Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM EVA Strong winds Wednesday 23rd. Gusts possible up to 120km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Some of the gusts tonight have been the strongest so far this winter in my part of Carlow.

It is bizarre that Oak Park has only hit 85kmh when my station hit 92kmh, mine is in a frost hollow with higher lands to the South West, gusts at more exposed areas of Tullow must have been in excess of 100km easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Squall line dissapated somewhat when it passed here near Tralee, still dropped over 9.00mm in a short space of time - 18.2mm since 18.30 ( total 20.2mm since midnight ). Down the back reading the manual gauge, the place is waterlogged. Much calmer now with an avg speed of 10 kph SW,

Temp dropping too now at 8.8C.

Bar 994.3 hPa Steady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Seems to be getting much worse near Cork city at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Pretty wild here in Cork harbour, with a constant loud drone the last couple of hours. Just heard a plane 'go around' from the airport over us. Would not like to be on that flight tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The latest radar shows the squall line gaining strength and definition. It must build up in strength so it can clobber cumbria, thats compulsory recently.

SB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sherkin island gusting 65 knots... 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sherkin island gusting 65 knots... 11pm

There was a sudden drop in mean windspeed from 23 m/s (44 kts) to 15 m/s (29 kts) at 22:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevenmartin99

Now 12,000 ESB Customers without power!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No wonder Corks getting it, all of a sudden the southern end of the squall line has got speed and split away. Its sitting over Cork.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

All calm in Galway now. Garden is under water though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

That thing is beautiful

They rarely have such a definite line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The squall passed over me near Limerick city. Brief period of very heavy rain but a non event wind wise. According to ESB Networks powercheck there is a power cut nearby down my road. But I have power at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Dublin airport ATC reporting rain just starting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That squall line is still well alive!

Airmet from the UKMO, 2200Z

FAUK57 EGRR 232200

AIRMET AREA FORECAST, NORTHERN REGION,

VALID DEC 23/2300Z TO 24/0700Z.

MET-SITUATION: AT 00Z, A VERY STRONG S FLOW AFFECTS THE
    REGION WITH A COLD FRONT LYING FROM MALIN HEAD TO MULLINGAR TO CORK, MOVING E AT 25KT.

STRONG WIND WRNG: OCNL E OF FRONT, WDSPR SEA COT, MEAN 20-25KT WITH 30-40KT GUSTS.
    ISOL E OF FRONT, OCNL SEA COT, MEAN 30-35KT WITH 40-50KT GUSTS.
    ISOL W OF FRONT, OCNL SEA COT, MEAN 20KT WITH 30KT GUSTS.

WINDS:

1000FT: 230/30KT, PS03 W OF FRONT, 190/50KT, PS07 E OF FRONT.
    3000FT: 240/35KT, MS02 W OF FRONT, 200/65KT, PS03 E OF FRONT.
    6000FT: 210/80KT W, 220/55KT E BECMG BY 06Z 240/40KT W, 230/65KT E. GEN MS02 BUT BECMG MS08 IN W FM 02Z.

FREEZING LEVEL: GEN 5000FT BUT BECMG 2500FT IN W FM 02Z.

Sudden windshifts were reported at Gurteen and Ballyhaise:

Gurteen: From 190 to 250 degrees at 23:24Z
    Ballyhaise: From 170 to 230 degrees at 23:42Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

In cork, near old head of kinsale, windy but not a major event. over now. Fingers crossed for 30th!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Villain wrote: »
    It is bizarre that Oak Park has only hit 85kmh when my station hit 92kmh, mine is in a frost hollow with higher lands to the South West, gusts at more exposed areas of Tullow must have been in excess of 100km easily.

Drove out of Tullow heading for Myshall about 9 and the car was all over the place.

Picked up here again now with stronger gusts. I'm suprised the power is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Calm in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Calm in Castlebar. Very heavy rain earlier about 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That's great. Hope Westport is calm as well. Be in Clew Bay for 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very quiet, heavy rain between 7-9, but nothing more, we have got more rain in the surrounding areas this year than anywhere else in the country and by a good stretch, so this will just add to the 50 plus year record, not that it will make any news as we are in the west, but 2000mm+ of rain rarely occurs in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Top gust for my location was 98.2km/hr.
    Sustained at 48.4km/hr.
    Rain 8.6mm.

I had slept through it as I was exhausted, I was surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pretzill wrote: »
    Not completely new to the forum but what name will x be? BTW I guessed Frank as next one but haven't been following the nomenclature at all! ;) Welcome Gaoth Laidir.

Xerxes of course

Still gusting after a long loud night; South Kerry mountains 400 asl... been battered with sudden deluges all night, Waiting to see if the back mountains have their Christmas decorations.. Feels chilly too

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hey Grace can I ask where are you (approx.), I have wondered before ? My closest place is Sneem.

SB

I think we have met...I am the other side of Sneem, near Blackwater Tavern, between there and Moll's Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Highest gust in Galway City up to midnight was just 59.6 Kmh at 21.03pm.
    Heavy showers are currently producing much stronger gusts of up up to 70kmh
    Rainfall for yesterday 15.6 mm
    Maximum rain rate recorded was 64.8 mm/hr at 21:14
    The Highest Hourly Rainfall recorded up to midnight was 7.0 mm at 21:48

So we’ve now reached the fifth named storm and so far every one of them has resulted in posts in this forum either criticizing a certain event being named or condemning the whole idea of naming weather systems.
    As someone living {and raised) right on the coast in Connemara, I can understand the posts saying "but this is just another winter gale, we’re well used to it".

But the bottom line is safety. Those winter gales we are so used to have caused plenty of trouble, injuries and deaths down through the years. In many cases it was avoidable if people had been more informed of the impeding weather conditions. Naming these depressions gets them media attention, media is what people tend to rely on for information. This new naming system may well have saved lives already, we'll never know really. But I know it hasn't cost any.

Well said and one thing that always occurs to me is the danger and trouble for the emergency services if we are not warned and careful. Thinking of the teenager who died after being swept off the rocks. Grand to be big and strong but anyone can get into trouble. It may also make us more neighbourly. Looking out for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    In cork, near old head of kinsale, windy but not a major event. over now. Fingers crossed for 30th!

Fingers crossed it doesn't materialise
    People have suffered enough hardship this past few weeks with bad weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Very strong winds in Galway city now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement