Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM EVA Strong winds Wednesday 23rd. Gusts possible up to 120km/h

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just popped outside in Dubin, blustery and very cold. Can see the moon between the clouds.

Were is this wind we were promised? (hoping it doesn't come!!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Very gusty in Dublin 10. Just managed to lift thr top off of a small storage bunker that had a cement block on top to hold it down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Pouring here in Ardfet, rain rate 55mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coillsaille

So we’ve now reached the fifth named storm and so far every one of them has resulted in posts in this forum either criticizing a certain event being named or condemning the whole idea of naming weather systems.
    As someone living {and raised) right on the coast in Connemara, I can understand the posts saying "but this is just another winter gale, we’re well used to it".

But the bottom line is safety. Those winter gales we are so used to have caused plenty of trouble, injuries and deaths down through the years. In many cases it was avoidable if people had been more informed of the impeding weather conditions. Naming these depressions gets them media attention, media is what people tend to rely on for information. This new naming system may well have saved lives already, we'll never know really. But I know it hasn't cost any.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

wind has settled in sw donegal finally. still rainin away though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

wind has settled in sw donegal finally. still rainin away though.

Its always raining in SW Donegal...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UKMO Airmet Discussion from 8 pm.

FAUK21 EGRR 232000

AIRMET AREA FORECAST, UK-OUTLOOK-AND-UPDATE,

VALID DEC 23/2100Z TO 24/0300Z.

MET-SITUATION: AT 00Z: THE UK LIES IN A VERY STRONG S-SW FLOW. COLD FRONT LIES N6000 W00700 TO S UIST TO LONDONDERRY TO WATERFORD MOV E 25KT. VERY STRONG UNSTABLE WSW FLOW FOLLOWS FRONT.

OUTLOOK: UNTIL DEC 25/1200Z:

REMAINDER OF THURSDAY:

INTENSE LOW PASSES NW OF SCOTLAND, BRINGING A COLD FRONT E ACROSS ALL PARTS AT 25KT, TO LIE PORTSMOUTH TO THE WASH BY 12Z, CLEARING FAR SE ENGLAND BY 15Z. STRONG UNSTABLE W FLOW WILL FOLLOW.

SE OF FRONT: ISOL SHRA WITH BKN CUSC. STRONG TO GALE S WINDS WITH SEV LOW LEVEL TURB. SEV MTW.

COLD FRONT: WDSPR RA, ISOL HVY RA. RISK OF TS AND EMBD CB AT FIRST S OF N5300. BKN/OVC CUSC AND AC, OCNL BKN ST AND HILL FG. STRONG TO GALE S WINDS WITH SEV LOW LEVEL TURB. SEV MTW.

W OF FRONT: OCNL SHRA, MAINLY W AND N, WITH SCT/BKN CUAC. ISOL HVY SHRA OR TSGS, MAINLY IN NW, WITH ISOL CB. WINDS GEN STRONG W OR SW, BUT GALE OR SEVERE GALE FORCE SW IN FAR N, WITH SEV LOW LEVEL TURB.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

blowing bad in cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It was windier earlier on around 8pm near Limerick City. But yet to brace this squall line that is showing up in the rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sitting on the fourth floor in an apartment in Dublin 1 and it sounds like my windows are going to blow in :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its all quiet in the SW Kerry mountains now, light drizzle, little wind.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wind calmed completely South Sligo - but about 40 minutes ago it was like someone was throwing buckets of water at the windows - (squall line?) Thankfully Eva has prooved kinder than Desmond tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Wind speed is getting high in slane now. Gusts are quite startling in their intensity.
    Stay safe!

Gust of 51 knots at Dublin Airport right now, according to ATC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Achill coastguard reporting trees fallen in Achill. It must be bad down there for trees to be knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Southern end of the squall line losing definition/energy.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

there was a Gust of 73 knots in Belmullet earlier which is 84 miles per hour or 135 KM/PH , it was rough ,as forecast, right along the north west coast of Mayo. go a bit inland ,eg Castlebar and its just a wet and windy night. the warnings and names are here to stay. i would be kinda old school for example back in the day when met eireann warned of a storm coming it usually be bad , then again esb infrastructure has improved a lot and storms dont tend to cause as much damage. I think the media jump the minute a warning is issued and a hype gets going when really theres no real need for it, unless of course a bad one is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Lashing in East Clare, though not quite as gusty as earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Limerick itself got 3 warnings..

And even after the 3 warnings, did it listen?? Noooo....so it got the naughty step :p

Blowing like the bejaysus here. Started about 21.00 and is getting stronger and stronger. Already lost a fence so far this winter to high wind.
    By the sounds of it outside, I reckon something else will be gone by morning :(
    (Meath/Cavan border)

The naming system is here to stay for now. No point in talking it to death.
    The next storm is Frank, the one after that, Gertrude. Now let's just see when and how they happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

welcome newbie Gaoth Laidir, us folk here a while know well what names are next, we welcome your input to the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have to say from an IMBY point of view the models got this badly wrong, much stronger than was shown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

welcome newbie Gaoth Laidir, us folk here a while know well what names are next, we welcome your input to the weather forum.

Not completely new to the forum but what name will x be? BTW I guessed Frank as next one but haven't been following the nomenclature at all! ;) Welcome Gaoth Laidir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Much calmer in South Donegal. A few twigs and small branches scattered on the driveway. Usual breezy evening. Will the squall make it to the son in Celbridge?

x will be a very special one Pretzill lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some of the gusts tonight have been the strongest so far this winter in my part of Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Just lost power in West Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

We had a period of strong gusts here and the odd violent gust but nothing too severe.
    We're about 4 miles west of Newport and up on a hill exposed from the SW.

Also welcome to Gaoth Laidir

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This storm seems to have caught a lot of people off guard. There's quite a few trees down in my area making roads impassible (Newport, Tipperary). Fire brigade have been out since 8pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement