help you much when a tree limb falls and crushes your car like a tin can.

But they're great when it's lashing rain and very dark outside with poor or non-existant road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    No need to get so personal - play the ball and not the man please

and

Can we 'steer' this discussion back to discussing weather

Thanks Guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I was looking at yesterday's weather on met.ie for the 23/12 and it gave the top gust for Belmullet at 65 knots. I thought in the latest reports at for around 6 or 7pm that the station reported mean 45knts gust 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pretzill wrote: »
    Not completely new to the forum but what name will x be? BTW I guessed Frank as next one but haven't been following the nomenclature at all! ;) Welcome Gaoth Laidir.

No x being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
    Not completely new to the forum but what name will x be? BTW I guessed Frank as next one but haven't been following the nomenclature at all! Welcome Gaoth Laidir.

Evelyn mentioned 'Fred' as as possibility when asked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Storm names are: Abigail, Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod note
    No need to get so personal - play the ball and not the man please

and

Can we 'steer' this discussion back to discussing weather

Thanks Guys
    I was totally being sarcastic, thought everybody new the Theresa Manion song!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I was totally being sarcastic, thought everybody new the Theresa Manion song!!!!

Few people took the whole thing a bit too seriously alright. Storm in a teacup wha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement